Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Deadlift with a belt, don't go super heavy and don't go heavy for reps. Make sure your form is good and don't struggle one up, if your form gets worse as you do reps stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Adding to that, if you have flexibility trouble and cannot get down the whole way without bending your back, set the bar on the lowest level of squat rack and lift from there. It's an incomplete motion but it also removes the part of the motion most likely to injure you.

It's what I did when I was a lifting noob for a few months until I had the flexibility for the full range

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No more steroid chat

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I rolled with coral belt today and kinda made him tired a little as he choked he me out repeatedly, so I guess that’s a win.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

But since it was DLs that hurt me last time, I'm a bit spooked on 'em. Do you guys have suggestions for another hip-hinge exercise? Kettlebell swings look fun, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate.

Sumo deadlifts are the best

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

Sumo deadlifts are the best

Ok, thanks, and to the others too... but when I was looking for alternatives I was actually wondering about non-deadlift exercises, instead of just variations on the existing deadlift.

I know DLs are good and honestly they're my favorite lift (so I'll keep doing them), but I'm looking to branch out and see how my body reacts to other stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Count Roland posted:

Ok, thanks, and to the others too... but when I was looking for alternatives I was actually wondering about non-deadlift exercises, instead of just variations on the existing deadlift.

I know DLs are good and honestly they're my favorite lift (so I'll keep doing them), but I'm looking to branch out and see how my body reacts to other stuff.

Give me a sec. A BJJ site had an article once about exercises BJJ guys should do that had a thing about deadlift alts. Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: nm it's all just alts for the deadlift lol

I mean pretty much anything that matches the deadlift motion is gonna be either a type of deadlift or a segment of the deadlift

I mean, the most non deadlift stuff that still fits is Romanian deadlifts and kettlebells

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 13, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Turkish Getups, paused/relaxed box squats, cleans

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Count Roland posted:

1-leg stiff legged deadlifts are cool. I know "deadlift" is in the name but they're quite different and great for balance and stability.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3Q-nMgtxY

You can mix up which hand the weight is in -- same side, opposite side, both hands, etc.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

Turkish Getups, paused/relaxed box squats, cleans

Huh I didn't even realize these involved a hip hinge. A quick look shows a lot of BJJ movements in there, looks pretty handy.

And yeah the 1 handed ones look neat. It was actually drilling the x-pass that caused the latest flare-up, so I imagine working the stiff legged deadlift would help prevent that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Huh I didn't even realize these involved a hip hinge. A quick look shows a lot of BJJ movements in there, looks pretty handy.

And yeah the 1 handed ones look neat. It was actually drilling the x-pass that caused the latest flare-up, so I imagine working the stiff legged deadlift would help prevent that.

Turkish getups own for BJJ. They are a tremendous movement to understand and get cold (and then get really good at them with increasing weight).

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Since we're on the topic of injuries and exercises:

I hurt my back around a year ago and it flared up again recently. It gets better, but slowly. The lesson I think is I need to maintain exercises to keep it healthy. Yoga, deadlifts and core work were the physio prescription.

But since it was DLs that hurt me last time, I'm a bit spooked on 'em. Do you guys have suggestions for another hip-hinge exercise? Kettlebell swings look fun, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate.

Hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions, glute ham raise, cable pull through, barbell glute bridge, barbell hip thrust.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Flograppling was in class filming video today. I was trying to avoid the camera but managed to have the camera right in my face as I had to tap to an RNC. I'm looking forward to being embarrassing b-roll on a profile on one of the pro grapplers.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Flounges, single-legged flounges, bugsquashers, DDLs, bulgarian scrunchdowns, reverse bulgarian scrunchdowns

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Yuns posted:

Flograppling was in class filming video today. I was trying to avoid the camera but managed to have the camera right in my face as I had to tap to an RNC. I'm looking forward to being embarrassing b-roll on a profile on one of the pro grapplers.

Goals

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lol my rolling partner loving reeked of weed today. We were practicing collar chokes and at one point I worried I was going too hard on him because his eyes were all bloodshot and then I was like "oh, yeah, right"

Edit: also, does anyone have issues with their thumbs dislocating? My thumbs dislocate really easily but it's happened twice recently. Its not a big deal since I just pop it back and tape it up until the strength returns. I wonder if it means I am doing something wrong though.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 15, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The video is out. Luckily it doesn't capture me being choked. I'm way in the background treating a blue belt like he owes me money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpVKKDvZQsc

https://youtu.be/RpVKKDvZQsc

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 15, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Does Renzo's have decent air conditioning? I'm getting pretty tired of Marcelo's feeling like a loving rainforest even in winter. During the summer it's practically intolerable.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does Renzo's have decent air conditioning? I'm getting pretty tired of Marcelo's feeling like a loving swamp even in winter. During the summer it's practically intolerable.
Renzo's has really good air conditioning. For a long time there was no air conditioning and then poor air conditioning but the current system is almost too strong.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

Renzo's has really good air conditioning. For a long time there was no air conditioning and then poor air conditioning but the current system is almost too strong.

:thunk:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Creonte! No airconditioning make you more better at the jiu jits.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yuns posted:

Oh yeah — sometimes it’s actually chilly down there

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

Creonte! No airconditioning make you more better at the jiu jits.

I'm not even a jiu jitsu guy, I just want a place to crosstrain where I won't get migraines from dehydration

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Air conditioning? Come on heat builds character.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drink water ya sissy.

In all reality, if you're just cross training why not train where you're most comfortable or check out a bunch of places?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

Drink water ya sissy.

In all reality, if you're just cross training why not train where you're most comfortable or check out a bunch of places?

I just went where a bunch of other guys at my gym were training but they're all brown and black belts so I wound up never being in the same classes as them anyway. So now it makes sense to go where I'd be more comfortable, and air conditioning is going to be an important part of that.

Other NYC goons in this thread can attest to how awful this summer has been.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 15, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Other NYC goons in this thread can attest to how awful this summer has been.

Agreed. I train mostly in the gi and some days have been pretty unbearable.

E: what’s the thread consensus on Flo? I would like to watch Kasai but have heard bad things about people trying to cancel subscriptions with them.

butros fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 15, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've had no problems starting and stopping my Flo account. I only keep it active for events I want to see. But I cant speak for anyone else.

Also mechafunkzilla if you decide to drop by Renzos, please let me know. I'm always around in the morning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our building is hot as gently caress. I've lost 6 pounds in a single workout more than once. One of our guys works in a greenhouse and has a 4 foot tall industrial fan that we set up, and we're always discussing whether we want it to point in to bring it fresh air, or out to blast away the swampy miasma. Half the time it's hotter outside than inside, too.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Our building is hot as gently caress. I've lost 6 pounds in a single workout more than once. One of our guys works in a greenhouse and has a 4 foot tall industrial fan that we set up, and we're always discussing whether we want it to point in to bring it fresh air, or out to blast away the swampy miasma. Half the time it's hotter outside than inside, too.

drat, maybe this is why I've lost weight. The gym I go to is basically just a loading bay so the door is always open, but after humidity its usually 90 out there anyway so everyone is sweating buckets.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

You guys should try a nogi class at Unity. It’s the grossest thing I’ve ever experience ever.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Or any class, I guess. You can train there for free during the day if you’re a blue belt or higher.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

drat, maybe this is why I've lost weight. The gym I go to is basically just a loading bay so the door is always open, but after humidity its usually 90 out there anyway so everyone is sweating buckets.

I regularly drop 5-6 pounds over an hour or two of training, and that's with the A/C on.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I never weigh myself post training but considering how wet my gi is afterwards its gotta be at least a lb or so

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Given how many NYC grapplers we have and how many others visit NYC, we should have a goon open mat sometime.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

I've had no problems starting and stopping my Flo account. I only keep it active for events I want to see. But I cant speak for anyone else.

Also mechafunkzilla if you decide to drop by Renzos, please let me know. I'm always around in the morning.

Will do, though I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to get myself up early enough to make an 7am class.

Yuns posted:

Given how many NYC grapplers we have and how many others visit NYC, we should have a goon open mat sometime.

That'd be fun.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Will do, though I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to get myself up early enough to make an 7am class.
John's class starts around 7:45 am. Only gi starts at 7:00.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

John's class starts around 7:45 am. Only gi starts at 7:00.

:sludgepal:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

Agreed that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The 10th Planet here in town is appropriately nicknamed "The Swamp"

I've trained at Sergio's when it's been 110 outside and a very minimum of 100 inside with no fans on.