Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Something is munching on my peppers. I found a few droppings like this, maybe a rodent or a bird? Doesn't look like rat poop though. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I'm tempted to pull up a stool and ruminate on this green turd problem.

Were these discovered in the morning? Your culprit may be a nocturnal feeder, bigger than a squirrel and smaller than an opposum. I don't think it's a rat, those critters left some presents in my garden this year that more closely resembled brown tic-tacs.

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm tempted to pull up a stool and ruminate on this green turd problem.

This sentence...this sentence is a thing of beauty.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That poop looks like caterpillar frass to me- by the size I'd guess you've got a tomato hornworm lurking somewhere on your plants (they eat other related plants like peppers and tobacco too). First place to look would be any of the leaves and stems directly above where the frass piled up. If you find it and it looks like it's covered in grains of rice leave it alone- those guys are already dead, they just don't know it yet :zombie:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's caterpillar poop for sure. Have fun making involuntary noises when you find the hornworm!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I found a couple of those hornworms in my potted herbs a few years ago. I had someone in the hospital so I like just noticed them one day, thought they looked cool, and then peaced out. A day or two later I go to water in like the 30 minutes i have and those things had eaten drat near everything. I was almost too in awe to be mad.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Marchegiana posted:

If you find it and it looks like it's covered in grains of rice leave it alone- those guys are already dead, they just don't know it yet :zombie:

Nature is beautiful :yayclod:

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've got a courgette (zucchini) plant growing in a pot that seems to be doing quite well except for the fact that I'm only getting female flowers. The flowers open for about half a day before closing again, never re-open and after a couple more days wilt and start to rot. My understanding is that normally you get male flowers before a female, so that when the first female comes in it will (hopefully) be pollinated by a bee, and that if they don't get pollinated you won't end up with any fruit; the developing fruit will just wilt and start to rot like the flowers do. Searching for this problem on the internet is hard because it seems a far more common problem is to have all male flowers and no females.

Since I thought that the courgettes that it's producing so far are no good I decided to pick the first one that grew but it was still firm, not rotting at all (even at the end where the flower was), and when I cut it open and it appears to have small seeds in it. Apologies if this is a stupid question, but am I right in thinking that this means that it has been pollinated, or the plant I'm growing is a type that doesn't need pollination? Would the latter explain why I'm only getting female flowers and why the flowers aren't staying open for long? And that I've hosed up by picking it early?

For reference it's about 6" long and 2.5" thick at the base.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Y'all right. Found one bigass mufucka on it. No wasp eggs though so I just picked it off and squashed it. There were three more on a neighboring tomato bush. Glad I caught them when I did. Should spray some BT later for good measure.

I don't think I've ever seen hornworm poop until now. They're huge! Definitely looks like rodent but the pepper that was eaten was a Trinidad scorpion pepper so I would be hella surprised if a mammal was gnoshing on it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Glad you found them before they went scorched Earth on your poo poo. Like the previous poster, I've seen whole section of healthy garden just razed in a night by those things. I've been on high alert for square poops ever since.

BT is remarkably effective if you keep up with it proactively. During the early part of the garden i usually keep it rotated with BT and spinosad when i fertilize.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Killed a few more right now. Jeez. TIL that their bodies are basically stuffed full of masticated plant pulp and when you cut them with pruners they basically just ooze more green goop than you'd expect them to be able to hold. :barf:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can anyone ID this yellowing/fungus on a tomato? First season in this new place and I'm trying some tomatoes along the side of the yard and this one in a big pot, which HAD been doing the best out of all of them. A couple of the bottom branches always looked kinda crappy, but recently the yellowing seems to be spreading upwards

The bottom, which I wasn't worrying much about :

But now this is at the top:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That looks no bueno to me, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

:getin:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How are you liking your grow bags? I'm trying out a few this year and so far am very happy with them. I hope they'll be more durable than my plastic pots that get brittle and fall apart after a year.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I love the grow bags. If the bag is too tall you can just roll down the excess like cuffing a pant leg. For my tomatoes I put eyelets in around the bag edges and used wire to anchor my cages to the bags, and I haven’t had a tomato cage blow over since.

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

Nosre posted:

Can anyone ID this yellowing/fungus on a tomato?

I'm no expert, but from the spots and the way it starts low and spreads up, it could be blight. I have some Romas that are plagued by it this year. Have you had a long stretch of rainy weather during the season? I did and I've been fighting fungus of all kinds ever since.

You could try Neem oil, but if it's a systemic infection, a surface treatment like Neem might have a limited effect. Could still be worth a shot, though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How are you liking your grow bags? I'm trying out a few this year and so far am very happy with them. I hope they'll be more durable than my plastic pots that get brittle and fall apart after a year.

Love'em. Those are Geopots which have extra good stitching. Work great. Make sure to get the kind with handles, they will come in handy at one point or another.

I don't think Neem will do anything against blight. I would remove (and put somewhere far away) the affected leaves and hope it doesn't spread. If it does remove the plant (and put it somewhere far away) and grow something else there for the next couple of years. I haven't had to deal with this myself (yet) though so I can't speak from personal experience.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 16, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just harvested 9lb of Charlotte potatoes from the patch, not bad from a "throw them in and see what happens" perspective. Now I want to get a late variety and sew those.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

farfegnougat posted:

I'm no expert, but from the spots and the way it starts low and spreads up, it could be blight. I have some Romas that are plagued by it this year. Have you had a long stretch of rainy weather during the season? I did and I've been fighting fungus of all kinds ever since.

You could try Neem oil, but if it's a systemic infection, a surface treatment like Neem might have a limited effect. Could still be worth a shot, though.

Actually the opposite, Belgium has had a ridiculous 6-7 week stretch with like 3 days of rain.

I've had to water all the pot stuff almost every other day

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Nosre posted:

Can anyone ID this yellowing/fungus on a tomato?
Unless you've been pruning very diligently, those look like a determinate variety. The plant will die when it has done its thing. The photos look exactly like my plants in similar sized pots do at the end of the season.

Like, I'm pretty far from an expert, but the internet seems to back me up on this being how it works.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Those really look like indeterminates to me...

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

Unless you've been pruning very diligently, those look like a determinate variety. The plant will die when it has done its thing. The photos look exactly like my plants in similar sized pots do at the end of the season.

Like, I'm pretty far from an expert, but the internet seems to back me up on this being how it works.

I did the 'prune suckers below the first flowers' thing but nothing more than that, so not too diligent I guess. And unfortunately I don't know, I picked 4 different varieties from the seedling section but neglected to write down which was which :v:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I grew some zucchini.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's some beautiful squash. Tomatoes steal a lot of the glory growing stuff at home but I still say a solid brace of zucchini or straightneck yellow is one of the best things you can do.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

mischief posted:

That's some beautiful squash. Tomatoes steal a lot of the glory growing stuff at home but I still say a solid brace of zucchini or straightneck yellow is one of the best things you can do.

Tomatoes are good, while the majority of vegetables are not. Although if you compare tomatoes to fruits they're inferior so there's that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 18, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I grew some zucchini.

Noice.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

GrAviTy84 posted:

Something is munching on my peppers. I found a few droppings like this, maybe a rodent or a bird? Doesn't look like rat poop though. Any ideas?

:stonk: those are fuckin HUGE turds for a catepillar

Also, ALART :derp: A TOMATO HAS FORMED :derp:

Yes, I'm talking about that single, teensy little green pebble in the middle. I loving DID IT. My celebration was cut short considerably when I told my friend and she showed me her tomatoes...

I gave her a bunch of my seeds, which she proceeded to plant in the ground like a sane person. Look at the sheer volume of blossoms she has! Is this normal? I think I must have like 9 blossoms over all six of my plants. It makes me feel... inadequate somehow. :thunk: I think I used too much fertilizer on mine.

My watermelon is doing good though. This one loves all the extra nitrogen. Behold my strangely photogenic watermelon, tomato, sunflower planter:

I saw just this morning that the watermelon is blooming. There's a male flower open at the base of the plant.

And a few weird buds coming out of the vines.

Now I need to figure out how to support all this fruit so it doesn't fall off before I can harvest it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My "Snow White" white strawberries are disappointingly warm pink. They taste pineappley though and my wife who can't stand strawbs really likes them. Any better suggestions for white strawbs next year?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Anybody have an idea why all my poblano peppers are getting these soft spots?

I'm growing a bunch of other peppers and it's only on the poblanos that this is an issue.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Maybe it's really light blossom end rot? Are there moisture issues? It could be a calcium deficiency too.

On the other hand I've heard that young plants will have rot on their first fruits but then "grow out of it". I don't know what the science is behind that.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Pretty sure the head trapped inside is trying to escape and screaming in agony.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Also, ALART :derp: A TOMATO HAS FORMED :derp:

I gave her a bunch of my seeds, which she proceeded to plant in the ground like a sane person. Look at the sheer volume of blossoms she has! Is this normal? I think I must have like 9 blossoms over all six of my plants. It makes me feel... inadequate somehow. :thunk: I think I used too much fertilizer on mine.

I too got super excited when I saw my tomatoes this year. I've never successfully grown them to any decent extent, but this year I just built a raised bed, mixed in a bunch of compost from my bins and planted the seedlings I started when they were ready and the weather was right. I have one variety of cherry tomatoes (Riesentraube) that have between 12-18 flowers per branch. I have three of these monsters and I'm going to be drowning in them.

So you have every right to be excited, and keep going and you'll eventually figure out what they need from your space and climate. It took me a few years to figure out tomatoes, so I'm looking forward to eating every single one. Because last year that's exactly how many tomatoes I got from eight plants. One.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oh man. Congrats on your tomato plants.

Actually now that I think about it I'm really lucky that I even got this far based on all the posts in this thread about how storms and bugs killed their tomatoes. It's so dry and sunny in California that I really don't have to worry about moisture or bugs so that's one thing I got going for me.

I definitely want to try some things next season, although I might focus on watermelons more. Keep growing peeps!!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

First cucamelon disappointingly tasted of nothing at all, wonder if I picked it too early. If they all taste of nothing I'll have to learn to pickle them to get something out of the whole endeavour.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My courgettes were doing great for weeks but in the last two days have suddenly developed a bad issue with rotting ends :(

The weather has been wildly swinging between dull, humid conditions to hot sunshine, so I think that is contributing. Is there much I can do to help them recover and start producing healthy courgettes again?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Enfys posted:

My courgettes were doing great for weeks but in the last two days have suddenly developed a bad issue with rotting ends :(

The weather has been wildly swinging between dull, humid conditions to hot sunshine, so I think that is contributing. Is there much I can do to help them recover and start producing healthy courgettes again?

I dealt with this earlier in the season, I ended up just cutting off the rotted ones and applying some fertilizer that contained calcium. It seems a 50/50 split that its caused by either inadequate watering or a calcium deficiency. Subsequent growth was great until squash borers took them out :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My tomatoes might be growing a little bit out of control. I added stakes, but I probably should have just started them on stakes. Still, they've grown so much from the tiny little shoots I put in the ground a few months ago!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My tomatoes are completely and totally out of control. I've almost given up. I just want to get them tied and pruned enough that I'll be able to find the tomatoes once they go red.

I murdered like a dozen caterpillars from my garden today. I felt a little bad but something's been eating away at my herbs so I was showing no mercy. A bunch of big fuzzy brown ones and then assorted other black and green colorful ones. All died today. I feel a little bad.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
My second attempt at hydroponics since like 7 years ago.

It's not much to look at, but it's a start. 4 Shishito and 4 Fushimi peppers. From what I read they stay fairly small and produce pretty easy compared to bells. These peppers are supposed to be on the sweet side, instead of hot. Its true leaves just sprung up 3 days ago. Under a 320 watt quantum board.

Bibb lettuce. They germinated after 1 full day in the coco coir. 4th day the true leaves are already making an appearance. 14 spots under three 20 watt 6000k LED bars. These were cheap, but curious how well they'll do. If these do well, then I'll do more above and below it.

ijii fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ijii posted:

My second attempt at hydroponics since like 7 years ago.

It's not much to look at, but it's a start. 4 Shishito and 4 Fushimi peppers. From what I read they stay fairly small and produce pretty easy compared to bells. These peppers are supposed to be on the sweet side, instead of hot. Its true leaves just sprung up 3 days ago. Under a 320 watt quantum board.

Bibb lettuce. They germinated after 1 full day in the coco coir. 4th day the true leaves are already making an appearance. 14 spots under three 20 watt 6000k LED bars. These were cheap, but curious how well they'll do. If these do well, then I'll do more above and below it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830&pagenumber=2

Super active hydroponic thread... well not really but it does exist.