Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I'm only talking class D airspace with a tower which is controlled airspace, which I thought was what you were trying to do? If not, disregard.

For smaller airports, especially ones without a tower, when you call ahead to the airport manager hes probably going to ask you where you plan on flying and how high and then either putting that information out so pilots can be aware of it, or issuing a UAS notam. I actually see those quite regularly now.

Outside of that following the normal UAS rules is fine, which is 400ft and below. The thing with that '5 miles outside the airspace stuff' is that 5 miles outside of that its extremely unlikely an aircraft would ever fly that low unless it was an emergency so its doubtful you'd bump into each other. We use a similar rule about reporting obstruction light outages outside of 6 miles because again nobody should be that low normally. And you don't need a radio for that either. Where I live now is a podunk airport with no tower and people/pilots are always complaining about drones and we mostly shrug our shoulders (over the phone where they cant see it) because as long as they follow the rules they have just as much right to use the NAS as anyone else.

EDIT: and when I say NAS I mean national airspace system, in case the base near you is a Naval Air Station.

Oh I am, at least where my house is concerned. And I'm familiar with some aviation terms, figured from context you weren't talking about the base.

I guess I was thinking that class D was like any other towered airport with moderate traffic in that I could call them up and notify them I'd be flying and they'd be like, "Cool, there's absolutely no way you'll come close to one of the F-35s anyway, have at it." Or warn me about some kind of hazard but I was under the impression that they couldn't actually tell me not to fly given what I'm doing has little to no chance of interfering with their operations on base and I'm actually taking the time to follow the rules in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Oh I am, at least where my house is concerned. And I'm familiar with some aviation terms, figured from context you weren't talking about the base.

I guess I was thinking that class D was like any other towered airport with moderate traffic in that I could call them up and notify them I'd be flying and they'd be like, "Cool, there's absolutely no way you'll come close to one of the F-35s anyway, have at it." Or warn me about some kind of hazard but I was under the impression that they couldn't actually tell me not to fly given what I'm doing has little to no chance of interfering with their operations on base and I'm actually taking the time to follow the rules in the first place.

Dont take this harshly, but do you know what actually goes on at an airfield? Or what 'operations' for a control tower means? I think most people know only in a very basic sense what a 'traffic pattern' is, or departing and landing but that isn't everything. IMO pilots aren't even as well versed as they should be. Plus if its a military base it probably also does helo ops, and frequently helos travel 'within ground effect' or hover taxi flying very low. Military helo routes may not even be available to you on charts & pubs.

But yes, they most definitely can deny you entry into their controlled airspace. And looking around online it seems you cannot just contact the airfield manager/tower for entry but you must apply for a waiver first: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/ regardless. So you can apply, show 'Applicants for this waiver should demonstrate safety mitigations through equipage, technology and/or other operational parameters' which I don't think specifies what equipment and technology it is they are wanting, and then 90 days later you might get approval/denial.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, but if you want to do this you might as well go about it the best/legal way.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
There's a difference between waivers and authorizations. To date, I believe only one waiver has been granted, that to CNN for operating over people. Airspace authorizations are a lot easier to get. If you want to fly in controlled airspace for a one-time job (can be for something that goes on for a few days too) you can go to the FAA website and apply for an airspace authorization. This must be done in advance, although it is getting easier to do through the Airmap app as more airports come online with the automated authorization feature. You do have to have your Part 107 to do this.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Dont take this harshly, but do you know what actually goes on at an airfield? Or what 'operations' for a control tower means? I think most people know only in a very basic sense what a 'traffic pattern' is, or departing and landing but that isn't everything. IMO pilots aren't even as well versed as they should be. Plus if its a military base it probably also does helo ops, and frequently helos travel 'within ground effect' or hover taxi flying very low. Military helo routes may not even be available to you on charts & pubs.

But yes, they most definitely can deny you entry into their controlled airspace. And looking around online it seems you cannot just contact the airfield manager/tower for entry but you must apply for a waiver first: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/ regardless. So you can apply, show 'Applicants for this waiver should demonstrate safety mitigations through equipage, technology and/or other operational parameters' which I don't think specifies what equipment and technology it is they are wanting, and then 90 days later you might get approval/denial.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, but if you want to do this you might as well go about it the best/legal way.

I understand and don't take it harshly--I used to crew chief Apache Longbows and worked on an airfield. But then, that was sort of different in that it wasn't a high-traffic area like an international airport and it was helicopters mostly, which as you pointed out are a little bit different as to how they use the airspace given how they take off, approach, and land. Sure there was traffic and at HAAF there was even passenger traffic including Obama and his Marine One helicopters, but it was mostly military aircraft and I didn't deal with base ops or airfield ops directly since I wasn't a pilot. So yeah there's definitely a discrepancy there in my knowledge for sure.

I fully intend on being part 107 licensed and doing everything legally because my business depends on it (and the people I work with can get fined if they hire me and I'm not part 107 or I break the law), which is why I'm here so I can get some insight from more knowledgeable dudes and dudettes than myself. So yeah, I'm not at all intending to fly in this airspace around my house without knowing fully that I'm authorized to do so, because any number of things could be going on in that airspace that I don't know about. And again that's why I'm asking because I've gotten conflicting info from different sources and I want to know my poo poo so I can figure out what jobs I can take, what jobs will require a bit more prior planning, and what jobs I just can't do because of the airspace in which the property sits.

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

There's a difference between waivers and authorizations. To date, I believe only one waiver has been granted, that to CNN for operating over people. Airspace authorizations are a lot easier to get. If you want to fly in controlled airspace for a one-time job (can be for something that goes on for a few days too) you can go to the FAA website and apply for an airspace authorization. This must be done in advance, although it is getting easier to do through the Airmap app as more airports come online with the automated authorization feature. You do have to have your Part 107 to do this.

I'm totally getting my Part 107 because as I said above I can't fly my drone for my intended purposes (for money) without it and I know that if I don't do things correctly and I take a photo (and the FAA finds it and reads the GPS data in the exif) or a neighbor reports me out of ignorance I could get screwed and not be able to expand my business into that area. LOTS of real estate agents and other potential clients are wanting aerial photo and video these days to the point I stand to lose clients or not gain new ones for not offering aerial photo and video, but I want to make sure I do it right and professionally.

E: In y'all's opinion, is it reasonable to figure I could pass the Part 107 test without purchasing study materials and just reading the FAA's materials, or is it a good idea to purchase the materials because they might expound on certain questions the FAA doesn't really answer?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 11, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out of curiosity, are these "authorizations" the source of all the purple circles that I keep seeing on SkyVector?

When I first started seeing them (up north near Beale) I thought they were referring to military drones, but now there are so many that I assume they have to be a part-107 thing. The NOTAM only says "UAS OPERATING AREA" and the radius/times. Anyone shed some light on how these NOTAMs are filed?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Out of curiosity, are these "authorizations" the source of all the purple circles that I keep seeing on SkyVector?

When I first started seeing them (up north near Beale) I thought they were referring to military drones, but now there are so many that I assume they have to be a part-107 thing. The NOTAM only says "UAS OPERATING AREA" and the radius/times. Anyone shed some light on how these NOTAMs are filed?

It's military, private and commercial drones based on the Predator drone icon on SkyVector. So basically what you said. They call them DROTAMS. I wonder how the NOTAMS are filed also, I figure they contact the airports or ATC and the latter sends the NOTAM just to give a heads-up?

E (From FAA):

quote:

By law, any aircraft operation in the national airspace requires a certificated and registered aircraft, a licensed pilot, and operational approval. Section 333 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (FMRA) (PDF) grants the Secretary of Transportation the authority to determine whether an airworthiness certificate is required for a UAS to operate safely in the National Airspace System (NAS).

This authority is being leveraged to grant case-by-case authorization for certain unmanned aircraft to perform commercial operations prior to the finalization of the Small UAS Rule, which will be the primary method for authorizing small UAS operations once it is complete.

The Section 333 Exemption process provides operators who wish to pursue safe and legal entry into the NAS a competitive advantage in the UAS marketplace, thus discouraging illegal operations and improving safety. It is anticipated that this activity will result in significant economic benefits, and the FAA Administrator has identified this as a high priority project to address demand for civil operation of UAS for commercial purposes.

So SkyVector said those flying UAS under Section 333 exemptions for commercial reasons could be one of those DROTAMs so it looks like the FAA is issuing NOTAMS for those that applied? I'm not sure of the reason they'd be there because the SUAS rule is in effect (previously I'd typed that it wasn't and I'm an idiot for doing so) and I'd think those S333 exemptions should no longer matter, unless they were filed for reasons other than small operations.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 11, 2018

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

insta posted:

that's what it looks like after an uncontrolled dive into the ground? is foamboard really that good?

That is the result of my novice construction skills.

Here is the impact damage. Came down from 30 or 40 feet. I think it hit a bit shallower than 45 degrees. I think I could have flown it again if not for the aileron servo and vertical stabilizer popping off.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It's military, private and commercial drones based on the Predator drone icon on SkyVector. So basically what you said. They call them DROTAMS. I wonder how the NOTAMS are filed also, I figure they contact the airports or ATC and the latter sends the NOTAM just to give a heads-up?

Oh snap, heres something I actually handled at my old job. I remember seeing these things for Beale every week and going 'wtf is this?' We got without fail every week a cancellation and then a reissue of a TFR Notam for KBAB, and I was told it was simply the easiest way for them to fly drones. They basically file TFRs for a huge block of airspace and then do whatever this nonsense is within it among whoever is using it.

So anyways like if you go on DINS and look up KBAB you won't see any notam for UAS (or a Drotam, which I've never seen that word before today) anyways. You need to look at KZOA (Oakland center) and youll see FDC 8/7778 which is the TFR for KBAB. Like I said, huge rear end block of airspace from surface to FL180.

The way that Notam is disseminated is they (Beale) will send the notam request to DC notam office, DC approves and sends it to the center (zoa), the center then faxes to the affected facilities, and even to the facility that requested it (in this case Beale) followed by a phone call to confirm. And those are always fun phone calls because you are basically telling them what they already know and they get snotty about it. Same thing with cancellation, but the cancellation is always followed by a reissue.

I need to check out skyvector sometime so I can see what it is being pushed out to you guys.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

E: In y'all's opinion, is it reasonable to figure I could pass the Part 107 test without purchasing study materials and just reading the FAA's materials, or is it a good idea to purchase the materials because they might expound on certain questions the FAA doesn't really answer?

It's certainly possible, I did, but then again I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller and most of the material was stuff I dealt with everyday anyway. If you don't have aviation experience, learning to read the Sectional Charts will probably be the most challenging. I would recommend buying a sectional chart of your area to study. You can get them on Amazon or maybe from an airport in your area.

This is the most helpful video for passing the 107: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ucCKFJUCU
Tony And Chelsea Northrup's website also has a study guide to follow, it is excellent and I basically just watched the video, followed the guide on the website, and that was it. Whether or not you want to pay for a course on the 107 depends on how inpenetrable you find it to read the charts, learn to read METARS and TAFS and other aviation stuff.

There are also a few trick questions that get thrown to you on the test. Tony goes over a few, and https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/missed-part-107-test-prep-questions/ this website does too.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

It's certainly possible, I did, but then again I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller and most of the material was stuff I dealt with everyday anyway. If you don't have aviation experience, learning to read the Sectional Charts will probably be the most challenging. I would recommend buying a sectional chart of your area to study. You can get them on Amazon or maybe from an airport in your area.

This is the most helpful video for passing the 107: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ucCKFJUCU
Tony And Chelsea Northrup's website also has a study guide to follow, it is excellent and I basically just watched the video, followed the guide on the website, and that was it. Whether or not you want to pay for a course on the 107 depends on how inpenetrable you find it to read the charts, learn to read METARS and TAFS and other aviation stuff.

There are also a few trick questions that get thrown to you on the test. Tony goes over a few, and https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/missed-part-107-test-prep-questions/ this website does too.

Thank you. I have aviation experience, just not as a pilot. I know plenty about airfield ops having worked on a military airfield, but not in-depth enough to have known about restrictions and airspace and all that. This stuff seems more like it's tailored to being a pilot and the stuff you'd need to know, rather than a ground guy. What I did besides turning wrenches was basically akin to the guys directing airliners during backup from the gate and taxiing.

So yeah, this wasn't in my wheelhouse so I want to make sure I pay attention. Thank you for the suggestions!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Built a new micro on the B-Roll frame. Basically the gear from a babyhawk R 2" with a runcam split mini, it's really fun to have HD video! I put about 10 packs through it today, and got way too saucy and crashed it about 20 times. Nothing broken yet thankfully, though I did full throttle into the side of the house and now one of my lipos is kind of banana shaped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ophsvSr_b9o

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
So I would like a fast beginner drone, but one that I at least assemble myself. I Have a 3d printer and a cnc'ish machine, if that is useful.

Also, any way to make something same'ish to dji phantom for the same money?

No previous rc experience.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have a radio? Soldering supplies? FPV gear?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you have a radio? Soldering supplies? FPV gear?

Just an old solder atm.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Get a TS100 soldering iron, while you're at it. Radio and FPV gear will be the most expensive items, altho prices have generally dropped (a Frsky QX7 is pretty competent and 2/3rd the price of a X9D, there's plenty of decent FPV goggles now that aren't just Fatshark.)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Oovee posted:

So I would like a fast beginner drone, but one that I at least assemble myself. I Have a 3d printer and a cnc'ish machine, if that is useful.

Also, any way to make something same'ish to dji phantom for the same money?

No previous rc experience.

Do you want to do aerial photography, or fly the thing for the fun of flying it? Those are different types of craft.

I assume from your desire for one that's fast that you want something more like an FPV quadcopter than a Phantom. If that's the case, buy a transmitter (like the QX7) and fly a sim to see if you enjoy it. I use Liftoff which is on steam. Something like a phantom is a whole different experience, which seems weird from the outside since they're all quadcopters, but it's like someone asking you "Hey I want to get into computers but I'm not sure if I should build a linux server or buy an ipad". Aerial photography drones are flying robots that enable photography, but racing style drones are more like all the worst parts of radio control planes, computers, video editing, and ham radio mixed together.

You can't possibly hope to assemble one from parts cheaper than a big name company can sell you one ready to go. If you want to build one, just recognize that you're doing it for the experience and not to save money. 3D printer might help you make some accessories. I'm not sure what you mean by cnc-ish machine but unless you have a full composite cnc shop already going you probably won't make anything without spending 2-5x as much as one from emax costs, even if your time is worth zero.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your FPV drone can be put together for about the same money as a bind-and-fly model, but you’ll need a bunch of supplies (ts100, solder, metric drivers, 24WG silicone wire, etc)

If I were you I’d get a frsky x-lite or q-x7 and practice on a simulator (like liftoff or even one of the free ones like DRL) until you can reliably take off, turn, and land.

Then get a babyhawk R 3” if you have a place to fly you can get to often enough.

You can’t make/buy something as capable as a phantom for the money, there’s too much effort put into the custom software and silicon. If you want an AP drone, just buy whatever DJI craft meets your price/needs.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Do you want to do aerial photography, or fly the thing for the fun of flying it? Those are different types of craft.

I assume from your desire for one that's fast that you want something more like an FPV quadcopter than a Phantom. If that's the case, buy a transmitter (like the QX7) and fly a sim to see if you enjoy it. I use Liftoff which is on steam. Something like a phantom is a whole different experience, which seems weird from the outside since they're all quadcopters, but it's like someone asking you "Hey I want to get into computers but I'm not sure if I should build a linux server or buy an ipad". Aerial photography drones are flying robots that enable photography, but racing style drones are more like all the worst parts of radio control planes, computers, video editing, and ham radio mixed together.

You can't possibly hope to assemble one from parts cheaper than a big name company can sell you one ready to go. If you want to build one, just recognize that you're doing it for the experience and not to save money. 3D printer might help you make some accessories. I'm not sure what you mean by cnc-ish machine but unless you have a full composite cnc shop already going you probably won't make anything without spending 2-5x as much as one from emax costs, even if your time is worth zero.

evil_bunnY posted:

Your FPV drone can be put together for about the same money as a bind-and-fly model, but you’ll need a bunch of supplies (ts100, solder, metric drivers, 24WG silicone wire, etc)

If I were you I’d get a frsky x-lite or q-x7 and practice on a simulator (like liftoff or even one of the free ones like DRL) until you can reliably take off, turn, and land.

Then get a babyhawk R 3” if you have a place to fly you can get to often enough.

You can’t make/buy something as capable as a phantom for the money, there’s too much effort put into the custom software and silicon. If you want an AP drone, just buy whatever DJI craft meets your price/needs.

I thought Id start with a cheap fpv racing drone to learn, mess with that and then try to make something for photos/videos. Figured you cant beat DJI's prices, but I really want something I can tinker around with as I please.

But for controller atleast, frsky x-lite seems nice, any word on on fpv goggles? Fatshark ones seem to be 400+ for hd, if I understood correctly.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I just rebuilt my main quad on a GepRC Elegant frame and holy crap this thing is great. The high arms and top battery plus the underslung stack make for a super stable platform. With an AIO FC and a VTX that sits on the stack you can keep the mass in the center if you're thoughtful about your build. I'm running Emax RS2306 motors so there's power to match the precision.
I uploaded an unedited video of what was only my fourth flight, and it's obvious to see how confidence inspiring the setup is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYk3fqvTvk

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any FPV goggles that take the RX5808 sized modules like True-D, Laforge and whatever the hell, but aren't Fatshark and cost a kidney? My current Attitude V2s are starting to fail, and I'd love something extensible, ideally without paying the Fatshark prices (altho they're nice goggles). Or do I have to bite the bullet?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any FPV goggles that take the RX5808 sized modules like True-D, Laforge and whatever the hell, but aren't Fatshark and cost a kidney? My current Attitude V2s are starting to fail, and I'd love something extensible, ideally without paying the Fatshark prices (altho they're nice goggles). Or do I have to bite the bullet?

There's the Dock-King ground station which takes a FuriousFPV module (and other modules now i believe).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh nice, thanks for pointing that one out.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
As far as actual goggles go, it seems like anything decent that can take a module is as much as Fatshark Dom v3 or Atti v4.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Considering that module form factor isn't exactly unpopular, I'm surprised the Chinese manufacturers haven't hopped on that train yet.

The Attitude V4s don't seem that much cheaper, so first thought I have is that I might as well pay the extra :|

I have to decide whether I actually want a ground station. I've already a FR632 and LCD5802D collecting dust here.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Don't the EV200's take up to two of those modules?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

:aaaaa:

The displays/optics are maybe a bit iffy, apparently, according to reviews (viewport too small, and LCOS instead of LCD displays have ghosting issues?). Kabab is the loudest about it, but he's a retard. Quad diversity is certainly nice.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
hey, pilots in america, could you prod the AMA to sit at the table so that the airspace isn't sold to amazon/google/etc? many other countries base their policy off of US policy.

https://youtu.be/ixSOaL9aXUA

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Whaddup UAS (or whatever preferred term you want) goons? I picked up a Mavic Pro FM bundle during the Prime Day stuff because I'm an idiot with poor impulse control. We'll be returning the thing as we can likely get a better deal elsewhere, but I have some thoughts I'd like people more competient than I to give some takes on.

Pros:
Portable as hell
Light as hell
Controller is pretty neat and has FPV capabilities w/ phone
Features like anti idiot crashing prevention and active track are nifty

Cons:
Is a flying camera (hear me out)
Expensive as hell

The ability to fold up the thing is cool as hell and looks neat too. However the unit is to a camera as an A-10 is to a big goddamn gun. That's all fine and good, don't get me wrong, but I'd be happy with a cheaper unit that is more focused on flying. Retaining FPV capabilities would be a must as I do have a level of interest in arial photography, but I don't have much interest in doing videos/photos. Looking around, it seems that the Mavic Air may be more up my alley (though it loses points on looks). Thoughts?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

Whaddup UAS (or whatever preferred term you want) goons? I picked up a Mavic Pro FM bundle during the Prime Day stuff because I'm an idiot with poor impulse control. We'll be returning the thing as we can likely get a better deal elsewhere, but I have some thoughts I'd like people more competient than I to give some takes on.

Pros:
Portable as hell
Light as hell

Cons:
Expensive as hell

The ability to fold up the thing is cool as hell and looks neat too. However the unit is to a camera as an A-10 is to a big goddamn gun. That's all fine and good, don't get me wrong, but I'd be happy with a cheaper unit that is more focused on flying. Retaining FPV capabilities would be a must as I do have a level of interest in arial photography, but I don't have much interest in doing videos/photos. Looking around, it seems that the Mavic Air may be more up my alley (though it loses points on looks). Thoughts?

I have a Mavic Pro, and as far as I can remember the Air and Pro have the same (or similar) cameras as far as sensor resolution and quality goes. You'll hear meany people telling serious aerial photographers to get the P4P because it has a 20MP sensor, so the Pro and Air aren't exactly at the top of the heap when it comes to camera quality, but they are really decent cameras nonetheless--the P4P's camera is just capable of more video-wise and has a slightly better resolution. I'm not as worried about megapixels myself, I'm not trying to get an aerial photo on a goddamn billboard, so the Pro's camera suits my purposes just fine. All of this is to say, the "real" flying camera in DJI's line can widely be considered to be the P4P so if you're feeling a little "meh" about the Mavic Pro being a flying camera, at least it isn't the best out there.

As to the cost, I scoured Amazon for good deals when I bought my Mavic Pro and couldn't find a lot that were substantially priced under DJI's prices for the FM combo. Even some refurb units with FM combo were maybe going to save me $50-$75. It's likely you got an even better deal than I did because of Prime Day, and unlikely you can find a substantially better deal in my estimation. But then, I wasn't looking for a used drone that wasn't refurbished and didn't want to buy one from a private seller.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can you elaborate on P4P? As far as the deal part I believe she means “ship to Delaware” or “buy used from one local expat groups”. We’ve had a decent track record of getting pretty nice stuff at a good price from the Chinese kids at the local University who are selling all their crap before headed home.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

Can you elaborate on P4P? As far as the deal part I believe she means “ship to Delaware” or “buy used from one local expat groups”. We’ve had a decent track record of getting pretty nice stuff at a good price from the Chinese kids at the local University who are selling all their crap before headed home.

P4P is Phantom 4 Pro. More expensive than the Mavic line and better camera. Doing what I do, I decided that the Mavic Pro fit my needs better and the image quality difference wouldn't be terribly noticeable to most, not to justify spending a few hundred more.

If you're looking for cheaper, the P4P isn't the way to go, especially if you are not wanting a "flying camera." DJI is focusing their products around aerial imagery and video so almost no matter what you buy from them, it's going to have a halfway decent camera. You can control them manually just to fly them.

Otherwise you might be better off checking out what other posters ITT are saying about building your own drone or checking out other manufacturers who might provide a different feel in their drones that matches better what you want to do with a drone other than photography.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 23, 2018

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Warbird posted:

Pros:
Portable as hell
Light as hell

Cons:
Expensive as hell

Sounds like you want a racing/freestyle drone to me.

Something like this would be a high-end pre built racing drone: https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/emax-hawk-5-bnf-racing-drone

Most people fly with no stability control, so takes a while to get competent. There are simulators which let you see what it's like, Velocidrone is my favourite sim.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've been flying for a couple or three years now and I've always really just wanted a flying platform so I can pretend to be a miniature pilot exploring a giant alien world or something. Messed around with racers but I fly like an old man afraid of breaking a hip, so the performance is wasted on me. FPV flying a highly modified Bixler was more my speed but feels like looking at the world through a lovely, dirty, narrow porthole.

Got to fly my first DJI anything a while back when researching some NIR capturing by drone and it instantly made me think "Yes! This is what I've been wanting!" At least as far as the "flying platform" part, anyway. The serious photography angle is wasted on me but hey, a nicer camera than you needed is never a bad thing.

Anyway I splurged recently on a DJI sale and refurb special, and bought a Mavic Pro and DJI Goggles. loving hell these goggles are :krad: at least at first wear. Just powered them on to try them out and the clarity and fov puts my home made poo poo to shame.

Can't wait to actually fire everything up and fly with them paired like god intended.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I just found out that my $300 Spektrum radio doesn't do an RSSI alarm on the radio even though it gets full telemetry otherwise :rolleyes:.
I'm running the telemetry receiver that talks to the FC and gives an RSSI number for the OSD. So I'm happy that I can at least get an RSSI number out there SOMEWHERE, but is there a way to program in a more obvious alarm? Right now the RSSI "alarm" in BF OSD is to blink in the corner. What I really want is a buzzer going off and a :supaburn: LOW RSSI IDIOT!!! :supaburn: to flash in the middle of my screen. Is there any way to program in different alarm states that have front-of-display priority?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I've been flying for a couple or three years now and I've always really just wanted a flying platform so I can pretend to be a miniature pilot exploring a giant alien world or something. Messed around with racers but I fly like an old man afraid of breaking a hip, so the performance is wasted on me. FPV flying a highly modified Bixler was more my speed but feels like looking at the world through a lovely, dirty, narrow porthole.

Got to fly my first DJI anything a while back when researching some NIR capturing by drone and it instantly made me think "Yes! This is what I've been wanting!" At least as far as the "flying platform" part, anyway. The serious photography angle is wasted on me but hey, a nicer camera than you needed is never a bad thing.

Anyway I splurged recently on a DJI sale and refurb special, and bought a Mavic Pro and DJI Goggles. loving hell these goggles are :krad: at least at first wear. Just powered them on to try them out and the clarity and fov puts my home made poo poo to shame.

Can't wait to actually fire everything up and fly with them paired like god intended.

Watch out with those goggles, I've been reading the FAA isn't keen on them because they hinder your peripheral vision for starters.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just out of curiosity, would there be any interest with a VR game simulating the DJI goggle stuff?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Watch out with those goggles, I've been reading the FAA isn't keen on them because they hinder your peripheral vision for starters.

Not american; the FAA federales have no jurisdiction over me :nsa:

On the other hand FPV is a no-no unless the pilot has a line-of-sight spotter assisting, so while it does mean peripheral vision's not a biggie, it also means FPV flying's a two-person pain in the rear end.

Oh well some prices you just loving pay

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Not american; the FAA federales have no jurisdiction over me :nsa:

On the other hand FPV is a no-no unless the pilot has a line-of-sight spotter assisting, so while it does mean peripheral vision's not a biggie, it also means FPV flying's a two-person pain in the rear end.

Oh well some prices you just loving pay

Carry on, then! I do know some other countries model their drone regs off the FAA but to what extent I don't know.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
Oh hey cool, an FPV thread on SA!

I exclusively hang out on rcgroups for rc stuff but I don't mind mixing my interests.

I'm a planes guy and dabbled in micro FPV since 2009, back when small stuff was expensive compared to what it costs today.

Got sucked in by drones a couples years back and am making an effort to get back into fixed wing flying. Also trying to put a damper on purchases, already got so much stuff I don't have time to fly, and I'm trying to recycle some of it to feel better about myself.

Which leads to my question: can you use a micro brushless 4in1 ESC with a traditional receiver?

I have an ESC from a badly crashed Eachine Lizard95 and an (by now antique) AR6300 DSM2 receiver.
Am I wrong in thinking that I could use the esc as a traditional brushless esc?
The plan is to hook up two of the working esc's to throttle and rudder channels on the receiver and by using a mix on the transmitter get differential thrust yaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
As long as the ESC accepts PWM it should work but you’ll have a little bit of weirdness. Wire up the two ones you want to use and a separate BEC for your servos.

I am using a blheli-s esc on a 3D plane and it responds instantly, doesn’t get hot, and is 1/4 the weight of a traditional ESC. But because it has active freewheeling/braking and that can’t be turned off, it makes weird knocking sounds when you are advancing or retarding the throttle because the ESC is designed to respond far faster than the 50 hz update frequency the receiver sends out. It hasn’t affected the motor health in any way but it would probably freak some people out.