Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Oh, hey, I remember the old "do supervisor work for your supervisors so they'll promote you to supervisor, and then they don't" routine. It super sucks, and you'll probably always resent somebody for it, and you're better off finding something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Pop quiz:

when faced with a pxv valve that's broken in an evap unit do you

A: Over the course of a month, repeatedly not follow up on multiple refrigerator companies to get it fixed.
B: Trust your best friend who says all refrigerator repairmen are crooks and the unit will be fine, despite being completely encased in ice
C: do nothing
D: Gamble and play majohng for your whole shift then donate the cost of a repair to your daughters dance team .

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've noticed that when I'm pissed I work faster so I've started looking for things at work that make me angry.

I don't have to look very hard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I dunno why you'd want to trade your long term health for extra efficiency at work that you will never be rewarded for, but OK. Whatever makes you :feelsgood:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MC Hawking posted:

Pop quiz:

when faced with a pxv valve that's broken in an evap unit do you

A: Over the course of a month, repeatedly not follow up on multiple refrigerator companies to get it fixed.
B: Trust your best friend who says all refrigerator repairmen are crooks and the unit will be fine, despite being completely encased in ice
C: do nothing
D: Gamble and play majohng for your whole shift then donate the cost of a repair to your daughters dance team .
all of the above in order

im the supervisor now

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I guess it's not much of a quiz when every answer is correct :v:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 21, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno why you'd want to trade your long term health for extra efficiency at work that you will never be rewarded for, but OK. Whatever makes you :feelsgood:

I'm not being really serious, but every so often the glowing brain store manager says some dumbshit thing that winds me up and shoots my rear end out on the salesfloor like a loving beyblade, and I get poo poo done fast.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I rolled my ankle on a trash run on Monday and it's driving me insane. Luckily I don't have to do a whole lot of moving but it's embarrassing to be either sitting in a chair at the window doing prep while customers gawk at me, or hopping across the store to grab stuff on one foot.

At least my store manager is allowing me to sit during downtime. She's generally kinda lovely regarding "well, just work through it" with injuries or mental health stuff for all of our crew, so this is nice.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Nevermind.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 22, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

My horrible horrible department head is finally getting transferred. It's been 3 long years of bullshit attempts at emotional abuse specifically targeted at me, and my biggest regret is not blowing the whistle on him for working off the clock when I first started.

Also we are still carrying cherries until our warehouse runs out and, as is custom for the rich old people who live in the area, cherry pits are left everywhere and anywhere. It seems like their favorite spot is within loving arms reach of a goddamn trashcan. I don't know if it's biological inclination or a conspiracy or what, but every day I spend with these people I'm like, "What in the hell is wrong with your brains?"

goddamn

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Work has been going well. Earlier in the week I condensed 10 full excess boxes in one bay down to one almost empty one. I think my boss was hoping that the previous time I did this was a fluke, because he seemed very defeated when he came out and saw the empty overhead. I am enjoying his slowly dawning realisation that the old team actually aren't 'okay' at the job and actually are garbage at it.

Speaking of garbage! Today I came in and found that whoever put stock up last night a) put the excess boxes in the first few aisles (the only things in each overhead) in the wrong spots, b) put stock into the wrong excess boxes (despite putting stock into each of the correct boxes, so it's not even like they saved time by just dumping it all in one box), and c) wrote all the numbers onto the excess boxes in permanent marker instead of whiteboard marker.

I passed it all along officially to my manager, who will pass it on to the nightfill manager. Next time it happens (note there is no 'if'), I'll be going to the security footage to find out who's doing it and going directly to the nightfill manager to request they speak specifically to that person. And then the third time it happens (again, no if), I'll be going directly to my boss with the paper trail of me trying to fix it and everyone repeatedly failing at literally the most basic aspects of their jobs.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Welp, its offical. My store manager is getting promoted. We're getting one of the few managers I'd be ok with having at our store take over, given the other option was that manager's assisstant who would have driven pretty much all of the various managers to quit. My SM told our DM that if that asst was offered the job she'd refuse the promotion rather than have half the store quit. As it stands we have two people leaving with my SM because both were only staying out of personal loyalty to her.

One is our full time driver which hurts because she also did an overwhelming majority of our store layouts, inventory work, etc. The other is a part time driver who has a bunch of health problems and only works 2-3 days a week and takes frequent vacations. It sucks though because he's been in the buisiness for 30+ years and knew most every shop owner on a first name basis, so he was excellent at shop visits and as a standin commercial manager when needed. He also did my first day of training when I was a babby driver after being hired, so I'll miss him.

Possibly leaving is our commercial manager. He was personally recruited by our SM and has known her since she first hired him almost 10 years ago while working for another company. He's done the rounds of every parts house and likes us the best, outside of lovely pay. I know hes finishing up a degree, but the question is does he stay till then, or leave and knock out the remainder full time.

Should be an interesting winter to say the least.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 23, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Also we are still carrying cherries until our warehouse runs out and, as is custom for the rich old people who live in the area, cherry pits are left everywhere and anywhere. It seems like their favorite spot is within loving arms reach of a goddamn trashcan. I don't know if it's biological inclination or a conspiracy or what, but every day I spend with these people I'm like, "What in the hell is wrong with your brains?"

goddamn

I think the same thing. People will get out of their cars, walk past minimum two bins on the way in, and another when they walk into the store, and ask me where a bin is sometimes. And these are people who actually give a poo poo about not just leaving their garbage on the ground in the first place.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I rolled my ankle on a trash run on Monday and it's driving me insane. Luckily I don't have to do a whole lot of moving but it's embarrassing to be either sitting in a chair at the window doing prep while customers gawk at me, or hopping across the store to grab stuff on one foot.

At least my store manager is allowing me to sit during downtime. She's generally kinda lovely regarding "well, just work through it" with injuries or mental health stuff for all of our crew, so this is nice.

Have you reported it as a worker's comp claim? I'm guessing no if you're hopping around at work. She doesn't want you to report it and have your medical costs paid by the employer. I'm not saying you should definitely report it because even though retaliation for those things is prohibited, it's not unheard of. But if you do eventually see a doctor and mention it happened at work, your insurance may not cover it because it should be covered by the employer.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I really really need to find another job. The company wants us to get good score on surveys, that seems to be at the center of company goals. It's impossible to do so when I'm constantly having to stop working to do pointless paperwork, numerous time consuming department walks with management every day, a lengthy meeting once a week, numerous pointless supervisor staff walks multiple times a week. I need that time producing and putting poo poo on shelves in the first place!

Oh, did I mention we're deep into a remodel? Our side of the store is completely ripped up. Thankfully our department is 95% done, but we're still getting hosed by grocery have issues and having poo poo everywhere in the back freezer making it difficult keeping an organized backstock. Deli and Bakery were completely empty yesterday due to new cases. So of course when shoppers get to our department they're pissed.

Believe it or not, the most vocal people on surveys are complaining about adding in more self-checkouts and taking out more traditional cashier run checkouts. They're complaining about "They're taking away your jerbs!!" We're actually adding more services to our store and therefore need to hire more people actually. Old people are poo poo heads.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Devor posted:

Have you reported it as a worker's comp claim? I'm guessing no if you're hopping around at work. She doesn't want you to report it and have your medical costs paid by the employer. I'm not saying you should definitely report it because even though retaliation for those things is prohibited, it's not unheard of. But if you do eventually see a doctor and mention it happened at work, your insurance may not cover it because it should be covered by the employer.

I'm doing better today, so not a huge deal (and if I go to a doctor about it, it'll be because I reinjure it somehow because my balance sucks). My manager is super passive-aggressive-retaliatory, and does it very subtly so it's hard to prove. I just really don't want to deal with her bitching at me.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My home depot is slowly imploding. We've been steadily losing people for the past few months and morale is ridiculously low.

In the past month we've lost 4 cashiers and only one was due to college. Last night we had our closing head cashier quit over some bullshit with an ASM. We've been bleeding people for months and they haven't hired anyone. Im getting more hours than I ever have in the past 2 years but it's not worth it with how little coverage the store has.

what a poo poo show

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
My boss called yesterday, 40 minutes before I set my alarm to ask me to come in at 1pm, because she had to take her daughter to a physical, I was already scheduled to come in at 1. Thanks boss.

In good news, I have today off, and it was the first time in months where I woke up naturally, instead of by an alarm or phone call.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Opening was fun and good until the supervisor that's about to get replaced put me on DT window, the most planted position during peak. I literally did not move from my spot for five loving hours while being yelled at to "pull them up!!" when window times crept towards 40 seconds and I wanted to die.

The other supervisor (who is great and will never be replaced) put me on the most flexible position, so I got to do what I do best. Run around and stock everything and make sure everyone's good and put out any fires. And she knows that the SM is looking at me to replace the other supervisor, so she put me in the best position to show that I'm capable.

The other is a stupid dick and I can't wait til he's gone.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Just found out that after my two days off this weekend I get to work 11 days straight until my next day off. I guess somewhere in the world people have it worse so thank god for unions :v:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Forgot my store was doing a three day clearance sale today... ugggggh. Not everything is on sale you twats, just the clearance stuff.

God drat my customers just get lazier and lazier, like I hate taking stuff to put up myself later/never. If I don't, people will walk to the nearest aisle, out of my line of sight, and just drop it, may be, on a shelf, usually on the floor. That's if it even gets to me, I can fill up a full shopping cart with poo poo people have left around the store every day, and this is a store that thinks it can run with one person all day.

Getting real sick of finding opened poo poo, not stolen mind you, just opened. Trashbags, sandwich bags, socks, tampons, toys, baby wipes, etc. Just an open package, like someone needed to see what was in the package, but didn't want to buy it. I can't roam looking for people doing it either because we're to busy when I'm left alone, and if I have help, I need to stock.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can at least comfort yourself with the knowledge that, whatever harshly worded lies they may tell you about it, management doesn’t give a poo poo about the shrinkage; they’ve done the math and decided it costs less to live with it than to add staff.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Anora posted:

Forgot my store was doing a three day clearance sale today... ugggggh. Not everything is on sale you twats, just the clearance stuff.

God drat my customers just get lazier and lazier, like I hate taking stuff to put up myself later/never. If I don't, people will walk to the nearest aisle, out of my line of sight, and just drop it, may be, on a shelf, usually on the floor. That's if it even gets to me, I can fill up a full shopping cart with poo poo people have left around the store every day, and this is a store that thinks it can run with one person all day.

Getting real sick of finding opened poo poo, not stolen mind you, just opened. Trashbags, sandwich bags, socks, tampons, toys, baby wipes, etc. Just an open package, like someone needed to see what was in the package, but didn't want to buy it. I can't roam looking for people doing it either because we're to busy when I'm left alone, and if I have help, I need to stock.

I hate it when customers do the same thing but I don't have to work that poo poo and even the people that do don't have to do it while alone. God drat, that sucks.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My favorite shelf bullshit is when the customers take butter or yogurt or something and go, "Mmm, well it came out of a fridge, I'll put it back in one!"

And then they stick a gallon of sweet tea in with the frozen french fries and I end up finding a loving solid brown brick of sugar a few hours later.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh since you need to keep produce cool its fine to throw it in the freezers!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

For my department its always potato salad in the freezers. Why potato salad?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

For my department its always potato salad in the freezers. Why potato salad?

Because macaroni salad tastes like rear end?

My foot's better. Said manager pulled me aside the other day and passive-aggressively wanted a doctor's note because I needed to sit for part of the day. Sorry that I strained something in my foot and needed a couple days for it to heal, I'll be sure to get crutches or something more acceptable next time.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Markdowns fish on leaf lettuce is the most masterful execution of not giving a poo poo I have personally witnessed.

Oh and sanitizer wipes from the cart bays on fresh produce is another favorite. Like, not only is it lazy, it's just blind loving spite.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can at least comfort yourself with the knowledge that, whatever harshly worded lies they may tell you about it, management doesn’t give a poo poo about the shrinkage; they’ve done the math and decided it costs less to live with it than to add staff.

This is the correct way to think about it, or indeed anything about retail.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you are working for any large corporation, it is good to always remember that to your employer you are an entry on a spreadsheet, and nothing more.

That can be disheartening, especially the first time the realization strikes you. But it can also be liberating.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Racist lady is getting fired on Tuesday, she went off on a lady because she got cashback when racist put up a sign that said "no cashback." Racist was told not to put up the sign. She was screaming at the lady and telling her "you can't read," in a sing-songy voice. Christ.

Course today, day three of the clearance sale, or as I like to call it the, "No that's not on sale, it doesn't say on the sale paper that it's on sale, nor is it near the sale stuff," event. I... Kind of want to yell at people that they can't read...

Yesterday my DM approved me doing a return for $145 in cash with no receipt, when I told the lady it was store credit only for returns with no receipt. They are no investigating it, but not me, because I did everything I was supposed to. So, good job DM.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My favorite shelf bullshit is when the customers take butter or yogurt or something and go, "Mmm, well it came out of a fridge, I'll put it back in one!"

And then they stick a gallon of sweet tea in with the frozen french fries and I end up finding a loving solid brown brick of sugar a few hours later.

That sounds delicious when it thaws. Mmm, sweet tea slushy!

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

dovetaile posted:

That sounds delicious when it thaws. Mmm, sweet tea slushy!

I used to do this when I was little. Put a cup of sweet tea in the freezer, forget about it, then pull it out and scrape at it with a spoon

Also works with boxes of Hi-C. Good poo poo.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Last night was my first shift back from nine days off. My department got a new team lead that everyone already hates because he's already trying to throw every person under the bus for his fuckups with our 1-hr store pickup.

Gonna be a fun few weeks!

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Happy PSL day.

I'm ready to suffer, but at least we scheduled extra people so I can suffer less than I normally would.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So soon this year! I thought it was 9/1.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Starbucks has seen a downward trend in sales this year. Fall soft launch being this early is their solution.

Its 90 degrees outside.

Edit: I had my very first PSL yesterday and it was pretty loving good

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 28, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People gotta Instasnap their Pumpkin Spice.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Starbucks has seen a downward trend in sales this year. Fall soft launch being this early is their solution.

Its 90 degrees outside.

Edit: I had my very first PSL yesterday and it was pretty loving good

They're even better iced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i'm a supervisor and had another supervisor coworker who was just bumped up to manager (i'm v happy for her and i hope i never get asked because i don't want that responsibility at all) so it's just me in this position right now, but they need a second one for the holidays. i've been told they're considering someone who was 'let go' before i got here, and was re-hired recently, hoping she would change. afaik she hasn't, and is late every day, and likes to argue with customers and coworkers? and just doesn't do a lot of poo poo if she doesn't feel like it?

i know that it's retail and it loving sucks rear end and i also don't want to do anything but i've never been late or not done what i was asked to do, and they promoted me bc i'm reliable w/ open availability and do my job and was capable of passing the drug test lmao

but they want to promote her to a supervisor despite already being unreliable and lovely, with the hope that she'll somehow magically change? the gently caress? i know they don't have a lot of people to choose from but yikes

she came in 35 minutes late today :nallears: god i need to remember that no one gives a poo poo and i don't actually have to try or worry about a goddamn thing