Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Risu's been posting about bad fan comics, including Multiverse and Toyotaro's AF. This one though, this one's...special.

https://twitter.com/RosauraGerissen/status/1029854192817594368

Just read her replies for more panels, this is the edgiest one I've seen yet. Insane, though definitely not in a good way. NIGHT SOUL VEGETA is the edgiest form.

I'll defend multiverse to the death as "Doing exactly what it set out to do."

poo poo that was the best Dragonball we had available for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Natural 20 posted:

poo poo that was the best Dragonball we had available for years.

You do realize how horribly depressing this post is, right?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You do realize how horribly depressing this post is, right?

Yes.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bulma's best look was when she dressed up like Roz from Frasier

Give me soccer mom on the left, 80's feathered mullet on the right!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That manga is a concentrated version of everything stupid about the DBZ fanbase.

I love it.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Risu's been posting about bad fan comics, including Multiverse and Toyotaro's AF. This one though, this one's...special.

Just read her replies for more panels, this is the edgiest one I've seen yet. Insane, though definitely not in a good way. NIGHT SOUL VEGETA is the edgiest form.

https://twitter.com/RosauraGerissen/status/1029870471951601666

Dammit Uub, you flipped his Morality Switch back to "Evil!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://mobile.twitter.com/RosauraGerissen/status/1029928316214697984

:lol:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Must had struck

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

https://twitter.com/RosauraGerissen/status/1029865205927428096

:yeshaha:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that the arc that introduced power levels also firmly and repeatedly established that they are at best unreliable, largely useless, and often actively misleading.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like that the arc that introduced power levels also firmly and repeatedly established that they are at best unreliable, largely useless, and often actively misleading.

Yeah. Power levels primarily exist so a villain can go "But... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" before exploding, but there's this weird section of the fanbase that takes them as holy writ, and feels that every fight should, ultimately, boil down to who has bigger numbers.

Super moving further into "Yeah, power levels are bullshit" to the point where Android 17 ranging the HELL out of some parks made him THE STRONGEST IN THE MULTIVERSE seems to have infuriated some of them, which, won't lie, amused me to no end.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

"Bulma gave me power level vision so I can at all times objectively quantify our strength and work out the math behind it" is peak dragonball fandom.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gruckles posted:

"Bulma gave me power level vision so I can at all times objectively quantify our strength and work out the math behind it" is peak dragonball fandom.

It's even better bc Vegeta realized immediately they scouters are useless garbage

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I hope there's a part where someone's power level gets so high that Vegeta's contact lenses explode.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raz74lW43Q
I first saw a video of this story complete with interruptions of a scouter beeping like crazy and powerlevels being 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. Power levels primarily exist so a villain can go "But... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" before exploding, but there's this weird section of the fanbase that takes them as holy writ, and feels that every fight should, ultimately, boil down to who has bigger numbers.

Super moving further into "Yeah, power levels are bullshit" to the point where Android 17 ranging the HELL out of some parks made him THE STRONGEST IN THE MULTIVERSE seems to have infuriated some of them, which, won't lie, amused me to no end.

within fiction, it's pretty wild that 17 can match up with Super Saiyan Blue. like, does that mean that as of when Beerus first showed up, 17 would have given him a better run for his money? he would have beaten Golden Frieza?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Maybe there'd be less of that if every fight didn't usually boil down to bigger numbers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

chiasaur11 posted:

What you didn't know was that park ranger uniforms are actually weighted training clothes!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

grieving for Gandalf posted:

within fiction, it's pretty wild that 17 can match up with Super Saiyan Blue. like, does that mean that as of when Beerus first showed up, 17 would have given him a better run for his money? he would have beaten Golden Frieza?

or like, how strong was he during the whole Majin Buu thing?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Android #17 was already one of the strongest beings in the universe just from Dr. Gero's mad science. Actual training on top of that made him a true force to be reckoned with.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If you think about it, it was Dr. Gero who saved the multiverse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonne posted:

If you think about it, it was Dr. Gero who saved the multiverse.

Behold the power of one man's hate boner

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Raxivace posted:

Android #17 was already one of the strongest beings in the universe just from Dr. Gero's mad science. Actual training on top of that made him a true force to be reckoned with.

Like Frieza!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I miss dragon ball

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/SeclusiveBlue/status/1029935264720924672?s=19

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That comic is obviously really lame, but I do like the idea of Vegeta getting dragged by all the people Goku trained with. Dragonball has always promoted the idea of trainers being really important, even if they aren't strong themselves.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched Dead Zone. Dead Zone is good.

It's extremely non-canon. Gohan's characterization is off, Kami knew another Namekian in the past, it presents Goku and Chichi as having a strong emotional bond, it treats Namekians as demons instead of aliens, etc.

But it's a fun little adventure, the animation is fantastic, the backgrounds look like they were done by that painter that is the one painter goons know, it's got good action, some good funny bits, Gohan gets off his brain on psychedelic apples, the like two shots of armies of demons being raised that don't matter at all in the plot are really great, Krillin gets a very heroic entrance for some reason.

I recommend Dead Zone

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's extremely non-canon. Gohan's characterization is off, Kami knew another Namekian in the past, it presents Goku and Chichi as having a strong emotional bond, it treats Namekians as demons instead of aliens, etc.

But it's a fun little adventure, the animation is fantastic, the backgrounds look like they were done by that painter that is the one painter goons know, it's got good action, some good funny bits, Gohan gets off his brain on psychedelic apples, the like two shots of armies of demons being raised that don't matter at all in the plot are really great, Krillin gets a very heroic entrance for some reason.

I recommend Dead Zone

Dead Zone & World's Strongest are gorgeous looking and extremely Dragon Ball. I can only recommend about 4 of the DBZ era movies and those are two of them.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was reading through her coverage of Multiverse. I'd forgotten just how much they conflated goriness & edginess with quality.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 17, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I recommend Dead Zone

Straight up, dead zone was the first thing I ever saw relating to Dragon Ball. I got a VHS of the movie from my late uncle. It was a legit film and it got me interested in the entire franchise.

So I second the recommendation even though everyone here has already seen it like a thousand times.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I recommend Dead Zone
Hey you take that back, I'm a goon who knows TWO entire painters because I had to do a report on a local artist when I was in grade school...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dead Zone and World Strongest are weird because they are one of the few DBZ movies that feel like actual stories. The rest are retreads or just nonsense leading to a fight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like the Tapion movie has something resembling a story too with an entirely ill-fitting ending though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Raxivace posted:

I feel like the Tapion movie has something resembling a story too with an entirely ill-fitting ending though.

That’s fair, if the ending had literally anything to do with the story I would rate it up with the first two.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Raxivace posted:

Wrath of the Dragon is a fun romp that is undermined by going full gently caress YOU GOKU RULES at the end. It's not even about Goku, Trunks is actually the protagonist of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I recommend Dead Zone

The one painter... ah!

So that's why they all had "This is not a Dead Zone" written on them!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/EmperorBigD/status/1030316532465848320

Mr. Satan :negative:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dead zone treats namekians like demons because it was from when piccolo was still considered a demon. that was his role in og dragon ball

that sucks

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Really friggin sucks, he was the perfect voice for The Champ. He always captured his incompetent, but passionate and loving soul perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP