Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's pretty sad that Goten and Trunks get shown but Gohan doesn't.

He really is the Saiyan Yamcha.
lol Gohan sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
The best way to beat Broly at this point is to introduce him to a strong independent rich woman for him to marry. It's kinda the way Saiyans roll.

Also looking forward to another Sunday BBQ at Bulma's with the Grillmaster Piccolo keeping the squad happy with his divine cuisine.

Crabtree posted:

Goten I understand as its a way to easily market a Kid Goku without deaging Goku or this taking place in the past - even though he is no where as engaging or personable as a real Goku.

But Trunks was introduced and is more popular as a young adult than his child form. Hell, the kids that grew up along with them in this universe are in their late 20s to 30s at this point. But I guess Toei is scared of actually committing to aging up their second generation at this point because, well none of the third are boys. And that's their great big sexist fear I guess, can't have a young boy to market to boys? Even though you could easily rectify that by just making up a little brother for Pan or bring up Uub?

Uub and Pan growing up together would be great. Even better if Uub turns out to be 17's adopted kid.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

snickothemule posted:

The best way to beat Broly at this point is to introduce him to a strong independent rich woman for him to marry. It's kinda the way Saiyans roll.

Hey! Mai isn't... rich.

Man, Saiyans really do have a type, don't they?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well except for Bardock apparently.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bardock was an aberration and deserves to be lost to time

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
low class warriors don't get to be picky

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Bardock found one of the only members of his species capable of feeling any sort of affection, he won his own kind of jackpot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The stronger the Saiyan, the more rich the woman has to be at the time of their engagement. So you gotta have someone richer than Bulma at this point to trick the Saiyan's shared fetish at this rate. Or Broly's really weird and he goes for green girl because she's poor and Vegeta just flips out.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I mean, Chichi is formerly rich and didnt have any wealth when she met Goku

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meme Emulator posted:

I mean, Chichi is formerly rich and didnt have any wealth when she met Goku

she was a princess. Even though the Ox King couldn't get into his castle at the time, I think that still counts.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Goku was also slightly stronger than the average Frieza grunt at that point

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It makes sense that sayians would be genetically predisposed to rich woman. It means they can mooch off their wives while they train all day.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the Nappa and Vegeta on bug planet episode is kind of a dud. It doesn't help establish them as powerful because the bug people are weak. Most of them can't even do energy blasts, of course the bad guys can beat them easily. And Nappa defeating the giant bug monster is undercut by Gohan clowning on an equally large t-Rex monster that same episode. I guess this is the filler you guys warned me about.

But it did have Lunch murdering some cops and Gohan slowly eating a T-rex while it's still alive, so it wasn't a complete wash.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Goodbody posted:

the Nappa and Vegeta on bug planet episode is kind of a dud. It doesn't help establish them as powerful because the bug people are weak. Most of them can't even do energy blasts, of course the bad guys can beat them easily. And Nappa defeating the giant bug monster is undercut by Gohan clowning on an equally large t-Rex monster that same episode. I guess this is the filler you guys warned me about.

But it did have Lunch murdering some cops and Gohan slowly eating a T-rex while it's still alive, so it wasn't a complete wash.

It's more to show that they're massive loving assholes who will completely obliterate a planet out of boredom though

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Calaveron posted:

It's more to show that they're massive loving assholes who will completely obliterate a planet out of boredom though

It also kind of fucks with the power levels though. Vegeta casually fires a finger beam that blows up a planet, while on earth he takes a large amount of time charging up his galick gun to destroy the earth.

I mean its dragon ball, this poo poo's never consistent, but it is annoying.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it wasn't a great episode. But I am excited to see when he repaints his armor and stops dying his hair.

also grows a foot taller.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

It also kind of fucks with the power levels though. Vegeta casually fires a finger beam that blows up a planet, while on earth he takes a large amount of time charging up his galick gun to destroy the earth.

I mean its dragon ball, this poo poo's never consistent, but it is annoying.

Maybe arlia was smaller than earth? Or maybe due to vaguarities of Ki blasts, you need to use a bigger beam when you are closer to the surface.

The most obvious reason is that there is a Goku in the way. Vegeta didn't shoot at the planet, he shot at Goku. The fact that it would vaporize the planet even if it didn't kill him was insurance.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I think Vegeta was bluffing, and couldn't really have blown up the Earth with that Galick Gun. He probably believed he could though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I guess he could have caused a meteor impact-level event and that still would have been pretty bad. Makes more sense if Frieza was the first enemy to be able to actually blow up a planet entirely given that was kind of his thing.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Yeah Vegeta blowing up a planet with a finger can't even really be explained in universe which is why a bunch of us said to avoid original dbz cuz of weird filler inconsistencies like that

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I mean yeah I guess you could argue it was a smaller planet but that's such a huuuuuge reach

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if master roshi could blow up the moon in the very first tournament no problem, vegeta could absolutely have blown up the earth

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
The moon is obviously a lot smaller and less dense though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

if master roshi could blow up the moon in the very first tournament no problem, vegeta could absolutely have blown up the earth

I'm of the opinion that it basically works like this

Roshi, at MAX power, was strong enough to blow up the moon- but he was also probably stronger than Raditz. Or at least AS strong. Roshi at Max, back in the day, couldn't fight- he was pretty much just good for one Kamehameha and that's it. His body couldn't keep up with his own power.

Later on he fixed that but that was as of Super

Vegeta could destroy a planet, or at least wreck it super hard, but it'd take all of his strength to do so with significant charge up time. We see this explicitly with how he tried to blow up the Earth.

Freeza would be the first enemy that could casually blow up a planet, if given the right shot. He screwed up with Namek but it still didn't take him a fraction of the effort that it did for Vegets to try.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Those were insect creatures though, maybe they'd burrowed in and hollowed out the planet like giant ants, so it was porous and easier to break.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe Toriyama didn't give a poo poo and we're all thinking about this way too hard

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Or Vegeta was perfectly capable of destroying the Earth but he was just throwing a tantrum and decided to do the whole circus just to spite Goku.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

multijoe posted:

Maybe Toriyama didn't give a poo poo and we're all thinking about this way too hard

Sometimes it's fun to speculate on this stupid poo poo otherwise you may as well close the thread

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Freeza would be the first enemy that could casually blow up a planet, if given the right shot. He screwed up with Namek but it still didn't take him a fraction of the effort that it did for Vegets to try.

It's important to remember that Freeza failed to destroy Namek because he got too scared about getting caught up in the explosion. He could've totally done it, and in less than five endless minutes at that, if he wasn't a little bitch.

Since Freeza has character development, he fixed that one by Resurrection "F". And indeed, ended up killing himself alongside the planet, so his fears were pretty logical after all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

g0lbez posted:

Sometimes it's fun to speculate on this stupid poo poo otherwise you may as well close the thread

If we're going to speculate on stupid poo poo then I put forward Lunch was the first Super Human. Evidence?

- Blond-haired form which gave her super strength
- 'Villain' eyes signifying malicious intent in her normally pure heart
- Transformation caused by (nose) tingles

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

multijoe posted:

If we're going to speculate on stupid poo poo then I put forward Lunch was the first Super Human. Evidence?

- Blond-haired form which gave her super strength
- 'Villain' eyes signifying malicious intent in her normally pure heart
- Transformation caused by (nose) tingles

Krillin can never achieve this form, he has no nose for tingles

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to counter and be like that joke already been done. But then you mentioned the tingle. So that caught a chuckle. I guess Tori didn’t forget about her :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since Freeza has character development, he fixed that one by Resurrection "F". And indeed, ended up killing himself alongside the planet, so his fears were pretty logical after all.

nah Whis says that frieza survived the blast. Blowing up the planet is the smartest thing frieza ever did.

Really frieza was a dope for not just going towards earth, firing a death ball at it and then leaving.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Monaghan posted:

nah Whis says that frieza survived the blast. Blowing up the planet is the smartest thing frieza ever did.

Really frieza was a dope for not just going towards earth, firing a death ball at it and then leaving.

That is so not Frieza though, he revels in death and absolutely wants to see people suffer up close

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's important to remember that Freeza failed to destroy Namek because he got too scared about getting caught up in the explosion. He could've totally done it, and in less than five endless minutes at that, if he wasn't a little bitch.

He very specifically survived Earth exploding though. They even have a little moment about how he killed everyone yet was still alive.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

g0lbez posted:

That is so not Frieza though, he revels in death and absolutely wants to see people suffer up close

Oh I know that! It's a huge character flaw of his and I love him for it. I'm just saying what the logical thing for him to do would be, but given that he's frieza, he'd never do it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Burkion posted:

Roshi, at MAX power, was strong enough to blow up the moon- but he was also probably stronger than Raditz. Or at least AS strong. Roshi at Max, back in the day, couldn't fight- he was pretty much just good for one Kamehameha and that's it. His body couldn't keep up with his own power.

I love this theory so much because Roshi has always been one of my favorites. Dude was just insanely strong but never really needed all of that strength once Piccolo Daimao was sealed away and subsequently got weak in his old age, but could still pull out the big guns when he needed to.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Burkion posted:

Vegeta could destroy a planet, or at least wreck it super hard, but it'd take all of his strength to do so with significant charge up time. We see this explicitly with how he tried to blow up the Earth.

That would make sense, if Max Power Roshi was like Bulky Super Saiyan but worse. It's telling the only two things he hits with his Kamehameha before Super is a mountain and the Moon. He'd be toast against anyone who can dodge or counterattack.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So if Saiyans are genetically predisposed to rich girls, does that mean the Saiyan Race was technically married to Frieza instead of working for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Crabtree posted:

So if Saiyans are genetically predisposed to rich girls, does that mean the Saiyan Race was technically married to Frieza instead of working for him?

Well you never saw a Queen Vegeta, did you?