Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

KPC_Mammon posted:

You could also use (prosperity level 3 item spoiler) the long spear to get longer reach to make room for another ally adjacent to the target. if you want even more damage. Would probably only work with a very summon heavy party.

Scoundrel wants item summons.

I wasn't even thinking about items :doh: That, and a minor (and major, if those exist?) power potion would be a nice boost there, yeah. Or the (Jekserah questline item spoiler) skullbane axe instead of the spear, if you do this to an undead. We're only prosperity 3 so far, so maybe there's even better items later, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Looking to sleeve my cards. Whats the quality like of the Dephia card sleeves? Any reason to get these instead of ordering the Fantasy Flight ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Dephia-Gloom...en+card+sleeves

instead of

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flig...me+card+sleeves
and
https://www.amazon.com/dp/158994515...1532969492&sr=2

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

South posted:

Looking to sleeve my cards. Whats the quality like of the Dephia card sleeves? Any reason to get these instead of ordering the Fantasy Flight ones?

instead of

and

Dragon Shields. Never had better sleeves when I was playing magic than from the guys who make these.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

I ride bikes all day posted:

Dragon Shields. Never had better sleeves when I was playing magic than from the guys who make these.

Seconding this, my friend who owns GH uses these for our cards and they're pretty nice

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Mayday Games has a Gloomhaven bundle. Those are great sleeves.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

South posted:

instead of

and

I got that exact Dephia sleeve pack for my Gloomhaven set and have had zero problems with them so far. They fit as perfectly as I could want and none of them have split yet. They sometimes cling together a bit after being in the box for a couple weeks undisturbed but nothing major. Depending on the number of cards you intend to sleeve at any given time, it's probably cheaper to go with that particular pack than to buy more premium sleeves by 50-100 sleeve batches.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Mayday Games has a Gloomhaven bundle. Those are great sleeves.
I also use Mayday sleeves. The standard sleeves are plenty good for a game like this; I prefer the full front/back transparency, and they add very little bulk to the cards. Premium-grade sleeves are overkill, here.

The Delphia sleeves, linked above, look good too - but you may be able to save some money with Mayday. I think I paid like $10-$15 and I still have a ton for unlocked classes/items/etc.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
(post containers spoilers about Triforce and only Triforce, nothing else)

I just unlocked Triforce and this class makes my head hurt. This is just so all over the place and nearly every move blows wads if you don't have energy to infuse. The setup and payoff lines are so complicated coming from an innocent Cragheart who just made and used Earth turn after turn. I'm actually kind of jazzed about the idea of a class that might reward ebb-and-flow planning with sweet combos but a lot of these cards look like trash. And I'm completely paralyzed at the thought of leveling up and having to cope with losing generators and juggling around consumers.

How do I make a good Triforce? I read two guides on Reddit but it's still baffling. Of course I've also played only one mission with it at Level 2 so I haven't developed a feel for things yet either. Reddit's big takeaway for me was use lots of multi-targeting to flip lots of element generating +0s you perked into the deck. Where do I go from there?

Also, I'm pretty mad about Triforce's flavor versus the actual cards. Why on Earth does the guy whose schtick is mastery of the four classic elements, so he has four elemental power cores matching them (and a long perk list that generates them), keep getting shoved into Light and Dark on his cards? They're unavoidable as you level. Maybe the class wouldn't be so schizophrenic if he stuck to Earth, Wind, Ice, and Fire! I was disappointed when I saw Spellweaver tried to use all six but I'm actually REALLY disappointed now that Triforce doesn't use only four because if he did he'd at least offer a contrast to Spellweaver!

Finally, Spitting Drakes. BULLSHIT. That is all.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I used Mayday and followed this guide for how many I needed. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1686797/comprehensive-sleeving-guide I ended up getting 5 mini and 3 regular packs. I'm stupid and sleeved all the monster ability cards yet they've never left the box because we use the app. This would cut down on the number of mini packs. It was $18.50 after shipping.

That package they offer would be way overkill since it's to sleeve every card. https://www.maydaygames.com/products/gloomhaven-card-sleeve-kit

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

I just unlocked Triforce and this class makes my head hurt. This is just so all over the place and nearly every move blows wads if you don't have energy to infuse. The setup and payoff lines are so complicated coming from an innocent Cragheart who just made and used Earth turn after turn. I'm actually kind of jazzed about the idea of a class that might reward ebb-and-flow planning with sweet combos but a lot of these cards look like trash. And I'm completely paralyzed at the thought of leveling up and having to cope with losing generators and juggling around consumers.

How do I make a good Triforce? I read two guides on Reddit but it's still baffling. Of course I've also played only one mission with it at Level 2 so I haven't developed a feel for things yet either. Reddit's big takeaway for me was use lots of multi-targeting to flip lots of element generating +0s you perked into the deck. Where do I go from there?

Also, I'm pretty mad about Triforce's flavor versus the actual cards. Why on Earth does the guy whose schtick is mastery of the four classic elements, so he has four elemental power cores matching them (and a long perk list that generates them), keep getting shoved into Light and Dark on his cards? They're unavoidable as you level. Maybe the class wouldn't be so schizophrenic if he stuck to Earth, Wind, Ice, and Fire! I was disappointed when I saw Spellweaver tried to use all six but I'm actually REALLY disappointed now that Triforce doesn't use only four because if he did he'd at least offer a contrast to Spellweaver!

My friend went from Cragheart to Triforce. He stomped everything as Crag and seems to always pull off big moves and big attacks as Triforce. He does use his AoE to flip some elements but he started at level 4. Only rarely does he get stuck with a move 1 or an attack 1.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If my rock man throws a Massive Boulder, and said Massive Boulder kills a dude, do I still do 1 damage to someone adjacent to him?

I know I wouldn't be able to push or curse a dead guy, but we're not talking about the dead guy, we're talking about the guy standing next to a dead guy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

My friend went from Cragheart to Triforce. He stomped everything as Crag and seems to always pull off big moves and big attacks as Triforce. He does use his AoE to flip some elements but he started at level 4. Only rarely does he get stuck with a move 1 or an attack 1.

I'm the same way, although I've definitely gotten boned by being too slow, at times. Actually my first enhancement was to add +1 to a "2 move/element generation" card, I forget which. Add +1 damage to the AoE and you're in business!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

KingKapalone posted:

I used Mayday and followed this guide for how many I needed. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1686797/comprehensive-sleeving-guide I ended up getting 5 mini and 3 regular packs. I'm stupid and sleeved all the monster ability cards yet they've never left the box because we use the app. This would cut down on the number of mini packs. It was $18.50 after shipping.

That package they offer would be way overkill since it's to sleeve every card. https://www.maydaygames.com/products/gloomhaven-card-sleeve-kit

Your nerd OCD is weak!

Sleeve Every Card

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SuperKlaus posted:

I really, really dislike Triforce. It always feels like it takes twice as much effort to do the same damage as any other striker class, at least up until 7th. The only benefit it gains is a little bit of range, but there are plenty of classes that can do that. THe Spellweaver is better at basically all levels. With the exception of the executes, of course.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I really, really dislike Triforce. It always feels like it takes twice as much effort to do the same damage as any other striker class, at least up until 7th. The only benefit it gains is a little bit of range, but there are plenty of classes that can do that. THe Spellweaver is better at basically all levels. With the exception of the executes, of course.

I don't think the SW has any attacks that hit for 6 after burning an element. At least not single target. Our Triforce pretty much always has enough elements to use the ongoing +1 attack for burning and another element for the actual card's modifier text. Triforce seems stronger than SW for us.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of Triforce spoilers, is there a class that utilizes an amount of elements other than 0-2 or 6? I haven't played an "elementalist"-type class myself, but they always seem to be the weakest member of the party, and I feel like their inflexibility is a big part of it. Especially if you use the RAW rule on respeccing since their builds are so party-dependent, and you'd be hosed if you were using a lot more earth than you produced and the team Cragheart retired. Most classes don't seem to be designed with cross-class elemental combos in mind, either largely ignoring the system or having obvious builds like the Mindthief where you can produce exactly as much Cold as you need to pull of your own sick combos.

Has anyone tried having a party with the Spellweaver and Elementalist together? I feel like the classes are balanced around this being an option, and could stand to have a stronger baseline or be built around fewer elements.

dwarf74 posted:

If my rock man throws a Massive Boulder, and said Massive Boulder kills a dude, do I still do 1 damage to someone adjacent to him?

I know I wouldn't be able to push or curse a dead guy, but we're not talking about the dead guy, we're talking about the guy standing next to a dead guy.

The rules reason you can't curse or push a dead guy is because combat is resolved stepwise, and those effects always occur after the damage is dealt, and can only target an enemy who is no longer there. The AoE damage targets a different enemy, and such doesn't conflict with that rule. I'd say you deal the damage.

Intuitively, it also only makes a lot of sense that a giant boulder landing in the hex next to yours hurts exactly the same regardless of how squished the dude under it gets. Isaac's rule of thumb is that you should go with your gut if you're not sure how a technical rule applies to a specific situation.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Speaking of Triforce spoilers, is there a class that utilizes an amount of elements other than 0-2 or 6? I haven't played an "elementalist"-type class myself, but they always seem to be the weakest member of the party, and I feel like their inflexibility is a big part of it. Especially if you use the RAW rule on respeccing since their builds are so party-dependent, and you'd be hosed if you were using a lot more earth than you produced and the team Cragheart retired. Most classes don't seem to be designed with cross-class elemental combos in mind, either largely ignoring the system or having obvious builds like the Mindthief where you can produce exactly as much Cold as you need to pull of your own sick combos.

Has anyone tried having a party with the Spellweaver and Elementalist together? I feel like the classes are balanced around this being an option, and could stand to have a stronger baseline or be built around fewer elements.

Triforce: Only the Spellweaver that I know of can make use of more than 2 elements routinely. And the Spellweaver and Elementalist do combo well together, I played mine alongside a spellweaver most of the time, and that one Loss she has that dumps out all 6 elements is incredibly useful if you can time it right.

I think the epitome of the Spellweaver's issues for me if the move cards. THe ones that burn 2 elements to get up to move 5 1 xp. Or 1 element to get move 3. That's just pathetic, and mean that if you want ot move a decent amount on your turn, you need to burn 1 or 2 elements on it... that you really need for your attacks. It's just such a lame duck for me and I couldn't retire mine quickly enough. Not to mention that executes in general are a dull, trivialising mechanic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I worked hard to retire my Triforce and opened the Eclipse box. I love my new class so much more.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

My friend went from Cragheart to Triforce.

Yeah I did as well. Triforce chat the flavor is actually incredible at first glance when you come off a Cragheart. It's like it's not a new character, it's a prestige class! You mastered your elements! You went Super Saiyan :ssj: or perhaps "Super Savvas!" But first, as I said, the flavor doesn't match how he has to in fact juggle six drat elements, and second, I'm struggling. I LOVED being Cragheart dropping nukes all over the field so if I could keep up the AoE spectacle as Triforce I'd be in heaven but it's just so awkward.

If your friend has any pro tips to share on Triforce I'd love to hear them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's super weird how many Craghearts retire and open Triforce. :tinfoil:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SuperKlaus posted:

A level 2 Triforce is a miserable experience to be honest. I don't think the class really works until 4-5.

quote:

Also, I'm pretty mad about Triforce's flavor versus the actual cards. Why on Earth does the guy whose schtick is mastery of the four classic elements, so he has four elemental power cores matching them (and a long perk list that generates them), keep getting shoved into Light and Dark on his cards? They're unavoidable as you level.
Someone explained it like this: because you've mastered those four classic elements you start to study other element to expand your powers, and as you level up you find more and more uses for them (notably Dark at level 7).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 1, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Triforce suggestions:
A lot of your approaches need to change as you gain levels and add elements to your modifier deck. At level 2, you'll have Crystallizing Blast, Ice Spikes, and Tremulant Cyclone as your best cards to pull modifier cards for elements. You have one use double-element infusions, and a bunch of valuable single element infusions. If another character in the group puts out elements you can use, you'll want to build around that at low level because getting two that you want will be difficult. Despite all the awesomeness of imagining Cyrstallizing Blast with Curse, save for an element on one of your infusion moves first (I suggest Ice/Earth or Ice/Air, depending upon what other elements get put out by your party).

Again, starting out you may want the bottom of Formless Power, coupled with cards good with a single element you can guarantee you put out. Stoking Hail is a keeper; the two 48 init cards are OK early on, and probably not Malleable Evocation or Shaping the Ether. Stick with combos you know you can set up for and execute. Going with the melee cards actually helps at this point.

By L5, you can use Winter's Edge at close range for reliable damage on turns when you don't have elements running. If you don't have friends to use the Light/Dark, you can either use one with a L3 card or your Formless Power booster or wait until you get Vengeance at L7. (Curious why the Elementalist gets light and dark? Wait until you unlock scenario 81 to find out.

By this time as well, you should reliably be able to produce 2-3 elements, though you won't be able to predict all of them. You now want to carry the 48s as well as Malleable Evocation and Shaping the Ether. Your goal is to look for the card which best uses the available elements based on what you want to do. (Prioritize XP when you can, too.) Just need a big attack? Fire/Air or Earth/Ice will get the job done with the right Augmentation/Enhancement card. Shaping the Ether has the powerful Earth/Ice option of doing a two target stun; generally, you won't want to play this card without Earth for two targets, except when there's only one reasonable target anyway. Malleable Evocation requires you to wait until you get the right mixture of elements to fit your need; I generally found the bottom more useful (Move 5/jump is nice for Fire/Air), but immobilize and wound are useful and the top attack is one of your few options to take advantage of the rare circumstance where you have all four elements out.

Two other notes: You'll do well if you can arrange to fight demons, as they'll help generate a predictable element for you, and you can often keep them from consuming it by doing so first. Make sure you have plenty of your fastest initiative cards, though. Secondly, the timing of your big loss cards is different from most classes. Aim to use one earlier than you normally would, especially the ones that generate elements. Think of them as set-up cards, not finishers. That said, they can be devastating with the right combination. Lava Eruption is only Attack 1 all enemies within Range 4, but +1 from Formless Power, +3 from items, and potentially another +2 from ally cards suddenly means you're doing Attack 7 on everyone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Some Numbers posted:

Mine'll be three spears but I'm really enjoying my big rock man.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The rules reason you can't curse or push a dead guy is because combat is resolved stepwise, and those effects always occur after the damage is dealt, and can only target an enemy who is no longer there. The AoE damage targets a different enemy, and such doesn't conflict with that rule. I'd say you deal the damage.

Intuitively, it also only makes a lot of sense that a giant boulder landing in the hex next to yours hurts exactly the same regardless of how squished the dude under it gets. Isaac's rule of thumb is that you should go with your gut if you're not sure how a technical rule applies to a specific situation.
That's how we've been playing, cool. Thanks!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Triforce is my favorite class in the game: I started the class at level 5 after retiring two minis class, and basically play as a turret. Don't try to move around too much, just focus on getting off as many attacks as possible so your attack deck generates elements for you. At earlier levels try to focus on just using two main elements, usually fire/wind or earth/ice. I went fire/wind and had a dang good time blasting everything off the face of the earth until I could generate more elements faster. Because of how your deck works, you don't need or want advantage, since you just want to make as many elements as possible. Chain Lightning is my favorite card by far, and if your prosperity is high enough that you can buy mana potions, absolutely do it and ask your teammates to as well, it's extremely helpful especially if you're the only one regularly generating elements, and also because you will usually not be the fastest character in your party. +Movement boots can be a useful buy for the few times a round you actually have to move, power potions are great, the item that increases your range is also helpful esp at lower levels. Also imo don't take any of the cards that require you to be near enemies, you're squishy*. Even that loss card that does 1 damage to all enemies within range 4, it doesn't seem that worth it to lose a card to do basically no damage and put yourself at risk of being murdered.

*unless you try to go melee/shield build which sounds hilarious but probably not as good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

I think it's because the Triforce unlock quests have flavor thematically fitting to a Cragheart. That's why I took a Triforce unlock quest for mine.

Thanks for advice Narsham and Xad.

Xad posted:

Triforce is my favorite class in the game

However, why Chain Lightning when Burial offers an attack on the bottom, which means one more shot at fishing elements and also another attack to drink up spare Suns and Darks via Formless Power ongoing buff? That seems like the turret-style choice and the Dark energy will pay off come Level 7. If you're avoiding getting close to enemies, you aren't taking Gravel Vortex at Level 4, which means Primal Duality, which means Sun and Dark that need to get shunted off somewhere (note: I agree with you, I don't want my low-health rear end walking up to dudes). And why don't you like Advantage? Wouldn't it let you fish for elements even better by drawing out more cards and filtering?

I'm Level 2 with one mission under my belt but I've sure spent some time studying the cards and trying to put it all together.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

I think it's because the Triforce unlock quests have flavor thematically fitting to a Cragheart. That's why I took a Triforce unlock quest for mine.

Agreed, but it's super interesting how often a Cragheart draws a Triforce quest, since it's a 1/11 chance or so.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

However, why Chain Lightning when Burial offers an attack on the bottom, which means one more shot at fishing elements and also another attack to drink up spare Suns and Darks via Formless Power ongoing buff? That seems like the turret-style choice and the Dark energy will pay off come Level 7. If you're avoiding getting close to enemies, you aren't taking Gravel Vortex at Level 4, which means Primal Duality, which means Sun and Dark that need to get shunted off somewhere (note: I agree with you, I don't want my low-health rear end walking up to dudes). And why don't you like Advantage? Wouldn't it let you fish for elements even better by drawing out more cards and filtering?

I'm Level 2 with one mission under my belt but I've sure spent some time studying the cards and trying to put it all together.

Chain Lightning's top is better than Burial's. Burial's bottom is better though, especially in the long run (Dark generation becomes crucial once you hit 7). I think Burial is better but it's not clear cut (unlike the level 2 choice).

Advantage isn't much help for the class because of ambiguity. If you get +1 and +fire (or +air vs +earth), for example, it's nominally ambiguous which one is best and so you are meant to just take the first card. You don't get to choose. One positive aspect of this is that disadvantage doesn't really affect the class much

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

I took both :getin:

Level 2: Crystallizing Blast (bottom move 4 is great, hitting a big AOE is perfect for generating elements)
Level 3: Chain Lightning (REALLY good top if you consume sun, even better with wind, my party kept fighting things with shield so pierce was very welcome)
Level 4: Primal Duality (fast initiative and the bottom is perfect for setting up Chain Lightning, top is also good but I mostly just use the bottom)
Level 5: Burial (Bottom attacks with stupid range are very good, this is where you become a turret, top is good if you have elements/need more aoe but attack 3 range 4 is so good)
Level 6: Winter's Edge (top is really good, this is where I started putting +ice into my deck, air and ice weren't too tough to generate and attack 5 range 4 is great even before the pierce, also I don't really like either level 6 card, MAYBE Simulacrum for a melee build...)
Level 7: Pragmatic Reinforcement (another bottom attack, both sides always give EXP, consume fire for wound/poison is very nice)
Level 8: Volatile Consumption (entirely for the bottom, being able to move really far and jump is p nice, but this is def the weakest card of my build)
Level 9: Eternal Equilibrium (my party has a class that can generate darkness pretty easily, otherwise I'd be tempted to take the mana sphere)

And already said, but because of how ambiguity works with advantage/disadvantage, neither really matter for you, since you don't really care about -1 or +2 or whatever, you just want MORE ELEMENTS

And I don't generally use Formless Power anymore, but the top is always useful for consuming any extra elements hanging around.

Xad fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 1, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wow, not Vengeance at level 7?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah unless you're deliberately trying not to take one of the most op cards in the game...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I wish people talked about lightning bolts this much! Not as complex though obviously.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Every single YouTube stream of the early dungeons gets so many things wrong that I just can't deal with it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

Every single YouTube stream of the early dungeons gets so many things wrong that I just can't deal with it

There's one that does a random dungeon and put correction subtitles over everything he messed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5B3Z6ieVg

Anyway, update:

Wife and I have done the first two scenarios now and she's at the point now where she' willing to say she likes it more than Descent, which I didn't expect to happen this fast (I still think she benefited by playing Descent first, just to familiarize basic concepts like "dungeon" and "adventuring party" in a familiar setting with elves and dwarves and whatnot before trying to wrap head around Craghearts and so forth).

We beat both scenarios but it was touch-and-go. At one point she spent over ten minutes deliberating her move before I successfully explained to her that 1) the only remaining living monster was stunned, 2) I was taking a long rest, 3) she only had two cards left in her hand, therefore 4) her initiative order did not matter

She actually suggests playing on her own now without my prompting

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Xad posted:

helpful

OOOHHHH man the number of errors I'd avoid if I'd just remember how Advantage works. I look at this attack modifier system that to my eyes is plainly inspired by D&D's d20 + Advantage / Disadvantage system and my brain just makes assumptions. Thanks guys, saved me 30G that might have gone to Eagle Eye Goggles.

Triforce-related chat: Still thinking I want a Piercing Bow though so Ice Spikes or Formless Power'd Crystalline Blast and its ilk can clean up ghosts. And on that point a big reason I've been putting so much thought to the class is that I'm trying to divine what Level 1 cards, if any, are useful forever, so I can start considering where to put enhancements. Once I have money. What Level 1s, if any, would you keep using even at 9? Formless Power was a top candidate for me because the buff looks applicable always.

KingKapalone posted:

I wish people talked about lightning bolts this much! Not as complex though obviously.

My team has a Lightning Bolt unlock coming up so you may yet see me postin' about that soon :) But Triforce is our first and only unlock so far. For real if you / your friend want(s) to pass on Triforce thoughts they're welcome - it seems nobody agrees 100% on how to make it work best.

I have a build plan that differs a bit from all other build plans I've seen but I'm still mulling it over obviously.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Oh no, my friend really likes his Triforce. His XP and gold gain is insane too.

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.

SuperKlaus posted:

Triforce-related chat: What Level 1s, if any, would you keep using even at 9?
I think putting additional elements on the fast bottom move twos has a pretty big payoff. If you can get an any element enchantment on the ice one it can basically power up all of the cards that you really care about (2xstun, execute, pierce) More generally: I think simulacrum is an essential card for elementalists. By the time you’re level 6 getting 4-5 elements on board happens pretty frequently (especially with primal duality) and that makes it a 2x 5-6 damage at range 3. I only played the class to level 7, but the key top actions for me were that, vengeance, winter’s edge, and shaping the ether for stuns and/or pushes. With those actions plus the bottom of burial (and sometimes crystallizing blast for aoe / random elements) you can do a whole lot of different things very well.

For items: (unlockable spoilers) You already have powerful actions so making sure you can use them is key. Boots, mana/stamina potions, wands, and potion refresh items seemed great.

On a separate note, anyone have tips for the music note? I’m playing with a circles class in a 4p group, which I think changes the calculus of the class a bit and I’m tempted to run melody and harmony so I can keep up tons of buffs on all of the summons and teammates, but I’m unsure if that’s actually good and what buffs to focus on. Are any of the offensive songs actually worth it?

Recaffeinated fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 1, 2018

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Recaffeinated posted:

On a separate note, anyone have tips for the music note? I’m playing with a circles class in a 4p group, which I think changes the calculus of the class a bit and I’m tempted to run melody and harmony so I can keep up tons of buffs on all of the summons and teammates, but I’m unsure if that’s actually good and what buffs to focus on. Are any of the offensive songs actually worth it?

With the circles class and all its summons, plus one damage does an amazing amount to kill stuff. It can be the equivalent to 6 extra damage every turn easily.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I haven't played the class myself but I'm seeing it played now: He's trying a retaliate build because all the Reddit guides said it wouldn't work and he's just coming off proving summons are overpowered. We're at Prosperity 6, so there are items that can help with this build, and we have Music Note who also has a way to help. Thus far it's been a little tricky to pull off, but at least once per scenario he will and we'll see 4-5 enemies attack and each take 7 damage ignoring shield. Anything that survives will get killed soon enough, and taking damage is desirable. It also helps that the group has really pushed curses; it's relatively common for half the incoming attacks to miss and then take the retaliation.

I think the ideal group for this build might be Lightning, Music Note, Cthulhu-face, and Three Spears. The main weakness (obviously) is ranged enemies.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We beat both scenarios but it was touch-and-go.

This is one of my favorite things about Gloomhaven. I'm running two parties (not campaigns) at once, and we're pretty far along (past scenario 31) and recently had the party that hadn't played Scenario 2 go through on casual mode with three L6-7 characters. We just barely squeaked out a victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Narsham posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Gloomhaven. I'm running two parties (not campaigns) at once, and we're pretty far along (past scenario 31) and recently had the party that hadn't played Scenario 2 go through on casual mode with three L6-7 characters. We just barely squeaked out a victory.

I can already tell the game is stunningly well balanced. I guess the abolition of dice makes that easier because everything is more predictable.