Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I figured that out shortly after I got back into my ship :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I found a fairly pleasant, resource-rich jungle world with a nice color palette. Occasional boiling rain but I've only ever found one jungle world that didn't. Better yet, it has lots of floating islands with perfectly flat surfaces. In other words, excellent base locations!

After I start putting together a base, I think to myself "what if my dumb rear end falls off this floating island while my ship is still up there?". So I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon building the ladder from MGS3 so the base has ground access. I don't recommend the construction process of free-floating, glass-bottomed metal floors if you have vertigo issues.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 13, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The circular rooms feel rather claustrophobic. Are there larger pre-fabs in the blueprint list somewhere or am I left to built things piecemeal?

In related news, if anyone hasn't figured it out themselves, stuff doesn't require being "inside" to be built. You need a roof over your head to get shelter from storms, but if you wand an open-air garden you just need to drop a floor tile to put the garden bed on.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 13, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bruceski posted:

The circular rooms feel rather claustrophobic. Are there larger pre-fabs in the blueprint list somewhere or am I left to built things piecemeal?

In related news, if anyone hasn't figured it out themselves, stuff doesn't require being "inside" to be built. You need a roof over your head to get shelter from storms, but if you wand an open-air garden you just need to drop a floor tile to put the garden bed on.

There’s square prefabs. You need to salvage enough poo poo so you can buy enough blueprints for them to show up.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What’s so bad about boltcaster ricochet?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ultimate Mango posted:

What’s so bad about boltcaster ricochet?

It bounces off armor plating apparently.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of base building, is there a realistic way to combine rooms on multiple floors without needing to use exterior stairs or a huge connecting chamber out of wall panels?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a ladder?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The ladder kind of refuses to connect nicely to a lot of things, but i can play around with it more.

I guess what I mean is, I kind of wish there were interior room objects specifically for going between floors since building a cuboid room with a ladder in it to connect large rooms together doesn't look as nice.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Thundarr posted:

The ladder kind of refuses to connect nicely to a lot of things, but i can play around with it more.

I guess what I mean is, I kind of wish there were interior room objects specifically for going between floors since building a cuboid room with a ladder in it to connect large rooms together doesn't look as nice.

There are some people who have made some crazy good looking bases and there's no way they're not sharing info on how to do it. I remember finding a YouTube video about how to make the base from the initial base building trailer so I would say scope out some tutorials, from what I can remember a lot of the good bases are using pieces in pretty unconventional ways

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of bases. I wrapped up a bunch of the base building quest line and now that I have all technicians in one base I can now start working on a proper home base in the best planet I've found.

It won't be anything crazy. A couple of prefab rooms with a ton of decorations, healt/shield/economy terminals, and of course the portal. If I can figure out how to place storage containers underground without making a mess I'll set up a vault nearby. There's a nice beach not too far where I plan to build a nice cabin by the water. From here I can jump to anywhere and the weather and sentinels are super nice so I'm set for now.

I pretty much shamelessly copies this front layout I saw forever ago on Reddit:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Double post because holy poo poo not only you can build bases underwater (we knew this) turns our you can build a landing pad underwater and actually land on it or summon your ship to it / launch from it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That underwater base is rad as hell, and i keep forgetting I can change the color of rooms as they are placed.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It won't be anything crazy. A couple of prefab rooms with a ton of decorations, healt/shield/economy terminals, and of course the portal. If I can figure out how to place storage containers underground without making a mess I'll set up a vault nearby.

The way that works best for me to create an underground fault is to start with a large room built partially into the side of a hill (you can level out a bit of the front with flooring panels), one straight hallway into the hill from the back of the room, and then you can use intersections branching out from there to attach storage rooms to. They have to be at least one space separated from the main room though, or it won't let you place them.

Also, rolling hills work way better than mountains. With mountains you're likely to run into granite that room objects can't excavate before you get all your storage crates set up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

quote is not edit, again

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Krogort posted:

They made like 50 millions $ in sale, they can recruit a bunch of dudes to code some halfway decent ground combat.

Actually they made 43m in 2016 alone.

Oh god did I time warp back to the 2013 Star Citizen thread?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apollo wants me to go on a mission and says I might not be coming home for a while. How long is a while.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Like, 5 minutes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ok is it just me or is the Walker’s hitbox design terribly broken? It seems like the head will not register a single hitpoint of damage until the legs are destroyed first

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Ok is it just me or is the Walker’s hitbox design terribly broken? It seems like the head will not register a single hitpoint of damage until the legs are destroyed first

Basically the walker has 5 "weak points" you have to destroy before you can start killing it proper. 2 shin guards, 2 thigh pads, and the helmet atop the head. Once you pop those 5 things it'll stomp a bit and shoot blue stuff into the air, then its attack pattern changes to a slow-ish barrage of laser bullets. That's when the weak point eye becomes a thing to aim for. And no, it's not a quick kill.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Apollo wants me to go on a mission and says I might not be coming home for a while. How long is a while.

I actually had a bit of a problem with this one. Like stripped down and left for dead in Mexico sort of problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Not sure how it expected me to dig up that relic with all the keys floating hundreds of feet in the air.

The loneliest ruin.

Planet of the Stereotypical Desert Islands. Sadly not so orange from the ground.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Huzzah - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/no-more-bullet-bounce/

Removes the richochet and bounce properties. Hell yeah.

A friend of mine tried MP last night and came across a really weird system. It had a "malfunctioning moon" where I made a base (and forgot to take screenshots), chromatic fog planet and 3 other very odd ones. I did remember to get a picture of this thing on the fog world, diablo like demon flying along on tiny butterfly wings:

Another planet, there was a sentinel stuck under the terrain somehow constantly calling in reinforcements. That was fun for 10 minutes maybe but he'd rolled a new char and wanted to get going. I dug the thing out using the terrain mod and the world exploded with sentinels, walkers, dogs and cans everywhere. He died, I jumped in my ship and fly away. We ended up having to save/reload to stop the mess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

You can punch rocks for ferrite dust

:stare:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m guessing 1.5 really messed this planet up

(Portal address is all sunsets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsbMVT_Da4

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just used a portal for the very first time, confused about some things now. I only have 1 glyph so I just used that one, it sent me to some planet.

On that planet, there were orbs which are other players. This is the first time I've seen these orbs. Does this mean that this particular planet is the endpoint of the same address I entered or did these players get there by other glyph combinations?

I couldn't use the galaxy map, I could only use the portal to get back and the system had no space station. Does this mean that every portal endpoint are systems that can't be reached in any other way?

Also, that planet hadn't been 'discovered' and named yet, which seems very unlikely? There were about 4 orbs there and I assume they weren't the first people there.

So, what is the point of this? I'm guessing this will become clear if I continue the main missions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of 1.55, on PS4 it's now easier (but different) to do a "super melee boost". Previously it was sketchy and the most reliable way was to hit melee and then boost as quickly as possible, now it's a more relaxed timing.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I've had so many glitches and bugs since the last update (on the PS4). Most of them are just annoying, rather than being game breaking, but I've had more crashes as well.

I still can't stop playing it though.

e: The weirdest ones all involve those big storage cubes. It's 50/50 at any given time whether or not they'll let me get my item back. Sometimes they do, sometimes they tell me my inventory is full, sometimes I get the item but it duplicates a random item from my inventory into storage instead. I have no idea what's up with that and haven't been able to replicate any kind of consistant behaivour.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 13, 2018

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Am I missing something with growing plants in your base, or is it just extremely lovely? Just about every plant doesn't bloom or whatever before the pot runs out of carbon meaning you can't just set it and forget it before it blooms once.

I found the 24 slot multitool on my home planet, it wasn't an S-rank multitool, was A-rank, but whatever. Glad I found it.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

I’m guessing 1.5 really messed this planet up

(Portal address is all sunsets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsbMVT_Da4

How do people do this and not drop even one space sphere quote?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Someone joined my game last night, and built a base computer on the other side of my planet, so I go to investigate, and where he landed there's Metal Fingers everywhere. Nothing like that at all in my region! :mad:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Someone joined my game last night, and built a base computer on the other side of my planet, so I go to investigate, and where he landed there's Metal Fingers everywhere. Nothing like that at all in my region! :mad:

Random internet stranger is a better explorer than you seems to be the take away here. Turn off network play, destroy his base and put yours there.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

He may be using one of those differently funny mods that are actually cheats :shrug:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp, turns out you stack large buildings on top of each other first and *then* it lets you use ladders to connect them. :downs:

It's also a good thing I already built the MGS3 ladder since either due to where I placed the base computer or just a game geometry thing, if I teleport to the floating island base my ship appears on the surface a couple hundred feet below me.

I've heard the all-sunsets planet with the message orbs is only 5000 LY from the center, but if you use the portal to get there doesn't that prevent you from using the galaxy map so it doesn't work as a shortcut?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

froody guy posted:

He may be using one of those differently funny mods that are actually cheats :shrug:

I'm on PS4, so he would have been too. No crossplay for you!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thundarr posted:

Welp, turns out you stack large buildings on top of each other first and *then* it lets you use ladders to connect them. :downs:

It's also a good thing I already built the MGS3 ladder since either due to where I placed the base computer or just a game geometry thing, if I teleport to the floating island base my ship appears on the surface a couple hundred feet below me.

I've heard the all-sunsets planet with the message orbs is only 5000 LY from the center, but if you use the portal to get there doesn't that prevent you from using the galaxy map so it doesn't work as a shortcut?

Plop a base computer down while you’re there then teleport to it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

katkillad2 posted:

Am I missing something with growing plants in your base, or is it just extremely lovely? Just about every plant doesn't bloom or whatever before the pot runs out of carbon meaning you can't just set it and forget it before it blooms once.
I’m 99% sure you don’t have to “fuel” the hydroponics tanks. You can to make things grow faster, but it’s not necessary (before this patch, at least).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Grow times are apparently extremely long after the new patch, which was done to "balance" the fact that they now grow whether you play or not. Dunno if there is a chart with the updated grow times somewhere. My understanding was one of the shortest was now 2 hours.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Plop a base computer down while you’re there then teleport to it.

That works. Ancient aliens with their old analog portals being shown up by players and their disruptive build-anywhere teleporters.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if you can stack the launch thruster efficiency boosters for more launch fuel reduction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Bootcha posted:

Anyone know if you can stack the launch thruster efficiency boosters for more launch fuel reduction?

You could with the dupe exploit thing.