Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EC posted:

More details plz. I still don't have all the recipes I need yet but I'm working towards this essentially. Not on my freighter until I find a bigger/better boi though.

Some of the intermediate steps for the most valuable crafted items require the plants that are unique to the various biomes (solanium, cactus flesh, gamma weed etc). It's kind of a hassle to hunt them all down by hand every time I want to make stuff. SoI parked by a station in a wealthy system for easy access to mats and built a large room in my freighter with rows of hydroponics bays for each of the main plants. 24 plants each, and another 16 each for coprite and mordite.

You'll need to set up some miners for stuff like cobalt and nitrogen if you want to be able to make a full factory (or just raid depots constantly for the stuff the cobalt and nitrogen make) but the plants are a big part of it.

And you can of course set up a garden at a base instead of a freighter. Mine is on the ship since I'm kind of a hobo at the moment until Atlas lets me out of the poo poo galaxy I found myself in.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Tsar Mikey posted:

On PC, this should only happen once on first launch after a big patch or if you upgrade your graphics card drivers because it's recompiling the shaders.

Same. Also, for those having stupid low framerate after 1.57 dropped, (re)disable vsync and cap frames at 60 or whatever you want.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Found a cool S-class exotic bug ship sitting in a space station and I just barely had the money to trade in my junker. Made the deal and hopped in, checked out the 3rd person camera and blasted off to go test it out.

10 seconds later the game crashed and now I'm back to my old crappy fighter and haven't seen the bug ship since. :smith: I understand it's tied to the star system and might stop by the station again someday but sitting here waiting isn't real compelling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ratzap posted:

There are 2 both called the same thing. One looks like the cannon and the other looks like the infra knife. The cannon one does something like 11% cooling - utter rubbish. he knife one adds a third cannon shot I think, seems ok for a slot cost. The S class ones are garbage too, 3% damage etc.

I installed the third cannon one and it didn't do anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BrainMeats posted:

Found a cool S-class exotic bug ship sitting in a space station and I just barely had the money to trade in my junker. Made the deal and hopped in, checked out the 3rd person camera and blasted off to go test it out.

10 seconds later the game crashed and now I'm back to my old crappy fighter and haven't seen the bug ship since. :smith: I understand it's tied to the star system and might stop by the station again someday but sitting here waiting isn't real compelling.

Go to a trade post, save and reload. The game will spawn 6-10 ships right at the start and they'll either land or orbit around until theres a spot for them to land. Keep reloading until the exotic shows up as one of those ships. You can also do this for any other ship you see and like and roll for them to show up as an A or S variant.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Atlas path seems to have permanently bugged out on me. When I complete it, it just directs me to a black hole (but seems to guarantee a "save the capital freighter" fight) and then reverts back to the last step the next time I reload.

On the bright side, it seems that plugging the first rune 12 times into a portal seems to put you within spitting distance of the core no matter what galaxy you're in.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Harry Lime posted:

sigh, maybe someday when I rescue another S class freighter I'll actually be able to afford it...

Wow, so they do exist.

:thunk:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Thundarr posted:

On the bright side, it seems that plugging the first rune 12 times into a portal seems to put you within spitting distance of the core no matter what galaxy you're in.

I did this without understanding the glyphs or portals and thought I'd stranded myself on the cosmic equivalent of 111-111-1111. It seems to be a popular place, I kept running into player orbs. Lousy space station

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Scanning fauna in the sky is such a pain in my rear end. Any tips? Also patch 1.57 is up for PC. https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/08/next-patch-1-57/

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Scanning fauna in the sky is such a pain in my rear end. Any tips? Also patch 1.57 is up for PC. https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/08/next-patch-1-57/

Use the mouse. Same for mining.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been scavenging for manufacturing facilities and salvage components all day and I think I’m almost done with all the loving blueprints. I’m so loving glad they made it so you dont get nanites from salvage parts anymore because I would have rage quit from it by now. I looked into stasis chamber farming and I’m still short around 5 recipes before I can even begin so I’ll have to start looking into that. I did however managed to get a frigate fleet going so now I have like 7 and 2 command centers to send them off in missions. The whole “land on them to get materials” is loving awesome and mentioned NOWHERE but I can also see it get really annoying once you have a couple dozen frigates. Streamlining the whole process or making all management take place in the freighter would be better. If you could automate any part of the process it’d be a dream.

Just keep slowly making X3, Hello Games.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 18, 2018

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Decided my first base aesthetic is someone dropped a bunch of used shipping containers on a planet.

No Questions Discount "Indium"

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Xenosmilus posted:

Not sure if it's the same issue, but I got stuck on that one with no quest marker, then realised that I had two quests in my log, one general quest about getting an armorer, and one more specific subquest for getting the armorer.

I had to select the more specific quest to get the marker, it wouldn't work while I had the other quest selected.

Thank you! Very happy it wasn't bugged and I'm just a dumb dumb.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hey I just did my first warp jump and when I got to the station I was gifted an A Class Multitool Rifle with 18 slots - improved damage and mining. However it has 10 slots of damaged/junk poo poo. Some of the repairs are just chromatic metal but the rest are tech modules, etc. I know repairing simply opens the slot. Is it worth repairing this early or just wait for a cleaner multitool?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

magiccarpet posted:

Hey I just did my first warp jump and when I got to the station I was gifted an A Class Multitool Rifle with 18 slots - improved damage and mining. However it has 10 slots of damaged/junk poo poo. Some of the repairs are just chromatic metal but the rest are tech modules, etc. I know repairing simply opens the slot. Is it worth repairing this early or just wait for a cleaner multitool?

Repair the easy ones and then wait for a better tool.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Ratzap posted:

There are 2 both called the same thing. One looks like the cannon and the other looks like the infra knife. The cannon one does something like 11% cooling - utter rubbish. he knife one adds a third cannon shot I think, seems ok for a slot cost. The S class ones are garbage too, 3% damage etc.

I'll have to disagree on all counts, the nonlinear optics mod that has an infra knife icon is in fact actually just an infra knife mod mislabel. Didn't notice any effect, has no adjacency bonuses to the cannon.

I figure since the photon cannon is non-removable the slot it occupies doesn't really count as a usable slot, maxing it out only takes 4 slots while other weapons take 5

Approximately the S upgrades do +8-9% dmg each as well as both fire rate and cooling +3%, which I'm assuming are stacked additively along with that 11% cooling which is actually fairly good and your shots turn purple to boot.

However this is a chill game and obsessing over stats is optional

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Joe Mantis posted:

However this is a chill game and obsessing over stats is optional

Gamers come from a culture of pursuing optimal builds.

That said, I'm completely amazed at the output of dialing down the terrain manipulator volume. Blowing away a single medium-sized, not deep indium deposit netted about a thousand instead of a couple hundred.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wait you can reduce the size of the terrain manipulator beam? I thought you could only do that in create mode, not mining mode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You “can.”

It’s buggy and broken and 90% of the time it won’t let me

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

18 Character Limit posted:

Gamers come from a culture of pursuing optimal builds.

No. What you do is not normal. It is pathological.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

No. What you do is not normal. It is pathological.

Like in all big groups, there are people who enjoy different things. Some enjoy exploration, some enjoy combat. Some have played Factorio and understand the need to OPTIMIZE OPTIMIZE OPTIMIZE

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Where the hell do you get the ramp blueprint for base doors, having to jump every time is triggering me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Crow posted:

Where the hell do you get the ramp blueprint for base doors, having to jump every time is triggering me.

I think when you research blueprints you’re only allowed like 20 options at a time and as you check one off a new one becomes available, right? I’m almost done researching all of them and door ramps showed up near the end

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I think when you research blueprints you’re only allowed like 20 options at a time and as you check one off a new one becomes available, right? I’m almost done researching all of them and door ramps showed up near the end

Correct and speaking of it, I'm done salvaging. I now have every blueprint from that dumb machine and I finished the base computer questline too so I should now have every building component so I can go all out on my base. Now I just gotta figure out how to break down all this condensed carbon and magnetized ferrite I'm getting from my frigates so I can build with it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Speaking of, one planet had 8 species, but only seemed to spawn flying critters. After an hour of walking around, I broke down and installed a fauna increase mod.

Turns out ALL the land critters were rare.

gently caress that planet.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kikas posted:

Like in all big groups, there are people who enjoy different things. Some enjoy exploration, some enjoy combat. Some have played Factorio and understand the need to OPTIMIZE OPTIMIZE OPTIMIZE

That's not what 18 Character Limit said, though. They attempted to universalize their obsession with min-maxing as a fundamental feature of Gamer culture, which is something that Optimizer gamers (a.k.a. Powergamers, Min-Maxers, Metagaming douchebags, Munchkins, etc.) tend to do. They project their pathology onto other gamers. Often, they will go as far as to puff up their chests and try to argue that their way of approaching video games (and tabletop games for that matter) is the "best way" and that anyone who isn't playing their games in that way is a "filthy casual" or even "bad at the games." They turn optimization into a competition at the expense of their own enjoyment and others' enjoyment. It's actually a huge problem in games.

Goons used to mock these people endlessly for "whipping out their e-peens", but I guess 2018 is a different time. The Munchkins won.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 19, 2018

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure if I was obsessed with min/max, I wouldn't have blown a day just naming poo poo CactusMart for the hell of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When I play stuff I'm usually more worried about "can I screw this up" rather than "how do I make this best", but I still tend to be fascinated by mechanics and how things fit together as part of my Explorer gaming mentality. I think 18CL was defending their own optimization, not op-play as the only goal. They just did it in a way that stems from the optimized play fallacy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

Pretty sure if I was obsessed with min/max, I wouldn't have blown a day just naming poo poo CactusMart for the hell of it.

seems legit

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If/when I go to a new galaxy, do the quest lines reset? Do I get to deal with Artemis walking me through stuff I figured out hours ago again? Or the base overseer's creepypasta pour hour?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Bruceski posted:

If/when I go to a new galaxy, do the quest lines reset? Do I get to deal with Artemis walking me through stuff I figured out hours ago again? Or the base overseer's creepypasta pour hour?

No but all your poo poo will need to be repaired. You keep everything, ships, freighter, multitool, everything as far as I could tell.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
What’s the best/ easiest way to start doing freighter missions? I have a freighter and a trade vessel. Should I hire some frigates?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soonmot posted:

seems legit

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

What’s the best/ easiest way to start doing freighter missions? I have a freighter and a trade vessel. Should I hire some frigates?

Yes. You can send up to 5 per mission and they rank up the more you send them out so don't worry about buying a bunch of C-class frigates.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes. You can send up to 5 per mission and they rank up the more you send them out so don't worry about buying a bunch of C-class frigates.

So a C class can eventually became an S class?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

So a C class can eventually became an S class?

Yes. If you go to fleet management you can see each frigate's stats. Each one keeps track of their own progress for a rank-up based on the number of encounters. The longer the missions, the more encounters the frigates go through. I started with a bunch of C's and now I'm up to 4 B's. As an added bonus, frigate missions are based on real time so you can quit the game and do other poo poo then collect rewards, repair if needed, then send them out again whenever you play again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I run out of blueprints to research in the blueprint analyzer, am I done digging up stupid salvaged tech?

Is it time to build my spaceman cave?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

If I run out of blueprints to research in the blueprint analyzer, am I done digging up stupid salvaged tech?

Is it time to build my spaceman cave?

Yes. Though salvage modules actually sell for good money so doesn't hurt to pick them up if you spot any nearby when scanning other poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

That's not what 18 Character Limit said, though. They attempted to universalize their obsession with min-maxing as a fundamental feature of Gamer culture, which is something that Optimizer gamers (a.k.a. Powergamers, Min-Maxers, Metagaming douchebags, Munchkins, etc.) tend to do. They project their pathology onto other gamers. Often, they will go as far as to puff up their chests and try to argue that their way of approaching video games (and tabletop games for that matter) is the "best way" and that anyone who isn't playing their games in that way is a "filthy casual" or even "bad at the games." They turn optimization into a competition at the expense of their own enjoyment and others' enjoyment. It's actually a huge problem in games.

Goons used to mock these people endlessly for "whipping out their e-peens", but I guess 2018 is a different time. The Munchkins won.

This thing you're doing is much, much weirder than a playful self depricating comment about how gamers be minmaxin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bootcha posted:

Speaking of, one planet had 8 species, but only seemed to spawn flying critters. After an hour of walking around, I broke down and installed a fauna increase mod.

Turns out ALL the land critters were rare.

gently caress that planet.

What fauna mod are you using? Also, are you playing with any other mods atm?

And yeah buried tech modules are 100k a pop, and I think you get 2~3 now