Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yamaha was still using carbon brushes in their stators (alternators, really) up until the late 70's.

Honda's DOHC Fours did too, up through '82. And they ran the main power through the ignition switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What DOHC bikes did Honda even have before 82?

Certain 6V Yamaha’s used the lights as a voltage regulator.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What DOHC bikes did Honda even have before 82?

DOHC Fours started in '79.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Thanks for the reassurances (and maybe trepidation?) guys. I have done some minor mechanical stuff on my car and helped friends with a couple bigger projects so I’m not afraid of throwing wrenches, and I plan on this being more of a “learning” bike rather than a permanent investment. Really I’m thinking of riding this around the neighborhood, and in a year or so upgrading to a BMW or other crazy foreign bike so that if THAT breaks, I at least have an idea how to troubleshoot instead of being stranded and frustrated.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

High Protein posted:

On my 701 it was about 3 hours of work for a side panel, but they have difficult shapes. The radiator guards were easier. I had pretty much gotten the hang of it at the point by which I was done. I wasn't using the fancy wrap with air channels though. I wouldn't do it again now that I don't have a ton of free time.

Yeah I started watching some videos and I'm pretty sure it'd look like rear end if I tried to do it with my limited free time. Just watching someone do their tank made me not want to do it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It depends on the bike and shapes to be done. Definitely get Hexis, if you can. Theirs goes down so nicely, compared to 3m or avery. Also, get the primer solution for vinyl. I wish I had done that. Lastly, don't be afraid to manhandle it into place. Show it who's boss, drag it into shape. It stretches a little, but not too much.

You'll be way better at it towards the end of the job, right when you've decided you really don't want to vinyl wrap anything again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'd be doing your typical sport bike fairings and they look like they'd be tricky. I'm tempted to try it out, but I'm sure I'd end up riding for a month with half the bike wrapped, then finish it up and have spots that need to get redone but only actually get redone when I sell it. Still may try it though.

These are the fairings I'd be working with:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW used carbon brushes in their alternators until 1994

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MomJeans420 posted:

I'd be doing your typical sport bike fairings and they look like they'd be tricky. I'm tempted to try it out, but I'm sure I'd end up riding for a month with half the bike wrapped, then finish it up and have spots that need to get redone but only actually get redone when I sell it. Still may try it though.

These are the fairings I'd be working with:

Remove all the panels when applying dont do them on the bike.
You dont need to remove wax beforehand, but its needs to be clean and oil free.

Use plenty of soapy water and real heat gun not a hair drier. Get a wrap with air channels unless you wrap things for a living.

You can cut and overlap pieces and have it still look good. Make sure the overlap is in the correct direction so the wind cant lift it up.

You want to work from the center out on large pieces

Source: I make wraps for a living.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 13, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

BMW used carbon brushes in their alternators until 1994

Makes it feel more organic

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
After I crashed my 1998 Yamaha XJ600N, I have not ridden much. I rode for a few short day trips last year on a friend's Triumph Street Triple (oh, what fun!) and a trial and motocross bikes for a day in a gravel pit. This year I had not ridden at all. Until today, when I test-rode a 2018 Yamaha MT-07 (:911:: FZ-07).

Long story short, this was so much fun that I immediately signed the contract for a new one - hooray! This is my reward for myself for managing a major achievement on Wednesday.

I will be getting a new, black 2018 Yamaha MT-07 including a bunch of accessories (including all the crash pads that can fit on this bike...). Any comments and suggestions for this bike are appreciated.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Source: I make wraps for a living.

Would you do the side fairing with a single piece of wrap?

poo poo I should probably move these questions to the question thread, not what bike to buy thread.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Looking at getting a hitch for my 09 escape can anyone recommend a good bike rack? I shouldn't need more than 500lb.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

Use plenty of soapy water and real heat gun not a hair drier. Get a wrap with air channels unless you wrap things for a living.

Most cast films specifically say not to use a wet application, do you just ignore that or are you using calendar film since you're printing wraps?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazzzzz posted:

Most cast films specifically say not to use a wet application, do you just ignore that or are you using calendar film since you're printing wraps?

Every vinyl wrap can go on wet. I dont even know what a cast flim is. Do you mean like embossed stuff like fake exotic leathers?

MomJeans420 posted:

Would you do the side fairing with a single piece of wrap?

poo poo I should probably move these questions to the question thread, not what bike to buy thread.

yes 1 piece if it was a paid job. Do it like a band-aid where you cut the backing down the middle and peel both sides from the middle out as you work it onto the plastic.

For my own bike I would do it in 3-4 because its way easier and looks 90% as good and Im just going to change it a year later so who cares.

Do this part as a separate piece and it will be way way easier

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 14, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
After all this goddamn waiting (ninjette has now been in the shop longer than I got to ride it for), I finally got a call back from the mechanic only to tell me that with the carbs now in pristine condition, they can confidently state that in fact it is the engine which is completely hosed. :suicide:

When it was still not running right after fixing up the carbs, they did a compression test and one of the cylinders is making no pressure at all. They also took out the spark plugs they only just put in roughly five minutes of run time ago, and the one from that cylinder was already sooted up, so yeah. I assume a valve loving exploded or something.

Bill to fix is rapidly approaching what I paid for the bike, they're recommending I call it quits and find something that isn't broken and I'm inclined to agree. I'm more broke now than I was when I bought this bike though... but I'm pissing money up the wall on train tickets and I desperately want to get back on two wheels. So, any suggestions?

Requirements:
- cheap
- highway capable (bearing in mind I felt the ninja 250 was perfectly good enough in this regard)
- won't loving explode

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

After all this goddamn waiting (ninjette has now been in the shop longer than I got to ride it for), I finally got a call back from the mechanic only to tell me that with the carbs now in pristine condition, they can confidently state that in fact it is the engine which is completely hosed. :suicide:

When it was still not running right after fixing up the carbs, they did a compression test and one of the cylinders is making no pressure at all. They also took out the spark plugs they only just put in roughly five minutes of run time ago, and the one from that cylinder was already sooted up, so yeah. I assume a valve loving exploded or something.

Bill to fix is rapidly approaching what I paid for the bike, they're recommending I call it quits and find something that isn't broken and I'm inclined to agree. I'm more broke now than I was when I bought this bike though... but I'm pissing money up the wall on train tickets and I desperately want to get back on two wheels. So, any suggestions?

Requirements:
- cheap
- highway capable (bearing in mind I felt the ninja 250 was perfectly good enough in this regard)
- won't loving explode

Scooter?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Probably. :sigh:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
A ninjette that runs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elite/Helix 250!!!!!!!

you will fall in love with it and never want to get rid of it to boot

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dutymode posted:

A ninjette that runs?

There is actually an identical one near Bristol currently sitting at £370 on ebay, same paint job and everything... a week left on the bidding though. I'll throw my hat in the ring for what I can afford, couldn't hurt.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Aren't there any breakers nearby that would sell you a good engine for a hundred quid?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Shop already looked and couldn't find anything for less than the cost of a genuine Kawasaki rebuild kit, ie ££££, although a quick google is suggesting it's surprisingly easy to stick the engine from a newgen 250 in to a pregen frame, and there's way more of those in the UK than pregen 250 parts...

I'll keep it in mind as a plan B if I decide I'd rather resurrect the ninja than part it out.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I thought the English were all about D.I.Y. and also leaving the EU.

You can do one of those! Just order an ninjette engine on ebay.

How hard could it beeeeeee

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just leave the EU! How hard could it be

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
Any recommendations for a (euro) naked bike? Currently looking at 2000-ish CB919 or Hornet, I'd really like something more upright after riding a CBR 929 for a couple of years, something light and agile is what I'm looking for. Maybe an early Z1000 or a TL1000S? A ZXR or other big muscle bike would be cool but might be a bit too heavy, maybe a bit too nice since it's gonna have to sleep outside. Used to own a SV 650 which was nice but a bit under powered now though I don't mind trading in horsepower.

Budget is about roughly what I'd get for selling my current bike, 2000 929.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

Requirements:
- cheap
- won't loving explode

What's your actual budget, also https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZR400-Exup-1988-E-Reg-Restored-with-V5-Log-Book-MOT-HPI-Clear-FZR-400-/283061376084?oid=151441913059

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jujube posted:

Any recommendations for a (euro) naked bike? Currently looking at 2000-ish CB919 or Hornet, I'd really like something more upright after riding a CBR 929 for a couple of years, something light and agile is what I'm looking for. Maybe an early Z1000 or a TL1000S? A ZXR or other big muscle bike would be cool but might be a bit too heavy, maybe a bit too nice since it's gonna have to sleep outside. Used to own a SV 650 which was nice but a bit under powered now though I don't mind trading in horsepower.

Budget is about roughly what I'd get for selling my current bike, 2000 929.

SV1000!!!!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yamaha fz6n(2008+ for abs) , honda hornet 600 (2007+ with new frame + abs), Suzuki GSR600(2007+ with abs) all are around 200KG wet and 90-100 hp

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks for all the previous advice on a second motorcycle purchase. I wound up going with a Yamaha XSR700. I sat on it at the dealer and the fit was good and I felt more confident I'd be ok handling it in traffic than the VStrom 1000. The insurance was half what the VStrom would have cost too which certainly helped.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
you made the right choice, vstroms are boring. the xsr has a nice engine sound for a ptwin and looks nice

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Supradog posted:

Yamaha fz6n(2008+ for abs) , honda hornet 600 (2007+ with new frame + abs), Suzuki GSR600(2007+ with abs) all are around 200KG wet and 90-100 hp

Looking at bikes that aren't too old, don't have too many miles, etc, you always see those three pop up (and the fj6) but they've always struck me as bikes nobody really wants to own, you just settle for them.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've noted the same thing with general low milage on those, but I think it's more a function of the type of bike they are. They're not normal first bikes of choice for touring or 2 up riding. Which means people use them for shorter trips or move on to other bikes. They're also not "special" enough to be the rare awesome second bike you keep for kicks.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

High Protein posted:

but they've always struck me as bikes nobody really wants to own, you just settle for them.

I'd like to disagree.

But also agree with what Supra says, they're not touring bikes, great for around town or getting out onto twisties etc, but not something super duper special.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IMO those are the bikes people buy when they don't know what kind of bike they want but know they want something bigger and faster aka can't yet ride properly but also don't want to be really stupid and get something genuinely fast.

Also old men who learned to ride on slabby gixxers and just want something fuss free that's easy on their hips.

Also sometimes women who want a big bike but have to compromise with physical reality.

So basically

High Protein posted:

Looking at bikes that aren't too old, don't have too many miles, etc, you always see those three pop up (and the fj6) but they've always struck me as bikes nobody really wants to own, you just settle for them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would love to own a hornet 600 but they’re rarely available in my area

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone actually make a tire like this or did the owner get some retarded aftermarket siping done?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm guessing the bike isnt yours yet, so you dont know what kind of tire it is?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

does anyone actually make a tire like this or did the owner get some retarded aftermarket siping done?

Pilot Road 3 or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fifty Three posted:

Pilot Road 3 or similar.

that checks out
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-3-tires