Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

veiled boner fuel posted:

That’s part of why I was thinking maybe I should keep the HTPC separate from the plex server and put something together with a new lowish horsepower processor.

My advice is still start out running it on what you have and you'll quickly determine if you want something more efficient.

The exception concerns how you want to handle media storage. There are a lot of options, some of them simple, and some decidedly less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At $30, the current gen Roku Xpress is pretty good. No Ethernet on that mind, but the WiFi works pretty well in my setup. I can’t say I like the UI anywhere near as much as the one on my Apple TV, but it’s a cheaper buy (and the Xfinity app means I can have my full cable package) so I have one in my bedroom.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The TV upstairs would be the main one, it’s a 3 year old Samsung I think, not sure an app could be installed on it. I’ll just buy a Roku or something I guess.

Laptops and iPads also.

I have a 3ish year old Samsung SmartTV and it has a plex app that works fine. At least try it before you run out and buy a Roku.

That’s part of why I was thinking maybe I should keep the HTPC separate from the plex server and put something together with a new lowish horsepower processor.

figure out a rough guess for the power usage of your processor:
TDP * (365 days / year) * (24h / day) * (kW / 1000 W) = kWh/year

For the 4670K the TDP is 84W so the answer is 735.84 kWh/year. Now figure out what you pay per kWh, let's assume the national avg of 12 cents. That would be $88/year to run your current processor 24 hours a day. (You're not gonna be hitting the TDP rate all the time but this is just a close-enough kind of thing).

Looking at the modern lineup they have the U line of processors for power savings but those are only available in laptops from what I can tell and you probably don't want a laptop for a plex server since that makes hooking storage up to it annoying. But if you do you can get an i5-8350U. The TDP is 15W so that's $15/year. The cheapest laptop that has an 8350U is like $900 so it'll be 12 years before you get an ROI on the power savings of the new processor.

If you go with a standard i3 to save some money and use a form factor that allows you to throw some storage in the same case as the processor you could get the i3-8300 with a TDP of 63W ($129) or an i3-7350K with a TDP of 60W ($188). The ROIs on just the processors are 5.8 years and 6.4 years, respectively. The ROI timetable probably gets up near the same as laptop or higher once you throw in a motherboard, case, ram, and PSU.

Anyway what I am saying here is it doesn't make any sense to do a new build for the purposes of using less power unless you A) really care about using less power for a non-money reason or B) want another computer.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
How’s the format support / direct play on the 2018 TCL 55” Roku TV?

Better / worse / same-ish as a Roku stick+?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be the wrong place to ask, but: my really ancient external DVD drive crapped out on me so I, without doing any research, went and just bought a $20 LG one at Best Buy. Now when I try to rip DVDs (I've been slowly ripping my DVD-only TV shows like Upright Citizens Brigade and Reno 911, etc.) MakeMKV only rips at like 2x. I've gathered that this is because of riplock, or something similar that LG has dubbed "Silent Play." Is there any way to disable this? I don't mind letting it rip slowly but if I don't have to I'd rather not.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

crestfallen posted:

How’s the format support / direct play on the 2018 TCL 55” Roku TV?

Better / worse / same-ish as a Roku stick+?

I have the 2018 65'' - it's the equivalent of a Roku Ultra with the added benefit of Dolby Vision, which no standalone Roku supports yet. It works great. Fantastic TV for the price too.

I have an Ultra on my Sony downstairs so this is a direct comparison. Really like the updated Roku line. Though if you are annoyed by home screen ads you'll want to install a pi-hole on your network (which fortunately is cheap and easy) to block them. Also blocks ads network wide which is nice.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

My Samsung tv plex app plays 4K 10 bit. I play the straight rips, I don’t reencode them. :shrug:

I know it's being re-encoded because Plex says it's a 1080p file and there are serious artifacts in dark areas of movies.

Dren posted:

For the 4670K the TDP is 84W so the answer is 735.84 kWh/year. Now figure out what you pay per kWh, let's assume the national avg of 12 cents. That would be $88/year to run your current processor 24 hours a day. (You're not gonna be hitting the TDP rate all the time but this is just a close-enough kind of thing).

Can also undervolt the CPU and drop TDP by 10-20w and keep the maximum boost clocks.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SlayVus posted:

I know it's being re-encoded because Plex says it's a 1080p file and there are serious artifacts in dark areas of movies.

Can also undervolt the CPU and drop TDP by 10-20w and keep the maximum boost clocks.

Your tv may not support 4K 10 bit in the app. I’m mobile posting or I’d look it up for you but the Samsung plex app format support is dependant on what codecs the tv has. You can find Samsung developer documentation that lists tv model numbers and and what formats they support. I think I found it through a link from plex’s help or forums.

You might also be having an issue with the app detecting your server as remote and forcing a transcode to the app’s remote settings. This happened to me. I had to go into my plex server and allow insecure connections from my local subnet, then I think I turned off the secure connection in the app and then my server showed as local and the 4K stopped transcoding. The transcoded 4K looked awful. Way worse than a 1080p rip.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FYI: To tell if there’s transcoding or not, open the web view and hit the Status button at the top and the thumbnail will show whether Video and/or Audio are being transcoding or direct play. Most hardware outside of PCs and the nvidia Shield tend to at least have to do the audio track due to codecs.

I did the fun thing of moving my stand up folder to another drive today. Always the worst part of plex ownership, as stand up is a pain for auto matching and I lost all my collections doing so. Yay. Could have been worse, but still.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The queue's at 405, although I'll be adding another 19 to it tonight.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did the fun thing of moving my stand up folder to another drive today. Always the worst part of plex ownership, as stand up is a pain for auto matching and I lost all my collections doing so. Yay. Could have been worse, but still.

I thought once you've got content in your library, Plex subsequently matches it by file hash if you were to move it elsewhere? :confused:

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask, but: my really ancient external DVD drive crapped out on me so I, without doing any research, went and just bought a $20 LG one at Best Buy. Now when I try to rip DVDs (I've been slowly ripping my DVD-only TV shows like Upright Citizens Brigade and Reno 911, etc.) MakeMKV only rips at like 2x. I've gathered that this is because of riplock, or something similar that LG has dubbed "Silent Play." Is there any way to disable this? I don't mind letting it rip slowly but if I don't have to I'd rather not.

See if there are drivers for your specific drive. Your OS might just be using a generic one that limits the speed

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Atomizer posted:

I thought once you've got content in your library, Plex subsequently matches it by file hash if you were to move it elsewhere? :confused:

Yeah was hoping for similar, I did the move in a pretty thoughtful way too - duplicated the main folder, edited the library location to point to the new one (didn’t remove anything). Wasn’t enough for it!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Gillman posted:

See if there are drivers for your specific drive. Your OS might just be using a generic one that limits the speed

It's the LG SP80NB80, their website lists it as plug and play unfortunately.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dren posted:

You might also be having an issue with the app detecting your server as remote and forcing a transcode to the app’s remote settings. This happened to me. I had to go into my plex server and allow insecure connections from my local subnet, then I think I turned off the secure connection in the app and then my server showed as local and the 4K stopped transcoding. The transcoded 4K looked awful. Way worse than a 1080p rip.

This is also a good point too. I had the same issue for local playback where my server was being detected as remote and forcing transcodes. I had to do a DNS rebind in my router settings in order for my Plex server to show up as 'Nearby' instead of 'Remote' and that solved all forced transcoding issues allowing for proper direct playing/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ixian posted:

Yep! And when it works it is seriously awesome since those are usually the best/most accurate subs.

Image-based extraction is tricky and it doesn't always work but in those cases it'll find external files. Does a good job handling different providers, setting rules based scoring, etc. Like most automated processes it isn't 100% perfect but I'd say it's over 90% accurate for me and that is still great.

I just don't like seeing a list of PGS subs in the client since those are always listed first before the SRT ones. Minor nitpick but be nice to be able to hide them from appearing in the selection list for clients.

You can use mkvpropedit to flip the default bit to off on the "forced" subs. Then you would have to select the track if you want it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

You can use mkvpropedit to flip the default bit to off on the "forced" subs. Then you would have to select the track if you want it.

That's not what I meant. What I'm talking about is, if you rip a BD disk with PGS subs (I used to do a lot of them like that) when you play it in the client and go to select subs you get the list of them, in addition to whatever srt files you either downloaded or had Subzero extract from the PGS. Only way to avoid this is to go back and edit each rip to flat out remove them.

Like I said, minor nitpick.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ixian posted:

That's not what I meant. What I'm talking about is, if you rip a BD disk with PGS subs (I used to do a lot of them like that) when you play it in the client and go to select subs you get the list of them, in addition to whatever srt files you either downloaded or had Subzero extract from the PGS. Only way to avoid this is to go back and edit each rip to flat out remove them.

Like I said, minor nitpick.

Ah OK, misunderstood. You could remux them to take out the stream I believe using the same program if you are happy with the external files you have.

In theory you could mux in the ones you want easily.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah stripping out the subs afterwards is easy, it’s just an rear end and takes time which is why I’m sure he hasn’t bothered and leaves it as a minor niggle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

teagone posted:

This is also a good point too. I had the same issue for local playback where my server was being detected as remote and forcing transcodes. I had to do a DNS rebind in my router settings in order for my Plex server to show up as 'Nearby' instead of 'Remote' and that solved all forced transcoding issues allowing for proper direct playing/

You could just crank up the streaming settings for remote servers too.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

It's the LG SP80NB80, their website lists it as plug and play unfortunately.

They have a firmware update on their support page you can try if you haven’t already

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah stripping out the subs afterwards is easy, it’s just an rear end and takes time which is why I’m sure he hasn’t bothered and leaves it as a minor niggle.

I've done it for a couple. Larger titles take 15-20 minutes. I know I could batch them all up with MKVToolnix, then check, then delete originals, then have Plex re-scan, and probably when I stop being lazy I'll do that but:

Given that Plex clients already have an option around using image-based subtitles or not (to prevent unnecessary transcoding for files that would otherwise direct play) it would be cool if it could just "hide" PGS subtitles entirely. I am not holding my breath (I recall making this request a year or two ago).

Only real-world issue is when my wife turns on subtitles and just picks the PGS ones (because unless you really were in to this who the gently caress would know or bother to remember) and triggers a transcode, which for HDR titles will break them.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Gillman posted:

They have a firmware update on their support page you can try if you haven’t already

That looks like the sp80nb60 unfortunately. The nb80 doesn't list anything at all.

On another note (is there a general media ripping thread that this stuff would be better suited for?) if I'm ripping a non-anamorphic DVD (ripping with makemkv and then encoding with Handbrake) the default behavior seems to be to make the resulting file anamorphic. Is there any reason not to let it do this? Obviously it's taking a quality hit but my TV would zoom it anyway and given that the DVD is non-anamorphic to start with quality isn't really relevant.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RichterIX posted:

That looks like the sp80nb60 unfortunately. The nb80 doesn't list anything at all.

On another note (is there a general media ripping thread that this stuff would be better suited for?) if I'm ripping a non-anamorphic DVD (ripping with makemkv and then encoding with Handbrake) the default behavior seems to be to make the resulting file anamorphic. Is there any reason not to let it do this? Obviously it's taking a quality hit but my TV would zoom it anyway and given that the DVD is non-anamorphic to start with quality isn't really relevant.

Just don't encode your DVD is my solution. It probably will direct play on anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

H110Hawk posted:

Just don't encode your DVD is my solution. It probably will direct play on anything.

You’d think, but MPEG2 is essentially deprecated now (despite still being the OTA codec of choice until the new standard rolls out) so lots of set top boxes don’t contain direct support for it. Roku, Apple TV etc

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

You’d think, but MPEG2 is essentially deprecated now (despite still being the OTA codec of choice until the new standard rolls out) so lots of set top boxes don’t contain direct support for it. Roku, Apple TV etc

No poo poo? Huh. I assumed roku at least had it via ffmpeg software decoding.

Nothing surprises me with Apple though. I am surprised that they allow plex at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

H110Hawk posted:

Nothing surprises me with Apple though. I am surprised that they allow plex at all.

I've got a drat "Smartcast" TV that doesn't have an MPEG2 decoder.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I'm actually surprised that by default Handbrake is producing anamorphic output, especially if the input wasn't wide-frame to begin with. I haven't checked my settings in a long time, but ultimately I don't think it's going to make a huge difference (especially with only SD/ED content to begin with from DVDs.)

I also don't think it matters as long as the player identifies the anamorphic source and flattens the image anyway.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn't even realize this was a thing to begin with. I've only been transcoding for data compression reasons; I'm glad I didn't leave my stuff in MPEG-1/2 to begin with which, based on the sounds of things, would require the server to transcode anyway and take up more space on top of that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Atomizer posted:

I'm actually surprised that by default Handbrake is producing anamorphic output, especially if the input wasn't wide-frame to begin with. I haven't checked my settings in a long time, but ultimately I don't think it's going to make a huge difference (especially with only SD/ED content to begin with from DVDs.)

I also don't think it matters as long as the player identifies the anamorphic source and flattens the image anyway.

Yeah, it didn't even occur to me because I've never ripped anything non-anamorphic before, but all these old Tai Seng DVDs are 1.85:1 with black bars and Handbrake seems to have accurately cropped them? I haven't sat down and really watched them to make sure that it didn't crop anything out but it seems okay if a little ugly from being blown way up?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Queue at 320 after those aforementioned recent additions.

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, it didn't even occur to me because I've never ripped anything non-anamorphic before, but all these old Tai Seng DVDs are 1.85:1 with black bars and Handbrake seems to have accurately cropped them? I haven't sat down and really watched them to make sure that it didn't crop anything out but it seems okay if a little ugly from being blown way up?

I'll admit that we're getting into Handbrake settings territory that I'm no longer familiar with; I did my research and created my HEVC preset and have been using it ever since for the past couple of years, so I've lost track of the nuances of all the available configuration options. I will note that, on the "Picture" tab you do have options for both Anamorphic* state and Cropping, both of which you've touched on. I have "Anamorphic" set to "automatic," but the Handbrake manual states, "Typically recommended that you leave this on 'loose'. If your source is not anamorphic, having this set to an anamorphic option will not affect the output. Thus, it is safe to leave on." This suggests that "Automatic" forces an anamorphic output, and that you have it set to this as well, so changing it to "loose" is likely the better option.

The other thing you mentioned about black bars I do recall, and it's strongly suggested to let Handbrake remove them, because they're basically only used to pad out video to get it to fit a different aspect ratio (which shouldn't be necessary on modern systems.) The manual states, "HandBrake by default will try and detect and crop black bars from the video. Encoding black bars increases the encode time and the amount of disk space required, so it’s best to let HandBrake remove them." Furthermore, "HandBrake’s auto-crop is not perfect. It’s giving you a best guess at what the crop values should be. If you find it gets it wrong, which is not that common, you can adjust them by selecting the “Custom” option."

Beyond that, I don't think the above settings are affecting your output; if anything, you're likely ripping and transcoding, the latter of which will impact the resulting video. I've elaborated on this in the thread, but the basis is that DVDs generally store video in MPEG-1 or -2, neither of which are great codecs compared to contemporary options, and you can have the same quality at a lower file size if you transcode to AVC or HEVC. The Video tab in Handbrake gives you output quality options, and if you notice that there's a degradation in your output from DVDs you can make adjustments here.

*Honestly, I don't see why "anamorphic" has much meaning anymore, because it referred to the use of lenses to warp an image to get one aspect ratio to fit within the dimensions of film of a different aspect ratio, and then the proper lenses to project that image out to the desired ratio. In modern [digital] systems (referring to the host device and the display, be it a panel or projector) they should be able to take [non-anamorphic] video of any dimensions and output it to the display, with whatever desired adjustments (e.g. zooming & cropping, stretching, etc.)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know of any clients that use ffmpeg on a Roku. One, I don't know that it'd even work on Roku OS and two, ffmpeg is a patent-laden minefield due to AVH/h.264 and also aac.

FOSS software like Kodi uses it because they are non-profits incorporated outside of the US and thus give less of a gently caress about potential patent issues, but commercial software is a different story. It's one of several reasons, for example, that Plex clients don't include it (even on platforms that it would work on) only the server. It's an arms-length arrangement on purpose.

Though I've often wondered how well it would hold up in court for them...the MPEG-LA license is less than clear on this point:

http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Documents/avcweb.pdf

BTW many commercial entities, like Apple, etc. do have licenses from MPEG-LA but those are for their own decoders.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

New user here and just kinda assumed I'd need the Pass to access my library remotely. Is that untrue?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

codo27 posted:

New user here and just kinda assumed I'd need the Pass to access my library remotely. Is that untrue?

That is untrue.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

codo27 posted:

If you want to save it to a mobile device and access it off line you need a pass, otherwise no.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If I sync content to my phone and then delete it from the sync library, it doesn't actually delete the content from the server, right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, just clears from the phone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

IOwnCalculus posted:

You could just crank up the streaming settings for remote servers too.

The problem with doing this — if your router has DNS rebinding protection — is being limited by your ISPs upload speed. It's a weird anomaly with how secure connections work with Plex. Here was my thread on the Plex forums detailing the issue that was resolved by editing the dnsmasq files on my router: https://forums.plex.tv/t/why-does-enabling-secure-connections-make-my-server-appear-as-remote-to-pcs-on-the-same-network/169487/3

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's loving weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna guess it’s related to that stupid thing where Plex server is an absolute rear end if you’re on a network, but don’t have an internet connection.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It's how they get HTTPS to work everywhere.

EDIT:
Basically when you go to https://app.plex.tv it needs to pull information from your actual server, which it does by connecting to e.g. https://9-8-7-6.stuff.plex.direct which matches the HTTPS certificate, and then javascript rebinds it to actually go to https://9.8.7.6

When you're on LAN, you're connecting to e.g. https://192-168-1-111.stuff.plex.direct which then plex tries to rebind to https://192.168.1.111 which exactly what "bad" dns rebinding attacks try to do to access LAN resources over the internet (by e.g. transforming http://bad.website into http://192.168.1.10 and then having javascript push whatever it finds back out). So if that's blocked, it falls back to the external route https://9-8-7-6.stuff.plex.direct -> https://9.8.7.6 which shows up as remote.

When you don't connect over HTTPS it doesn't need to bother with the URL rebinding fuckery and it just grabs what it needs from http://9.8.7.6 or http://192.168.1.111 directly

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
nm

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 24, 2018