Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

my bitter bi rival posted:

what's your laptop I don't have that problem

Lenovo P51. I wrote out an effortpost about my endeavors into trying Fedora Atomic Workstation before jumping back into Fedora Workstation. I hope to finish / post it, but it started going all over the place. Atomic Worstation is just... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

audio doesn’t work on my GPD Pocket running Ubuntu 18.04 when I’m logged in

when I’m at the login panel it works fine

i have a gpd pocket myself, and i just fixed this issue. you need to update to pulseaudio 12, it has some bugfixes for hdmi out sound. before 12 pulseaudio crashes...

fedora is extremely nice on gpd pockets now, you really should ditch ubuntu

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you don't need any random third party bash/python scripts anymore either, it just works out of the box

(okay, okay, i think i had to remove "rhgb" from the kernel boot command line in /etc/default/grub, the screen rotation thingie doesn't like that plymouth splash screen thingie that fedora uses)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
why did you get gdp pockets? i am curious about the reason you wanted such a tiny laptop. penetration testing stuff?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wanted a hacktop to carry everywhere and run emulators on, for which it’s extremely needs suiting

(the emulators I care about most, Lisp machines, don’t need sound…)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

TimWinter posted:

So, fedora seems to ship with a version of gnome shell that crashes when you plug in external monitors on a laptop. That was fun to debug.

If the screen is locked and I turn on my second monitor, which is attached via displayport, that poo poo locks right up. Intel GPU if it matters.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

eschaton posted:

I wanted a hacktop to carry everywhere and run emulators on, for which it’s extremely needs suiting

i had no idea this was a thing and i want one now

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tankakern posted:

you really should ditch ubuntu

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have to restart my computer if i want to plug in my kindle

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hahaha

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c linux status: after a ton of time putting it off i installed fedora workstation for work and side projects on a 8 year old core duo desktop

its kind of nostalgic, it really feels like i am using an os from 1995, i am amazed they got this far

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i want to try out a tiling wm but xfce is very needs suiting

i also need to know of annoying mechanical keyboards which work on this natively

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i used awesome for a while, it was fine but i realized i dont care about tiling or virtual desktops because i am a simpleton

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

also if anyone can point to some kind of debugging process for usb i'd be interested, i dunno why my kindle doesn't work after a while of uptime. maybe it's sleep related. it doesn't show up in dmesg or lsusb

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

awesome isnt really that good, i3 meanwhile is very good if you get the hang of it. and given that theres a native wayland implementation of i3 now it's probably going to be around for a while

but xfce is a-ok too if you just want something that works and is reasonably straightforward

yes ive used all of these why do you ask

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

awesome isnt really that good, i3 meanwhile is very good if you get the hang of it. and given that theres a native wayland implementation of i3 now it's probably going to be around for a while

but xfce is a-ok too if you just want something that works and is reasonably straightforward

yes ive used all of these why do you ask

now do xmonad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what was the Lisp wm that people used in the early mid 1990s, pre-sawfish and pre-stumpwm?

use that

or hack on clfswm

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

eschaton posted:

Kinda curious, what can you use an emulated Lisp machine nowadays for?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fvwm and awesome look tempting but perl and lua coding in configurations is not what I want from a window manager, so it's openbox or xfce for me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what's the reasoning behind force booting in to a no-network emergency mode if /etc/fstab can't find a mount point?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

minimizing the things that can continue to go wrong when things appear fundamentally broken?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Good to hear re:i3, will try on my new fedora machine.

Although I do really like gnome 3. I never thought I would but it's nice.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

VikingofRock posted:

now do xmonad

If you're concerned with how well it works or how maintainable the haskell you have to write to configure it is, then xmonad isn't for you because you're not a functional programmer.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i used to use i3 everyday at work and it was needs suiting

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hifi posted:

i have to restart my computer if i want to plug in my kindle

lmfao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

i want to try out a tiling wm but xfce is very needs suiting

i also need to know of annoying mechanical keyboards which work on this natively

my wasd code keyboard works on it fine, media keys and all.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TimWinter posted:

i felt the same way but its really good.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i think compiling your wm to change a color is the dumbest thing ever, but here i am enjoying dwm and tinkering in the source when i want something different. there's something with the simplicity and DIY-ness of the suckless apps that reminds me of all the hobbyist poo poo in the 80s/90s.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TimWinter posted:

for i3 ive found stacking mode to be super useful in practice. it effectively results in horiz movement switching between frames, and vert movement switching between windows within the current frame

yeah gnome 3 is fine too, id used it for several years before trying out i3 a few months ago

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

update on my kindle: i ran lsusb as root and it changed something so it works so i guess i just have to do that if i dont want to restart my computer

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

theres probably some user group that you need to be in, or some busted rear end udev config, or both

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there’s nothing short of hardware problems or a kernel bug that’d stop it from showing up in lsusb

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it saddens me that XView and Open Look are dead of 64-bit ABI issues

X could have standardized on them and avoided all the bullshit reinvention of the past 20+ years

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

it saddens me that XView and Open Look are dead of 64-bit ABI issues

X could have standardized on them and avoided all the bullshit reinvention of the past 20+ years

Im not sure why you think that a linux desktop dev would ever say “hmm, actually this subsystem is good enough, let’s maintain the existing code instead of starting over”

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I recently had to manually check for fedora updates since I haven’t received a notification to reboot into update mode for awhile.

Had 900+ packages to update. Has anyone else seen this happen? I hope “update mode” comes back.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Whiteboards/AppMenuMigration

Eight years after GNOME 3 introduced their top-of-screen application menu that nobody outside of GNOME ever used they're dropping it

I thought the idea had merit but there was obviously no way a nothing platform like GNOME 3 could convince devs to adopt that UI standard

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

Eight years after GNOME 3 introduced their top-of-screen application menu that nobody outside of GNOME ever used they're dropping it

I thought the idea had merit but there was obviously no way a nothing platform like GNOME 3 could convince devs to adopt that UI standard

so good of them to constrain their designs to only things that work both on desktops and on phones, even though no one will ever use a gnome phone

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

“no other platform has this pattern”

“doesn’t work well with multiple monitors”

hmm yes there is no other platform with a top of screen menu bar, especially not one that’s supported multiple monitors for 30+ years

(never mind all the platforms that copied it)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

so good of them to constrain their designs to only things that work both on desktops and on phones, even though no one will ever use a gnome phone

wait they’re STILL doing that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
purism paid gnome a bunch of money to do it