Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the concept art in particular gets me

"I need a tool to help me visualize this forest"

*stock photo of trees*

"ah yes, perfect"

EDIT:

quote:

Emotional Story Arc

Finally, we use linguistic sentiment-analysis to score each word according to its latent positive and negative emotions. When we add those numbers up, across the entire book, you can actually see the shape of the story emerge.

When the characters experience conflict, pain, and sadness, the chart goes down. When the characters are happy and content, or when their conflicts resolve, the chart climbs back up again.

For example, here痴 a sentiment analysis chart for The Hobbit, with the one of the final sections of the book selected (containing the emotional low-point of the story). The blue bar represents the number of positive emotional words in the chapter, and the red bar shows the number of negative words. Below the chart, we can see a word-cloud with the actual positive and negative words from the corresponding selection. You can click around on any of the bars to see the emotionally-charged words within the corresponding section of the story.

This incredible tool shows you how the individual word-choices that you make as an author contribute to the shape of the story arc you池e building. These techniques were originally developed by computational linguists at the UVM Computational Story Lab, and now for the first time, they池e available to authors in the general public.

I am speechless

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
how does it compare to scrivener

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This Wanderer guy sounds badass.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am tempted to see if the "emotional story arc" algorithm ends up telling me 1984 has a happy ending

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This Wanderer guy sounds badass.

Why is he the wanderer when he is always in the same place

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am tempted to see if the "emotional story arc" algorithm ends up telling me 1984 has a happy ending

According to this algorithm there are 60% positive words with half of those being strongly positive so I think you know the answer

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

According to this algorithm there are 60% positive words with half of those being strongly positive so I think you know the answer

Winston finally gets over his midlife crisis, ditches the young sidepiece, and decides to be a productive member of society.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

tag yourself im Skeet Creek

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am The Sickness, but dream of being The Butterfly Trap

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

tag yourself im Skeet Creek

I am "Concepts: Blood Magic"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

My posts are all written by WESCAC.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Growing up, the people I knew that wrote fantasy and sci-fi stories tended to have an over-active imagination--dragons that shoot lasers made up of rainbow fragments, robot dolphins with eyes that turn into swords--that needed to be toned down and have consistent logic. Now it seems that wanna-be fantasy and sci-fi writers struggle with how to give their character a potion or describe a forest. I am constantly baffled that there are so many people that want to write extravagant genre fiction but have the imagination of a squirrel with cognitive disorders and need computer programs to tell them how to make a back story for their characters.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
a ufo descends, magically, from the sky.
out walks an alien who, holding a hand aloft in the symbol of universal peace, states:
"science fiction and fantasy is shaped by the material conditions of the society that generates it"

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Growing up, the people I knew that wrote fantasy and sci-fi stories tended to have an over-active imagination--dragons that shoot lasers made up of rainbow fragments, robot dolphins with eyes that turn into swords--that needed to be toned down and have consistent logic. Now it seems that wanna-be fantasy and sci-fi writers struggle with how to give their character a potion or describe a forest. I am constantly baffled that there are so many people that want to write extravagant genre fiction but have the imagination of a squirrel with cognitive disorders and need computer programs to tell them how to make a back story for their characters.

ah yes, the elusive concept of 'worldbuilding'

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's what happens when you're only inspired by just other genre fiction rather than human experience and good literature.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm writing a review of Joe Abercrombie's terrible books for example, and it's very obvious that Abercrombie is writing about aristocracy, military life, colonial politics, and secret police without any familiarity with them outside of fiction, and the genre fantasy elements are there because genre fantasy demands them, not because they serve an interesting artistic purpose.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 11, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hello yes I cannot remember the intricacies of my Harry Potter fan fiction without a 7 dollar a month subscription that tells me if I used enough happy words and references to food

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm writing a review of Joe Abercrombie's terrible books for example, and it's very obvious that Abercrombie is writing about aristocracy, military life, colonial politics, and secret police without any familiarity with them outside of fiction, and the genre fantasy elements are there because genre fantasy demands them, not because they serve an interesting artistic purpose.
Actually, his works are dark and unflinchingly mature.

Randy Marsh posted:

I love how the books are self aware and turn a lot of the fantasy tropes on their heads, such as Bayaz not at all being who he seems, if you go in thinking of him as the typical old wizard who guides the "heroes".

Smashurbanipal posted:

From his own descriptions of "Heroes", that's pretty much Abercrombie's point: everyone is kinda reprehensible and there is absolutely no "good" faction or person. It's all shades of vicious, vindictive, vain and other wise unappealing traits that are written so successfully that you can't help but empathize with the characters.

Glokta is the perfect example of this

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Fuckin deep bro. :drugnerd: My book club chose Good Omens for June, which I've always heard defended as "super funny but thought provoking satire hidden in genre fiction", and the major satire is "What if, like, good and evil were just labels, bro?"

I've been balancing it with Frederick Seidel's poetry, which has been cool and weird, and I've been reading more Roland Barthes essays. I keep meaning to post some Seidel in the poetry thread, but the collection I have has all these weird threads between the poems which makes them feel related or maybe telling a story or just trying to illustrate an (autobiographic?) portrait.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
tropes are deconstructed left and right

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's super frustrating as a critic to see deconstruction misused to mean "referential" by hacks

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i知 reading a journal of the plague year

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I get the feeling BotL was actually talking about something else entirely.

At least partly, because it seems weird to criticize something for being based in tropes rather than reality if the work is explicitly set within and is about these tropes. It's like criticising a black comedy for not understanding death's seriousness.

This is not to say that the books are any good as actual literature.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Tree Goat posted:

i知 reading a journal of the plague year

A dreadful plague in London was in the year sixty-five
that swept a hundred thousand souls away; yet I alive!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

I get the feeling BotL was actually talking about something else entirely.

At least partly, because it seems weird to criticize something for being based in tropes rather than reality if the work is explicitly set within and is about these tropes.

Thing is, this makes absolutely no difference.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
love too deconstruct tropes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*enters thread with his dick out and his pants wrapped around his head*

Behold

I have deconstructed pants

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's cool how really old genre fiction like dime pulps or whatever is always better than contemporary stuff even when it's not very good because the guys writing it had actually read a book that didn't come from a cereal box at some point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Vance posted:

Gersen entered a hall with a floor of immaculate white glass tiles. On one hand was the display wall, characteristic of middle-class European homes; here hung a panel intricately inlaid with wood, bone and shell: Lenka workmanship from Nowhere, one of the Concourse planets; a set of perfume points from Pamfile; a rectangle of polished and perforated obsidian; and one of the so-called "supplication slabs"* from Lupus 23II.

* The nonhuman natives of Peninsula 4A, Lupus 23II, devote the greater part of their lives to the working of these slabs, which apparently have a religious significance. Twice each year, at the solstices, two hundred and twenty-four microscopically exact slabs are placed aboard a ceremonial barge, which is then allowed to drift out upon the ocean. The Lupus Salvage Company maintains a ship just over the horizon from peninsula 4A. As soon as the raft has drifted out of sight of land, it is recovered, the slabs are removed, exported and sold as objets d'art.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 12, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

gently caress this and gently caress whoever wrote it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I didn't read it before, but now I've read it, and I think it's extremely good. Want to find out more about Talbeg script and the Wound.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wait, how the hell is goggles in red when knife isn't? :pwn:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
im reading Pimp by Iceberg Slim and let me tell you this is the story of a boy who wants ot be the pirate king

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I didn't read it before, but now I've read it, and I think it's extremely good. Want to find out more about Talbeg script and the Wound.

With literally no other context than that this is a fantasy novel I would bet money that The Wound is a humongous scar in the earth torn when the Demons entered the world or some similar horseshit

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A gash in other words

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the great quim of gaia

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Hello thread. In Parenthesis by David Jones is a good read, it's probably most of interest to the medieval folks in the thread because of its incredibly extensive medievalism. And the ending is very good. And it has a great sentence pretty much on every page

quote:

Spangled tapestry swayed between the uprights; camouflage-net, meshed with the plunging star-draught.

quote:

he handled his small black book as children do their favourite dolls, who would impute to them a certain personality; he seemed to speak to the turned leaves, and to get his answer.

quote:

The exact disposition of small things末the precise shapes of trees, the tilt of a bucket, the movement of a straw, the disappearing right boot of Sergeant Snell末registered not by the ear nor any single faculty末an on-rushing pervasion, saturating all existence; with exactitude, logarithmic, dial-timed, millesimal末of calculated velocity, some mean chemist's contrivance, a stinking physicist's destroying toy.

quote:

Cloying drift-damp cupped in every concave place.
It hurts you in the bloody eyes, it grips chill and harmfully and rasps the sensed membrane of the throat; it's raw cold, it makes you sneeze末christ how cold it is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm skeptical.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
cloying climp clamp clumped in every concrete cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They're good sentences but also hard to read.