Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Zil posted:

Does the scale of that house seem off to anyone else?
Too tall, narrow and flat, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh lord, I was searching for some photos and found this guy's blog. He's a realtor in Pheonix but he posts some of the most amazing ugly houses and terrible staging that pops up on the MLS

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/ and https://moreuglyhousephotos.tumblr.com/

Here's just one in particular

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/2017/10/01/stoned-high-on-glue/

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Leperflesh posted:

Bleach is not an effective mold remediation product. It does not penetrate, and the mold you see on the surface is just part of the organism. Bleach rapdily neutralizes so it has no long-term remediation effect, and it does not penetrate to kill the mold below the surface. It is OK to use on completely nonporous surfaces like glass, but in the case of glass, no product is needed because it will come off with nothing more than a damp sponge.

You should treat the wall with a lasting mold remediation product. In the US I'd recommend Concrobium; I don't know if that is available in your country.

The wall is a slab of concrete, so I kind of doubt there's anything for mold to live off inside the wall. I also did a bit of research and every website said that bleach would work just fine in most cases.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I don't know if this type of dense construction is good or not, but in my area some of the builders have started setting up "six pack" homes where they put 6 detached, single family houses together with a shared driveway. They bill them as "walkable communities" and are usually not too far from a communal park or clubhouse or whatever

So this looks like a more rectilinear (and thus better for navigating) version of standard English suburbs with their cul de sacs.

I like the thought of the communal driveways in your example because the lack of through-driving is going to be better for kids to play.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I don't know if this type of dense construction is good or not, but in my area some of the builders have started setting up "six pack" homes where they put 6 detached, single family houses together with a shared driveway. They bill them as "walkable communities" and are usually not too far from a communal park or clubhouse or whatever

"Walkable" for very specific values of walkable. If you want to eat though:

That's the closest grocery (or any commercial, really).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

The wall is a slab of concrete, so I kind of doubt there's anything for mold to live off inside the wall. I also did a bit of research and every website said that bleach would work just fine in most cases.

Concrete is semi-porous, the mold is definitely in it, and most of the websites that recommend bleach are promulgating incorrect information because it is already very widespread so lots of people incorrectly think they know.

Bleach does not penetrate. Bleach is toxic, and often reacts to produce dioxins, which are cancerous. Bleach rapidly decomposes, so it does not last. Bleach is mostly water; as the chlorine active ingredients dissipate, what it leaves behind is what mold loves: water.

OSHA and the EPA both no longer advise the use of bleach for mold remediation. They used to do so, which is one of the reasons the incorrect advice to use bleach is so widespread. The National Organization of Remediators and Mold Inspectors recommends against using bleach for mold remediation.

If you've already treated with bleach, don't worry: it's not like you've ruined your wall. But I'd highly recommend buying a mold remediation product rated for your material (in this case, concrete) and applying it as directed, before resurfacing that wall with something else.

e. Bleach is now made with 4-6% sodium hypochlorite and 0.01-0.05% sodium hydroxide, not chlorine; but the advice above is the same. These ingredients rapidly dissipate, leaving behind the ~95% water that the above were in solution in.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 23, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

That's also an active dairy farm right in the middle of that community :newlol:

(eventually that middle section is supposed to be retail but it'll probably take decades until it's all built out)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That sub development is a suburb version of hell god theres not even a yard

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Let's replace all the yards with driveway instead!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That sub development is a suburb version of hell god theres not even a yard

Not having a yard seems like one of the few perks of that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Qwijib0 posted:

At east it's convenient to the airport ! Chino probably doesn't get a LOT of traffic, but that'd still suck.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Oh lord, I was searching for some photos and found this guy's blog. He's a realtor in Pheonix but he posts some of the most amazing ugly houses and terrible staging that pops up on the MLS

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/ and https://moreuglyhousephotos.tumblr.com/

Here's just one in particular

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/2017/10/01/stoned-high-on-glue/

I kinda like the "supernova as seen from a neighboring galaxy" look on the ceiling

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mllaneza posted:

At east it's convenient to the airport ! Chino probably doesn't get a LOT of traffic, but that'd still suck.

Popular Direct Flights from Chino

Chino (CNO) to Napa, CA (APC)
Chino (CNO) to Apple Valley, CA (APV)
Chino (CNO) to Austin, NV ()
Chino (CNO) to Auburn, CA (AUN)
Chino (CNO) to Tucson, AZ (AVW)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's the sort of development that's OK on it's own but is terrible when whole towns get built like that (which they will, because that's probably the most profit you can make while still obeying the zoning rules)

>70% impermeable surfaces in a standalone residential area boggles my mind a bit but I guess you can get away with that when it never rains.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 24, 2018

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWGzd21ENI

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Some seriously :stonk: poo poo in there. Like, just burn the house down and start over.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SubponticatePoster posted:

Some seriously :stonk: poo poo in there. Like, just burn the house down and start over.

They've tried, but the fire doesn't even want to be seen in those houses.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That's a good point, I suppose it might be culs de sacs though, corners of bags.

Also that is the most stilted acting I've seen in forever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That’s literally the entire show except for when they’re fighting. Then they talk to other folks a ton instead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So here's a question. Suppose you wanted a new construction house that isn't a cheapest possible builder grade material McMansion. Like a 1200 square foot craftsman bungalow, but with modern insulation, wiring, and hvac designed in.

How do you even go about getting that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Liquid Communism posted:

Find a lot, get an architect and construction company and contractors and build it??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FCKGW posted:

Suckling pig houses.

Buff Skeleton posted:

I kinda like the "supernova as seen from a neighboring galaxy" look on the ceiling

Nah. Supernovae in neighbouring galaxies take telescopes to see, even ones in the closest major galaxy, Andromeda.

Supernovae in our own galaxy can outshine every other star in the sky put together. We are three centuries overdue for one.

Now gamma ray bursts: those you want to be far, far away from. This GRB was three thousand times more distant than the Andromeda supernova, seven and a half billion light years, yet it was visible to the naked eye. If one happens next door and it’s aimed at us (they’re directional, thankfully), everyone dies.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

So here's a question. Suppose you wanted a new construction house that isn't a cheapest possible builder grade material McMansion. Like a 1200 square foot craftsman bungalow, but with modern insulation, wiring, and hvac designed in.

Move to Japan, that's what they do here :c00lbutt: Maybe not the hvac by default but you can get it if you ask.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FilthyImp posted:

Find a lot, get an architect and construction company and contractors and build it??

And go to the jobsite every goddamned day and double-check the work. Eventually, you can just show up on random days, but it ought to keep the fuckery to a minimum.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

And go to the jobsite every goddamned day and double-check the work. Eventually, you can just show up on random days, but it ought to keep the fuckery to a minimum.

The problem that I found with this is one of three things happens, 1. the issue is low-technical enough that you can spot the issue, like a wall is in the wrong place or a doorway is too short, 2. the issue is just technical enough that they can bullshit you, 3. it looks fine to you but isn't (e.g. plastering)

schmug
May 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

McMansion should be wordfiltered in this forum. You guys are running it into the ground.

I second this. There is a difference between bad taste and building a place that should cost into the millions(depending on location) for a few 100k in like a month.

The Bloop posted:

Petition to word filter McMansion into BigFactory

I also second this. It makes about as much sense as the way people use McMansion around here.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Double Wide with a dormer and a porch. Done.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Filter McMansion to "my house" TIA.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leperflesh posted:

Bleach does not penetrate. Bleach is toxic, and often reacts to produce dioxins, which are cancerous.

C'mon. I'm not disputing anything you say on the wisdom of using bleach to treat mold infestations, but this right here is just fearmongering. Household bleach is about as toxic as the cement in the wall itself, and here are some other sources of dioxins:

Eating things
Cooking things
Burning wood in a fireplace or fire pit.
Charcoal grilling.

There are tons of good reasons to do what you say, but the potential to produce some utterly insignificant amount of dioxin is not really one of them.

Platystemon posted:

Supernovae in our own galaxy can outshine every other star in the sky put together. We are three centuries overdue for one.

Betelgeuse could go any day now!

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 24, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Know what else has Sodium Hypochlorite? Pretty much every swimming pool you swam in growing up.

They also had pee in them

You swam in pee

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dare you enter my magical realm

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did You Know that the "chlorine smell" comes entirely from the chlorine reacting with piss?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Devor posted:

Know what else has Sodium Hypochlorite? Pretty much every swimming pool you swam in growing up.

They also had pee in them

You swam in pee

Please don't kinkshame the president.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Betelgeuse could have gone any day in the last 640 years now!

Fixed that for you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Now gamma ray bursts: those you want to be far, far away from. This GRB was three thousand times more distant than the Andromeda supernova, seven and a half billion light years, yet it was visible to the naked eye. If one happens next door and it’s aimed at us (they’re directional, thankfully), everyone dies.
Fun fact: there could be a local gamma ray burst heading for us right now and the first we'd know about it is being bombarded with death rays from space.

e: to clarify, the death rays would be from our own sun due to our sudden lack of ozone layer.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 24, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

Fun fact: there could be a local gamma ray burst heading for us right now and the first we'd know about it is being bombarded with death rays from space.

e: to clarify, the death rays would be from our own sun due to our sudden lack of ozone layer.

You wouldn't even have time to register it happening. Once second all is normal, the next... gone and UV rays start to gently caress everything up

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 24, 2018

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

kid sinister posted:

Behold, the lid to Schrodinger's Box, and you're the cat. Will you be dead when the firefighters find you?

Give him the stick.

DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Cave Dwelling."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Liquid Communism posted:

It's not difficult, you just have to spend McMansion money on a very small house.

My sister lives in Raleigh, and there's a small district of historic houses that are pre-1900. The edges of that neighborhood got kinda eaten away by "urban blight" when the white flight happened in the 60s, but now it's back to super-expensive. There are some plots where an old house got torn town and people have built new, with period appropriate style & exterior -- though I'm sure the materials are all modern.

PainterofCrap posted:

If you are spending $$$$ I think you can avoid fuckery without having to supervise everything yourself. You probably just have to start with a good architect who can put you in touch with the people who are gonna build it right.

There are still builders and contractors who are interested in craft, and will happily do the right thing if it means getting to work more time on a single job that's not rush and minimum price. They're just hard to find because that's not what the market is asking for.