Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yossarian-22 posted:

It seemed as though terriers had a particularly bad prey drive but now the message I'm getting is that all dogs have this issue

Ding ding ding ding. And we have a winning answer! Also poodles were historically hunting dogs, which is why they are so smart. Some dogs have higher prey drives than others, and certain breeds are better at heeling than others and resisting prey drive, but if you put a dog in an environment with a smaller furry animal whose primary instinct is to run, dollars to donuts that dog will want to chase that animal down and catch it.

A good deal of it is behavioral dude. Some dogs and cats can coexist (and not all dogs, and not all cats, and some dogs and cats will be ok until they aren’t/will be fine with certain dogs and certain cats that they are acclimated to but try to kill/eat other ones) because a major part of it is that they are both predators and are behaviorally and biologically set up to see themselves as hunters at the top of their respective food chains rather than as food, and are equipped with claws and teeth and behaviors that enable them to jockey for dominance and survival.

Rabbits can do that to some extent, but mostly against other rabbits or as a last ditch effort against a perceived aggressor that has pinned them down. Otherwise their first instinct is to run away as fast as they can. And a dog’s first instinct will be to chase the running prey animal and catch it.

You know how dogs can “smell fear” and generally respect/calm down around/submit to a stranger who is relaxed around them but potentially chase and bite somebody who acts afraid of them and runs away? A rabbit is never going to act like a calm fellow predator around your dog (maybe if you raise them together from infancy and really instill a lack of fear in the rabbit and sense of familiarity in the dog). The rabbits will fear the dog and the dog will sense that and understand that they are prey. Or they will simply smell like a small, non-dog animal to the dog who will understand them as food. Either way, the dog will want to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

This seems to suggest that rabbits and dogs aren't totally irreconcilable https://rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html

And other sources I've seen have said that mini-poodles have essentially had the prey drive bred out of them.

I'm sorry that I got off on the wrong foot with this thread given the terrier situation, but I did enough research (including here in this thread) to ultimately take the terrier back after one day. I am doing my damndest to help the buns here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

This seems to suggest that rabbits and dogs aren't totally irreconcilable https://rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html

And other sources I've seen have said that mini-poodles have essentially had the prey drive bred out of them.

I'm sorry that I got off on the wrong foot with this thread given the terrier situation, but I did enough research (including here in this thread) to ultimately take the terrier back after one day. I am doing my damndest to help the buns here

I’m not saying it can’t happen but be on your toes. And if the rabbits/dog can’t hack it choose whatever you’re happiest with and do the work to rehome. I’m not gonna give you hate for rehoming the buns like other posters before me have- sometimes life situations change or you move or whatever and it’s ok to give the rabbits up as long as you do your homework and ensure they go to a good home with people who will really care for them well. Just don’t foist them on a shelter or rescue that is already dealing with multiple animals because you’d rather have the dog.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Not to add to the snark but you just linked an article which contains the following sentences:

quote:

I have heard many horror stories about dogs and rabbits who were "just fine together until one day... I don't know how it could have happened...."

quote:

But aren't rabbits and dogs natural enemies? Can we ever overcome the dog's instinct for predation?
Well, yes. And no.

quote:

After being harassed by a playful pup, a rabbit can go into a terminal state of shock.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

We brought home the terrier and it was impossible to manage, so we took it back. We tried really hard to limit its access to the enclosure but he was just too goddamn indefatigable in all things.

Now we have an adorable, laid back, and smart af 1 year old poodle. We've tried introducing her to both of the buns but she still has issues with them.

Does anyone know the general template for introducing doggos to rabbits? You've all been really helpful so far and even influenced my decision to take the terrier back
You're a loving moron. Enjoy your dead-rear end rabbits, moron.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh but it's okay because you called it a "doggo." You know so little about dogs that you're even one of those people who adopted a puppy, discovered they're hard work, then took it back. You suck so much. You are a lovely pet owner, and appear to just be a generally irresponsible rear end. And I don't mean this in the sense of "oh, you didn't get the right kind of cat litter, kill yourself" that pet discussion has a reputation for. I mean you're impulsive, you don't appear able to do research, and you only hear what you want to hear. gently caress yourself.

Yossarian-22 posted:

You didn't research poo poo, rear end. Dogs and rabbits are not "irreconcilable," but it requires a lot more expertise than you will ever had, and you can't just introduce a new dog to the existing territory of two rabbits, regardless of how "chill" the dog is.

Also, "I did enough research to ultimately take the terrier back after one day" isn't research. It's an impulse decision you regretted. Then, rather than admit you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, you bought another dog. Forget about the rabbits for a second, what the gently caress are you going to do with a highly intelligent, active breed like a poodle? You are not qualified to own that drat dog. And what the gently caress is your girlfriend doing? Does she just nod and smile and say "whatever you think is right, dear?" Tell her these are her animals too, and she needs to stop you from being such a loving idiot.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh but it's okay because you called it a "doggo." You know so little about dogs that you're even one of those people who adopted a puppy, discovered they're hard work, then took it back. You suck so much. You are a lovely pet owner, and appear to just be a generally irresponsible rear end. And I don't mean this in the sense of "oh, you didn't get the right kind of cat litter, kill yourself" that pet discussion has a reputation for. I mean you're impulsive, you don't appear able to do research, and you only hear what you want to hear. gently caress yourself.

You didn't research poo poo, rear end. Dogs and rabbits are not "irreconcilable," but it requires a lot more expertise than you will ever had, and you can't just introduce a new dog to the existing territory of two rabbits, regardless of how "chill" the dog is.

Also, "I did enough research to ultimately take the terrier back after one day" isn't research. It's an impulse decision you regretted. Then, rather than admit you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, you bought another dog. Forget about the rabbits for a second, what the gently caress are you going to do with a highly intelligent, active breed like a poodle? You are not qualified to own that drat dog. And what the gently caress is your girlfriend doing? Does she just nod and smile and say "whatever you think is right, dear?" Tell her these are her animals too, and she needs to stop you from being such a loving idiot.

Haha, go gently caress yourself because you literally know nothing and yet you decided to have an epic meltdown. I have allergy sensitivities. It was my gf who really wanted a dog and she was bent on getting a cute looking terrier from craigslist, a three year old one at that (not a puppy), who was being fostered. He was being offered for free and we decided to essentially rent him to see how he'd fare. I decided to embark what was essentially a one day allergy/bunny experiment for her sake (even though I told her it probably wouldn't work out in advance) after which we took him back, and you decided to elevate me to some kind of heartless bogeyman as a result of just trying something interesting for one day. Since then we found an actual even tempered pup who's been nothing short of terrific, and we've limited her to our living room and bedroom all for the buns' sake

It's funny how you white-knighted my own girlfriend even though this is being done on her own initiative, you dumb rear end in a top hat. I've owned two dogs previously; she hasn't. I'm helping her with having her first ever dog, and it wasn't her intention to bar any possibility of owning a dog by virtue of getting rabbits.

If there is no possibility of having a dog and a bun live together in any capacity, then you should have just said that poo poo to begin with instead of singling out "prey drive" dogs as being the problem. I followed your advice you loving ingrate

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 6, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

Haha, go gently caress yourself because you literally know nothing and yet you decided to have an epic meltdown. I have allergy sensitivities. It was my gf who really wanted a dog and she was bent on getting a cute looking terrier from craigslist, a three year old one at that (not a puppy), who was being fostered. He was being offered for free and we decided to essentially rent him to see how he'd fare. I decided to embark what was essentially a one day allergy/bunny experiment for her sake (even though I told her it probably wouldn't work out in advance) after which we took him back, and you decided to elevate me to some kind of heartless bogeyman as a result of just trying something interesting for one day. Since then we found an actual even tempered pup who's been nothing short of terrific, and we've limited her to our living room and bedroom all for the buns' sake

It's funny how you white-knighted my own girlfriend even though this is being done on her own initiative, you dumb rear end in a top hat. I've owned two dogs previously; she hasn't. I'm helping her with having her first ever dog, and it wasn't her intention to bar any possibility of owning a dog by virtue of getting rabbits.

If there is no possibility of having a dog and a bun live together in any capacity, then you should have just said that poo poo to begin with instead of singling out "prey drive" dogs as being the problem. I followed your advice you loving ingrate

Did you, though? Because we've been saying that from the very beginning.

You clearly misunderstood/willfully ignored all of the instances where multiple people have said "dogs have prey drive, some dogs (terriers and hunting/retriever breeds) have stronger prey drive than others." There is no such thing as a "prey drive dog." Prey drive is an instinctive, evolved behavior that dogs have had since before they were domesticated. It's why they like to chase stuff and fetch. Humans have taken advantage of this behavior in some breeds and tried to tame it down in others, but it's always there in some form, and a major part of responsible dog ownership is recognizing that there's no such thing as a 100% trustworthy dog in the sense of behavior.

This is why surprise (and not-so-surprise) dog bites/animal killings/injuries/fights/ingestions happen all of the time, often with dogs that are normally extremely well-behaved. Look at the dog threads and you'll find tons of posts about "my dog who was totally fine for years and I never expected he'd attack that squirrel/eat that weird thing/get spooked by that other dog/bite that person/bite me/roll in that poop/break that object/have to go to the e-vet for this/etc." And that risk becomes exponentially higher with a dog that you're relatively unfamiliar with and getting to know. It's a fact of life.

And as everybody has mentioned multiple times, even if the dog is the perfect model of good behavior, you are still creating an environment where the rabbits will be tremendously stressed. They can smell the dog in the house. You can keep the dog in the bedroom and they'll smell it from the basement, because that's what their olfactory sense is evolved to do. And they will be jumpy and uncomfortable and probably way harder to work with. And if you smell like the dog to them (which you will), they will react negatively to you. And if they see the dog they'll be like HOLY poo poo ITS THAT PREDATOR I SMELLED THERE IT IS ITS HERE OH GOD and it will be bad for them. We have said this multiple times.

We said all of these things before you and your girlfriend "rented" the terrier for a day, which very well could've resulted in an unfortunate accident.

So your girlfriend's the impulsive moron. Thanks for clearing that up for us. It's unfortunate that she didn't bother to do any research about this- or if she did, that she ignored it and decided to impulse adopt a dog anyway. Glad to know that you see yourself as the "sensible one" in the pair enough to do some research, get some concrete answers, and then at least try to backtrack a bit. If she's so keen on getting a new dog then you two should be doing the legwork to rehome the rabbits. If she feels like she needs to collect different incompatible types of pets and have them both at the same time then that's a matter between you two, and potentially your local SPCA, but please don't be snippy with the thread when we give you answers you don't like.

I'm sure that you can find examples of people that have dogs and rabbits. I also keep reptiles, and many- probably most- of the people who currently have reptiles house them improperly, which is unfortunate because many reptiles are hardy and long-lived enough to endure lovely conditions for years and they're readily available so tons of people buy them who really shouldn't. That doesn't mean that those animals aren't being improperly cared for, or that they wouldn't be much happier in different environments.

Also none of us are being loving "ingrates." That's not how you use that word. We have nothing to be grateful or ungrateful about in this situation. You aren't giving us anything or helping us in any way or doing us any favors by making responsible and informed decisions. Hell, as much as we love rabbits and (probably) hate animal cruelty most of us are not too broken up about the fact that you've decided to potentially do an ecology experiment with your pets. Rabbits are prey animals and research model organisms and bad things happen to them in nature all the time. You aren't deigning to do anything on our behalf by taking our advice. If anything we're laughing at your dumb rear end because you have a girlfriend who makes lovely, expensive decisions that you seem to have no problem going along with. Personally, I feel a little bit bad for the rabbits because they'll be stressed/eaten and it sounds like their owners aren't super well-informed. I feel pretty bad for the dog because its environment is seriously constrained and it sounds like it'll be used as a "training wheels dog" for somebody who seems to care more about a dog's aesthetics than its personality, and I feel bad for you because your girlfriend sounds really dumb.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Haha, go gently caress yourself because you literally know nothing and yet you decided to have an epic meltdown. I have allergy sensitivities. It was my gf who really wanted a dog and she was bent on getting a cute looking terrier from craigslist, a three year old one at that (not a puppy), who was being fostered.

You went disastrously wrong here. If the dog was actually being fostered, it wouldn't be on craigslist, it would be through the shelter and animals being fostered are specifically not ready for adoption - that's why they're being fostered for whatever reason until they're ready for adoption from the shelter.

You and your girlfriend are not doing your research about dogs, at all, and your rabbits are paying the price.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Your pets are not an experiment, moron.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I'm going to step back here, because it's clear that you all passed a judgement on me as soon as I ended up taking a rental terrier home for one day. If I had simply adopted the poodle and asked for tips without that having happened, I'd bet we'd be having a more constructive dialog right now. But alas, admittedly I made a stupid decision with that one day rental, and paid essentially no price for it aside from some poop on the rug, which I guess you can all take solace in for being bad karma or whatever.

My googling has yielded mixed results as to whether or not bunnies and dogs can coexist peacefully. If any of you have any sources aside to discourage me from owning both aside from your own firm no's then I'll happily look at them.

I want to just point out that there was only one message that had anything to say about other kinds of dogs and it was much more equivocal than any of your recent ad hominems have been: "If your house/garden is big enough rather look at a bigger cuddly dog like a Labrador that doesn't have several hundred years of rabbit-killing bred into it."

The bad advice is coming from inside the thread!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your pets are not an experiment, moron.

Nice username/post combo

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Have fun burying your rabbits then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm going to step back here, because it's clear that you all passed a judgement on me as soon as I ended up taking a rental terrier home for one day. If I had simply adopted the poodle and asked for tips without that having happened, I'd bet we'd be having a more constructive dialog right now. But alas, admittedly I made a stupid decision with that one day rental, and paid essentially no price for it aside from some poop on the rug, which I guess you can all take solace in for being bad karma or whatever.

My googling has yielded mixed results as to whether or not bunnies and dogs can coexist peacefully. If any of you have any sources aside to discourage me from owning both aside from your own firm no's then I'll happily look at them.

I want to just point out that there was only one message that had anything to say about other kinds of dogs and it was much more equivocal than any of your recent ad hominems have been: "If your house/garden is big enough rather look at a bigger cuddly dog like a Labrador that doesn't have several hundred years of rabbit-killing bred into it."

If you had just adopted the poodle and asked for tips, this thread would be calling you a dumb gently caress and telling you to take the poodle back.

You're the kind of poster PI loves to tear apart, someone who comes in with a bad idea that's probably going to end in stressed out, insane, or just plain dead animals and is looking for validation, then acts offended and self-righteous when people who know much more about these animals than you do tell you yours is a very bad idea.

Just because the advice you got wasn't the advice you wanted doesn't make that advice wrong, but you and your girlfriend made your choices clear and your bunnies are in for a bad time that will probably be rather short.

You're a repeat of this dude. He completely ignored the thread's screaming, got the Maremma puppy, and a couple of months later surrendered the puppy to a rescue because it attacked his toddler - exactly what many posters in the thread warned him might happen.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 7, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

gently caress this post and gently caress you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

gently caress you

E: fb, but seriously. I didn’t even bother to scroll all the way down through the replies because that’s how much of a steaming turd this post is. I regret wasting some of the limited time I may have left due to a probably-terminal loving illness giving you good-faith advice.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 7, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yossarian-22 posted:

How much of this research involved videos on Youtube of Dogs and rabbits sitting together?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Just pick the rabbits or the dog. Rehome the one you don't want. This is not complicated.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress you

E: fb, but seriously. I didn’t even bother to scroll all the way down through the replies because that’s how much of a steaming turd this post is. I regret wasting some of the limited time I may have left due to a probably-terminal loving illness giving you good-faith advice.

Thanks for that good faith advice btw. Everyone else, you're (mostly) all assholes and extremely unhelpful.

Again, I just want to emphasize that none of my googling and none of your posts suggested that there was absolutely no way to home bunnies and dogs together (just terriers). The one post that had anything to say about other dogs said that labradors were among the "better breeds." If the dichotomy between "good" and "bad" breeds was as problematic as you're all suggesting it is, then maybe one of you should have refuted that post instead of letting it skirt by unnoticed. Because prior to this onslaught, I had no earthly idea that anyone here or anywhere else viewed bunny/dog cohabitation as a non-starter.

What's pathetic is that you all think that you're helping convince me to rehome my dog by being assholes instead of linking me to any good resources on the matter. So convince me. I've put up with all your bullshit, and yet here I am, waiting for you to link me any resources suggesting that bunnies and dogs (perhaps specifically mini-poodles) are completely irreconcilable critters. If such resources exist let me at 'em, and I'll gladly rehome one or the other.

So far, I've trained my dog to stop whining in the vicinity of the enclosure (on leash) and tried to slowly introduce the animals to each other (on leash). However, I'm still keeping both in separate rooms, and the dog in the bedroom and living room. I take the dog outside via the back entrance (away from the bunnies) and in encounters thus far, the buns seem relatively unfrightened. If it's unworkable, my girlfriend's parents have taken care of the bunnies in the past and would happily care for them over the summer.

But I'm clearly on trial here, and you all assumed I was an irresponsible dimwit for a simple dog rental to acclimate ourselves to dog ownership and to test my allergies, such that it derailed the thread and none aside from Electric Bugaloo has actually tried to engage with me at all. Sorry that I don't dot all my i's and cross my the t's for the cult of bunnies thread, but I didn't exactly get my phd in animal cohabitation.

So far you have all taken turns bashing me and my girlfriend and yet I'M STILL loving HERE. Any honest advice or resources other than "gently caress you" and "don't home them" with minimal explanation on prey drive and how it's bad would be really loving great! Otherwise, I really am done with this poo poo.

If you all honestly want to prevent an internet anon's bunnies from dying, then hit me with your best shots. Please. It happens that I'm in the same boat here, what with giving a poo poo about cute furry creatures and all.

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 7, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Thanks for that good faith advice btw. Everyone else, you're all assholes

Again, I just want to emphasize that none of my googling and none of your posts suggested that there was absolutely no way to home bunnies and dogs together (just terriers). The one post that had anything to say about other dogs said that labradors were among the "better breeds." If the dichotomy between "good" and "bad" breeds was as problematic as you're all suggesting it is, then maybe one of you should have refuted that post instead of letting it skirt by unnoticed. Because prior to this onslaught, I had no earthly idea that anyone here or anywhere else viewed bunny/dog cohabitation as a non-starter.

What's pathetic is that you all think that you're helping convince me to rehome my dog by being assholes instead of linking me to any good resources on the matter. So convince me. I've put up with all your bullshit, and yet here I am, waiting for you to link me any resources suggesting that bunnies and dogs (perhaps specifically mini-poodles) are completely irreconcilable critters. If such resources exist let me at 'em, and I'll gladly rehome one or the other.

So far, I've trained my dog to stop whining in the vicinity of the enclosure (on leash) and tried to slowly introduce the animals to each other (on leash). However, I'm still keeping both in separate rooms, and the dog in the bedroom and living room. I take the dog outside via the back entrance (away from the bunnies) and in encounters thus far, the buns seem relatively unfrightened. If it's unworkable, my girlfriend's parents have taken care of the bunnies in the past and would happily care for them over the summer.

But I'm clearly on trial here, and you all assumed I was an irresponsible dimwit for a simple dog rental to acclimate ourselves to dog ownership and to test my allergies, such that it derailed the thread and none aside from Electric Bugaloo has actually tried to engage with me at all. Sorry that I don't dot all my i's and cross my the t's for the cult of bunnies thread, but I didn't exactly get my phd in animal cohabitation.

So far you have all taken turns bashing me and my girlfriend and yet I'M STILL loving HERE. Any honest advice or resources other than "gently caress you" and "don't home them" with minimal explanation on prey drive and how it's bad would be really loving great! Otherwise, I really am done with this poo poo.

If you all honestly want to prevent an internet anon's bunnies from dying, then hit me with your best shots. Please. It happens that I'm in the same boat here, what with giving a poo poo about cute furry creatures and all.
Nobody's going to try and convince you of poo poo. gently caress you. Live with the consequences of your actions, you spoiled child.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody's going to try and convince you of poo poo. gently caress you. Live with the consequences of your actions, you spoiled child.

Well in the situation that I'm a child, maybe that means you're currently pushing me away so much that I'll be even a more irresponsible child, accidentally let the bunnies die, take pics of the dead bunnies, and pm you with the pics saying BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS in all caps.

I'm giving you a chance to save the bunnies dammit! If you really give a poo poo now's your chance!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Well in the situation that I'm a child, maybe that means you're currently pushing me away so much that I'll be even a more irresponsible child, accidentally let the bunnies die, take pics of the dead bunnies, and pm you with the pics saying BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS in all caps.

I'm giving you a chance to save the bunnies dammit! If you really give a poo poo now's your chance!
Lmfao read this loving post

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yossarian-22 posted:

Here's the problem. We have tried. We have given a poo poo and told you to your face repeatedly.

You've reacted like this. You've thrown it back at us, and now you are blaming us for you being lovely.

I will boil down all the advice to you to save the bunnies.

GET RID OF DOG OR THEM.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Dude, you came to the bunny thread on dead gay forum something awful dot com because you wanted us to google stuff for you ? Be serious.

Everyone told you this was a bad idea, either from experience with dogs or bunnies or both but you keep hoping we might change our minds because ? :confused: I’ve already pointed out some major red flags in the article you linked us, and while I don’t have much experience with dogs I can tell you with absolute certainty that I would never let one in my home as long as I have a rabbit there. Period. Bunnies need a stress free space to live long and happy and any kind of dog is very much NOT that for them. If it was a cat that’d be a maybe but poodles, mini or toy, are not cats.

Just last week my bun sped across the flat hitting doors and furniture on her way because she heard a dog outside. She stomped the floor for minutes hidden under our bed.

If you’re not going to heed the advice of people with decades of bun ownership behind them then why the gently caress did you come here in the first place ?

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 7, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Yossarian-22 posted:

Thanks for that good faith advice btw. Everyone else, you're (mostly) all assholes and extremely unhelpful.

We're trying to be helpful. You're just ignoring all of our advice because you don't like it.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Again, I googled poo poo and got the impression that dogs without enormous prey drives could be tamed around buns. Maybe my research was bad, but then I'd like to see proof that I'm wrong. It's hard for me to listen to the outcry about my decision and the summary warnings here when I'm being attacked personally in bad faith (like accusations from FactsAreUseless that, yes, dogs can be trained, but I'm too impulsive and dumb to train them, which itself undermines the narrative and is an ad hominem). I've been a huge dick to everyone because that's essentially the treatment I've gotten from everyone

If dogs can in fact be trained as FactsAreUseless momentarily conceded then I'd like some advice as to how? If not then I'd like to know why? That's all I'm asking. I apologize if my capacity for graciousness has run dry

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Again, I googled poo poo and got the impression that dogs without enormous prey drives could be tamed around buns. Maybe my research was bad, but then I'd like to see proof that I'm wrong. It's hard for me to listen to the outcry about my decision and the summary warnings here when I'm being attacked personally in bad faith (like accusations from FactsAreUseless that, yes, dogs can be trained, but I'm too impulsive and dumb to train them, which itself undermines the narrative and is an ad hominem). I've been a huge dick to everyone because that's essentially the treatment I've gotten from everyone

If dogs can in fact be trained as FactsAreUseless momentarily conceded then I'd like some advice as to how? If not then I'd like to know why? That's all I'm asking. I apologize if my capacity for graciousness has run dry
What the gently caress are you talking about

Are you having a manic episode? That's how all this reads.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Electric Bugaloo actually gave a specific, reasonable response to me that went into the nuance of poodles being hunting dogs. I specifically then googled "mini poodles prey drive." I ignored the poodle forums and got this as my first result http://www.easypetmd.com/doginfo/miniature-poodle

I quote: "The Miniature Poodle is quite an even tempered breed overall. They get along with most other pets and have never really been bred for game or varmint hunting, so they are usually alright around small animals as they do not have a high “Prey Drive”

There's a huge scarcity of information, I don't have the best idea of how to research this and so admittedly I'm feeling a bit of pause about my poodle/bun situation. I genuinely want answers, not admonishments. If anyone has them, or advice of any kind, great. If not, then I guess I'm done here.

If I'm a dumb guy, then help a dumb guy with facts and sources. Please

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

Are you having a manic episode? That's how all this reads.

Turn on your monitor

I'm going to put you on ignore because you're a fuckwad, Mr. Grinch. Maybe if you weren't polluting the thread with ableism and ad hominems I'd be able to read it

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Electric Bugaloo actually gave a specific, reasonable response to me that went into the nuance of poodles being hunting dogs. I specifically then googled "mini poodles prey drive." I ignored the poodle forums and got this as my first result http://www.easypetmd.com/doginfo/miniature-poodle

I quote: "The Miniature Poodle is quite an even tempered breed overall. They get along with most other pets and have never really been bred for game or varmint hunting, so they are usually alright around small animals as they do not have a high “Prey Drive”

There's a huge scarcity of information, I don't have the best idea of how to research this and so admittedly I'm feeling a bit of pause about my poodle/bun situation. I genuinely want answers, not admonishments. If anyone has them, or advice of any kind, great. If not, then I guess I'm done here.

If I'm a dumb guy, then help a dumb guy with facts and sources. Please

Actually read the article you linked at the top of this very page. Like, read it closely. It says the following things:

It's very difficult to truly breed the prey drive out of a dog.
Successful rabbit-dog introductions are generally situations where a rabbit or rabbits are introduced to the home of an older, more mature dog
Rabbits can go in to terminal shock even when a puppy is being playful.

Not only that, we pointed out what would happen if you introduced a terrier in to an environment with your rabbits and hey, what do you know, that's EXACTLY what happened.

Stop looking for justification for getting a dog, because it's clear that's what you want and you don't give two shits about what anyone here says.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Turn on your monitor

I'm going to put you on ignore because you're a fuckwad, Mr. Grinch. Maybe if you weren't polluting the thread with ableism and ad hominems I'd be able to read it
Please see a doctor because I am actually worried about your mental state.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The terrier was a dumb mistake and I'm a dumbfuck and I already posted essay long meltdowns trying to clear my name for what ended up being a harmless loving one day attempt at fostering a free dog. I consulted this forum shortly before my girlfriend decided to give the dog a go (and away from the buns for that matter), and my research on terriers in addition to the responses here convinced me to bring it back, and despite the patronizing posts I thanked everyone for it. I have braved through being called manic despite having a schizophrenic sister/bipolar brother in law, dealt with being called stupid, and dealt with my girlfriend being called stupid.

But golly gee willickers, it still turns out that I want to be a good person and that I'm still here, somehow. So maybe I do actually give a poo poo and listen to reason. And maybe I'm also stupid for posting on a dead gay forum as someone else said, because maybe the "bunny fanatics" thread isn't the most willing to listen to stories of homing dogs and bunnies together.

But again, I've seen no better information on mini-poodles than the article I just posted, and I'm still willing to reconsider if I somehow glean better information through this thread than that (lol). I appreciate seeing more iterations of "prey drive is bad" and "prey drive is hard to change," but I'm also led to believe that mini-poodles have hardly very much if at all. So what am I to do with all this limited info?

Christ

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 7, 2018

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please see a doctor because I am actually worried about your mental state.

Guess I can't ignore you since you're an admin.

But yeah, gaslighting does that to people

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm also led to believe that mini-poodles have hardly very much if at all.

You've been lead to believe what you want to believe, and ignoring everyone in both this thread and the puppy thread that tell you things you don't want to hear. Now you're just being a shithead on top of ignorant.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can I post the goons pissing in the well yet?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

Guess I can't ignore you since you're an admin.

But yeah, gaslighting does that to people
Nobody's gaslighting you, everyone is being very direct about their feelings.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Cythereal posted:

You've been lead to believe what you want to believe, and ignoring everyone in both this thread and the puppy thread that tell you things you don't want to hear. Now you're just being a shithead on top of ignorant.

The people in the dog thread have been very helpful. One poster helped me realize that all dogs have some degree of prey drive and that I might very well be hosed if I try to press on with cohabitation, which is why I'm still trying to figure this poo poo out for myself.

You realize how hard it is for me to propose a permanent rehoming of one animal or the other to my girlfriend, right? It's a sticky situation and I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing regardless of the choice I make. It takes more than patronizing admonishment to convince me to do something so difficult.

And again, some of you have been really helpful, but this poo poo isn't easy. And if I or my girlfriend is an impulsive dumbass who doesn't think things through, than please help us not be that. :|

Like, hey, more info on mini-poodles. Or more info on different case studies of buns and dogs living together that are relatively not so prey-driven. Or more info on anything pertinent, really. I'm trying here. Otherwise I would have left this thread at the first sign of trouble

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody can help you because you're defensive and insecure and lash out when you're wrong. You need a therapist, not a thread.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yossarian-22 posted:

The people in the dog thread have been very helpful. One poster helped me realize that all dogs have some degree of prey drive and that I might very well be hosed if I try to press on with cohabitation, which is why I'm still trying to figure this poo poo out for myself.

Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but is this not exactly what this thread has been telling you, as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

drat near every post about this topic in this thread has been telling you this. What in the holy loving hell is wrong with you?