Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Aunt Beth posted:

Isn’t long, intense computation exactly why research clusters and other server-grade hardware exists? Is the guy just not using the right tools for his job?

This laptop will be attached to a machine that basically shakes a cardboard box for 1-2 months to collect data on how the box handles that stress. It's basically pulling PLC data for an extended period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rexxed posted:

All of these practical solutions are terrible. That developer needs a Tesla power wall.

The real solution is probably automatic generator failover and a small UPS to make sure it doesn't lose power when the generator trips. I don't think that's happening but off the top of my head that's my first thought.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vargatron posted:

This laptop will be attached to a machine that basically shakes a cardboard box for 1-2 months to collect data on how the box handles that stress. It's basically pulling PLC data for an extended period of time.
If it's just simple data collection, get a Raspberry Pi and hook it up to a decently sized lead-acid battery with a trickle charger. It will run off that for weeks.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Collateral Damage posted:

If it's just simple data collection, get a Raspberry Pi and hook it up to a decently sized lead-acid battery with a trickle charger. It will run off that for weeks.

Matlab doesn’t run on a Pi.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If the box shaking machine loses power, isn't the experiment hosed anyway? Does the box shaker have it's own generator?

Seems to me you connect the box shaker and the laptop to the same power source and forget it. If that source fails, it doesn't matter if the laptop stays up.

Also, tell this guy to figure out how to record his data to disk in regular intervals so he's not relying on an 'all or nothing' one month execution.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also, tell this guy to figure out how to record his data to disk in regular intervals so he's not relying on an 'all or nothing' one month execution.
Hey buddy, find a solution to the problem I asked about, not a different one.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One of these days I really need to update my personal notes with all the git commands I use. I don't repeat them often enough to memorize them. I just recall all the easy stuff like commits and changing branches.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Matlab doesn’t run on a Pi.

Not with that attitude. :colbert:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Rewrite the data collection part in a scripting language and import into Matlab for analysis after the experiment is done.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes seriously, data collection should happen as light-weight as possible, a very short and simple path from instruments to storage, on a low-power system that can restart quickly. Ideally it uses off-board storage (e.g. on a NAS or SAN), but also has local buffering so it can keep collecting data even if the storage is down for a while.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vargatron posted:

If it's PLC data can't you just point it at a historian server on the network someplace and set it up for store and forward (assuming the PLC isn't some ancient beast and can do that) to handle any possible interruptions that occur along the way?

Shoving that off onto a laptop seems silly unless it's in a place where you have zero network connectivity and it's too expensive to get it there.

In the PLC world this is an extremely solved problem because in most manufacturing/industrial systems you have critical data (usually regulatory) in at least one place that absolutely cannot be lost under any circumstances unless you want some extremely nasty fines.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 3, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hey, how is that goon's smol babby from like 50 pages ago doing?

:ohdear:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Hey, how is that goon's smol babby from like 50 pages ago doing?

:ohdear:

Oh. hey. Thanks for asking.

I haven't had much ticket related content lately (short of driving across town because my highest paid tech can't walk a user through unplugging a laptop and holding the drat power button down).

As for the kiddo : GOOD! She's still in the NICU, but today, as her 65th day on this earth, she had her first trial of being completely tube free. They took out both her oxygen and feeding tubes today. Today is the first day I've seen her face, zero attachments. She's come a long way from 1.4 lbs at birth, to currently 4.8 lbs.

Only interesting babby stories lately : her shits are extra noxious. the Mother's Milk she feeds on gets some crazy additives from the hospital.. and the nurse told us "yeah, it's really filling. the additive is no joke what makes her dookie absolutely awful, and picture yourself eating a thanksgiving dinner every 2 hours. That's what she's doing right now". Anyways : that leads into one of her final days in the incubator. She was chilling in there after a feed, and her oxygen and respiratory readings had dropped super suddenly. Turns out, she shat it up in there so bad, and it smelled SO gross, that she held her breath. she legit fumigated herself in there.

If she continues to be successful with bottling and breathing on her own (there's a chance she might not but that's not a big deal) .. then the chance exists we might be able to bring her home in the next maybe week or so.

Unrelated : there's a lot of out-of-towners in my area lately. which one of you loving nerds is this?

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 4, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nerdrock posted:

Oh. hey. Thanks for asking.

I haven't had much ticket related content lately (short of driving across town because my highest paid tech can't walk a user through unplugging a laptop and holding the drat power button down).

As for the kiddo : GOOD! She's still in the NICU, but today, as her 65th day on this earth, she had her first trial of being completely tube free. They took out both her oxygen and feeding tubes today. Today is the first day I've seen her face, zero attachments. She's come a long way from 1.4 lbs at birth, to currently 4.8 lbs.

Only interesting babby stories lately : her shits are extra noxious. the Mother's Milk she feeds on gets some crazy additives from the hospital.. and the nurse told us "yeah, it's really filling. the additive is no joke what makes her dookie absolutely awful, and picture yourself eating a thanksgiving dinner every 2 hours. That's what she's doing right now". Anyways : that leads into one of her final days in the incubator. She was chilling in there after a feed, and her oxygen and respiratory readings had dropped super suddenly. Turns out, she shat it up in there so bad, and it smelled SO gross, that she held her breath. she legit fumigated herself in there.

If she continues to be successful with bottling and breathing on her own (there's a chance she might not but that's not a big deal) .. then the chance exists we might be able to bring her home in the next maybe week or so.

That’s great! I’m glad to hear all of this. Ours was out of the box in the open air for a couple of days before we took him home but on O2 throughout so it sounds like yours is doing really well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

The real question is why are you not already using Greenshot?

I have to screenshot DNS updates and ExtraHop data and I've been trying to find something as easy as MacOS's selective screenshot tool and this is the best thing I've seen so far. Thanks for posting it.

Why are default screenshot options so terrible on Windows.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why are default screenshot options so terrible on Windows.

Because Greenshot exists?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Not with that attitude. :colbert:

I doubt it's actually y'know good but GNU Octave actually almost certainly does.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Moved into a new office building and the rack there is too shallow for our PowerEdge R730 sliding rails. gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've done that before where I've asked for a server cabinet and been given a comms cabinet.

Here's a handy file https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/rail-rack-matrix.pdf

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Guess I have to buy a rack shelf and put it on there.

Currently it's lounging at the bottom of a patch panel cabinet with like 1/5 of the server sticking out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN, I am in your city and it's pretty nice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

CLAM DOWN, I am in your city and it's pretty nice.

Hope you're at the pride parade, you came on the perfect long weekend!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Catching up on this thread after being on a week long staycation, and I wanted to link the goon IT IRC channel that I now kinda run since a few people were asking about it:

#she-it on Synirc

If you were familiar with #bofh on Synirc, this is its new home after the owner of that channel had a stupid meltdown and kicked everyone out. It was initially started as a women-friendly IT chatroom, so if you're a misogynist rear end in a top hat feel free to not join us. Everything goes otherwise, we have a good size crowd that generally stays on an IT topic, and always welcome new faces.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Is it just me or does Office365 weirdly reject perfectly valid passwords for no reason?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Big business rep tape is the worst. Why does it take 12 seperate email threads to move an AP

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sepist posted:

Big business rep tape is the worst. Why does it take 12 seperate email threads to move an AP

Bikeshedding.

edit: It is rampant in my company. To be honest, the 4 flavours of manager to every 1 engineer isn't helping either.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 6, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Bikeshedding.

edit: It is rampant in my company. To be honest, the 4 flavours of manager to every 1 engineer isn't helping either.

A bunch of years ago, upper middle management (yes we had more than a couple layers) was basically eliminated to make us more lean in an effort to mitigate against this. But like the gecko, that layer regenerated over time and it became "The King is dead, long live the King!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have a sys admin that communicates outages and other company wide messages in hilarious ways. The emails a light hearted and sometimes skirt the line of a little unprofessional. Everyone reads the drat things though and that alone is worth the cost of admission. He has been doing this for like 7 months and basically has a cult following here.

A new director brought it up at a leadership meeting that she didn't like the emails and they should be completely professional from now on. I countered that safely and professional written emails are often ignored by the masses. I also pointed out that these emails are internal only and I have only gotten good feedback about them from the employees. After asking which one in particular that she thought crossed the line she squeeled "I shouldn't have to see a homer simpson meme in my email." I knew right then and there that she wouldn't have read the loving email in the first place if it was in a standard format.

CEO said he likes the emails but told me to caution him about not getting "too out there". :smugdon:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else drowning in Slack channels? Someone trying to reach my group has the option to post in any one of 4 Slack channels, all slightly different versions of our team’s name. Which means I have to monitor all of them (in addition to a couple dozen channels for other groups).

Email is near worthless because of just sheer volume and now they’re doing the same thing with Slack.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone managing Azure for their orginization needs to check out https://www.overcast.cloud

Very easy to read break down of all of your spending by resource. And it is free to any business spending less that $50k/month.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Sickening posted:

I have a sys admin that communicates outages and other company wide messages in hilarious ways. The emails a light hearted and sometimes skirt the line of a little unprofessional. Everyone reads the drat things though and that alone is worth the cost of admission. He has been doing this for like 7 months and basically has a cult following here.

A new director brought it up at a leadership meeting that she didn't like the emails and they should be completely professional from now on. I countered that safely and professional written emails are often ignored by the masses. I also pointed out that these emails are internal only and I have only gotten good feedback about them from the employees. After asking which one in particular that she thought crossed the line she squeeled "I shouldn't have to see a homer simpson meme in my email." I knew right then and there that she wouldn't have read the loving email in the first place if it was in a standard format.

CEO said he likes the emails but told me to caution him about not getting "too out there". :smugdon:

Anytime I send a 'silly' message, people read it and remember it. I added "Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is..." to the email about our new Wifi information and not a single user has asked about the Wifi. I've had people come to me to ask, and then they go "Oh wait you sent that email with it let me go find my mission". They remember the joke line and the subject of the email so they can go find it themselves.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Anyone managing Azure for their orginization needs to check out https://www.overcast.cloud

Very easy to read break down of all of your spending by resource. And it is free to any business spending less that $50k/month.

You just saved my company 12k a month. Thanks broski.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My commission is 30% of the saved amount per month for a year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

My commission is 30% of the saved amount per month for a year.

Sorry, I am going to take every suggestion this random website is going to throw at me and buy a boat with the huge bonus I am going to get at christmas.

Actually, just a bigger boat.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
IT Thread I am feeling really burnt out.. My company is going through a p rough year so the focus is majorly on saving cash and while we've reduced our IT spend by close to 15% there is really not much else I can do in regards to saving, and it is like becoming increasingly difficult to get them to spend anything to invest in systems we really need to stay competitive so it feels like it is going to just get worse. ERP Project has been delayed indefinitely, our WMS system got turned down, we are just running out of things that IT can actually do for this company, especially with no money. The more frustrating piece is getting told 'if you want to spend money you need to find money elsewhere' when I've already found a few 100k in savings just this year. Like I found the money to put down on at least the WMS and Traceability systems, or put a good dent in the ERP cost. I am just getting super frustrated with this place.

e; is it burned-out or burnt-out?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Find a new job.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kashuno posted:

The more frustrating piece is getting told 'if you want to spend money you need to find money elsewhere' when I've already found a few 100k in savings just this year. Like I found the money to put down on at least the WMS and Traceability systems, or put a good dent in the ERP cost. I am just getting super frustrated with this place.

I've run into this problem before at $JOB-1

"I'm sorry but you saved money in the OpEx budget, you can't just transfer that over to the CapEx budget"

It's a good thing you can't stab people via email, or I'd be posting this from prison.

Yes. Do this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is it just me or does Office365 weirdly reject perfectly valid passwords for no reason?

You probably have an authentication server issue or you have a bad account stored locally in Credential Manager that is tied to Outlook.

If this is the web portal of Office365, then it leans towards an auth or account issue.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

This. Last place had a host of issues, but the second year I was there they became especially tight fisted with the IT spend, to include getting denied to spend the $30,000 that was already budgeted for replacement servers.

New place spends the money for poo poo to get it done right.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yup. If they're cutting back budgets that much, the next place they're going to look to make a saving is payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If you can't afford IT, you can't afford your business. Like a restaurant buying poo poo in bulk, freezing it, and microwaving it to 'reduce costs', you will see an increasingly steep spiral from cutting IT costs to having a dysfunctional failed business.

Cheap IT breaks productivity, broken productivity doesn't make money, no money means cheaper IT. Without a major business innovation there's no escaping the spiral.