Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/1025896371298201600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Didn't the LN add a bad ending?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think one interesting thing about that story is that Katarina isn’t precisely stupid - she’s just under a serious misapprehension about her circumstances. She thinks she’s stuck in a game with NPCs with pre-programmed behaviours, when she’s instead in an actual fantasy world based on that game. So the entire cast falling for her isn’t just inconceivable because she’s dense, but because she thinks there’s nothing in their programming that could possibly allow for that. It’d be kind of interesting if the story starts delving into that (in its usual silly, light-hearted way, of course).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 5, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I laughed hard at this, because my only probation is because of a spoiler that a mod thought wasn't one.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The other thing about Katarina, is that she is the best

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like Katarina, but don't forget about her edgier cousin, Eliza! Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta (Now up to chapter 221 and catching up decently fast, I'm still on 213 or there abouts).

It scratches my itch for something quasi-similar to A Song of Ice and Fire; in that you have a fairly well developed fantasy world with believable politics and wars while having combat encounters that remind me of Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights while focusing on Bakarina's smarter but still sorta dense edgy cousin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bakarina anime when?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Another thanks to whoever recommended I give Hoshino, Close Your Eyes a shot. I'm about 20 chapters in and it's surprisingly good for something I kept seeing but wrote off because, well, most "Romcom Shonen" I've tried are just straight garbage. This is far, far more thoughtful than I thought it would be. The protagonist reminds me a bit of the dude in Masturbation Master Kurosawa though not nearly as far gone. The "I need you to do my makeup!" facade is handled in a surprisingly emotional way so far, with Hoshino not wanting the troubles of Tracksuit Girl to follow her in her made up form. I was kinda hoping Kanou would get some more coverage based on how she's represented early on and it seems she, and some others I didn't expect, will be getting some character development real soon. The whole gay student plot development surprised me too, I saw it coming but kinda, well, I expected it to dehumanize them a bit, since I've not seen a great track record of shonen series treating the topic even remotely delicately. Kobayakawa himself seems to have some serious trauma and self-loathing issues and more than just the initial "let my friend get bullied" part from early on, for a bit I thought it was going to do the cliche "Hoshino turned out to be that friend!!!" but it never did. Least, not yet, anyway.

It seems it's completed at 13 volumes, and translations are up to volume 9 or so, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes in the remaining 75%ish! Thanks for the rec!

oh, also, the faces are fantastic.

edit: drat, as I say that, I reach this shot, which is just drat good.

Just flat-out disappointed and exhausted with dealing with that reaction, you can tell.

edit: :lol: FOR gently caress'S SAKE

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 5, 2018

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
kanou loving rules.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yer goddamn right

So does yuge-sensei, for as long as she's around anyway

She's basically the temporary party member in an rpg who has all the god-tier spells and can't stay because it would make any progression for the lesser characters meaningless

edit: I was not sure about this new character but this has promise

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 6, 2018

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake, you know, that one ecchi manga that lovingly shows busty girls in their underwear, has finally gone beyond the pale with the lewdest drat sequence ever:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol holy gently caress

(boy, that was basically my face to the relevant page)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Love is Hard for Otaku.... but Comiket is about to get a lot harder for Narumi.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

finally i dont feel like ive cheated myself reading thiss comic

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

lol holy gently caress

....ffs, USE LUBE. SELF-LUBRICATING ASSHOLES ARE A FUJOSHI SMUTFIC DELUSION.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Sweetness and Lightning is a drat panacea for my soul.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

DisDisDis posted:

finally i dont feel like ive cheated myself reading thiss comic

this looks really cute. source?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for an Otaku. It's also licensed by Kodansha Comics, who have the first two volumes available.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bakarina on vacation!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Her mother does/n't deserve such a great/terrible daughter.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Glasses Keith is too powerful.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm waiting for the spinoff of Wotakoi featuring the younger brother and his tomboy friend :3:

They even made it to the anime sigh.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Bakarina is going to turn this into a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory game, so help her god

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
now that I've caught up on Hoshino it deals with some real deep poo poo for a shonen and it's quite good. Really don't like the glasses girl though. Pretty curious what it'll do in the remaining 4 volumes or so.

Also Hoshino's true form without makeup is a Yukkuri

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I read the first couple chapters a long time ago then forgot about it, but I'm now fully caught up, and:

Inflammatory posted:

kanou loving rules.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

Bakarina is going to turn this into a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory game, so help her god

And she still has the snake! :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
By the end of it she will have a fully functioning clockwork snake

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just wonder but is there a character someone for whom as a subtle personality trait just always seems to possess a great sense of style? I see a lot of characters that are dressed stylishly but not necessarily because they the character are also stylish; like sometimes I get the sense that's just the artistic style of the artist, you know what I mean? And I wonder, are there any VNs/LNs, that are like, how FSN is to cooking, are to clothing styles and dressing well?

One example is the girl from Citrus who starts off over dressed and gradually tones that down as a reflection of her own inner growth.

Which reminds me I need to keep reading Hoshino.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kano is a very good example of that imo. Not as pronounced a change but it does happen eventually.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kare Kano?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no, Kanou from Hoshino, Close Your Eyes. I misspelled her name in my prior post.

Good character.

Big ol' spoilers for Hoshino I forgot to mention before:

when I made the first post about reading Hoshino, I mentioned Kobayakawa's childhood friend and how cliche it would be if it turned out to be Hoshino as a kid who he thought was a boy. But iirc that very same chapter I mentioned I was on it spilled the beans that KANOU was the childhood friend. So cliche, but not the the character I expected to fill the cliche spot. Hence the OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kanou is best girl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Which is why she lost :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

And she still has the snake! :3:

And she managed to prove herself as a suitable husband-to-be to a very sceptical parent, because of course she did.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Have some more The Ring yuri.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cursed_video

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Gimme a manga where the chars become more gyaru as they grow. Besides Girlfriends.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

what a mood

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Captain Invictus posted:

lol holy gently caress

What is it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OscarDiggs posted:

What is it?
It's from Hoshino. I'd recommend reading it rather than spoiling yourself on it, but if you really want to without reading it, here it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

DisDisDis posted:

what a mood

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/happy_nest

The one-shot that came up right after that is pretty nice