Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Lady Demelza posted:

My plans at the moment are to use the raised bed for the Three Sisters: sweetcorn, runner beans and butternut squash. There are a couple of rhubarb plants already established that I'll keep. The greenhouse would be for containers of onions, potatoes, salad leaves, tomatoes and potentially aubergine (eggplant). Is this too ambitious? Seeds and bulbs were half-price so I picked up a few packets of things I like and decided to worry about the details later. There are only two of us so the yields don't have to be enormous to keep us going.

Can I grow stuff, or is this going to be nothing more than a pricey pile of slug food and withered dreams?

The growing season is almost over for non-greenhouse things, assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere.

If in the Southern hemisphere, it's about time to start preparing the soil. Preparing the soil could just mean levelling off but if you're concerned about soil quality I would add compost. You want your soil to be crumbly, dark, and moist when you plant so add as much compost as you need to get to that point. 2" over the entire bed area is a good starting point. If you know specific problems with the soil there are other additives you can add, but compost is nearly universally good, as it contributes nutrients and helps hold onto water. Preparing your soil can happen at any point prior to planting, so you can get started on that even if it is going to soon be autumn where you live.

Look up your city / region on a planting calendar to determine when to plant your various seeds and bulbs. Each of them will have their own planting date although most will be very similar (aubergine, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, beans, and squash all like the soil to be quite warm). The onions and salad greens can tolerate cooler temperatures generally. I'm not certain how the greenhouse will affect this. Obviously it will warm things up considerably but if it's winter you will have much less daylight for your plants to use. I would try to find a greenhouse specific advice if you move on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It might be worthwhile to get the greenhouse even if it's too late to grow much just so you can see what the temp and humidity are like in there over winter, as there can be a bit of a learning curve there in managing those variables and seeing what might grow best with the conditions you have.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

And gardening is always a learning experience. You're gonna kill some stuff the first season. Learn from that and do better next season.

Green house + beds etc might be a little much for a new gardener. You might just want to do one, and use the time between now and spring to do more reading and make plans. Plus that gives you time to save up for a green house.

I would definitely plant greens right away though. Chard and kale (and to a lesser extent some spinach) is pretty cold Hardy, and will grow right through some milder winters (even being fine with light snow.). AND greens are some of the more overpriced stuff at the store, so you can save a fair amount of money (and have a wider variety of more fresh salads). And now is when you want to be planting wildflowers for next year and stuff like garlic and onions, I believe.

So, greens, alums, and then prep the soil in your raised bed (age some compost/manure on it, maybe lasagna mulch). Plan what you'll put in there come spring, do research on greenhouses and save for one, then come spring plant your three sisters and maybe some tomatoes and Chile's in pots, start accumulating supplies for the green house in the fall once you have a better idea what you're doing.

For me, the thing I find to be a lifesaver is an automatic watering system. I'm terribly absent-minded and will forget to water stuff for a week when work gets busy. And I tend to overwater if I do it by hand. Plus once one is set up you can go on vacation without killing all your plants or getting someone to come by to water them.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 14, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Since you're pretty space limited you might want to look into square foot gardening. It's a bit spendy to set up with their recommended soil composition, so I'd mostly ignore that bit. But they're big on intensive (close together) planting, and that would probably be good for getting maximum foods out of your smaller space.

Oh, and you will need to start fertilizing after a season or two. I would start composting if at all possible now, and you'll have some nice compost/fertilizer ready for next spring's garden that you can add to your soil. There are expensive setups you can get, but I just have some pallets with chicken wire on the inside covered with a tarp.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Greens are one of the best things you can grow. They're so expensive and have such a short shelf life. It's great to have on hand whenever you need them.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lady Demelza posted:

My plans at the moment are to use the raised bed for the Three Sisters: sweetcorn, runner beans and butternut squash. There are a couple of rhubarb plants already established that I'll keep. The greenhouse would be for containers of onions, potatoes, salad leaves, tomatoes and potentially aubergine (eggplant). Is this too ambitious? Seeds and bulbs were half-price so I picked up a few packets of things I like and decided to worry about the details later. There are only two of us so the yields don't have to be enormous to keep us going.

There's some good advice upstream. Again though, it would help to know the zone and roughly where you are. If you're in the right zone winter gardening (especially with a greenhouse) is a definite possibility.

You might want to take a look at the One Yard Revolution YouTube channel. He's in Zone 5 and faces a lot of the same challenges you describe - suburban back lot, poor native soil, and shade you can't deal with just by grabbing your chain saw.

This spring we tried a small bed of Three Sisters and planted our melons and squash using the Square Foot Gardening spacing. This was a mistake. We have no paths now. Next year the melons go on trellises like OYR Patrick suggests.

What looks likes like a path on the left past the Peaches and Cream corn is a bed of winter brassicas transplanted out last week and mulched. Moving right we have a Delicada and Pattypan squash arm wrestling for control of what used to be the path. I think there's still a bunch of Black Turtle beans between them and the Bodacious corn. Next, there should be a path where the spaghetti squash is (and another line of Black Turtles). This squash has ambitions; it has taken over the path, passed through the fence and is now going after "the lawn" (a.k.a., flat area over the septic field that is green when it rains and gets mowed sometimes.) Oddly enough the deer aren't eating it. I should probably check under the leaves for bones.

What I'm trying to say here is that corn and squash are big, vigorous plants if you give them what they need. They're a bit daunting when they start producing. If you think zuccini are bad for drowning you in squash, try a pattypan plant. I've had to start eating them for breakfast:

Slice horizontally, slice off stem area and scoop out seeds to form a bowl.
Microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Microwave a couple of strips of bacon for 2 minutes.
Fill pattypan with a mixture of chopped bacon, homemade relish and/or homemade salsa verde.
Top with with grated cheddar and/or parmesan.
Return to microwave for 2 minutes.
Enjoy the sensation of grossing your family out by being a barbarian who eats this sort of thing for breakfast.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Greens are one of the best things you can grow. They're so expensive and have such a short shelf life. It's great to have on hand whenever you need them.

Oh, yeah. If you have a pot and can either grow cabbage or kale, grow kale because you can harvest continually from the same plant. Lots of other examples along the same lines - it's a much more effective use of space to grow things you can harvest continually (beans, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, celery, herbs, etc etc) instead of things you harvest once (carrots, cabbage, potatoes, etc). Obviously you can and should grow whatever you want but as far as an effective use of space and time over the course of the season this is what I'd recommend.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

Oh, yeah. If you have a pot and can either grow cabbage or kale, grow kale because you can harvest continually from the same plant. Lots of other examples along the same lines - it's a much more effective use of space to grow things you can harvest continually (beans, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, celery, herbs, etc etc) instead of things you harvest once (carrots, cabbage, potatoes, etc). Obviously you can and should grow whatever you want but as far as an effective use of space and time over the course of the season this is what I'd recommend.

kale is also really efficient because as long as it produces even a single leaf, you'll have more than you'll ever want!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

The crinkly leaf varieties are also tough for bugs/caterpillars/slugs to eat which leaves more for you to enjoy!

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Mozi posted:

The crinkly leaf varieties are also tough for bugs/caterpillars/slugs to eat which leaves more for you to enjoy!

Also if you just rub the leaves in some oil and let them sit for 15 min the waxy coating dissolves and they're super tender.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

bugs and caterpillars and slugs have higher standards in vegetables than you do

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tiny white flies are eating my cucumber plant as fast as it can grow new leaves. I am spraying it with neem but it only seems to annoy the flies

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I think I'm in zone 7 (UK). It's getting towards the end of season now. I'll experiment with some onions and chard but really I want to make sure everything is ready to go next year. There's so much to learn and buy and prepare.

I'll definitely check out the Youtube channel and square foot gardening. A friend has donated a slightly sad, yellow strawberry plant to the cause, so the first gardening challenge will be to see if it can be nursed back to health.

Composting is on the to-do list, and I'm keeping a look out for a cheap second-hand compost bin. I'm not keen on having a bare heap, as apparently there have been problems with vermin in the past.

And if I grow so much as a single kale leaf, expect to see hundreds of photos of it, because I will love it like a firstborn child.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
In that case, you might want to keep an eye on Charles Dowding's YouTube channel. He's in the U.K. as well and regularly talks about timing and local growing conditions.

I like his no-dig method. I switched to it several years ago when I changed from overhead watering to drip irrigation. With permanent beds I can leave the drip tubes undisturbed under the mulch and not have to re-build every spring. Given that: 1) My plants aren't complaining, and 2) I'm inherently lazy, I think I'll keep using this method.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

Composting is on the to-do list, and I'm keeping a look out for a cheap second-hand compost bin. I'm not keen on having a bare heap, as apparently there have been problems with vermin in the past.

A circular wire fence compost bin is probably the cheapest option out there after a found wood bin (in which case you need to be worried about whether the wood was pressure treated or oiled), and can be constructed easily in less than an hour. Vermin shouldn’t be much of an issue as long as you don’t put animal byproducts in it.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hexigrammus posted:

In that case, you might want to keep an eye on Charles Dowding's YouTube channel. He's in the U.K. as well and regularly talks about timing and local growing conditions.

I like his no-dig method. I switched to it several years ago when I changed from overhead watering to drip irrigation. With permanent beds I can leave the drip tubes undisturbed under the mulch and not have to re-build every spring. Given that: 1) My plants aren't complaining, and 2) I'm inherently lazy, I think I'll keep using this method.

No dig + drip irrigation + mulch is the way, the truth, and the light. For real. Just gotta be careful not to step on the soil anywhere you're gonna plant and compact it too much. Which is fine for narrow beds that you can access from both sides, which are easier to maintain anyways.

It's what I do in high desert 7b, only about 25 cm of rain a year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kedo posted:

A circular wire fence compost bin is probably the cheapest option out there after a found wood bin (in which case you need to be worried about whether the wood was pressure treated or oiled), and can be constructed easily in less than an hour. Vermin shouldn’t be much of an issue as long as you don’t put animal byproducts in it.

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Geobin-SYNCHKG043886-Compost-Bin-GEOBIN/dp/B0085O6NXQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1534343264&sr=8-15&keywords=compost+bin

Costs more than wire, but $30 is still cheap.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

If you're worried about rodents and vermin, do not go with plastic and make the same mistake I did. I bought heavy duty plastic bin and they lasted about a year before the rats chewed large enough holes to dig inside.

Go with wire and a frame. Maybe a frame that lets you open the front partially to turn it. Or not, that's high (low) tech.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

Green-fingered goons, help me please.

I haven't grown anything since cress on cotton wool at school. Now, for the first time, I have a patch of earth to call my own and although it's nothing like the spectacular gardens in this thread, I want it to be fruitful. And veg-ful.

Gardening on the cheap is easy because people are constantly throwing stuff out or giving it away: seeds, mulch, compost, building materials, etc. you name it. One of the best ways to save money is to stop buying your plants, learn to grow your annuals from seed, and propagate your perennials (double bonus if your perennials are also food). Find out which neighbors are saving seeds, go to seed swaps, gardening talks/discussion, and farmer's markets for cheap and possibly free seeds. You've got fall and winter to figure out how to grow from seed indoors; try some herbs you'll be able to enjoy before the light fades: basil, chives, mint, oregano, cilantro (you might call it coriander), something like that, then take them indoors when the weather gets too cold. Get free pots from garden centers; they typically allow people to bring them in for recycling, so they often have them just lying around for the taking.

I would seriously consider building a pallet compost bin of at least one cubic meter simply to close the loop on throwing away valuable stuff. Mainly this is food scraps, leaf litter, old soil, last season's plants, etc. that turn into valuable soil. Even better if you have 2 "bays": one to add new materials to, the other to hold a full pile until it's finished composting. Soil would easily be my biggest expense if I had to buy it. I have a little over 11 sq. meters of garden, and I easily lose a cubic meter (probably more like a meter and a half) of soil to garden biomass every year let alone the soil I need for flowerbeds, filling low spots in the yard, pots/planters, new beds, etc.

Don't let a lack of funds burst your greenhouse bubble. Keep an eye out for people throwing away old single-pane windows and build a greenhouse from them! Gardening seems to be one of those hobbies that really rewards ingenuity. Make sure you know where the sun and shade will be coming from before you do any site prep for the greenhouse. You don't want it to be baking inside in the summer, nor do you want it to be in the long shadows of surrounding trees in the early/late season; don't put it in the windiest spots on the property; don't put it in frost pockets; plan for water removal/drainage.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

on the seed topic, MIGardener has a $0.50 seed packet sale right now. Seed properly stored lasts at least a few years so if you want to get a head start on next season, this is a great time to do that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I might be a weirdo but I legitimately enjoy worm composting. I have regular compost piles in addition, but my worm bins are where the magic really happens. I've had to work through some issues in getting to this point though so I thought it might be helpful to somebody if I wrote them down.

The most critical component (in my opinion) isn't food, but moisture control. Specifically, if the bin gets too wet, it will die and you will see a mass worm exodus, which is not great. It's always better to err on the side of adding fewer moist things to the bin than to just put whatever in and hope for the best. Similarly, it's better to underfeed than overfeed. I still have a lot of mites in my bin because of previous moisture issues but they've reached an equilibrium of sorts with the worms. Also they're impossible to get rid of.

While you can just add food directly to the bin, it's much more efficient to freeze or blend it first - or, like me, do both. I have a small rubber compost thing that fits in my freezer door; when that's full, I blend it all up. I add pinches of rock dust and oyster shell just for extra fortification and mix in a handful of this coco/kelp/manure mix I have, mainly to absorb more of the moisture. Let that sit out for a few hours to come to room temp and add to the bin, covering with shredded cardboard.

It's important to put the bin in a location that has pretty stable temperatures all year round. I initially put mine in my basement because it was cool in the summer, but come winter when my boiler was going it wasn't an appropriate location, leading to mass worm exodus. Should be between 70-80 degrees with no quick changes or direct sunlight.

It's also important to age the castings. Depending on your specific bin design, the castings may not actually be finished by the time you have to harvest them. I move mine to a second bin from the first, stirring it all up to avoid compaction and then letting it continue to be worked over in the second bin until I need it. I use the Worm Factory 360 for the first bin (easy to remove finished castings) and one of those canvas bag systems for the second (better evaporation, so no worries about moisture.)

The only nasty bits are that you will always have some exploratory worms that escape, which family members may not love, and you'll have to have a fruit fly trap going so it'll smell like apple cider vinegar. The bin itself shouldn't have any smell.

When all is said and done it takes months to get the complete system going, but once you're seeing the results of your homemade castings there's no going back. And who doesn't like to pamper their worms?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Have you guys seen black soldier fly composting? There's a small sect of people who are like "Yo why no meat?!" and use black soldier fly larva to compost literally anything that rots. :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12t3Qi8Ipmo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, apparently that's effective if you need to compost a lot of meat for some reason. Otherwise... I'll stick with my worms, I think. I have an existing meat composter system called 'dog'.

I read some people use those as improvised chicken feeders, hanging the fly composter in the air in the coop so some larvae fall down. But it ended up spreading disease.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 15, 2018

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

I've got one of these and it's worked pretty great. I've learned though that when it's not more than like half full, rabbits can easily hop on the side and get inside to have their own sweet babby making pad... they didn't figure that the babies would then need to get out, though.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Have you guys seen black soldier fly composting? There's a small sect of people who are like "Yo why no meat?!" and use black soldier fly larva to compost literally anything that rots. :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12t3Qi8Ipmo

People literally compost people poops so I'm not really surprised by anything these days. I've got about 8 trailer loads of pallets at work right now and keep meaning to bring some home to start composting again but I've literally never had success doing so. We're an extremely minimalist family and generate almost no trash but we do produce a fair amount of compostable stuff. I had a wire ring compost setup at the old house but it inevitably just turned into clay. I guess it is going to take more time and effort and ehhhhhhhhhh....

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Behold the majesty of my entire crop of Sichuan peppercorns this season:

Speaking of stunted, what do Lao green eggplants want that Italian heirloom and Japanese eggplants don't need? Every time I put in any of the latter they grow and produce like crazy---like right now I've got two Japanese eggplants that have been producing about a pound a week between them and never a problem---and whenever I try to grow any of those little green Lao or Thai eggplants they don't grow or produce for poo poo. Right now I've got several Lao greens that germinated and put out their seed leaves and then just stalled there for literally months---as in they sprouted back in March and they're still alive but haven't gotten past the seed leaf stage. I've had similar problems with several other Lao/Thai eggplants from multiple seed sources, but never with any other kind of eggplant. What am I missing?

Anyway, here's a random weird tomato I tried this season. They're what Baker Creek calls an atomic grape tomato. On the vine and not yet ripe:

These are a little more stripey than the ones produced by the other plants, which are mostly purple with a little green. But their pics didn't come out as well so gently caress 'em. Here's some ripened off the vine, the purple deepening to almost black and the green becoming dark red well before they start getting soft:

And finally cut open, showing how the interior remains green even when almost over-ripe:

Barely ripe they have a very strong tomato flavour like you expect out of a dark cherry tomato, with a sweet, almost melon-like note. As they get more ripe they get sweeter but the flesh still stays fairly firm. Like really noticeably firmer than most cherry tomatoes (I've also got a couple black cherry vines going and when they get over-ripe they're hard to pick without having them split in your hand). All of the plants I have are producing tomatoes in clusters of three or four, which is less than most cherry tomatoes. Fruit set seems to be pretty good. Way less productive than most cherry tomatoes, but that seems to be the way the plants grow rather than these plants being stunted, failing to set fruit, or whatever.

Anyway, they were the dumb gimmick seeds I planted this season and they seem to have had pretty good germination rates (I think I got 5/6 starting pots producing seedlings, of which I planted three) and all of they have been producing, if less vigorously than most cherry tomatoes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For a second I thought you'd accidentally posted a picture of eggplants.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

mischief posted:

I had a wire ring compost setup at the old house but it inevitably just turned into clay. I guess it is going to take more time and effort and ehhhhhhhhhh....

I’m really curious how you turned compost into clay... Maybe this is a dumb question, but were you adding clay soil to it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

For a second I thought you'd accidentally posted a picture of eggplants.
Yeah, when they're unripe they look a lot like wee little purple striped heirloom eggplants. The ones in the photos are around 3 cm/1.25" long and are all from one plant growing in a raised bed. The other two plants are across the yard where they get slightly less sun and seem to be producing somewhat fatter but less numerous tomatoes. One's in a container that's being hand-watered and so on average is slightly drier than the one in the raised bed, and the other is in a vertical garden trough that's slightly shaded as so the soil stays slightly moister than the raised bed. So based on this bullshit anecdotal evidence I'm concluding that they're more sensitive to sunlight than watering.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

Speaking of stunted, what do Lao green eggplants want that Italian heirloom and Japanese eggplants don't need? Every time I put in any of the latter they grow and produce like crazy---like right now I've got two Japanese eggplants that have been producing about a pound a week between them and never a problem---and whenever I try to grow any of those little green Lao or Thai eggplants they don't grow or produce for poo poo. Right now I've got several Lao greens that germinated and put out their seed leaves and then just stalled there for literally months---as in they sprouted back in March and they're still alive but haven't gotten past the seed leaf stage. I've had similar problems with several other Lao/Thai eggplants from multiple seed sources, but never with any other kind of eggplant. What am I missing?

Anyway, here's a random weird tomato I tried this season. They're what Baker Creek calls an atomic grape tomato. On the vine and not yet ripe:

These are a little more stripey than the ones produced by the other plants, which are mostly purple with a little green. But their pics didn't come out as well so gently caress 'em. Here's some ripened off the vine, the purple deepening to almost black and the green becoming dark red well before they start getting soft:

And finally cut open, showing how the interior remains green even when almost over-ripe:

Barely ripe they have a very strong tomato flavour like you expect out of a dark cherry tomato, with a sweet, almost melon-like note. As they get more ripe they get sweeter but the flesh still stays fairly firm. Like really noticeably firmer than most cherry tomatoes (I've also got a couple black cherry vines going and when they get over-ripe they're hard to pick without having them split in your hand). All of the plants I have are producing tomatoes in clusters of three or four, which is less than most cherry tomatoes. Fruit set seems to be pretty good. Way less productive than most cherry tomatoes, but that seems to be the way the plants grow rather than these plants being stunted, failing to set fruit, or whatever.

Anyway, they were the dumb gimmick seeds I planted this season and they seem to have had pretty good germination rates (I think I got 5/6 starting pots producing seedlings, of which I planted three) and all of they have been producing, if less vigorously than most cherry tomatoes.

Hey I grew those, too! I get a pretty intense tomato flavor, slight smokiness. Flesh is quite thick which is the only downside but the flavor is amazing. I did have a helluvatime trying to figure out when one was ripe but just went by touch when they had a slight give.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hey I grew those, too! I get a pretty intense tomato flavor, slight smokiness. Flesh is quite thick which is the only downside but the flavor is amazing. I did have a helluvatime trying to figure out when one was ripe but just went by touch when they had a slight give.
I've been harvesting them when they start to turn colour---the green parts lighten to yellow, stay that way for awhile, then they start to turn red---and then eating them when they feel like they're the firmness I want. They seem to stay in the `sufficiently ripe' zone for longer than most tomatoes.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

SubG posted:

Nice! The peppercorns are also excellent eaten fresh/green. Here is my little tree that I bought last spring. Still a ways to go for peppercorns but I am still using the leaves a lot.

Also an update my (mostly) unpruned tomatoes. It's hard to capture the scale but the bushes are towering over me at this point. I'm still managing to keep it all supported without too much effort and they have survived pretty serious downpours and wind. Now that the heat has become a bit less oppressive they have also started flowering and fruiting again. I grew those Dark Galaxy tomatoes this year which look pretty but have been very unproductive for me compared to the other two varieties. A shame because the few fruit I have gotten are delicious.

And recently my birds eye chilies are going crazy. This is after harvesting a handful of them and now it is starting to flower again.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

guri posted:

Nice! The peppercorns are also excellent eaten fresh/green. Here is my little tree that I bought last spring. Still a ways to go for peppercorns but I am still using the leaves a lot.
Yeah, the fresh peppercorns are super citrusy and way more numbing than dried. Like if you're having trouble explaining the difference between la and ma to someone give them a fresh sichuan peppercorn because they are ma as gently caress.

My plant is just a little bit larger than yours, and this is the first season it has produced any peppercorns. It spent a couple months looking like a thorny stick stuck in the ground, but has started putting out a shitload of new growth this season. Haven't really used any of the leaves for anything yet because I was just happy to see it putting out foliage.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Well, things have taken a turn for the worse:

In about a week, all my sweet basil and thai basil got what I suspect is basil downy mildew. It could all have been infected for a bit, but there was enough rainy weather for entire plants to become covered in spores overnight. It seems like there wasn't much I could do (in terms of food safe fungicides), so most of my plants went right into a garbage bag. I left a couple, but heavily pruned them to leave only stems that weren't visibly infected (they'll probably have to go in the trash too, though). But somehow the rooted cuttings that I've been growing indoors seem to be okay so far, so maybe I can try transplanting some into pots far from my previous basil plants.

My indoor parsley and roses were lost to spider mites, RIP

Something has ruined my thyme (and to a lesser extent, my oregano). I suspect that it might be related to the weather, plus the fact that they aren't getting much direct sunlight anymore. Any idea what this is?

My cucumbers are...weird. Here are the 5 i picked today. I have no idea what this is about lol

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Slanderer posted:

My cucumbers are...weird. Here are the 5 i picked today. I have no idea what this is about lol

The weird ones look like the result of under/poor pollination. Usually happens to early cukes (when there are few flowers), when it gets super hot (which affects the viability of the pollen), not enough pollinators, or something like that.

There are other causes, but if your cucumber plants look otherwise healthy, that would be my guess.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SubG posted:

The weird ones look like the result of under/poor pollination. Usually happens to early cukes (when there are few flowers), when it gets super hot (which affects the viability of the pollen), not enough pollinators, or something like that.

There are other causes, but if your cucumber plants look otherwise healthy, that would be my guess.

Thanks! Googling for poor pollination brought up other pictures like this, so that checks out. It hasn't been too hot recently, but it has been humid and rainy, so that could have done it. Since one vine is doing real well, I assume it isn't a fertilizer issue, but I guess I should check to make sure that I'm not missing anything essential for cukes.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

For those of you who foolishly grow cucumbers with very few people around to offload your green dildoveggies, a great summer snack is sliced cucumber with a pinch of salt on it. Great for losing weight too! It fills you up without actually consuming a lot of calories!

Also there is nothing more refreshing than cucumber salad! I am currently experimenting with cucumber noodles too.

A word from what I have experienced growing squashes is that bigger != better. The bigger they grow the more the plant focuses on seed production which makes the veggie nigh inedible because of how bitter it is. This might be species specfic though. I havent grown enough varities to apply it across the board.

Also the squashes become bitter if they bake in the sun too long. You can cool them off by spritzing (I have had some success with that)

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My kids love cucumber sandwiches, too. A classic summer snack. I usually do a little mayo on one slice of bread and a little ranch on the other, sliced cucumbers in the middle with a pinch of seasoned salt. They really like taking them to the pool in a cold cooler for hot day snacks.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've been making pints of cucumber kimchi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

None of you are making pickles? What is this world coming to?! I have roughly three gallons of delicious fermented pickles canned and sitting in my basement from the bumper cucumber crop earlier in the summer (before cucumber beetles destroyed my plants).