Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

navyjack posted:

What are her Words right now? She has FALL for her domain, but does she have others we’ve seen since she went full Winter?

No. And she hasn't used Fall for her domain since going full Winter, she's just used her domain without any Aspects invoked.

I edited most of that post out because it was pretty speculative and not really thought out, in case anyone was wondering.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

21 Muns posted:

God, we get it, you don't like the story, you don't need to comment on every loving chapter with some kind of spin on how you don't like it and it's bad writing on WB's part. A large number of your complaints amount to "why is there superhero intrigue in this superhero intrigue story", and now we've gotten to the point where you're mad that the story did something you wanted it to do because it tied into the aforementioned superhero intrigue.

lol

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

21 Muns posted:

God, we get it, you don't like the story, you don't need to comment on every loving chapter with some kind of spin on how you don't like it and it's bad writing on WB's part. A large number of your complaints amount to "why is there superhero intrigue in this superhero intrigue story", and now we've gotten to the point where you're mad that the story did something you wanted it to do because it tied into the aforementioned superhero intrigue.

Sheesh man, it's just a silly online story- sorry if I offended, I would've stopped discussing it sooner if I'd known it was annoying anyone.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Being upset at the direction Ward is heading is perfectly fine (and totally understandable imo), and I'm of the opinion that more posting about a story is almost always better then less, so let's not shame people for sharing their opinions unless they're obviously trolling or whatever.

That being said, it isn't like this was difficult to forsee, considering that Panacea is one of the strongest non-combat parahumans alive and a masterclass tinker who doesn't suffer from tinker drawbacks, it's only logical she'd be wrapped up in this poo poo. I mean, part of the Worm epilogue is Teacher trying to recruit her, that isn't even foreshadowing that's just straight up "hey this is going to be a thing in the sequel", which is one of the big things I don't like about the epilogue.

Personally, I'm pretty pumped. Alongside 'what the gently caress is Chris' deal,' the Vic/Amy situation (maybe extend that to Vic's whole family life? I really hope the parents try to butt somehow, why half-rear end the trainwreck) is one of the things I'm looking forward to most. It is kind of telling that I could take or leave most of the actual 'main' plot, I know WB is trying to avoid constant escalation here but it isn't really playing to his strengths tbh. I was genuinely disappointed when the portals expanding didn't have more serious, immediate consequences, and I'm kind of on the precipice of getting annoyed with the overall pace. I mean, there's a slow burn and then there's just waiting for things to happen.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 12, 2018

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Being upset at the direction Ward is heading is perfectly fine (and totally understandable imo), and I'm of the opinion that more posting about a story is almost always better then less, so let's not shame people for sharing their opinions unless they're obviously trolling or whatever.

Honestly, my problem with Omi no Kami's posts isn't that they're negative, it's that they actually play directly into the problems I've been having with Ward, just in reverse - so it comes off like their posts are very consistently punishing the story for improving and wishing that it had stayed stuck in a ditch. Based on the problems Ward was having earlier on, I'm entirely willing to believe that WB would take OnK's advice into consideration, and I think it would be to the story's extreme detriment. They hated anything to do with the Fallen, Ward's first serious push into the territory of interesting, high-stakes conflict. Since that plot concluded, they've painted pretty much everything new happening with the same broad brush of "interchangeable conspiracy bullshit" - oh, you mean the part of the story where things are actually happening, as opposed to multiple arcs' worth of characters interminably bantering about nothing? It's like they don't want the story to be "too escalation-happy" by "escalating" into having a story structure other than a slice-of-life psychotherapy blog.

21 Muns fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 13, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anything WB does that isn’t constant escalation + everything somehow always getting worse for the protagonist is A-OK with me.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

This Winter fuckery is closer to the Winter fuckery I've been hoping to see in Practical Guide.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing I find kind of implausible about recent-ish Ward chapters is the fact that these people are having money problems, especially now that they have a big overarching "mission" of sorts that has been passed down to them from the likes of Dragon/Defiant. Like, can't Dragon just be like "yo here's a couple million dollars just to make sure that isn't an issue" (Dragon by necessity must be extremely rich just to fund the production of her mechs)? It feels goofy that, in such a high stakes situation, they aren't just being provided at least *something* from some authority, whether Dragon (this is the most plausible one) or Citrine or something.

Presumably the military-ish organization Crystal joined is funded as such, but you'd assume there'd also be some fund set aside from other general non-villain cape activities, especially given how few capes there are (particularly after Golden Morning). I can't imagine there's more than a few thousand left.

edit: The thing that brought on this post is the part where Auzure mentions being paid $200 a day as an example amount. That's peanuts when you consider this is a team we're talking about, but it also makes it clear that even the more established teams like that are stressed enough financially that they have to account for that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 13, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The thing that brought on this post is the part where Auzure mentions being paid $200 a day as an example amount. That's peanuts when you consider this is a team we're talking about, but it also makes it clear that even the more established teams like that are stressed enough financially that they have to account for that.

I could be completely wrong, but in that case I was kind of assuming that Earth G Funbux don't translate 1:1 with Earth OG dollars. If a corporate team is actually earning less then minimum wage each then they're pretty bad at the 'corporate' part.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I could be completely wrong, but in that case I was kind of assuming that Earth G Funbux don't translate 1:1 with Earth OG dollars. If a corporate team is actually earning less then minimum wage each then they're pretty bad at the 'corporate' part.

Yeah, that's probably true, but regardless my point still stands that it's dumb money is even a serious concern, at least ever since the "you guys need to deal with the invasion" thing from Dragon.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
New Ward interlude: I find it interesting that we're seeing the smaller villain groups of Gimel get repeatedly thwarted this arc. Also wonder who paid the villains to go for Kenzie, it seems a little brutish/counterproductive for the anti-Parahuman faction following the talkshow. Though I guess we don't know much about the true motives of Gary's sponsor.

Kenzie really is the scariest matchmaker.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Insurrectionist posted:

New Ward interlude: I find it interesting that we're seeing the smaller villain groups of Gimel get repeatedly thwarted this arc. Also wonder who paid the villains to go for Kenzie, it seems a little brutish/counterproductive for the anti-Parahuman faction following the talkshow.

Hmm, where have we seen behavior like this before? :iiam:

Insurrectionist posted:

Totally.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Insurrectionist posted:

New Ward interlude: I find it interesting that we're seeing the smaller villain groups of Gimel get repeatedly thwarted this arc. Also wonder who paid the villains to go for Kenzie, it seems a little brutish/counterproductive for the anti-Parahuman faction following the talkshow. Though I guess we don't know much about the true motives of Gary's sponsor.

the go at kenzie failed intentionally and is a rallying point for the cape unity group. probably designed and funded by tt

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

the go at kenzie failed intentionally and is a rallying point for the cape unity group. probably designed and funded by tt

Last time TT organized an attack like this we got confirmation that the villains knew what they were doing and were very careful to not even really injure the heroes they were fighting. All of a sudden they're inflicting heavy wounds to civilians when they didn't need to in the slightest? This isn't even a Rain deal where it was 'justified' for the greater good or revenge or whatever, it was actively detrimental if this attack was intended to fail at capturing Kenzie.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh. This wandering inn chapter was baaaaaad. Faeries are dumb and that chapter was dumber. Laken halfassed the poo poo out of a banquet and almost killed a bunch of teenagers and there are no consequences. Faeries are actively abducting and eating guests but they’re still somehow abiding by guest rules??? Ugh.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Yea I haven't enjoyed this Emperor interlude at all. Take me back to Liscor please.

PS. Affi is posting about the Patreon chapter, if anyone is confused.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Last time TT organized an attack like this we got confirmation that the villains knew what they were doing and were very careful to not even really injure the heroes they were fighting. All of a sudden they're inflicting heavy wounds to civilians when they didn't need to in the slightest? This isn't even a Rain deal where it was 'justified' for the greater good or revenge or whatever, it was actively detrimental if this attack was intended to fail at capturing Kenzie.

yeah i guess none of those warlords would really be cool with cutting up a human woman huh.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah i guess none of those warlords would really be cool with cutting up a human woman huh.

yeah, they wouldn't

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Silynt posted:

Yea I haven't enjoyed this Emperor interlude at all. Take me back to Liscor please.

PS. Affi is posting about the Patreon chapter, if anyone is confused.

Normally I like Laken chapters but I agree, I felt like there was some potential from the first parts but the resolution didn't feel right to me. I'm still curious where his character is actually going, but with everything else happening in the world I am far more interested in other things right now.

Affi posted:

Faeries are actively abducting and eating guests but they’re still somehow abiding by guest rules??? Ugh.

The guest rules only applied to the area they were in, luring a guest out removed any of the protections. Pretty typical Fae stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do we know exactly what the really big hitters like Valkyrie are up to in Ward? I know they're dealing with some bigger threat, but which is that? We know it's not the invasion, and it can't be Goddess either.

Honestly, I have a hard time thinking of what could possibly be more dangerous than Goddess. Goddess's power is almost as dangerous as Taylor as Khepri, in that she can make other parahumans serve under her, and it seems like you'd want to send one of the few people who could potentially take her on (like Valkyrie, who is downright ridiculous now that she's basically as strong as Eidolon + two other storng capes) to nip that in the bud.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Do we know exactly what the really big hitters like Valkyrie are up to in Ward? I know they're dealing with some bigger threat, but which is that? We know it's not the invasion

Do we know that? If it's a secret shadow war and the really big hitters like Valkyrie are doing things secretly in the shadows, then it seems reasonable to me that those two things would be related.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They're off dealing with the Big Bad Thing that everyone in-universe knows about but hasn't been mentioned on-screen yet because reasons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Shortest Path posted:

They're off dealing with the Big Bad Thing that everyone in-universe knows about but hasn't been mentioned on-screen yet because reasons.

there are at least a few Big Bad Things

the Machine Army's actually probably somewhat high on the list

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Affi posted:

Ugh. This wandering inn chapter was baaaaaad. Faeries are dumb and that chapter was dumber. Laken halfassed the poo poo out of a banquet and almost killed a bunch of teenagers and there are no consequences. Faeries are actively abducting and eating guests but they’re still somehow abiding by guest rules??? Ugh.

If you are posting spoilers from the Patreon chapter, please mark it as such.

That said, the non-Patreon chapter is pretty bad too. It was entirely unnecessary to have the chapter explained to us at the start by Magnolia. The trainwreck went on too long without anything about it itself being interesting, before Laken figured out not to follow Lady Rie's ideas blindly.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cinara posted:

The guest rules only applied to the area they were in, luring a guest out removed any of the protections. Pretty typical Fae stuff.

That poo poo went down inside the designated area. People got hurt p badly inside the meadow, see the guy needing a healing potion. We know this because it’s explicable pointes out by Ivoleth that anyone leaving would disappear maybe forever.

Just a dumb portrayal and Sacra should activate the ring and blow Laken away and then herself after offing Flos and Magnolia

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there are at least a few Big Bad Things

the Machine Army's actually probably somewhat high on the list

Yeah, even putting aside the threats introduced in Ward, we’ve lost track of a lot of heavy hitters since the end of Worm.Sleeper, Simurgh, the Three Blasphemies... the Breed/Crawler clone could be an S-Level threat by now, depending on how it’s powers work... probably more that I’m forgetting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's no reason to think Simurgh is still a threat I don't think, and I'd still absolutely rank Goddess above all of those except possibly Sleeper (just due to knowing nothing about them). I mean, she took over a planet.

The machine army is an interesting threat in that I feel like a normal human military is better suited to dealing with it than parahumans. Parahumans are usually limited in their ability to (directly) do massive widescale damage, likely because of the Entities' desire to keep conflict between parahumans small-scale. Most powers are unlikely to be better at "destroying large numbers of things" than plain old military explosives.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Omi no Kami posted:

I think I've gone through most of topwebfiction's higher-ranked stuff, so it's hit the point where a lot of what I haven't read looks reaaally questionable. Any recommendations that they're missing? I liked Worm, loved Twig, PracGuide is super-fun, Mother of Learning has writing issues but I'm super invested. Couldn't get past Wandering Inn's first chapter because of the poor writing, hate anything the avoiding death on a daily basis guy wrote, touched, or even looked at funny.
I like Worth the Candle and The Daily Grind. They're both LitRPG's though. Worth the Candle I think has pretty strong writing for a web serial (although the combination of being a LitRPG and wearing its "rational" bent on its sleeve won't fit everyone's tastes), Daily Grind is closer to average.

Also, holy poo poo at the recent Worth the Candle update (113-118): RIP Fenn :(. I really liked the therapy chapter, too.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Cicero posted:

Also, holy poo poo at the recent Worth the Candle update (113-118): RIP Fenn :(. I really liked the therapy chapter, too.

Well gently caress

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Worth the candle Guess we’re invading hell?

That was a good final chapter.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PracGuide: In which Thief continues to prove she is incompetent at murder.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Not gonna lie, I’m super lost right now with PracGuide. I’m hoping after this Keter arc is over, I can go reread it in one go and sort things out.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

navyjack posted:

Not gonna lie, I’m super lost right now with PracGuide. I’m hoping after this Keter arc is over, I can go reread it in one go and sort things out.

If it's about all the simultaneous plans, I think that's intended. The truth is Catherine doesn't know what's going on with those, by design, so the Skein can't use its abilities to figure out what the gently caress is going on quite as easily. If it's about why they need to murder Malicia, it's because they prefer the Dead King on Catherine's leash rather than Malicia's. Whether the Dead King does in fact need an invitation or anything to do his thing, as they think, we don't actually know so it's entirely possible that any leash is formed entirely of wishes and gumdrops.

The entire scenario is, I think, an attempt by the Dead King to push Catherine towards certain ways of looking at the world as well as a test. Neshamah probably doesn't actually care about occupying almost all of Procer all that much. In fact, there is a chance he even wants to avoid that. I don't think it's a coincidence that Catherine is figuring out a bunch of neat new tricks with her Winter powers right now based on realizations about how her body doesn't actually matter and isn't even a real body, and if it isn't a real body then certain thing only selectively apply, etc. Whether he actually believes Catherine is important to his long term goals or if it's just scientific curiosity I couldn't tell you.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

ward so dinah ordered the attack on kenzies house? it happened same day as the tv show and scapegoat is waking up day after, which is when teacher found out about it so that means it was not him, its unlikely to have been tt or marquis or nu cauldron due to morality and also it being a failure.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's heavily implied that Dinah is behind Gary Nieves, dunno about the attack though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm for a chapter focused on conspiratory multiverse machinations it was surprisingly gratifying if only because it gave us some answers as to what the most mysterious big bad candidate is up to and tied some factions together. I still don't feel like I have a great grasp on Scapegoat though, I definitely see why he turned villain from his thoughts and monologues this chapter but I don't really see why he'd join the Fallen specifically. All his thoughts basically amounted to 'gently caress being selfless it got me nowhere and everyone gets hosed eventually anyway' and while I guess it's a nihilistic outlook that matches with the Fallen I never saw anything else that fit their MO. And from how Teacher talked about it he apparently wasn't one of their important capes either which combined with his undercover position meant he couldn't have gotten much out of it in the way of cushy luxuries or material rewards.

Also it's funny that this chapter implying that Goddess just Isn't That Bad You Guys just made me somehow more convinced that she and Amy partnering up will mean bad news. It has to be intentional that every time we've seen Amy in Ward, the takeaway for the reader is very ambiguous. The first time least so since she was intruding over Victoria's boundaries but there were still nuances. The second time hanging out with monsters and that final line people argued about. And showing up with Goddess inviting theories from 'she's planning to take over the world and keep Vicky for herself!' to 'awww what a cute date'. Honestly, seeing how Wildbow ends up handling Amy narratively in Ward is at least as interesting to me as Amy herself as a character, given all the different themes of Worm and Ward that her and Victoria's relationship plays into.

E: Also I'm wondering at Dinah's plans too but her not giving a poo poo about capes isn't exactly very surprising given not only all the poo poo she went through in Worm, but also her attitude towards capes through the story. That said obviously 'cape-racist' is way too silly and simplistic a motivation for a seer so who knows what her plans are, I'm just not surprised that she'd use these methods is all.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerSpook posted:

If it's about all the simultaneous plans, I think that's intended. The truth is Catherine doesn't know what's going on with those, by design, so the Skein can't use its abilities to figure out what the gently caress is going on quite as easily.

From what I understand, the Skein basically has access to the same sort of information we have access to as the readers of the story. So if we're confused it also means he's confused, so plan successful I guess.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Also I'm wondering at Dinah's plans too but her not giving a poo poo about capes isn't exactly very surprising given not only all the poo poo she went through in Worm, but also her attitude towards capes through the story. That said obviously 'cape-racist' is way too silly and simplistic a motivation for a seer so who knows what her plans are, I'm just not surprised that she'd use these methods is all.

Dinah sees that stoking brain parasite prejudice leads to x, whatever x is. Probably Victoria spilling the beans on the multidimensional alien invasion was a goal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Finally catching back up on Ward after giving it a few weeks so I could push through the uncomfortable stuff all at once.

I'm still on Interlude 8.x but I spoiled myself with this thread, if Dinah is behind stuff that makes sense but also makes it quite a dangerous gamble on her part, right? Her power gives her percentages and probabilities, not exact narratives... if stoking anti-parahuman sentiment lead to decreased probability of a specific bad event happening in the future, which seems likely, it's still only an unclear picture of what the exact thing wanted is or how bad things could get if it doesn't work out. She's had a lot of time to ask a lot of questions and refine that further, but pushing big dominoes is still a dangerous move. I know precogs cancel each other out so they can't usually refine each other's predictions, but TT isn't a precog so it'd make sense if Dinah was working with her to pinpoint important information, right?

EDIT: Ah, I see. So this is shaping up as something between Goddess and Teacher right now, and a lot of other stuff getting sucked into that.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Rain's tinker specialization is the sort of thing that is kind of lovely on its own but would be extremely useful for other tinkers (like Kenzie) to "absorb" (since it seems like it basically lets you attach things to you and use them as an extension of your body).

Speaking of which, it was mentioned Kenzie studied Rain's tech to make her hair bun eye things, but is Rain just too lovely of a tinker to really gain anything from studying her tech?