Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/Ouu0CF4

Like, fifty bucks in it altogether. I mulched it with junk hay. I fertilized it with manure the guy let me have for the hauling. My buddy teaches horticulture at a high school nearby and he gave me a bunch of starts from their year-end fundraiser sale. I'm very proud of my garden. It was yard this time last year. It will be an even better garden this time next year.

Edit: B-B-B-BRAGSNIPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I got some pictures here of my garden, about 1 month out from planting.

Full view of the garden, with tomatoes on the far edge, peppers next to them, and squash spread out on the closer edge and towards the back. The squash are absolutely out of control, and yesterday we had a big storm roll through that knocked them over. I propped them back up and today I came home and they appear to have recovered pretty well.

The squash are absolutely crazy. They've got flowers forming around the base, so we should start seeing some veggies in about a month. This one is my biggest one, and it is growing together with the tomato plant next to it.

Better view of the peppers, which have doubled in size over the past month. Lots of flowers on these too, same for the tomatoes. Hopefully we'll get a good haul from all these flowers before too long.

Right now Georgia apparently thinks its Florida because we're having daily storms lasting 1-6 hours and some of them have been pretty rough. I added in tomato cages to help stabilize those plants, but the others are pretty dependent on a lack of strong winds to keep upright. The good thing is that we're seeing a ton of rain, and these plants are thirsty as hell. They're really just getting out of hand, and I'm hoping that the squash don't overrun everything else. If they do, I can till up some more rows and transplant them, but it would be risky at this stage. In past years it hasn't been a problem, everything just sort of grows together and it turns into a jungle, but I've never seen the squash grow this big this fast. All we've added to the ground was some lime, a little bit of phosphorous fertilizer and we've dusted the plants with pesticide when we noticed leaf damage. That's seemed to work so far, hopefully it continues to.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

Watering daily would be the first thing I'd try, then. Not too much, but maybe a bit more consistent moisture in the roots would help. Certainly worth a shot.

Ok, thanks. First time in this yard so it's all good, learning experience

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm growing tomatoes hydroponically are you telling me dankdood420 isn't being truthful when he says he is? No that can't be. I guess I'll take this opportunity to plug my hydroponic thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830 .

To be fair this trend is 100% less annoying than half of all gardening articles being on sites with "prepper" in their name.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does anyone have a good recipe that uses cherry tomatoes?

I planted two Sweet 100 plants and now I am drowning in cherry tomatoes. I am getting sick of pasta and salads.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Cherry tomatoes are great tossed among the other veggies with roasted meats and fish. I use em for lots of fish fillets en papillote. They're nice on kebab or as a fresh add in for bibimbap and other rice bowl style meals, and I like them better than bigger breeds for garnishes on stuff like tacos. Less weeping.

(Not gonna lie tho my favorite uses are in panzanella and as the main filling in homemade ravioli.)

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Toss in a food processor with salted butter and thyme. Freeze in small portions for an incredible summery steak topping all year.

Roast them at high heat with beets.

Pickling is pretty easy and green tomatoes pickle beautifully. Cherry tomato jelly is delicious too, and a good way to use poo poo-tons of overripe tomatoes you didn’t eat in time, plus you can just strain out all the skins and seeds after simmering.

Trade with coworkers for shift coverage. Trade with neighbors for pet-sitting. Trade with old ladies off nextdoor for their unused yarn stash.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I end up using a lot chopped up in stir fries or blended for curries.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Idk what’s up with my fabric pots but I can’t seem to dial in how to get poo poo to grow in them. I have some peppers going but they haven’t really grown at all since I transplanted them from starts months ago. Idk if it’s the heatwaves here in inland LA or if I’m not watering enough or what. They’ve been fertilized with liquid kelp and 1/4 dilution rate miracle gro every other week. Peppers in the ground are doing just fine aside from recovering from a tomato hornworm episode. I water every other day. If I wait three days the peppers’ leaves all get droopy. This is my first season using these style of pots so I have no idea what’s going on.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Hubis posted:

To be fair this trend is 100% less annoying than half of all gardening articles being on sites with "prepper" in their name.

Don't I know it. Trying to find advice on container gardening this year was all over the place, with prepper sites right up there with the weed growers in terms of the most pseudoscientific nonsense, terrible advice, and bizarre gadgets to buy. I was just trying to figure out a good fertilizer schedule for my various container vegetables and the amount of insanity I encountered was staggering. There was a level of ignorance of even basic gardening knowledge (do not trim the leaves off your plants, using fertilizer does not mean you are not "organic", etc). Strangely, YouTube had the best advice, but I wonder how much of that is self-selection because I would not click any video where their plants weren't thriving.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Idk what’s up with my fabric pots but I can’t seem to dial in how to get poo poo to grow in them. I have some peppers going but they haven’t really grown at all since I transplanted them from starts months ago. Idk if it’s the heatwaves here in inland LA or if I’m not watering enough or what. They’ve been fertilized with liquid kelp and 1/4 dilution rate miracle gro every other week. Peppers in the ground are doing just fine aside from recovering from a tomato hornworm episode. I water every other day. If I wait three days the peppers’ leaves all get droopy. This is my first season using these style of pots so I have no idea what’s going on.

With peppers, I doubt it's too little water. Could be the heat.. the roots are definitely going to be heating up more in an above-ground container than they will if they're in the ground. I can't really think of why they'd be doing worse in a fabric pot vs a regular pot though.

e: this reminds me to never buy black pots again. Too drat hot for black pots.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 5, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

vonnegutt posted:

There was a level of ignorance of even basic gardening knowledge (do not trim the leaves off your plants, using fertilizer does not mean you are not "organic", etc).

Nah man you gotta lollipop those tomatoes, get all those leaves off of there so the plant focuses all its energy on the fruit! Be sure to kick it in the nuts a few times as well, plants love that.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I currently have a couple raised beds and a herb spiral, I'm in 7b, northern hemisphere. I was thinking about just trying to plant in ground and building a hoop house for the winter. What's the best orientation for those? North to South or East to west?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Don't know where best to ask this but any idea what this is? It takes like an avocado and a cantaloupe had a baby and the outside looks like a partially ripe mango:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

RandomBlue posted:

Don't know where best to ask this but any idea what this is? It takes like an avocado and a cantaloupe had a baby and the outside looks like a partially ripe mango:

I don't eat alot of papaya, but kind of looks like a papaya to me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Papaya seeds are round and turn black by the time the fruit is ripe. It's just some kind of melon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

Underripe canary melon or santa claus melon, probably the latter

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Crakkerjakk posted:

I currently have a couple raised beds and a herb spiral, I'm in 7b, northern hemisphere. I was thinking about just trying to plant in ground and building a hoop house for the winter. What's the best orientation for those? North to South or East to west?

My hoop house is oriented north-south, the same as my regular raised beds. My thinking might be wrong here, but what I figured was that there's less inter-plant shading this way as the sun will hit both sides of the beds; you don't have a line of plants in the back of a bed in constant shade from the ones in front.

OTOH, if I was building a permanent greenhouse I'd put it east-west to take advantage of a solid heat-storing back wall. I might not have thought this out very well. It will be interesting to see what others think.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

My blueberries are dead but my tomatoes are out of loving control.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

I made this. :smugdog:

:barf: It looks really gross though. I don't know if I want to eat this. It's probably hard inside and all watery. By the way, this is supposed to be a garden gem tomato, but it's like the size of a cherry tomato. In b4 looks like a tit.

Discomedusae posted:

Posting to say I have really enjoyed following your upside-down piss plant journey.

Aw, thanks man! Unfortunately, my plants are wilty and dead looking right now and it doesn't look like I'll be getting a lot of good tomatoes this year. I've made up my mind to try again next year and use the winter to do some :airquote: research :airquote:. They survived so much, who knew they would all die just from a gallon of water all in one daymeasly little overwatering.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You might be able to cut the bottom off if you really wanted to eat it.

Also garden gems usually stay pretty small, maybe twice the size of a cherry tomato. So it's not that unusual in that respect.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Looks about as good as my tomatoes after the 40 days & 40 nights of rain we had. Or my watermelons which were looking fantastic before, but have now split open. Fortunately there's still plenty of other tomatoes growing...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I had a handful of Beauty beefsteak tomatoes with that same problem. It probably didn't help that I went away for 10 days in early July and by the time I go back they had overgrown the trellis and were falling all over each other. Now the problem is the vines are pushing on the fruit and bruising things. So I'll eat what I get if any turn out. The cherry tomatoes didn't mind, but I need a better set of supports.

The peppers haven't cared one bit about my interference in the least. I have a bunch of cayenne, hot Portugal, and orange habanero all ripening. I don't know if the Carolina Reaper or Caribbean Hot Peppers will finish before frost, so I may try to move them inside. Worst thing that happens is I still don't get any of them. Carrots didn't mind either and are starting to come out. Definitely making some different choices about where I plant things next year and probably putting in a third raised bed.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Um, could I get some help identifying some things?

1. These are ladybugs right? I'm pretty sure they are and they sit all over my unripe tomatoes, but they don't really look like larvae or any ladybug pictures I can find on the internet. Although I've found some black and yellow ladybugs that look similar.

2. Also there's this lone bumble bee that exclusively feeds off of this purple fuzzy flower. Does anyone know what this is? I think I want to plant more of this next year.

Bee.

More bee, but you can see the plant's leaves now. It's a little blurry though...

3. What's this plant? No particular reason. I just think it looks pretty.

Thanks!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think those are "true bug" nymphs. Stinkbugs or something similar

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

The size of this lad.....absolute unit

(yes I know you're meant to harvest them a lot sooner than this)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
My cucumber plants are finally growing rapidly (one vine in particular shot up so fast that I needed to expand my bamboo supports twice in the past two weeks) and the fruit they're growing looks great (some nearly doubled in size over the past 2 days), but there are still a lot of blossoms falling off. I expected this in previous weeks when it was cloudy, but the weather's actually been nice for once.

Is it worth giving hand pollination a shot? I don't see many bees around

EDIT: Apparently I'm a dumbass who can't tell the difference between make and female flowers. Is it common for there to be more male than female?

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 9, 2018

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Cory Parsnipson posted:

2. Also there's this lone bumble bee that exclusively feeds off of this purple fuzzy flower. Does anyone know what this is? I think I want to plant more of this next year.

Bee.

More bee, but you can see the plant's leaves now. It's a little blurry though...

Hmm, some variety of Bee Balm?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think those are "true bug" nymphs. Stinkbugs or something similar

Bingo. :( I've seen a couple ladybugs and a whole bunch of these, thinking they were some larval stage, but no it turns out they're "southern green stink bug" nymphs.

They look exactly like this. Apparently, these are a tomato pest, although the good news is that they don't really damage the plant that much. The internet says they leave these small white pinpricks at the top of the fruit that is simply minor cosmetic damage, although it reduces the quality slightly and may cause faster spoilage.

I can see it all over my tomato. It looks like neem oil or kaolin clay would work as a pesticide against them. This page I found about kaolin clay seems promising. It's supposed to irritate stink bugs and aphids while not repelling ladybugs or bees. It goes on in a spray like diatomaceous earth, but the article says you need to wash the fruit before you eat it if you spray it with clay.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/kaolin-clay-insect-control.htm

Hubis posted:

Hmm, some variety of Bee Balm?

That's really close but slightly different. The leaves are different. The flowers on this plant are thistle-like, all fuzzy and globular.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Slanderer posted:

EDIT: Apparently I'm a dumbass who can't tell the difference between make and female flowers. Is it common for there to be more male than female?

Oh yeah; especially when squash first start flowering, they're all male. It ensures pollen is ready before fruit is ready to be pollinated.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Bingo. :( I've seen a couple ladybugs and a whole bunch of these, thinking they were some larval stage, but no it turns out they're "southern green stink bug" nymphs.

It depends on how bad of an infestation you have, but you might be able to just pick most of them off by hand. They all hatch at once and take some time to spread out. Your photo makes it look like they're all still clustered together.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
You can get them off by forceful application of sterile liquid - some people use spray bottles focused to a stream, but maybe you can find a different approach

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I got attacked by these things called bagrada bugs one year that kind of looked like that. They attacked my cole crops like mad, like blacked out the leaves mad. Apparently they're like a plague when they hit, i had to resort to gently caress the earth pesticides to even remotely gain control of them, and even then, it took like 3 applications of Sevin to eradicate them.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74166.html

Hubis
May 18, 2003

awesmoe posted:

You can get them off by forceful application of sterile liquid - some people use spray bottles focused to a stream, but maybe you can find a different approach
Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Ah ok that makes sense. The infestation is very light and on like two clusters of tomatoes. I tried spraying them with a concentrated stream of water but they just scatter.

There's probably only like 10 of them so I can just flick them off by hand. Saves me a few bucks.

I might revisit kaolin clay if I manage to keep everything bushy and alive next year.

E. Thank God they're not bagrada bugs. They do look similar but I don't think these bugs have done any substantial damage to the leaves.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Shame Boner posted:

Oh yeah; especially when squash first start flowering, they're all male. It ensures pollen is ready before fruit is ready to be pollinated.

Good to know, thanks!!

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Bee.

3. What's this plant? No particular reason. I just think it looks pretty.

Thanks!

The top plant is Phacelia Tanacetifolia, often planted as a green manure. Bees go mad for it! Don't know about the second one. Kind of looks a bit like Heliotrope. Do the flowers smell amazing, like a cake? If they don't. it ain't.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
How close do I have to be to smell them? I was a few feet away and didn't notice any smell. Thanks for the id on the other plant!

e.

:derp: A TOMATO WAS EATEN :derp:

I cut off the rotten part and the rest seemed like a perfectly good tomato. It tasted mostly like a normal heirloom or cherry tomato, but had a really strong and unique aftertaste. It felt like if you made a syrup by boiling down a lot of tomatoes down and adding some sugar. I need to try more of these to see if I just imagined it...

Also, I went back and bent down and smelled the gently caress out of this plant, but it still does not smell like cake. Here's a better picture:

Ee.

Vvvv :eyepop: it is! Thank you!

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 13, 2018

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
Oh, closer up, that looks like Sea Lavender (Limonium perezii)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Green-fingered goons, help me please.

I haven't grown anything since cress on cotton wool at school. Now, for the first time, I have a patch of earth to call my own and although it's nothing like the spectacular gardens in this thread, I want it to be fruitful. And veg-ful.

What I haven't got is money or any real idea of what I'm doing. It's a south-facing garden consisting almost entirely of rubble that would get a lot more sun if the neighbours weren't trying to reach heaven with their trees. There is a tiny raised bed but the bulk of the growing will need to be done in a 6ft x 6ft greenhouse.

I don't yet have the greenhouse. Do they ever get reduced in price? If I hang on a month or two will they start to go on clearance, or should I just bite the bullet and get one as soon as I've levelled off the ground?

My plans at the moment are to use the raised bed for the Three Sisters: sweetcorn, runner beans and butternut squash. There are a couple of rhubarb plants already established that I'll keep. The greenhouse would be for containers of onions, potatoes, salad leaves, tomatoes and potentially aubergine (eggplant). Is this too ambitious? Seeds and bulbs were half-price so I picked up a few packets of things I like and decided to worry about the details later. There are only two of us so the yields don't have to be enormous to keep us going.

Can I grow stuff, or is this going to be nothing more than a pricey pile of slug food and withered dreams?