Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Overwatch is so weird to me because while it’s got a fair amount of lore, it’s essentially a separate entity to the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is the lore? Let's dress in cosplay and shoot each other?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

They're various agents that protect the world or try and destroy it I guess. It's nothing compelling. It's like the story of Street Fighter, no one really gives a poo poo.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The leaks about overwatch seem to suggest they're doing actual sets and not just brickheads or constraction things.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So overwatch is the next Minecraft then? Glad I am not into either of these.

But I thought Lego doesn't do violence or weapons? Ah well who am I kidding, they lost their way a long time ago.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

NickThorn posted:

I have expanded my bootlego horror collection to include MOCs of obscure horror characters. Here are my Halloween III Brick or Treaters

Great! Now I can't get that song out of my head.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Hopper posted:

So overwatch is the next Minecraft then? Glad I am not into either of these.

But I thought Lego doesn't do violence or weapons? Ah well who am I kidding, they lost their way a long time ago.

They don't do modern warfare. Anything else is fair game.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

s.i.r.e. posted:

They're various agents that protect the world or try and destroy it I guess. It's nothing compelling. It's like the story of Street Fighter, no one really gives a poo poo.

Holy poo poo dude you have no idea how wrong you are
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/722788-ultra-street-fighter-iv/faqs/69921

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dr. Benway posted:

:same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-uC0LDllM

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Dr. Benway posted:

That was an unintended side effect. Many apologies.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

The thing to know with Overwatch lore is the game itself isn't canon. There's a story about robot uprising,s a global superhero network collapsing from scandals and betrayals, and the talking gorilla from the moon trying to get the band back together, but the events of the game have no relation to it at all.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

NickThorn posted:

That was an unintended side effect. Many apologies.

I can't remember if this thread is kosher with bootleg links, but where did you pick this stuff up? The Monster Fighters, Scooby Doo, & CMF series were some of my favorite releases in the last few years & I wouldn't mind adding a few "party goers" to my Haunted Mansion Monster Bash.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress yeah, I was checking walmart for something and saw they had their occasional clearance aisle, in which sat a really jacked up Quake Mech box that it looks like someone punched super hard. The bags were hanging out, but I had an employee assist me to open it to make sure everything was there, and all 8 bags, instructions and giant tire were there. The box had a double clearance tag down to 45 bucks likely due to the damaged box, I had been planning to grab one when it got cheaper but this was too good an opportunity to pass up! Super psyched for it

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
$45 is how much many Target and Walmart stores have those mechs discounted down to at the moment. You got lucky finding a store with that markdown and any stock left. Nice find.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, sure, I'll take it. Was planning on keeping it anyway.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Holy gently caress I am so glad to be done with this build

We bought a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo a few months back for a cheap second car. It seemed like as decent a thing as any to build, so I started on a design. I scrapped it and started again. I finalized a design, except it was still bad, so I gutted half of it. And then I finalized THAT design, ordered the parts, built it, and didn't like it, so I re-did it yet again. I think this is finally it at version 3.77, and I'm definitely tired of working on it (but pretty pleased with the result), so I hope you dig it.

Also: it has 265 pieces, 117 of which are attached sideways or upside-down!

edit: This is the MOC that I wanted that gray piece for, for the tailpipe. There's a black one for now and I'll swap it out once it's here.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That owns! I always wanted to build something like my old FJ60 Land Cruiser in Lego, and that looks really close shape-wise.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Carbohydrates posted:

What do you use for the nice and uniform white background?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

What do you use for the nice and uniform white background?

Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shoot...L70_&dpSrc=srch

And lots of light. :v:

You can see a bit of texture of the mat he's using in the shadows under the Jeep. You overexpose a bit and you get a nice even background except in the shadows.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wow, nice work.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

xzzy posted:

Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shoot...L70_&dpSrc=srch

And lots of light. :v:

You can see a bit of texture of the mat he's using in the shadows under the Jeep. You overexpose a bit and you get a nice even background except in the shadows.

Doesn't work as well a purpose made thing I guess, but the budget approach is just a single longish sheet of paper. Hang on something above where the top of the shot will be and have it gently bend so there's no visible crease.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Koramei posted:

Doesn't work as well a purpose made thing I guess, but the budget approach is just a single longish sheet of paper. Hang on something above where the top of the shot will be and have it gently bend so there's no visible crease.
Yup! I'm just using a large piece of white poster board that cost, like, a buck, gently curving upward at the back. For lighting, I have a 6500k light bounced off the ceiling. These photos are not very edited, but it cleans up really nice if I put a bit more effort in. I just wanted some quick shots today.

edit: while I'm talking about this car I also want to highlight how annoying it was getting the pieces to build it. The curved pieces used for the hood and roof only ever came in light gray in 3 sets in 2012-2013, and no more than 2 per set. I used two of these technic plates for SNOT connections, which are becoming somewhat uncommon because they haven't been in any sets since 2004 but are tremendously useful for compact inverted building. It uses 4 of these new inverted brackets, which only JUST came out - like, a week or two ago - in a few expensive sets. The rear window only came in trans-black in exactly 1 lovely set back in 2002. And then a lot of the other pieces are new as of 2017 to 2018 as well and so aren't necessarily rare, but aren't really in circulation much. My point is it took five bricklink orders to make this thing.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 11, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Koramei posted:

You can also make a budget lightbox out of a cardboard box and white fabric.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Carbohydrates posted:

considering i recognized my old car immediately i think you did a good job

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

considering i recognized my old car immediately i think you did a good job

Now do a 96 Saturn Sedan next please.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tenebrais posted:

The thing to know with Overwatch lore is the game itself isn't canon. There's a story about robot uprising,s a global superhero network collapsing from scandals and betrayals, and the talking gorilla from the moon trying to get the band back together, but the events of the game have no relation to it at all.

And here I thought they were trying to copy TF2.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Dr. Benway posted:

I can't remember if this thread is kosher with bootleg links, but where did you pick this stuff up? The Monster Fighters, Scooby Doo, & CMF series were some of my favorite releases in the last few years & I wouldn't mind adding a few "party goers" to my Haunted Mansion Monster Bash.

I picked up all my stuff from aliexpress.com. Most of the figures I buy are stuff Lego would never touch such as Freddy Krueger, Leatherface, etc. so it takes the sting out of having heretical product on the same shelf. Though, I fully admit to purchasing Lepin modulars of the Ghostbusters Firehouse and Haunted House as the originals are now entirely too expensive for me to justify skipping a car payment for. I make up for my shame by passing down my older lego sets to my friend's kids since I have little use for police stations and firetrucks on my Lego Nightmare Hellscape shelves.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I’ve got my Red Five’s X-Wing (10240) and by B-Wing (10227) taken apart and ready to go. Figured I’d offer ‘em up here before going to EBay or whatever. Anyone interested? $200 each, shipping (in the US) included.

Also please tell me if this isn’t kosher :shobon:

E: per advice below, they are complete with instructions and everything, just no original box.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 11, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got em both already, but that's a good deal for either of those.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 11, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mynnna posted:

I’ve got my Red Five’s X-Wing (10240) and by B-Wing (10227) taken apart and ready to go. Figured I’d offer ‘em up here before going to EBay or whatever. Anyone interested? $200 each, shipping (in the US) included.

You might want to mention whether original instructions are included as that is part of the value of a complete set. And for those two, do you have the placard?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mynnna posted:

Sent a PM about Red-5.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate spring loaded missiles aesthetically, but I gotta respect when Lego manages to completely hide them. Launched one into my eye while dusting my A-Wing because I forgot it even had them in it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Actual photo of Veni Veni Veni:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QF6vp9XjNx0/ULxumZE9B8I/AAAAAAAAArY/3g8FgSkVvrk/s1600/lego_warning.jpg

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Just came across this...

What the building instructions for the Millennium Falcon would have looked like in 1960s:

The joke is based on these (real) instructions for the set 320 from 1965 (first page shown):

I'm not sure if that's true, but from what I've read, basically, since the instructions were drawn by hand back then, it was too expensive to have too many steps. Whereas today, you can pretty much have one piece per step (and some sets certainly do at least in part). That's also why you (almost) never had any different angles or anything like that.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

I like the design of that old guide, every piece added is visible in each step and and it's more puzzle like to notice the differences.
Steps with one piece are like all the molded animal heads and over detailed stickers in adding to much resolution to their toys and kinda zapping creative thought out of it. It would be cool to have instructions like those for modern sets, design it efficiently enough and it could fit on a single page in the back of the regular one.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I appreciate that the old instructions handled more pieces per step but without the "here's the pieces you'll need" box it's a hassle. Just going through my old castles and such it was incredibly easy to miss pieces or put them in the wrong spot and not realize it until many steps later. Or a couple times I would have leftover pieces and had to go back through to figure out where they went.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 11, 2018

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
So after a taking like a year of sorting and building a bunch of bulk buys including this great find https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&pagenumber=856&perpage=40#post472566041 I sold off almost everything I wasn't keeping. I really had to be realistic about what I was going to actually be able to display and what I would keep in storage. I was ruthless and even cleared our almost 60lbs of spare parts. Overall I probably made $1500 or so in profit but it was time and space intensive. I figured I was done since I was never going to find a deal like that $50 haul again and I couldn't bring myself to spend a couple hundred bucks for an overpriced Craigslist box of pieces.

But...I kept looking just in case. Recently I saw this post and recognized the AT-AT leg.

Even though it was on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, for only $30 I could afford the toll and drove into work that day to grab it. Looked like a good haul at first.

Kept the AT-AT, another Snowspeeder (which brings me to 7) more Hoth guys and a turret set and a bunch of minifigs. Sold off all the rest for $100. The only problem I have is the lack of space, I just cleaned and rearranged things a few months ago and need to take another run at it again.

Veni, I'm jealous of your layout.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I still don't have the Lego Travelogue (travelegogue?) finished (the saga of three minifigures who go to Yellowstone Park, as told in photographs of them there), but today, courtesy of my husband, I present the short story, "Neither Nexo Knights Nor Elves Like Tyco Construction Toys"

(Or, at least, Macy doesn't and neither does Azari Fire-Elf's dragon friend.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tomapot posted:

So after a taking like a year of sorting and building a bunch of bulk buys including this great find https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&pagenumber=856&perpage=40#post472566041 I sold off almost everything I wasn't keeping. I really had to be realistic about what I was going to actually be able to display and what I would keep in storage. I was ruthless and even cleared our almost 60lbs of spare parts. Overall I probably made $1500 or so in profit but it was time and space intensive. I figured I was done since I was never going to find a deal like that $50 haul again and I couldn't bring myself to spend a couple hundred bucks for an overpriced Craigslist box of pieces.

But...I kept looking just in case. Recently I saw this post and recognized the AT-AT leg.

Even though it was on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, for only $30 I could afford the toll and drove into work that day to grab it. Looked like a good haul at first.

Kept the AT-AT, another Snowspeeder (which brings me to 7) more Hoth guys and a turret set and a bunch of minifigs. Sold off all the rest for $100. The only problem I have is the lack of space, I just cleaned and rearranged things a few months ago and need to take another run at it again.

Veni, I'm jealous of your layout.

drat that's awesome. You know how to find some deals. I keep trying to find stuff like that, but everyone here on Craigslist thinks their buckets of unsorted lego are made of gold.

I actually found a crazy deal on Facebook a while back. Somebody selling a bunch of pricey built sets for dirt cheap. The only one I was able to snag in time was an extra OT X wing and poe's tie for $20 each. But they had the Ewok Village for like $50 and an AT-AT with a few other sets for like $30. Didn't get there in time for those though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anyone have an extra Dobby CMF? I'd like to buy or trade for one.