Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enourmo posted:

Come back when she grows a beard that magnificent and we'll talk.

She did get her eye brows back after the first episode if that qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

oohhboy posted:

The doctor missed the other illness that you fix with alcohol, methanol poisoning. iirc the ethanol out competes the methanol pathway so the methanol gets excreted whole.

That's a good thing to know, but luckily dogs and cats aren't dumb enough to consume methanol (usually).

I do know of a few dogs and cats that enjoy beer and wine.

People mention phosgene gas - sometimes animals will ingest zinc phosphide since it's used as a rat bait, and some dogs are dumb enough to ingest a whole ton of it. Usually the first thing that happens when someone brings their sick animal in saying, "they got into something!" is to make them throw up, which given zinc phosphide turns into phosphine gas when the stomach gets to work on it... well, that can be bad.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6116a3.htm

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

People mention phosgene gas - sometimes animals will ingest zinc phosphide since it's used as a rat bait, and some dogs are dumb enough to ingest a whole ton of it. Usually the first thing that happens when someone brings their sick animal in saying, "they got into something!" is to make them throw up, which given zinc phosphide turns into phosphine gas when the stomach gets to work on it... well, that can be bad.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6116a3.htm
Expect you're aware, but phosphine is different from phosgene, though neither is terribly healthy for you or your dog.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

epipen posted:

My understanding is that the experiments at Porton Down from 1939 onwards were 'voluntary', but volunteers were not meaningfully informed (and quite likely faced repercussions for not participating). The experiments were a mix of recognising the symptoms of newly developed biological/chemical weapons (both developed by germany and allied forces), treating victims, and seeing how to best deploy it.
Extreeeemely not ethical, there's at least one soldier who outright died from exposure to Sarin in the 50s in these experiments.

Porton Down and extremely not ethical are practically interchangeable. There was also a big stink in the late eighties and investigative journalism pieces on programs like Equinox about the facility's inability to safely house anthrax, plus, y'know, the CIA claim Porton Down was the source of the anthrax used in the attacks on US soil circa 2001

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Not to defend Porton Down, but I though the main suspect for the anthrax attacks was a US scientist using samples from the same stock he worked with?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Computer viking posted:

Not to defend Porton Down, but I though the main suspect for the anthrax attacks was a US scientist using samples from the same stock he worked with?

Yeah Porton Down sourced their anthrax from the same place as the CIA, Fort Detrick, so the spores were identical. One suspect was a "contractor" who worked in the CIA's anthrax program.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Basically the FBI is almost entirely certain it was an American anthrax researcher who was upset about a anthrax vaccine research program being shut down right around 9/11. The guy was mentally ill and killed himself with a Tylenol overdose shortly after being placed under FBI surveillance and shortly before he got linked to the specific batches of anthrax used in the attacks by some DNA traces on samples he had access to. IIRC shortly before he killed himself he also threatened to do a workplace shooting.

The anthrax itself was a strain that came from a cow in Texas in the 80s and was named for a city in Iowa because the researchers at Ft. Detrick got confused about shipping labels. :downs:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

The guy was mentally ill and killed himself with a Tylenol overdose...

Isn't that supposed to be incredibly painful?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn't that supposed to be incredibly painful?

Yes, it destroys your liver so not a quick one either.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Preemptive "please don't start talking about the better/worse ways to kill yourself with household chemicals/OTC meds" comment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Preemptive "please don't start talking about the better/worse ways to kill yourself with household chemicals/OTC meds" comment.

It is a good thing that inert gases aren’t household chemicals or OTC meds.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Plenty of party stores though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

Just trying to avoid 2+ pages of "if you think suicide by *Aspirin* is bad..."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Platystemon posted:

The M*A*S*H theme song lyrics are only true if you do it with inert gases (or give a .45 a blowjob and angle it just right). Buy a bucket of liquid nitrogen, pour it on the floor in a sealed room, and die happy -- the "gently caress I can't breathe" pain response is from not being able to get rid of carbon dioxide, not lack of oxygen, so if you have something to breathe and carry away the CO2, but no incoming O2, you just get real drunk and sleepy feeling, and then die.

Tylenol-induced liver failure is one of the worst ways to off yourself, I'm assuming anthrax guy did it to punish himself for his crime.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Tylenol-induced liver failure is one of the worst ways to off yourself, I'm assuming anthrax guy did it to punish himself for his crime.

a friend of my mother's did herself in with painkillers like that, then changed her mind. Sadly, her liver was already hosed and about a week or two later, the rest of her body followed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A lot of people try to 'overdose on painkillers'. Over-the-counter analgesics are a completely different thing, but not everyone knows that.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

A lot of people try to 'overdose on painkillers'. Over-the-counter analgesics are a completely different thing, but not everyone knows that.

Yeah, my bad for not being clearer. I didn't mean opioids, I meant she tanked her liver with over the counter analgesics.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
If they'd only tried to overdose on cough syrup instead they'd feel a lot better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I meant that's why they take tylenol. They heard 'painkillers' are a good way to suicide and then they use the wrong type.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There’s no way the FDA would let acetaminophen be OTC today. The difference between a therapeutic dose and a toxic dose is puny compared to most other drugs, and the number of people who wind up in the hospital for taking too much is pretty mind blowing.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/11/tylenol-far-most-dangerous-drug-ever-made-11711

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

There’s no way the FDA would let acetaminophen be OTC today. The difference between a therapeutic dose and a toxic dose is puny compared to most other drugs, and the number of people who wind up in the hospital for taking too much is pretty mind blowing.

How does this compare to NSAIDs like ibuprofen? The article states that the TI is larger than that of acetaminophen, but the side effect “may burn a hole in your stomach lining if not taken with food” seems like a pretty big red flag for an OTC drug.

Grundulum has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Jul 28, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grundulum posted:

“may burn a hole in your stomach lining if not taken with food”

That’s a misconception.

Long‐term use will wreck your stomach (and other body parts), and it does this whether or not you take the pills with food.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes there are rare cases of ibuprofen getting stuck in the esophagus and causing burns.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ick. What happened after?
I worked 5 minutes away from home so I rinsed my mouth out, grabbed a spare uniform, put a seat cover in my car, and told my boss I was going to take my lunch break early to go home and take a shower, and was going to mark it as time worked on my timecard rather than saying anything to management since I wasn't hurt. Pretty much did the same thing when I got soaked in 4 gallons of automatic transmission fluid, just with half a bottle of degreasing dish soap. My hair was around two feet long at the time (my profile picture is from ~2007 for reference), so washing that out was an ordeal.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

If they'd only tried to overdose on cough syrup instead they'd feel a lot better.
DXM is a really fascinating chemical.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I discovered the wonders of phosphate ester hydraulic fluid today.

I know you're not supposed to get it on you, but there was an explosively burst hydraulic line. I wasn't nearby, but I was replacing the line. I'd hosed the area down with isopropyl alcohol, then MEK, then more alcohol. Didn't think there was anything left. There was still a very thin film left.

So I went from "hmm, my skin is itchy" to "wow, I itch all over" to "I'm covered in stinging ants" to "it literally feels like my skin is currently burning" in about twenty minutes. I was half an hour from clock-out when it started, so I was just going to stick it out until the bell. I ended up taking a shower in all my clothes on company time. Even after scrubbing in detergent AND surfactant, the irritation persisted for a while. My skin is still pink everywhere I leaned against something, and it's been nearly ten hours and three showers later.

The SDS says it's not acutely nor chronically toxic and I shouldn't worry unless it's inhaled, but wow. This was not a fun day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phosphates are weird.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

GWBBQ posted:

Automatic transmission fluid

On the latest episode of one of the Roadkill spinoff shows, they swapped an automatic transmission which, in true Roadkill fashion, dumped its liquid contents on the ground. One of the guys joked "ATF is mostly detergents, if you think about it we did [person whose driveway they made a Troma-esque bloodbath* in] a favor."

* for those who don't frequent AI, ATF is bright red, like cheap horror movie fake blood.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

The true secret of the flaming Homer Moe.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Chillbro Baggins posted:

* for those who don't frequent AI, ATF is bright red, like cheap horror movie fake blood.

or TFR, we love that poo poo as gun cleaner/lubricant.

stinks though.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

or TFR, we love that poo poo as gun cleaner/lubricant.

stinks though.

I wonder if a couple drops of lavender or wintergreen oil would help that when used as a cleaner?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I discovered the wonders of phosphate ester hydraulic fluid today.

Arglebargle III posted:

Phosphates are weird.

they sure are

quote:

Organophosphates (also known as phosphate esters) are a class of organophosphorus compounds with the general structure O=P(OR)3. They can be considered as esters of phosphoric acid. Like most functional groups organophosphates occur in a diverse range of forms, with important examples including key biomolecules such as DNA, RNA and ATP, as well as many insecticides, herbicides, and nerve agents.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

shalafi4 posted:

I wonder if a couple drops of lavender or wintergreen oil would help that when used as a cleaner?

ATF as cleaner/rustbuster is usually mixed 50/50 with acetone, so making it minty fresh probably wouldn't help.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why can't I stop watching CSB videos?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Because that dude has like the best narrator voice ever? And seeing the way 20 small glitches stack up into a catastrophic fuckup is fascinating?

I'd love to see them go in on some historical accidents like the Grandcamp explosion.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't concern yourself with such things just watch.

Funxion
Nov 30, 2005

This man talks to empty chairs at conventions. Please help this man back to being an idol. Fight Alzheimers!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Googled CSB videos and I am falling down this rabbit hole.

T2 Laboratories incident...a runaway reaction making hydrogen gas, wcgw.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Platystemon posted:

That’s a misconception.

Long‐term use will wreck your stomach (and other body parts), and it does this whether or not you take the pills with food.

This is true except: ketorolac (Toradol). There's a very specific reason you absolutely positively do NOT take it for longer than 5 days.

(That reason is that bleeding stomach ulcers suck)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Platystemon posted:

That’s a misconception.

Read this while taking a handful of Ibuprofen because I burned the poo poo out of my hands with capsaicin.

So uh, how much is "long-term use"?

Rent-A-Cop has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Jul 30, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There really, desperately needs to be a class of painkillers between NSAIDS and opiates. Something you can take long-term, nonaddictive, for moderate to significant pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rndmnmbr posted:

There really, desperately needs to be a class of painkillers between NSAIDS and opiates. Something you can take long-term, nonaddictive, for moderate to significant pain.

Yes, buuuuuuuuuuuut

One could argue that opiates being addicting and overprescribed is a feature, not a bug at this juncture. Lean on the doctors to prescribe them, and watch as people get addicted on them and come back for more. Knowing US pharma companies I wouldn't put it past them at all.