Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Waltzing Along posted:

Ebay has 10% ebay bucks today and tomorrow. Not as nice as 15%, but still effectively a 10% discount. You can turn okay deals into good deals.

Ebay sends me coupons all the time, how can you tell which ones work on actual item listings and which are just for things in the "ebay store" or whatever? The fine print isn't always clear, probably so you talk yourself into buying something first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

should have done it in MM1 US box art colors

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ebay sends me coupons all the time, how can you tell which ones work on actual item listings and which are just for things in the "ebay store" or whatever? The fine print isn't always clear, probably so you talk yourself into buying something first.

It's on the front page? You read the details? I never have any problems with this stuff. It's always really clearly laid out.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Finally done ordering all the various parts for the monofig collection.

177 different lots, 35 orders, roughly ~$300 in expenses, and a tremendous amount of time spent on research, cart planning, communicating with sellers, pulling out hairs, more cart planning, etc.
Things got tricky towards the end when i had like ~10 lots left but no sellers had more than 1 or 2 of them. A particular shout out to stores with minimum purchase requirements. I literally had to find €20 worth of random stuff in 4 different stores to buy a single lot of my monofigs. (These extra costs were not included in the above expense)

Now i am looking forward to receiving the remaining orders, then brasso'ing all the prints off of all the various torsos and minifig heads.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ineptitude posted:

Finally done ordering all the various parts for the monofig collection.

177 different lots, 35 orders, roughly ~$300 in expenses, and a tremendous amount of time spent on research, cart planning, communicating with sellers, pulling out hairs, more cart planning, etc.
Things got tricky towards the end when i had like ~10 lots left but no sellers had more than 1 or 2 of them. A particular shout out to stores with minimum purchase requirements. I literally had to find €20 worth of random stuff in 4 different stores to buy a single lot of my monofigs. (These extra costs were not included in the above expense)

Now i am looking forward to receiving the remaining orders, then brasso'ing all the prints off of all the various torsos and minifig heads.

This sounds like a fun challenge. I'd be curious to see the parts list and see how cheaply it could be bought now. 35 orders for 177 lots is a lot, pardon the pun. I just did about 120 lots and was able to squeeze it into 8 orders. Different parts, of course, but still...that seems like far too many.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't imagine that. It's hard enough to get a decent order on normal items. Trying to buy individual parts of minifigs must have been horrendous.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

New X-Wing looks awesome imo. Guess I'm getting a 5th one :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wZo8eKzt4

Theres so much more new going on than just the front end reveals. Love the back side of it too.

The detail level is def higher than the last system scale T65. I only scrubbed through the video, did they say anything about why the rubber bands in front now as well?

Agreed about the rear, looks a lot better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Probably to reduce the wing wobble

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dogen posted:

The detail level is def higher than the last system scale T65. I only scrubbed through the video, did they say anything about why the rubber bands in front now as well?

Agreed about the rear, looks a lot better.

When the S-Foils are in attack position, pushing the peg on the bottom causes the wings to snap together. The rubber and on the front is probably to get a smoother action and to prevent too much stress on the rear parts.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just finished building the DB5. Hell of a build. Looks pretty cool, too. My one complaint is that they used that UCS sign texture plastic for part of the roof (a little more matte) and it’s not too noticeable BUT I KNOW IT’S THERE. I guess they wanted to make that all one piece for stability?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

PRO-TIP: Don't bump into a 6-foot shelf and knock your UCS kit over. :rip:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Get dunked bumped on

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hey I actually found something decent at the op shop for once!

Seems to be all there, with the special screwdriver, and of course the carry-case.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Hey I actually found something decent at the op shop for once!

Seems to be all there, with the special screwdriver, and of course the carry-case.

:wow: nice find

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FBS posted:

PRO-TIP: Don't bump into a 6-foot shelf and knock your UCS kit over. :rip:

Now you get to enjoy building it all over again!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I dropped spaceship x3 today and while the carnage wasn’t as impressive I can’t replace one long tile in the innermost part of the wing mechanism... thinking of either putting it in mothballs or rebuilding it. The wings won’t work without a lot of fuss.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dogen posted:

I dropped spaceship x3 today and while the carnage wasn’t as impressive I can’t replace one long tile in the innermost part of the wing mechanism... thinking of either putting it in mothballs or rebuilding it. The wings won’t work without a lot of fuss.

It's a quick build. Just put it back together properly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use it as an opportunity to remove the wing extending mechanism. That's what I did with mine and I think it's way cooler.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

75198 Tatooine Battle Pack is on offer on UK amazon for ~ £7 Seems like a good price for a droid, Tusken Raider and two Jawas. Especially if you are planning to get the Sandcrawler later this year.

daveline
Nov 22, 2007

Does anyone know what time the VIP sales usually go up? I want to get the Voltron set asap :D

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dogen posted:

take it apart and make a MOC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

daveline posted:

Does anyone know what time the VIP sales usually go up? I want to get the Voltron set asap :D

Midnight EST or PST i believe...

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Midnight est usually. Good luck. Lego's servers can't handle even moderate traffic.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
How long do people think the UCS Falcon will be available? I wanna put aside a bit each month so as to soften the blow, but obviously don't want to completely miss out. Are the double vip point sales at regular times of the year? Would be good to coincide buying it with one.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
You got plenty of time. I'd wager a few years still.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I wonder if Voltron will be any more popular than the DB5. Had no trouble ordering it the day it became available, and weirdly it shipped the same day and came in only 2-3 day, which is much better than Lego’s average shipping performance.

Also if you’re close enough to a lego store I’d imagine you’d be able to get one quite easily release day.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Are any of the current Star Wars UCS sets near the end of their availability? I figure I am going to start picking them up, and wonder if there are any I should prioritize before they go out of print.

According to the LEGO website, the TIE fighter is out of print, and Slave 1 is “hard to find”. Amazon still has both of them for MSRP. Should I be prioritizing either of those, or will they be around for awhile still?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Orvin posted:

Are any of the current Star Wars UCS sets near the end of their availability? I figure I am going to start picking them up, and wonder if there are any I should prioritize before they go out of print.

According to the LEGO website, the TIE fighter is out of print, and Slave 1 is “hard to find”. Amazon still has both of them for MSRP. Should I be prioritizing either of those, or will they be around for awhile still?

'Hard to Find' for Lego just means 'usually only found in Lego stores', instead of general retail.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TIE will probably go OOP first. Slave I has been a better seller, though they’ve both been in production since 2015.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Everyone thought the Slave I was going to cease being available last year, but it must be a good seller because it’s still kicking.

I think “hard to find” means they have a retail deal with one distributor besides the Lego store. Usually if it’s truly exclusive it’ll say exclusive, I believe.

Like Target/TrU (rip) exclusives were “hard to find.”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seems like "hard to find" also means they are getting ready to end it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slave 1 has been "hard to find" for at least 2 years. maybe more. They've been running that set since around the time I got back into Lego, so like 4 years probably. It's kind of crazy the production run on that has been like 3x as long as a normal UCS set. I'd honestly prioritize the snowspeeder, because if it ends up having a life cycle of the Tie it'll be OOP by the end of the year. If they stop making the Slave 1 there will be so many of them in the wild I doubt you'll have to pay much more than retail for a couple of years. MF and the Y Wing should be in production for a good, long while and the Death Star will probably still be in production when we are all dead.

Also, just personal preference but I like the snowspeeder the best by a long shot. It's such a cool set.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TIE will probably go OOP first. Slave I has been a better seller, though they’ve both been in production since 2015.

The TIE is already long OOP. Hasn't been on shelves for a good year or so.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 22, 2018

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah there was a big sale of it last year where I think it was at least $50 off at some places that I guess was a close out. I think some places it might have been even cheaper.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Stopped by the local store since we were in the area anyways and the lady working the floor was nice enough to bring their display Voltron out from the back and let use take a good close look and heft it. Unfortunately they don't open until 10am so no stopping in before work, but I was told they have "plenty" of stock, so fingers crossed for an early lunch break trip.

My 10-yo though it had something to do with Ultron and got his mind blown by the transformation sequence video on youtube.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
The two closest LEGO stores to me have >70 and >50 each for Voltron.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Which 2 Stores? And which store do you mean poster before that? (Sorry, phone-postin’)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Which 2 Stores? And which store do you mean poster before that? (Sorry, phone-postin’)

I'm sure you local store will have enough for you. ;)

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
So we’re on the floor of sdcc and my 3 year old daughter is having a huge meltdown. Some guy with a box comes up and hands her an Apocalpsyton Unikitty... I seriously just stood in the longest line ever after the most harrowing lottery where it was literally the only exclusive I got to get one... so now I have two.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You mean you have one and your daughter has one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

"I'll keep it nice for you so you can enjoy it when you're older" is the only weapon a toy-collecting dad has against the relentless, destructive force of his own spawn.