Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

This isn't Harry Potter

That's right, this is only just a story of a boarding school for gifted children with a quirky (heh) principal and quirky teachers which is so important to the system in place that villains attacking it shakes the foundations of society itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Petiso posted:

That's right, this is only just a story of a boarding school for gifted children with a quirky (heh) principal and quirky teachers which is so important to the system in place that villains attacking it shakes the foundations of society itself.

There's no Snape, clearly the most important part of those stories.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh I forgot he lost an arm.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nighteye kinda felt like a filler-movie tier character to me. Generally you shouldn't introduce and kill people in the same arc, unless your series just kills the poo poo out of its cast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I really didn't think they'd kill him like that. I guess his power is a little ridiculous but still

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
NightEye and LeMil were established for the same reason: the author wanted to raise the stakes with a body and a lost quirk, but didn't want to sacrifice any established heroes to do so.

It's kind of amazing how much personality he gave LeMil considering he's a jobber.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
mirio is no jobber. he's a true hero

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Flytrap posted:

NightEye and LeMil were established for the same reason: the author wanted to raise the stakes with a body and a lost quirk, but didn't want to sacrifice any established heroes to do so.

It's kind of amazing how much personality he gave LeMil considering he's a jobber.

How dare you slander Vault-Mite's good name. You take that back, right now!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't have to be chad from bleach just because you're a jobber. the most popular example being vegeta, prince of all jobbers

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

tbp posted:

mirio is no jobber. he's a true hero

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The gently caress is a jobber?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Crain posted:

It's a wrestling term for a person who constantly loses, specifically a person who loses to make another person look strong

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The specific origin of the phrase is that losing is that person's job, therefore jobbing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Crain posted:

Someone who's set up to take the fall to make someone else look good. The Big Show in the WWE gets a lot of talk about how he's a powerful titan that can break people with his bare hands, but it's usually to make it impressive when Roman Reigns or Brock Lesnar slams him through furniture or suplexes him so hard it makes the ring collapse. (At least that used to be. Won't lie, been a whiiiile since I paid attention to it.)

Vegeta makes massive strides in power so that the big bad can beat his rear end to sell that this is totally the ultimate threat now.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 31, 2018

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Mirio is anything but a jobber if we go by that definition. Dude kept up with Overhaul quirkless after getting shot. Overhaul: the guy who skunked Rappa so much that Rappa decided to join his gang. If anything Overhaul's the jobber.

poo poo Mirio could have taken down Rappa 1v1, could have done pretty well even without his quirk.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 31, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Davinci posted:

Mirio is anything but a jobber if we go by that definition. Dude kept up with Overhaul quirkless after getting shot. Overhaul: the guy who skunked Rappa so much that Rappa decided to join his gang. If anything Overhaul's the jobber.

poo poo Mirio could have taken down Rappa 1v1, could have done pretty well even without his quirk.

And he lost!

That's the point. He was introduced to be cool and then to lose, which makes him a jobber. If the fight was cool, that just means Horikoshi did his job well.

It isn't actually a sin to use a jobber in your story; it's only really a problem when you have characters whose only reason for being is to job over and over and never get to exist outside of that (which is why people dislike Chad's role in Bleach).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Found a cursed image, you must all suffer with me:

All Blart Mall Might

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Davinci posted:

overhaul won the fight with mirio so by definition he didn't job. the point is to make the person that won look strong so it means more when they lose

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mario may have jobbed but he also gave us the the line about why heroes wear capes, so he's my favorite MHA character going forward

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

overhaul won the fight with mirio so by definition he didn't job. the point is to make the person that won look strong so it means more when they lose

Overhaul looked like a poo poo character winning, though. Like Marik vs. Joey in yugioh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sure, you can make the argument that mirio didn't job. I was just saying that overhaul didn't

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mirio still has some role to play I think. Horikoshi mentioned that part of everything that happened in the Yakuza arc was setting up additional players to be present for the final battle at the end of the series.

Mirio reeks to me like he'll be tempted with getting his quirk back by the badguys and possibly give in. His reaction to Suneater suggesting that Eri may be able to give his quirk back sooner rather than later was kinda weird imo.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I was re-reading Overhaul's arc and when I first read it I didn't notice that the LoV stole two packs of quirk-erasing bullets but only one of them is the finished product.

I wonder if we'll get a scare of someone hitting one of the main characters with one of the bad bullets and everyone thinking it's a permanent one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tsuyu gets hit with it and becomes a toad for a couple days.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

Mario may have jobbed but he also gave us the the line about why heroes wear capes, so he's my favorite MHA character going forward

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
he sacrificed himself for eri, threw away his hard fought dream solely to save her, like a real hero

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hahaha

drat autocorrect

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crain posted:

Yamcha

Also, like some people using 'meme' to mean 'joke' I think people are saying that a 'jobber' is now 'someone who loses a fight'

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Also known as Worfing
Which sounds like a dog barking, and whammo, perfect segue into...
https://twitter.com/TheFizziestDog/status/1024142348056502277

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

overhaul only won against mirio because he destroyed mirios quirk. that doesnt make overhaul look like a badass it makes him look like a wuss

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That doesn't mean Mirio didn't job. If the ref gets knocked out and the wrestler you're up against brings in outside help to beat you and you lose, you still jobbed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See, when I think of jobber, something like this is what I'd use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1tTsMr2CE

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yamcha

Also, like some people using 'meme' to mean 'joke' I think people are saying that a 'jobber' is now 'someone who loses a fight'

Vegeta is the king of jobbers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jobbing is just "doing your job." It's wrestling knowing you're going to lose. Obviously it's not a perfect analogy because fictional characters rarely know the outcome of their fights, so it was broadened a bit to "losing a fight that the audience generally knows the character will lose, especially against someone that the main character will later have to fight and win against."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Vegeta is the king of jobbers.

And Genos is the Prince.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

we're getting into tvtropes territory

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Arist posted:

That doesn't mean Mirio didn't job. If the ref gets knocked out and the wrestler you're up against brings in outside help to beat you and you lose, you still jobbed.

Incorrect. If you don't lose clean, you're not jobbing.

Jobbing is something much more specific than 'losing a fight,' jobbing means putting someone over, doing it clean, and not seeming like you were ever a viable threat once all is said and done. Jobbing is all about sacrificing one person's sell for the explicit benefit of increasing someone else's.

The pro hero squad jobs hard for All For One. He casually wrecks all of them to build his own narrative strength at their expense. It firmly establishes that AfO is on an entirely different level on the fight card from anyone but All Might, the other headliner and, now, the only credible threat to him.

Likewise, the League of Villains jobs to the other pro hero squad - they're locked down in moments and displayed to, at that time in the narrative, be no threat to a focused hero action.

However, AfO does not job to All Might. They both come out of that fight looking strong, slapping each other around an increasing circle of ruined city, with All Might only even managing to win by retiring himself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's fair, I'm not actually a wrestling fan :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah quoting you makes it look like i was aiming dead on at you, sorry about that. like a lot of wrestling terms i feel like it's extremely useful as a narrative descriptor so i wanted to get its use straightened out