Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

peanut posted:

Lmao 8 bedrooms (of normal, usable size) would barely fill the towers. What the hell is in there...

There's just so much space. So much empty, useless, wasted space. Vertical space, horizontal space; everything is cavernous and terrible. loving... why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Brute Squad posted:

I also found a bird bath heater.

What are you talking about? That is the advanced dildo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

scandoslav posted:

There's just so much space. So much empty, useless, wasted space. Vertical space, horizontal space; everything is cavernous and terrible. loving... why?

Let me introduce you to the concept of “conspicuous wealth” aka “I’ve got more money than taste”.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's the "Huge craft studio w triple sink." I was expecting a room where the lady of the house putters around with her paints and whatnot, but really this looks ready to set up a sweat shop. Get a dozen ladies chained to sewing machines in there and you'll never have to buy off the rack again.

Plenty of people with hobbies would kill for that room. Model train guys would be in heaven.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kid sinister posted:

Advanced Siberian dildo warmer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

I've seen shingles like that where half the stacks of them were sitting out in the sun for a while. Like they roofed half the house then the roofers took a week off or something (or quit because the customer was loving nuts)

hell, they probably roofed half the house and then died of old age

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nothing wrong with the bird bath heater, I’ve seems those for keeping water troughs for livestock liquid during winter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Excuse me, I believe I ordered the *large* portfolio of garbage HDR with awful tone-mapping and ghosts everywhere.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
New monkey island looking....suburban??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That is beautiful.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, gently caress you. I've been house-hunting and have started to look forward to lovely phone pictures because at least they haven't been HDR'd to rival the brightness of the loving sun.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ow my brain

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Just imagine if those were Warhammer figures being painted in the foreground and if the cabinets were full of board games and D&D manuals. Somebody is actively enjoying that room which is just odd because of how sterile everything else is.

That towers isn't even accessible enough to hide the satellite dishes on top.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Just imagine if those were Warhammer figures being painted in the foreground and if the cabinets were full of board games and D&D manuals. Somebody is actively enjoying that room which is just odd because of how sterile everything else is.

That towers isn't even accessible enough to hide the satellite dishes on top.

Running the cables there costs more and the homeowner didn’t specifically ask for it so they’re not getting it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus that craft room is larger than any single department when I went to art school.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I love it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

sneakyfrog posted:

multi level fucklympics gym

Finally, something to justify the price tag.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

opengl128 posted:

Only the finest to watch SD content stretched to 16:9.

I'm the Millenium Falcon.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Contractor: Whatchu want?
Customer: You know Cheesecake Factory?
Contractor: Say no more f--
Customer: And Medieval Times?
Contractor: Say no mo--
Customer: And technical colleges?
Contractor: Please, say no more.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wasabi the J posted:

Contractor: Whatchu want?
Customer: You know Cheesecake Factory?
Contractor: Say no more f--
Customer: And Medieval Times?
Contractor: Say no mo--
Customer: And technical colleges?
Contractor: Please, say no more.

I knew the place was reminding me of something, but I couldn’t place it until this moment.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

kid sinister posted:

UrEthraKiller

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

These are, in every way, an improvement over the actual house.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I think this is where you're supposed to meet the dude that takes you to the Thalmor embassy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, it's inside the thalmor embassy where you have to disguise yourself as waitstaff and then murder everyone.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Where will you be when the acid kicks in?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

RoboRodent posted:

If this is a Sims house, this is the room where they keep the art slaves.

Given Texas, it's probably where they home-school their horde of children to keep them from being contaminated by public school with brown kids.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Given Texas, it's probably where they home-school their horde of children to keep them from being contaminated by public school with brown kids.

When you live in a house that big, you don't send you kid to public school.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zil posted:

Where will you be when the acid kicks in?

You mean, it hasn't?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well next time I play D&D and need an illustration for a lord's stately manor, I know what I'm using. The mailbox may throw people off though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Roll for Knowledge (Architecture). 25? That's very good. As soon as you set foot in the house, you are overcome with a sense of despair. Something is fundamentally wrong in this house."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And then, after they get back out of the house...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Even deep dream is disgusted with that house.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Haifisch posted:

And then, after they get back out of the house...

Painted with unicorn tears and farts

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
This was all behind the drywall in a bathroom I just gutted:

The wire that goes down towards the bottom right was for a vanity light. It's kind of dangling down now, but obviously went up before. No box, it just came out through a hole in the drywall (not horribly uncommon on older houses but whatever). The one going towards the upper right goes around a corner, with the same "notch the stud and use a nail to secure the wire" technique, and feeds a receptacle. It's also 14-3 instead of 14-2 for no apparent reason.

Some close-ups:

Let's count the code violations:
1) boxes with no covers
2) inaccessible boxes behind drywall
3) a splice with no box, just twisted and electrical taped, also behind the drywall
4) the box on the right is I guess sort of secured, but mounted wonky as gently caress
5) notching studs to run wires instead of just drilling through the center
6) using bent nails to "secure" the romex in the notch
7) no nail stops where the wires pass through a notch in the stud
8) besides those bent nails, no wires are secured anywhere

Am I missing anything?

Luckily it'll be a pretty simple fix. Pull all 4 of the older cloth-covered wires up into the attic, feed them all into a sufficiently sized junction box, run a new feed out of the junction box and back down into the wall, add a box for the vanity light, staple my loving wires, and hope and pray the rest of the house doesn't look like that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JoshGuitar posted:

and hope and pray the rest of the house doesn't look like that.

Oh sweet child

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

JoshGuitar posted:

Let's count the code violations:
1) boxes with no covers
2) inaccessible boxes behind drywall
3) a splice with no box, just twisted and electrical taped, also behind the drywall
4) the box on the right is I guess sort of secured, but mounted wonky as gently caress
5) notching studs to run wires instead of just drilling through the center
6) using bent nails to "secure" the romex in the notch
7) no nail stops where the wires pass through a notch in the stud
8) besides those bent nails, no wires are secured anywhere

Am I missing anything?

#5 is fine if #7 is followed. It's used in basements a lot to finish the ceilings. Were there any open knockouts without wire clamps? That's another common one.

Reminds me of fixing up my grandparent's master bathroom (can a master bath be only a half bath?) after grandma passed. My grandpa was a real piece of work. I counted 13 code violations behind the mirror once we took it down. They raised 5 kids in that house too.

Does that god awful wood paneling in the next room behind that wall count as a violation?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

kid sinister posted:

#5 is fine if #7 is followed. It's used in basements a lot to finish the ceilings. Were there any open knockouts without wire clamps? That's another common one.

Ok, it may be legal, but I still don't like notching framing members if there's an alternative. Unless the only tools they had were a hammer and chisel, this way probably took 5x as long as drilling holes too.

kid sinister posted:

Does that god awful wood paneling in the next room behind that wall count as a violation?

It's on the inside of a closet, so it's borderline forgivable-ish. They probably installed it back when it was cool, and now who wants to go to the trouble of replacing it inside a closet?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I don't understand the skin-disease-siding trend of the early-mid 00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

I don't understand the skin-disease-siding trend of the early-mid 00s.

94th Aero Squadron lookalike.