Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wark Say posted:

What's the fluffiest, most feel-good shoujo you can recommend me? Like, I want something that looks at Kimi ni Todoke's anime and say "Nah, too rough, man".

Usotsuki Lily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

also I want to tell mei she is totally a girl and can be the girl she wants to be

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Wark Say posted:

What's the fluffiest, most feel-good shoujo you can recommend me? Like, I want something that looks at Kimi ni Todoke's anime and say "Nah, too rough, man".

Hiyokoi

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, it's definitely not as good as ykk, but the aforementioned ai-ren is a good melancholic story on life and death, just...cut out the war bits I guess, they felt super irrelevant to the story of two people with not much time left.

Mothafuckin' ORE MONOGATARI

Maybe watch the anime too! It's good!
Takeo is my favorite silly romantic male lead. There's just something so "can do! :dance:" about his characterization that I cannot help but to find it charming. Takuya Eguchi's voice work was also pretty fun. Yeah, I'm rewatching it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Usotsuki Lily.

Vesi posted:

Hiyokoi
I will check these two out as well. I appreciate it. :tipshat:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mors Rattus posted:

also I want to tell mei she is totally a girl and can be the girl she wants to be

also I made the mistake of reading the comments to see if mangadex comments would be as awful as I thought they would be

spoilers: they're worse

I expected 'trap' because anime nerds are terrible

I got 'it' being used as a pronoun, attack helicopter jokes and denial of the concept of nonbinary people

because anime nerds are terrible

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, read the comments. :smithicide:

Edit: Also Dis, read Starless by Jacqueline Carey, which is an epic fantasy with a straight up NB protag. It's not a great book, but it's pretty good and the representation is novel.

I warned you. :suicide:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

why is it so hard for people to accept that gender is complicated and weird and you can be whatever you want to be in this, the year 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Because if you can't tell whether someone's a man or a woman you might be ~*accidentally gay*~!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they got bullied in school for being different

monkey see monkey do

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

the joke is it will never matter because none of these asshats will ever get close to involvement with the genitalia under discussion anyway

because they are completely unfuckable

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wark Say posted:

Takeo is my favorite silly romantic male lead. There's just something so "can do! :dance:" about his characterization that I cannot help but to find it charming. Takuya Eguchi's voice work was also pretty fun. Yeah, I'm rewatching it.
There is nothing silly about Takeo :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I fell off so hard on My Love Story when it got I think picked up, I'd probably have to start over at this point. Heck is it even still running?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wasn't it at like 8 volumes when it got picked up? If it's still running it's at probably like 14 volumes now

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The last volume was released in english last year; I'm not sure when it was originally published.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's actually done!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished at 13 volumes in 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was close! Dang, that's a good length for a romcom that starts out with the relationship.

Speaking of series that are done, or should be, did someone finally stick a fork in Kimi ni Todoke

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

There is nothing silly about Takeo :colbert:
You know what? You're right. I think misusing words, even in this manner, can give other goons the wrong impression.

Takeo is an incredibly earnest, kind and well-intentioned young gentleman who, despite often facing discrimination due to his appearance, takes it in stride and still procures to be a paragon of good vibes.

Also, a low-key otomen:

:3:

Captain Invictus posted:

I was close! Dang, that's a good length for a romcom that starts out with the relationship.

Speaking of series that are done, or should be, did someone finally stick a fork in Kimi ni Todoke
It's been almost a year. I honestly liked the anime's first season better. The second season was fine, and Mamoru Miyano playing Shishou was fun, but I can totally understand how people bailed on it afterwards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man that's sad, I remember when it was a thread favourite and no one even bothered to mention it had finished.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mage & Demon Queen rebooted and will now have weekly updates.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's less a reboot and more just reposting until it gets to new content, because now it's an official webtoons affiliate rather than just using their hosting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its nice when you can't read the thread for a while and you come back and its nothing but good content.

Also I seem to always miss Double House discussion :(
I would second that rec, manga has a very "cool" feeling to it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hiyokoi is very cute :3 that's a good rec for fluff

I think the My Love Story discussion fell off because it got licensed and it's just harder to keep up with stuff when people have to buy the books to participate in the discussion. I try to remember to post when stuff I like a lot has a new book out or has ended but I haven't bought the last 4 or 5 volumes of that one myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

also I made the mistake of reading the comments to see if mangadex comments would be as awful as I thought they would be

spoilers: they're worse

I expected 'trap' because anime nerds are terrible

I got 'it' being used as a pronoun, attack helicopter jokes and denial of the concept of nonbinary people

because anime nerds are terrible
Hot take but like, everyone already knows the comments are terrible. I understand the desire to vent about the discourse being so toxic but by reposting it all here you're basically just bringing that poo poo in front of people who might view this discussion or this forum as one of the few places they can talk about this stuff without being exposed to that kind of behavior, and to no real conversational end since everyone's just gonna go 'yeah those people suck.'

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I think the My Love Story discussion fell off because it got licensed and it's just harder to keep up with stuff when people have to buy the books to participate in the discussion. I try to remember to post when stuff I like a lot has a new book out or has ended but I haven't bought the last 4 or 5 volumes of that one myself.

Yes, I think you’re right why there wasn’t too much discussion near the end. I remember a) liking it, b) thinking the end was really abrupt, but it was so fluffy I literally can’t recall what happened.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Endorph posted:

Hot take but like, everyone already knows the comments are terrible. I understand the desire to vent about the discourse being so toxic but by reposting it all here you're basically just bringing that poo poo in front of people who might view this discussion or this forum as one of the few places they can talk about this stuff without being exposed to that kind of behavior, and to no real conversational end since everyone's just gonna go 'yeah those people suck.'

Apologies, I will avoid in the future.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://mangadex.org/manga/29746/sanju-mariko

quote:

The manga centers on veteran novelist Mariko Kōda, who lives with the families of both her son and her grandson in one house. Feeling like she no longer has any place in her home, she decides to leave the house and strike out on her own, beginning with living in a manga cafe in the city. (from ANN)

Won 42nd Annual Kodansha Manga Award for "Best General Manga" (2018)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/scaberi_news/status/1032672212585730048

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Wark Say posted:

momokuri

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gonna read that

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

putting this one on my list

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Huh, go figure, a new 60 page MLS is coming:

http://goboiano.com/ore-monogatari-is-getting-an-all-new-chapter-next-month/

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

putting this one on my list

I read it and its super good but that opener chapter is heavy, heavy like a boulder heavy.

my heart hurts

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I read it and its super good but that opener chapter is heavy, heavy like a boulder heavy.

my heart hurts

Same. I uh, I think I need to call my grandmother.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Catching up with Ao no Flag...

Oh hey look, it's the patriarchy! :toot:
It bugs me sometimes how often the discourse on gender equality seems to completely fail to address the "Maybe men can be more like women?" side of the coin.
Especially when you then see articles encouraging women to behave more like cisgender men, who are absolutely the group whose behaviour is totally what we want more of in the world.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

Wark read Prunus Girl
Hey, I'm on chapter 3 of this. Seems easygoing enough! I do kinda wish Maki would stop dilly-dallying and just accept that he's into Aikawa.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Raise wa Tanin ga Ii: https://mangadex.org/title/22801/raise-wa-tanin-ga-ii/chapters/

Conflicted with this manga since it has an interesting MC but it also features extreme violence and LI are less than stable.

Haru no Noroi: https://mangadex.org/title/20305/haru-no-noroi

I liked this short story and it had the potential for a longer plot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm reading the yakuza one but never felt like it was really suitable content for this thread lol. It's really interesting and I like the MC a lot, and I dig the art. Unlike a lot of gangster romance stories that are just romances with some mobster set dressing this one seems to be a yakuza story first and foremost and all of the characters are literally violent criminals doing crimes and even though the MC has been sheltered from that somewhat she isn't completely isolated from it. I think that's what makes her really interesting, because she's naive and a bit spoiled and has been protected from a lot, but she's also tough as nails and resourceful and is just as much a gangster as all the rough tattooed men she's been raised around.

e: oh wait I did apparently think it was thread material lmao

Raise wa Tanin ga Il

This one is seinen and is pretty dark/violent but is also really interesting so far. An arranged marriage between two yakuza families brings the MCs together and neither one is really who they seem to be from first impressions. I like the lead girl a lot, she has a good mix of naivety from being sheltered and gangster badass. The lead guy is...something. I'm pretty interested to see how this all develops, since it looks like the gangster biz will be a central feature and not just set dressing.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 24, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Raise wa Tanin ga li is goddamn incredible so far. It's, uh, not a fluffy romance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also i don't know how to isolate individual images on mangadex's new system so pretend I timg'd chapter 5.2 page 11