Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Not quite, if I'm reading you right. You add +3 to the bear's own automatic attack, making it do a move 3 attack 5 action before your turn. Then, if you use a bottom action which makes the bear attack again, that action also gets +3 to any attacks it might have. The bear has its own turn before the Beast Tyrant's, but Command actions are cards you can play on the Tyrant's turn as if they were the bear's action, rather than the Beast Tyrant's own.

Ah yes. That's what I meant to type :) Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My Cragheart hit level 4, and our level 3 Tinkerer is one (unlocked) mission from retirement. We're gonna get the Cthulhu face class.

Kinda pumped for next session. :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
One thing I hosed up with Two Minis initially was getting the timing of Strengthen wrong. If you use Energizing Strike to Strengthen the bear it wears off at the end of the bear's next turn (ie just before the Tyrant's)

thespaceinvader posted:

Notably, with the right allies: if you can GRANT attacks to the Bear Buddy, Concentrated Rage applies to those as well. There are classes that can do this...

The solo scenario reward can give a similar result.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Speaking of solo scenarios, they still use the normal scenario level calculation, right? So it'd be just level/2 round up?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yup. It means doing them on an even level is slightly easier.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Fantastic, thanks. I'm a level 7 Scoundrel and it looks... Not easy, definitely, but not terrible. Fairly straightforward. That extra shield, though, oof. Scoundrel does have ways to deal with that, thankfully, which I suppose is the point.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
People keep talking about these solo scenarios. I looked them up and it looks like they kick in after a couple retirements. When are you supposed to do them? The rewards are print and play right? My wife and I are playing through 2 player and I'm wondering what we're missing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The formal requirements are listed somewhere, but I think the main thing is that they're intended for characters level 5 and above. Crack them whenever you're feeling ready for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Haroshia posted:

People keep talking about these solo scenarios. I looked them up and it looks like they kick in after a couple retirements. When are you supposed to do them? The rewards are print and play right? My wife and I are playing through 2 player and I'm wondering what we're missing.
The BGG store sometimes has a copy of the booklet and cards (they are between print runs at the moment I think). Not sure where else to look.

The level 5 requirement is the only one I'd adhere to.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Level 5, prosperity 3, two retirements.

The level 5 req makes sense because they're supposed to be pretty tightly designed scenarios, so I'm guessing they expect you to have some higher level cards, higher hp, and some items. The other two reqs? Maybe the rewards are supposed to be on par with the prosperity 3 shop items, idk. Two retirements seems entirely arbitrary.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
3 sessions in, we decided to share what our personal goals are, (wed been keeping them secret) because there were suspicions that they were at odds with each other. It was so funny reading them out, because they in order got worse and worse:

Have a bunch of equipment.
Die 15 times.
Have two other people retire.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The BGG store sometimes has a copy of the booklet and cards (they are between print runs at the moment I think). Not sure where else to look.

The level 5 requirement is the only one I'd adhere to.

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for them. We're making it through the campaign really fast because two players, so knowing there's more content is good to know.

The one thing we're running into since we're prosperity 6 is the difficulty is getting pretty rough. Level 4 difficulty as soon as one of us levels plus a lack of enhancements seems to make some monsters especially difficult. The big issue is getting enough gold to buy enhancements (since there are fewer enemies) and having to donate to the sanctuary because getting prosperity with only two players able to donate loving blows . Damage seems to scale very poorly with monster difficulty at high levels, and bosses loving wreck us since they are huge buckets of HP. Having more perks from retirements and leveling is nice and helps offset issues, but man it sucks when your most damaging ability does 5 damage and the monster has shield 4 and retaliate. Is there something we're missing about high level damage? Are enhancements key to making high level play function? Should we basically just give up on donating until we get some good enhancements?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My Cragheart just picked up item 101. It looks... Really good?

Second Skin. Remove two -1 cards from your deck. It takes up my armor slot, but still. I've already done the three replace -1 with +1, so I have no -1 cards anymore.

Because that's making my deck leaner, I took ignore negative scenario effects to avoid stupid curses and the like. Still, I'm pumped.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I might retire my angry face too soon because his personal quest is really easy to do and impossible to avoid! I'm almost half done with it after 2 scenarios. Might just roll another one, but I'm super curious for two minis. This game is great.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

!Klams posted:

3 sessions in, we decided to share what our personal goals are, (wed been keeping them secret) because there were suspicions that they were at odds with each other. It was so funny reading them out, because they in order got worse and worse:

Have a bunch of equipment.
Die 15 times.
Have two other people retire.

Hahah, ouch. You may want to house rule those a bit, unless you're down with playing your initial crew for a very long time. Be sure to check the back of the rulebook or wherever the two class unlocks that aren't contingent on retirement are listed.

Incidentally, one of those goals ended up leading to the shortest-lived character we ever had: I got the "watch two people retire" goal on the first class I unlocked, after retiring my starting character. One player retired his starting character on the following scenario, and another the scenario after that. I got my third character two scenarios after unlocking my second.

dwarf74 posted:

Ooh, where did you get that? That sounds perfect for the build I'm using right now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ooh, where did you get that? That sounds perfect for the build I'm using right now.
An easy-to-open chest in the final room of #6 - which was itself not a very hard dungeon. We were going down the other branch of this quest line, so we were going to skip it. But our Tinkerer wanted to clear his 3rd crypt right away. He's 3rd level and about to retire.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hahah, ouch. You may want to house rule those a bit, unless you're down with playing your initial crew for a very long time. Be sure to check the back of the rulebook or wherever the two class unlocks that aren't contingent on retirement are listed.

Nah, those aren't that bad. I've had the first two myself.

The first one, you just buy the cheapest poo poo and loot all the money you can. It definitely goes faster once you are higher level and have shop discounts and money is worth more, but if "do 15 scenarios" is the baseline, you should be able to gather all that gear in about that many scenarios if you are dedicated and especially if your teammates help you along by letting you loot chests to get items. I did that quest in about 9 scenarios myself, but I had discounts and stuff to help.

The second one is actually super fun. You can exhaust every scenario if you try! To burn cards fast at the end of the scenario, use loss cards, run onto traps and lose cards to avoid damage, short rest, then take damage to re-draw, but lose two discards to avoid that damage. In one good turn you can lose like 6 cards and either go out in a blaze of glory or look like an idiot. Either way you are exhausted!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

dwarf74 posted:

Second Skin. Remove two -1 cards from your deck. It takes up my armor slot, but still. I've already done the three replace -1 with +1, so I have no -1 cards anymore.

Because that's making my deck leaner, I took ignore negative scenario effects to avoid stupid curses and the like. Still, I'm pumped.

I was extremely sad when I gave up this item. I sold it so a different player could buy it because it was clearly better for them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ChiTownEddie posted:

I was extremely sad when I gave up this item. I sold it so a different player could buy it because it was clearly better for them.
Yeah I'm feeling a little chest-greedy. Somehow my rock man has been making it to all the chests before anyone else. Maybe it's the boots of striding, maybe it's the ranged build.

I also picked up Item 124, the Doomed Compass, which is actually fantastic for all the AoE stuff I have.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

dwarf74 posted:

I also picked up Item 124, the Doomed Compass, which is actually fantastic for all the AoE stuff I have.

It is craaaazy how much mileage we get out of that item. It is so good and fun.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I'm feeling a little chest-greedy. Somehow my rock man has been making it to all the chests before anyone else. Maybe it's the boots of striding, maybe it's the ranged build.

My wife had that on her previous character. She asked "ARE THERE TRAPS?" every map while she had it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ChiTownEddie posted:

It is craaaazy how much mileage we get out of that item. It is so good and fun.
Oh yeah as soon as I grabbed it I was stunned by how drat versatile it is. Well worth my 2nd Small Item slot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

dwarf74 posted:

Depends if you have ignore negative item effects or not. If you do, then you should just be using armour. Otherwise, it's OK, but there might well be better options.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends if you have ignore negative item effects or not. If you do, then you should just be using armour. Otherwise, it's OK, but there might well be better options.
Not at prosperity 1 there's not. :)

e: We may be slow. After 7 completed missions we are still at prosperity 1 and reputation +2. We would have been +3 but we got boned by a city event.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 30, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Haroshia posted:

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for them. We're making it through the campaign really fast because two players, so knowing there's more content is good to know.

The one thing we're running into since we're prosperity 6 is the difficulty is getting pretty rough. Level 4 difficulty as soon as one of us levels plus a lack of enhancements seems to make some monsters especially difficult. The big issue is getting enough gold to buy enhancements (since there are fewer enemies) and having to donate to the sanctuary because getting prosperity with only two players able to donate loving blows . Damage seems to scale very poorly with monster difficulty at high levels, and bosses loving wreck us since they are huge buckets of HP. Having more perks from retirements and leveling is nice and helps offset issues, but man it sucks when your most damaging ability does 5 damage and the monster has shield 4 and retaliate. Is there something we're missing about high level damage? Are enhancements key to making high level play function? Should we basically just give up on donating until we get some good enhancements?

Depends upon which two characters you're playing. If you don't have a built-in way to deal with Shield, your main solutions are either Wound or Poison. You have access to several weapons that allow you to add those conditions. Dealing with bosses is going to be a little tricky depending upon your characters and on the boss, as they have different condition immunities. Bosses should have half as many hp with two characters as with four, so I'm not sure why you feel it's taking so much longer to beat them. Obvious solutions include trying to have as many blessings in your modifier decks as possible (unless you have a way to add them--enhancements are one good way--you'll need luck), saving a summon or two for the boss (always making sure to have the non-summoning character go first on initiative), and having retaliate running in order to do as much damage as quickly as possible. Certain characters are much better at killing bosses quickly because they have good tools in their decks (the Scoundrel can double up on an Attack 5 once per scenario, for example).

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Last night marks the second time my wife pulled off smoke bomb, backstab, flip a 2x modifier card. Okay sure, 20 damage to the boss. Her luck is completely unfair.

Meanwhile my big boots+balanced strike hit lands the one curse we got from a road event. I don't think I've ever had to dig curses out of my deck after a scenario because of course I hit them all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Last night marks the second time my wife pulled off smoke bomb, backstab, flip a 2x modifier card. Okay sure, 20 damage to the boss. Her luck is completely unfair.

The only time I've played with a Scoundrel, he pulled this off. Smoke Bomb, Backstab, flip crit, casual 16 damage to an Elite Lurker boss

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

On a related note, I was just looking at all the Scoundrel cards, and without taking rolling mods into account, I think we can hit 184 damage on a crit? Which would require quite a bit of setup (mostly, having five allies adjcacent to the poor sucker) but still, it would be worth doing sometime.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Zack Ater posted:

On a related note, I was just looking at all the Scoundrel cards, and without taking rolling mods into account, I think we can hit 184 damage on a crit? Which would require quite a bit of setup (mostly, having five allies adjcacent to the poor sucker) but still, it would be worth doing sometime.

You can't just say something like this and not include the math!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Re the spoilered section: Isaac said for 2P groups that doubling progress from envelope B is a reasonable house rule. It's what we do.

From what we've seen the value of enhancements varies a lot from class to class. My Mindthief had several cheap and easy ones to do, my Triforce was a bottomless pit of money, my Two Minis basically didn't need any and my Angry Face is like my Mindthief and can easily find cheap, good ones like +range to do. But outside of some specific powerful ones they generally don't make or break a scenario.

4 shield and retaliate seems to be crying out for non-attack damage or executes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We've had some real brief boss scenarios back when we hung with a Scoundrel. We had that combo peak out at 40 damage, but I know there's at least one high level card that comes with another damage doubler.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scoundrel + Mindthief was a hell of a 2P combo for some scenarios, even given how badly we understood the mechanics at the time.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Re the spoilered section: Isaac said for 2P groups that doubling progress from envelope B is a reasonable house rule. It's what we do.

:froggonk: We've already donated 600 gold. If we retroactively implemented this I have no idea what our prosperity would be. Do you just give 2 points for every pip instead of 1? It's also rough because we get less retirements. Basically prosperity gains when you are playing two player is suffering.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 31, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

One interesting thing for 2P is that your event deck is thinner and is shuffled less so you're more likely to actually see all the cards in your deck come up.

Haroshia posted:

:froggonk: We've already donated 600 gold. If we retroactively implemented this I have no idea what our prosperity would be. Do you just give 2 points for every pip instead of 1?

Here's the post for reference. Yeah we just cross out two boxes per donation (so 5 donations are needed to get +1 prosperity). My girlfriend basically never donates :argh: so I have to make up the slack.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 31, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's one recurring city event that our 4p group has seen so many times, we all groan after hearing the first three words.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

King of Bleh posted:

You can't just say something like this and not include the math!

It's mostly two things:

One, an X card, Sinister Opportunity, is a melee attack that does a base of 3 damage, with one spot for an enhancement, so we'll add a +1 to that to get it to 4. You get a bonus of +1 for each of your allies standing adjacent to the target, which can at most be 5. If you consume dark element, that changes to +2 per ally. So this attack maxes at at 14, to be the highest potential single attack the Scoundrel has, even though it takes a bunch of setup. Even with only two adjacent allies, though, it's about as good as Backstab and this one isn't a loss.

Anyway, two, Scoundrel has not only Smoke Bomb, but also Spring the Trap (level 7), which doubles your next attack against an enemy adjacent to none of its allies and adjacent to at least one of your allies. Both of those and a crit is octuple damage.

From there it's just stacking any situational bonuses you can, which is something the Scoundrel is good at if you want to play that way. Single Out (level 1) bottom is +2, Duelist's Advance (level 3) bottom is +2 (would need to be used on the turn you actually attack), Cull the Weak (level 5) bottom is +2 if the enemy is stunned or disarmed or immobilized, and Crippling Poison (level 6) top is an extra +2 against a poisoned enemy (so +3 including the poison.) So that's a total of +9.

So that's (14+9)*8 for 184 damage, plus 8 times whatever combat mods you draw. You just need dark, an enemy surrounded by 5 of your allies, and the enemy needs to be poisoned and stunned/disarmed/immobilized. Kind of a hassle. Maybe if there's like a final boss or something? Useful for murdering Steve for comedic effect.

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 31, 2018

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Zack Ater posted:

You just need dark, an enemy surrounded by 5 of your allies, and the enemy needs to be poisoned and stunned/disarmed/immobilized. Kind of a hassle. Maybe if there's like a final boss or something?

I think all bosses are immune to stun/disarm/immobilize and I wouldn't be surprised if all the late game ones were immune to poison.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think all bosses are immune to stun/disarm/immobilize and I wouldn't be surprised if all the late game ones were immune to poison.

Ah, that is a good point. Some unsuspecting mook, then, just for laughs? :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zack Ater posted:

Ah, that is a good point. Some unsuspecting mook, then, just for laughs? :v:

"Jesus loving CHRIST did you see what they did to Steve?! There was pieces of him everywhere!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
You could also use (prosperity level 3 item spoiler) the long spear to get longer reach to make room for another ally adjacent to the target. if you want even more damage. Would probably only work with a very summon heavy party.

Scoundrel wants item summons.