Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Gotta say, I did not expect 3 hour multi-stage baths to be part of the Chapter Master's daily routine. Sounded quite luxurious

Nobody is that pretty without work. Nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Immanentized posted:

Gotta say, I did not expect 3 hour multi-stage baths to be part of the Chapter Master's daily routine. Sounded quite luxurious

It takes a lot of scrubbing to gets centuries worth of blood out from under your nails.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Finished The Unremembered Empire. By far my favorite Horus Heresy novel. Lot of threads in the plot that I thought came together nicely, combat scenes had a point, and I felt the overall story moved forward with some informative reveals.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

DARPA posted:

Finished The Unremembered Empire. By far my favorite Horus Heresy novel. Lot of threads in the plot that I thought came together nicely, combat scenes had a point, and I felt the overall story moved forward with some informative reveals.

space-scottish granny was easily the best part of the book. No one fucks with Bobby G's mom and gets away with it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Immanentized posted:

space-scottish granny was easily the best part of the book. No one fucks with Bobby G's mom and gets away with it.

Agreed. I loved how she called him out on his insecurities and was saying "you can do this".

I've said it before in the thread, but that book made me a little sad with the scene where he has the banquet hall setup for all his brothers with their own seats and colours and it's never going to be used. I want just one scene where they all get along like some hosed up, violent demi-god version of the Walton family :(

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

The Unremembered Empire is OK at best. Way too many threads in the book. All parts involving Curze are super cringey. My two cents.

Very excited about the lords of silence dropping in August.

I’ve had a couple sorry.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Miguel Prado posted:

The Unremembered Empire is OK at best. Way too many threads in the book. All parts involving Curze are super cringey. My two cents.

Agree with this, too. You could tell where Abnett was writing his story and where he'd been told to tie off the threads of lovely books. I just wanted to read about G-man, his plans, how he feels next to his brothers, etc. But we had to have evil Batman running around too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unremembered Empire was basically the saturation point for Heresy Era books, and I'll bet Abnett's efforts to try and wrangle that mess together played a big part in him taking time away from Black Library. Everything afterwards has felt like more corpses piled on the mountain of mediocre books. You get some exceptions but there's more Heresy novels now than Discworld books.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dog_Meat posted:

But we had to have evil Batman running around too

It was a bit over the top, but I enjoyed psychic psychotic Batman.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unremembered Empire was basically the saturation point for Heresy Era books, and I'll bet Abnett's efforts to try and wrangle that mess together played a big part in him taking time away from Black Library. Everything afterwards has felt like more corpses piled on the mountain of mediocre books. You get some exceptions but there's more Heresy novels now than Discworld books.
I remember back when it started, putting off reading the series "until it's done" so I could power through to the end.

That was twelve years ago :negative:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

I remember back when it started, putting off reading the series "until it's done" so I could power through to the end.

:same:

Extending my prestige tv policy to books has not gone as well as hoped.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Any UK goons want some Cain books? I've got 4 of the original paperbacks and the hardback of 'The Greater Good'.

Happy to send them to you for postage cost otherwise they're going to the charity shop.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I have about 30 books on a shelf (and one that doesn't match because it was that ridiculous oversized format), but then just stopped when I saw how things were going. I get the occasional HH book on Kindle now if it's recommended by this thread (MoM), but I'm done with the Heresy until Horus and the Emperor are literally swinging on eachother.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Just finished Master of Mankind, I really enjoyed a closer look at the Webway project and how different people perceive the Emperor in such different ways. The Insights into the Mechanicum were actually pretty intriguing.

The Custodes were very dry of course, but that’s an essential part of their character. They were interesting mostly for their backstory and what they had witnessed alongside the Emperor during the years prior to the Heresy.

Recommended! I think I will delve a bit deeper into the “good” Heresy books.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Carrion throne had a pretty decent portrayal of Custodians as well.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

The Emperor’s Legion is pretty Custodes focused and is very good.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

Carrion Throne also shares a character with The Emperor’s Legion, which makes it a fun little two book series.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arquinsiel posted:

real talk, the reason i started reading warhammer again is that my elder brother croaked of a heart attack this past winter - he had been a big fan and I figured I should do his ghost a solid by finishing the ongoing series he read (Gaunt, Eisenhorn/Ravenor) that he now will never get to finish.

originally, he got into it when he found my old Black Library stash from when I was a tween and apparently started bringing them with him as reading material on his trucking hauls.

he at one point had a custom Space Wolves decal made for his truck canvas (which ended up being dumb, since he switched employers frequently and within a few months ended up moving somewhere he wasn't driving a truck that required a canvas canopy).

Anyway, while he was alive, he had this complex where he insisted on buying every Horus Heresy novel, even when they were written by authors he hated, because he "had to find out what happens". I continually tried telling him GW was just going to stretch the series out ad infinitum until people stopped buying them religiously, but he would not believe me.

tl;dr Games Workshop murdered my brother

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 28, 2018

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I just finished Unremembered Empire, which I brought purely because it had a sweet rear end cover of Sanguinius being all gosh shucks humble and abashed. It wasn't bad, but man, no kidding that the cover was kinda misleading. That's really not what the novel was about. Still, there was a bunch of Primarch stuff, and that's always welcome. My takeaway on it is that it sure made Konrad Curze look crazy overpowered... He was manhandling everything they threw at him, cackling all the while. Felt like a missed opportunity to give some depth to Curze. Overall it was a good read, but I got the impression Abnett hit the deadline and had to rush the ending.

I said before that I wanted ADB and McNeill exclusively writing the HH series, but I guess I meant ADB and Abnett. I forgot it was Abnett that wrote 'Know No Fear', which restored my faith in the series after... you know, that one book about Horus' super gently caress-all ship. I really, really liked Storm of Iron, but I don't think I've read anything of McNeill's since, that quite matched that level.

Still trudging through 'Corax'. I'm just not getting into it. drat, but is there a sheer, sheer drop between ADB/Abnett and pretty much everyone else involved in the series.

edit: RIP Space Wolf trucker

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PupsOfWar posted:

:smith:

At least it kept him entertained for a while.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

:smith:

At least it kept him entertained for a while.

cool ork av

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

They're very blatantly Scotsmen right down to the woad.

Well, poo poo. I always assumed they were supposed to be Irish.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're best described as Celtic. They look Irish with their pale skin and dark hair, they wear woad like Scottish Picts and their language idiosyncrasies are based off of Welsh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

cool ork av
Thanks, I'm pretty proud of it :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

Sorry man.

On a side note, this is a true fear of mine - I'm going to get into an ongoing series, and get heavily invested, and then die at some point before it finishes.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Can you really say a series is finished until you die?

That there is no chance whatsoever of someone picking it up again?

What I'm saying is, read everything, then die quickly, before someone fucks it up.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Read everything else as a ghost.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
think about all the big TKaM fans who died before the sequel came out.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Linnear posted:

My takeaway on it is that it sure made Konrad Curze look crazy overpowered... He was manhandling everything they threw at him, cackling all the while.

I can't remember much of the action from that book (just the character bits with Gulliman), but can a primarch be over powered? Plot requirements to take a bitch fall aside, they throttle Eldar avatars with their bare hands, wreck titans, eat full on plasma bolts to the face, plough through fields of space marines, fight in the vacuum of space with no helmet, etc.

That said, I honestly can't remember much about that book as I was still dealing with the awful aftertaste of Vulcan Lives (where Kurze is basically Jigsaw).

After reading through the Abaddon books and the Night Lord series I think it's cool how the primarchs have lost their aura in 40k and are seen as flawed, weak beings by their sons now. And in some cases, completely surpassed by them.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

re: can-space-marines-gently caress chat from a little bit ago:

I was poking through The Emperor's Gift and got to the bit where Bjorn flirts with a female Fenrisian inquisitor. The Grey Knight PoV character thinks this is odd since he himself can't even tell humans apart most of the time without relying on telepathy, much less tell whether a human is supposed to be attractive.

Between this and the Ragnar books, I think we are building a case that Space Wolves can gently caress, or at least comprehend loving, even if other marines can't.

Leman Russ's gene seed is weird I guess.

also w/r/t The Emperor's Gift, I usually am not big on the grrrr-my-dudes-can-beat-up-your-dudes element of this fandom.
But i did enjoy Logan Grimnar casually decapitating Grey Knights grand masters and inquisitors like it's just a thing you do.
(gently caress the Inquisition)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

Between this and the Ragnar books, I think we are building a case that Space Wolves can gently caress, or at least comprehend loving, even if other marines can't.

The Fenrisian word is yyffing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pretty sure it's just that Bjorn is really leaning into the "dirty old man" character stereotype TBH.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

space wolves definitely gently caress

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Maybe it implies that space wolves don't get completely psycho indoctrinated. So they retain some of their old personality from when they where human?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think it’s also stated that Space Wolves get taken for transformation as young men rather than children.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Even the children in the Blood Angels stuff from the way back when were mid-teens at least. On a death world you probably gently caress by then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It certainly is noted in the backstory of Lukas the Trickster, one of the Wolves' special characters, that he was an infamous womanizer before being taken by the Wolves.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

is it canon that the Primarchs have more or less the personalities and skillsets the Emperor intended them to have?

if not, it makes sense to me that the Emperor would exaggerate the amount of influence his crafting had on their later development, to look cool to everyone.

I suspect this is the case since they have an...unbalanced mixture of skills.

there's like six guys who are sort of smith/craftsmen, another half dozen who are pure murdermen, and only one guy who seems to have any interest in or aptitude for administration and statecraft. You'd think the Emperor would balance it out a bit more if he really intended them to be his perfect tools/subordinates.

Perturabo does have sort of demented model train collector personality - maybe he was intended to be the infrastructure guy

on the other hand, the Emperor is extremely evil. Maybe he really did intend the Primarchs as disposable weapons who could be eternally relegated to warfare at the edges of the Imperium, as Horus feared

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 30, 2018

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Part of the explicit design of the Primarchs and the Adeptus Astartes was that they were always meant to be disposed of after their conquest was over. Having the Primarchs be good at empire-building and keeping things stable doesn’t work well with that intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I've been going through the Horus Heresy again, and the second I came to the first Thousand Sons book, I immediately started feeling this sense of terrible dread that they're gonna get hosed over hard, and all their cool shiny poo poo is going to get broken, all the while thinking "nooo, don't do that thing/don't behave like that, they're onto you and going to break your cool poo poo :(".

Also, the Space Wolves are just massive assholes throughout the entirety, from the very second Amhladi Skarssgen Skarssonmladidursson steps off the ramp and "greets" Magnus. Man, what a bunch of dicks.