Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Steve Yun posted:

What's a good size starting freighter? I got 19 slots on mine

34 :frogc00l:

I rerolled the free freighter encounter, only took another two jumps or so, got lucky with an A class

E: blessed rng snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's somewhat annoying that you can't really fully ignore Freighter fights unless you just leave the system.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I realize it's probably that I'm new and dumb at this game but I am always out of pure ferrite and credits :(

I'm just trying to build an under water base on my blistering hot planet game it's all I want.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I realize it's probably that I'm new and dumb at this game but I am always out of pure ferrite and credits :(

I'm just trying to build an under water base on my blistering hot planet game it's all I want.

Get an upgraded laser and it's a lot easier/cheaper to get pure ferrite.

Do quests and get paid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, right, don’t build your teleporter inside a mountain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Warping to most of my bases leaves me standing on top of the base computer, except for one of them. Warping to that one drops me about 30u away from the computer, right over a hole in the ground.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Warping to most of my bases leaves me standing on top of the base computer, except for one of them. Warping to that one drops me about 30u away from the computer, right over a hole in the ground.

I'm starting my proper home now and I purposely put the computer somewhere under where the floor is going to be. Hopefully it'll teleport me* inside the base.

*and not my ship.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm starting my proper home now and I purposely put the computer somewhere under where the floor is going to be. Hopefully it'll teleport me* inside the base.

*and not my ship.

I tried this and got stuck in the terrain. Had to join an mp game then fly back to my base and tear the roof off.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thundarr posted:

I looked it up in the wiki and there are apparently two different kinds of freighter fights: if you just get a message about a freighter under attack and fly over, you get a discount for saving them but it's not free. If you warp into a new system and immediately find yourself in the middle of a fight, that's when you can take it for free.
I know you looked it up on a wiki so you can't answer but I don't think this is correct... at all. Two examples as follows:
1: I warped into a system with a freight fight happening over one of those nice Class A capitals. I fight the pirates off and talk to the freighter captain. He asks for 123 million creds because I already own a freighter. Obviously this one isn't free even though I warped into the system for the first time and the fight was occurring.
2: I watched a streamer take a mission to defend a freighter. He did the mission, went aboard, and they gave him that freighter for free.

Both of these points are against what the wiki suggests. I think it's more likely just a huge bug that isn't fixed yet and the biggest reasoning for that is because when you do save a freighter and they ask for money, after you cancel out the pilot will talk to you as though he is your pilot and ask to transfer inventory... out of the freighter you already own and into your ship. It's impossible to buy the freighter after refusing to in the first "you saved me" dialog.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I started a Creative save file so I could dick around with base layouts without having to actually grind anything in Survival then end up hating it and oh man building poo poo is super loving fun

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I started a Creative save file so I could dick around with base layouts without having to actually grind anything in Survival then end up hating it and oh man building poo poo is super loving fun

Same, and yeah it is. Grinding for building in Normal is zero fun. More carbon, more pure ferrite, mineminemine, more carbon for the refiner, more carbon for the laser, etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

*and not my ship.

It's one of my gardening bases (my starting system had four different plant/metal biomes and the next system had the other two), not a proper structure base, but I'm gonna pave over that hole next time I head out there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also just realized today you can actually summon any of your ships pretty much anywhere?

I'm a loving idiot for not knowing this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also just realized today you can actually summon any of your ships pretty much anywhere?

I'm a loving idiot for not knowing this.

Nah, the game throws a bunch of tools at your feet and says here you figure it out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Another fun note: the freighter hyperdrive can make about five jumps per warp cell, your ship can only do one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Another fun note: the freighter hyperdrive can make about five jumps per warp cell, your ship can only do one.

Hyperdrive modules, friend. 3 S-rank on my exotic ship means I use 5% fuel per jump (so 4 per warp cell at a MUCH farther distance, around 1300 LY). Now it's base talk! Here's what I have so far:

First of, where it's going to go:

There's a portal just around that hill in the back (about 800units away). Lush planet, cool sentinels, no bad weather..

Probably front deck/"dock" area. I'll probably tailor a little more to the island's contour once I get building.

I want to go for the industrial loft open look but also wanted to define certain areas. Turns out the small walls are perfect for doing small vertical increments / steps. It's a PAIN IN THE rear end to get the floors where you want them and there's a ton of delete and replace because the game is not very good at handling verticality but it can be done!

Entrance / open area + stairs to terrace

Again, use the small walls to define areas. I don't want to build anything massive but if I was I would love to instead of having a glass ceiling at the center doing an encased glass opening where some vegetation (or water if building underwater) could be displayed across the home.

I plan to set up a separate (connected with a path/trail) area for my landing pad and exocraft and then have some fun with a basement/underground water viewing area. I'm kinda enjoying the basic pieces as they're somewhat cheaper (ok WAY MORE cheaper) than the prefab pieces and they let me be a little more creative with room arrangement. But now I want way more decoration than available and this is going to end up making me reinstall The Sims. I also wish there were less "busy" wall textures for a more uniform look and maybe a single glass sheet option.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 16, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DaveKap posted:

I know you looked it up on a wiki so you can't answer but I don't think this is correct... at all. Two examples as follows:
1: I warped into a system with a freight fight happening over one of those nice Class A capitals. I fight the pirates off and talk to the freighter captain. He asks for 123 million creds because I already own a freighter. Obviously this one isn't free even though I warped into the system for the first time and the fight was occurring.
2: I watched a streamer take a mission to defend a freighter. He did the mission, went aboard, and they gave him that freighter for free.

Both of these points are against what the wiki suggests. I think it's more likely just a huge bug that isn't fixed yet and the biggest reasoning for that is because when you do save a freighter and they ask for money, after you cancel out the pilot will talk to you as though he is your pilot and ask to transfer inventory... out of the freighter you already own and into your ship. It's impossible to buy the freighter after refusing to in the first "you saved me" dialog.

I guess that's fair, considering I just now jumped into a fight and got offered a ship and they're charging money despite the dialogue. It's a C class capital ship that I'm buying anyway because it's an upgrade and I'm making money hand over fist now :v:

Also the last Atlas interface I visited bugged out and had no text when I clicked on it. Reloading didn't change anything. Hope Nada can find me a working one to go to instead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

...WHAT? Next thing you'll tell me it doesn't even need a cadmium drive.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The freighter is more fuel efficient than a stock spaceship but it's forever limited to a 100 LY range and warp fuel is super easy to make. I think it can travel to blue star systems though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I only have 3 warp drive upgrades in my tech slots, and it only costs me 5% per jump, i would imagine putting 3 more in the reg slots could give me 2.5% per jump, and 20% per warp cell, so 8 jumps per cell and ~2000ly jump range

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I’m gonna do creative mode since this game has more grind than a Minecraft mod pack but a quarter of the fun grinding. I’m scared of cheating myself out of an experience here but the game is in danger of me shelving it forever.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Some things that helped me stop having to mine so much: getting rich af off quantum processors soeverything save carbon is very easily obtained, and carbon can be made by refining frostwort since they grow so fast, 1:2. Just sucks that the game turns into picking plants instead of shooting plants

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My underwater base is full of water :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I think it does? I might be misremembering though.

Ammonia does not fluff. Ammonia + Oxygen refines into fungal clusters at 1:2.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thundarr posted:

The freighter is more fuel efficient than a stock spaceship but it's forever limited to a 100 LY range and warp fuel is super easy to make. I think it can travel to blue star systems though.

It can travel to any star system near as I can tell.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Kind of run out of things to entertain myself and I don't think I have it in me to grind to the center of the galaxy. Looking at like 330 jumps if I'm efficient... That's like 8-10 hours of grinding. Would be nice if there was a quest and/or something important every 100k light years for a little motivation.

Still got a solid 40 hours or so out of it. There's so much potential here, I kind of wish I waited another 2 years or whenever they claim the game is finished to play it for more content and polish.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I decided to push ahead and finish the Artemis quest.

Hey, new galaxy! Let's make it ruthless, I've got the resources to deal with it.

All my stuff broke. No problem, I have a mountain of materials on me. Wait, half of my mods that broke just delete themselves entirely when repaired? Things are not off to a good start in Calypso Galaxy, but it seems bugs are eternal in NMS.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

Kind of run out of things to entertain myself and I don't think I have it in me to grind to the center of the galaxy. Looking at like 330 jumps if I'm efficient... That's like 8-10 hours of grinding. Would be nice if there was a quest and/or something important every 100k light years for a little motivation.

Still got a solid 40 hours or so out of it. There's so much potential here, I kind of wish I waited another 2 years or whenever they claim the game is finished to play it for more content and polish.

Use portals to reach the core, my friend.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Why does Polo keep giving me mod rewards with +1% or even -1% on them? Is he supposed to be completely useless aside from turning that poo poo into free Technology Upgrades? I did once get a +12% life support mod I guess...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So not only did I find out tonight that you can summon your ships to you (including ones you didn't land in), you can also summon your freighter into LEO/high atmo like your captain is going to do the friggin' Adama Maneuver.

There's supposed to be a gun in my hand, but I like the idea that I'm just gesturing like "what the hell?"

Also I moved my main base to a new planet, because it's super pretty with only the occasional boiling storm, and also because some creepo managed to get the planet I had been building on to be registered as discovered by him, and I know drat well I had uploaded it long before. Turned off network play after I found that out.

e: So that exotic ship I found, its photon cannon slot is disconnected from everything else. If I were to load three S-class photon upgrades onto it, would they still boost the damage but just not as much as if they all connected?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait, upgrades have different effects if you put them near the thing they're upgrading?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

So not only did I find out tonight that you can summon your ships to you (including ones you didn't land in), you can also summon your freighter into LEO/high atmo like your captain is going to do the friggin' Adama Maneuver.

How do you do this?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Soonmot posted:

How do you do this?

From your quick menu, hit X if you're on PC. I haven't tried it away from my base yet.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Soonmot posted:

How do you do this?

You just summon a freighter from the ground

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Good that they're focusing on bug fixing and performance improvement. Patch inbound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCeBn_R83N4

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This million unit plant I got from a frigate mission...save for farming or sell?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Jaxyon posted:

This million unit plant I got from a frigate mission...save for farming or sell?

Is it a green commodity? Like the background of the icon is predominately green. If so it’s only use is to sell for units.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Upgrade placement matters?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Upgrade placement matters?

Yes, place them next to the thing you're upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiZl6B7edGU

Welp, the rings of this planet are being rendered through everything else.