Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A fishing trawler also comes equipped with a good proportion of the equipment you’ll need to sweep for mine’s anyway.

So that plus the wooden hull and the readily available crew makes them great choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’m building one of the model kits I got of eBay last week. While the finished result looks pretty good but the photo etched seatbelts are an absolute pain in the dick to get right but I’m getting the hang of it eventually

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does anybody know how often Revell reissues models? I want to do a NH90 Helicopter (the French Navy variant because my father lives next to the base, thought that'd be a cool present) but every shop seems to be out of stock for the last couple of months.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Ordered and built an Artitec 1:87 scale costal/river tanker. Built it to about 90% completion and gave it a quick paint job, so it can sit in the harbor while I work on putting the rest of the scene into place. Then once the whole area is 'populated' I will go around finishing everything off. Hopefully like this I won't lose any tiny parts like antennas, or tangle up the rigging, or mess up the paint, while working on something nearby.

Potato phone photos, as is tradition. (click for beeg)

Paint needs to be cleaned up, because I was lazy and didn't mask anything, knowing I'd be painting it again in the future.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Furism posted:

Does anybody know how often Revell reissues models? I want to do a NH90 Helicopter (the French Navy variant because my father lives next to the base, thought that'd be a cool present) but every shop seems to be out of stock for the last couple of months.
They kind of do it whenever they feel like it. You'll probably be best off checking the internet TBH.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Furism posted:

You're going to be waiting a long time, probably. Revell (Germany) has a huge backlog of molds so they typically will rerelease a mold every 6 - 10 years or so. Fortunately, Revell sells bag shots to other companies like Italeri, ICM, and sometimes Hasegawa, so the kit might appear again under any one of those brands.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I put some final work in on the Bluenose the other evening before packing everything up for the move. I built a dory and its cradle for the deck; ordinarily eight or more were carried for fishing duties but only one for racing.

And last night as I was putting furniture and other goodies up on the local Facebook marketplace for sale, I got an alert of a wooden ship kit up for sale. The good news is I got this for $60; the bad news is the box is substantially larger than I anticipated. I have resolved not to so much as open it up until the Bluenose is done, which I suspect will be some time early in the new year.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fearless posted:

I put some final work in on the Bluenose the other evening before packing everything up for the move. I built a dory and its cradle for the deck; ordinarily eight or more were carried for fishing duties but only one for racing.

And last night as I was putting furniture and other goodies up on the local Facebook marketplace for sale, I got an alert of a wooden ship kit up for sale. The good news is I got this for $60; the bad news is the box is substantially larger than I anticipated. I have resolved not to so much as open it up until the Bluenose is done, which I suspect will be some time early in the new year.

Which company makes that Bounty kit, I don't see the mfg on the box, but it does look familiar.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Artesania Latina 22810 1/48 HMS Bounty

https://www.ebay.com/p/Artesania-Latina-22810-1-48-HMS-Bounty-Model-Building-Kit/18020469354

300.00 or so

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 22, 2018

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It's got an interior you can build if you so desire. I'm not sure if I want to go down that route though.

Part of me wants to go a little wild on it and complete it as the Prid of Ankh-Morpork but I'm wondering if a galleon wouldn't be better for that purpose.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Discworld's tech level and the visual representation of it is wildly inconsistent, so best bet is to probably do both and mash them together into some nightmare thing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Discworld's tech level and the visual representation of it is wildly inconsistent, so best bet is to probably do both and mash them together into some nightmare thing.

I mean, the Bounty was a merchant ship taken in hand by the RN. It kinda works as-is, as the "fleet" being hammered together in Jingo was a bunch of armed trading vessels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but Discworld being Discworld you've gotta attach some paddlewheels driven by a bunch of trolls with snorkels or something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Add some WWI era howitzers on deck.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Add some WWI era howitzers on deck.

I was thinking Detritus and Piecemaker up in the bow.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but Discworld being Discworld you've gotta attach some paddlewheels driven by a bunch of trolls with snorkels or something.

Or an odd looking submarine attached like a remora to the underside of the hull.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Solid choices.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Looking for advice on stripping chrome from sprue parts. I'm working on a Tamiya 1/6 Honda CB750F, and a number of the sprues are pre-chromed, which really doesn't work for my Alclad addiction.

I've done the usual trick of stripping some parts in Mr Muscle. This has worked for the chrome itself, but it looks like there's a lacquer coat beneath this that just won't shift. Reading around a bunch of forums, there's loads of recommendations for this, but all seem to involve brands I'm assuming are U.S. specific - anyone know of anything available in the UK which will shift the lacquer / varnish coat?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Someone on reddit is clearing out a massive stash. Prices seem pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/comments/97j0em/motherload_opening_bell/?sort=new

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Goddamn, those are some deals. I know shipping over the border is going to gently caress me though.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Looks like they don't have a problem shipping to Canada, maybe you could ask for a rough estimate?
So many of those 1/32 kits are tempting, but I'm not sure I want to deal with a plane that big yet.

You're eyeing that 1/6th Panzer II, aren't you?

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
USPS and Canada Post mesh pretty well, but shipping is very expensive. Still, with those prices it will probably be a decent amount of savings either way.

I only briefly glanced at the deals, but I wouldn't mind a large scale tank...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I thought this was a pretty cool diorama at the IPMS Nationals. The righting of the USS Oklahoma. It was a large diorama, in 1/350 scale.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Actually that’s the parbuckling of the USS Oklahoma

:spergin:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

USPS and Canada Post mesh pretty well, but shipping is very expensive. Still, with those prices it will probably be a decent amount of savings either way.

I only briefly glanced at the deals, but I wouldn't mind a large scale tank...

I sent them a message about some general WWI kits. They really have no idea on how to sort stuff, but they offered to send pics of kits they have yet to list. With your archival knowledge of tanks, you might be able to just ask for pics of the Russian kits and pick them out before they get listed publicly.

They were willing to ship out to some guy in Croatia for a reasonable price. Thats gotta be more expensive than Canada.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I sent them a message, no reply so far. I guess they're taking a weekend off after all that calamity.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Captain is coming along pretty well, the biggest issue is not being able to get a red oil paint that's deep enough to match the acrylic red I have, so the best I could manage with the gloves and boots is a worn leather look. It's not terrible, but I wanted to go for cleaner and more cartoony look.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Really? Winsor & Newton must have a red that would suit your needs.

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/oil-colour/artists-oil-colour
http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/oil-colour/winton-oil-colour

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm using their cadmium red, but it's drying in a really pale and dull colour.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Mig is really getting around

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is it even possible to get mr hobby in the states anymore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is it even possible to get mr hobby in the states anymore

Yes. Uncommon but available.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm using their cadmium red, but it's drying in a really pale and dull colour.

Hmm, not really sure then. Did you put it over a darker base/primer? It might need a white base to really shine. If you can get into a real art store, not just a Michaels, you might be able to ask a pro if there any reds that dry to a brighter more intense color than Cad Red.

And just to clarify, you did a base of acrylic red, and you're using oil red for shading?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, Tamiya X-7 red, coated with Vallejo Mecha Gloss Varnish.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
So I haven't posted here in like years due to "life" taking over. Maybe some of you may remember my past projects.

Anyway I bought some Team Yankee 15mm Chieftain tanks that took my eye. WWIII 1980s represent!

Here we are assembled and then airbrushed and panel shaded black.

Next I will panzer putty off black stripes and add a light green for the main colour.

Let me know what you think.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

So I haven't posted here in like years due to "life" taking over. Maybe some of you may remember my past projects.

Anyway I bought some Team Yankee 15mm Chieftain tanks that took my eye. WWIII 1980s represent!

Here we are assembled and then airbrushed and panel shaded black.

Next I will panzer putty off black stripes and add a light green for the main colour.

Let me know what you think.

I definitely remember your stuff and lamented the day you stopped posting. I'm really looking forward to your Chieftains.

Edit: I crossposted your post to the historicals thread

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb random question: with HO track, do each of the track connectors hook up to an electrified rail?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'm looking to make some etched brass for detailing stuff (I don't have anything particular in mind yet, but I'm considering some random sci-fi bits to add detail to some wargame figure bases), and I wanted to get a better sense of what my options are. It seems like photoetching is the most common solution, but it involves some pretty caustic chemicals. Electro-etching seems simpler overall and doesn't use hydrochloric acid, which is a pretty big plus in my book. However, I'm not sure if it's appropriate for the kind of etching I want (just your standard brass etched scale model stuff, really).

Does anyone here have experience with either/both kinds of etching and the pros/cons of them? I've had a hard time finding a comparison between the two online, especially from a scale modelling perspective.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 2, 2018

Hoyota
Oct 3, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb random question: with HO track, do each of the track connectors hook up to an electrified rail?

One rail is connected to positive, and the other, negative, the locomotive has metal wheels that finish the circuit.

What is the context of your Question?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm looking to make some etched brass for detailing stuff (I don't have anything particular in mind yet, but I'm considering some random sci-fi bits to add detail to some wargame figure bases), and I wanted to get a better sense of what my options are. It seems like photoetching is the most common solution, but it involves some pretty caustic chemicals. Electro-etching seems simpler overall and doesn't use hydrochloric acid, which is a pretty big plus in my book. However, I'm not sure if it's appropriate for the kind of etching I want (just your standard brass etched scale model stuff, really).

Does anyone here have experience with either/both kinds of etching and the pros/cons of them? I've had a hard time finding a comparison between the two online, especially from a scale modelling perspective.

Micro-Mark sells a photo-etch kit. That is the extent of my knowledge of doing this at home for modelling, but they do have a decent reputation for their technical support, so you might be able to contact them and get your questions answered by folks who sell and support the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you're just looking for random pieces of etch to detail, and nothing specific, it's much, much easier just to kitbash and buy some etch sets for other subjects and adapt them to your kit.

Watch Luke Towans vid on home etching. You can get good results and get the exact shapes you want, but it's a monumental pain the rear end for such little result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJsBZWqrN-g