Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

ask your partner to show you a way out.

Excuse me sensei, I know you have a strangle hold on me but how do I escape?

But yeah gently caress the dumb "dont tap" comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

More of a "Hey I don't know any side control or mount escapes, can you show me one instead of just choking me?"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just taking the piss mate.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

how long before my grip adapts and it stops feeling like i have arthritis when i wake up in the morning?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

jarofpiss posted:

how long before my grip adapts and it stops feeling like i have arthritis when i wake up in the morning?

If your anything like me it won't

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

When you learn to stop gripping so hard with your fingers. So if you're like me, probably a year.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

im the quintessential white belt gripping as hard as i can and just trying to survive through strength while i can tell they're just letting me wear myself out before they submit me

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

JaySB posted:

My buddy James is a brown belt at that school. He's a tough SOB.

Nice. I just got my first stripe on my white belt from Pedro Sauer, felt really good. He has a lot of fun and interesting stories about the Gracies, I am really enjoying the school

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tap early tap often

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There is a technique to gripping that judo is way better about teaching than most BJJ schools. At least my experience was I learned technical gripping during my excursions into judo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mekchu posted:

But yeah gently caress the dumb "dont tap" comment.

I don't see why someone should tap just because they don't know what to do.

Survival is the first thing someone should learn in BJJ. Obviously they don't know what they're doing, and obviously they're going to end up dominated. Getting used to this, staying calm, maintaining breathing, conserving energy, paying attention to your opponents movements are the first skills a white belt learns.

I'm all for tapping in most cases, but not for tapping due to ignorance or boredom.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, for me, I tap early if it's a blue belt or higher but dont tap until the sub is in with a fellow white belt because I want them to get a chance to feel how the submission should be executed.

Like, for me, there is still a lot of stuff I need to learn in finishing a sub I don't get to figure out if the guy taps early.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, for me, I tap early if it's a blue belt or higher but dont tap until the sub is in with a fellow white belt because I want them to get a chance to feel how the submission should be executed.

Like, for me, there is still a lot of stuff I need to learn in finishing a sub I don't get to figure out if the guy taps early.

that's a great way to get hurt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I tap early even if the submission is loose against people I don't know outside of a tournament setting; because I have no way of knowing if the dudes gonna spaz and crank the crap out of the Armbar/Neck Crank/what. With experienced training partners I'll play the escapes a bit, because I know they won't spaz and turn the submission immediately up to 10. I say that fact alone is why out of the four years I've been wrasslin' the only injury I've ever picked up came from rolling the poo poo out of my ankle when I got sloppy doing some thai drills.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 23, 2018

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

do the opposite. white belts are so pumped to have a sub they'll try to tear your whole poo poo off. higher belts will have hopefully learned to exercise restraint & control

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've tapped to stalling before, don't @ me.

(I have better things to do than to hang out during a round because my opponent has body control over me but can't finish the sub and won't adjust properly.)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CommonShore posted:

that's a great way to get hurt.

Wangsbig posted:

do the opposite. white belts are so pumped to have a sub they'll try to tear your whole poo poo off. higher belts will have hopefully learned to exercise restraint & control

Alright then, good to know

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

I tap early even if the submission is loose against people I don't know outside of a tournament setting; because I have no way of knowing if the dudes gonna spaz and crank the crap out of the Armbar/Neck Crank/what. With experienced training partners I'll play the escapes a bit, because I know they won't spaz and turn the submission immediately up to 10. I say that fact alone is why out of the four years I've been wrasslin' the only injury I've ever picked up came from rolling the poo poo out of my ankle when I got sloppy doing some thai drills.

That's a good policy. Reflecting on myself, I probably try too hard to escape submissions. But yeah my coach would yell at me if I were to tap too early.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

That's a good policy. Reflecting on myself, I probably try too hard to escape submissions. But yeah my coach would yell at me if I were to tap too early.

I kinda get where he's coming from, but at the same time, you have to know what's more important to you. I'll risk a possible elbow pop at the IBJJF finals, I'm not gonna risk a pinky injury in training.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess it depends on what's happening, too. RNC and I don't feel it's on? I'm going to keep fighting. Armbar and my arm is trapped with no chance of getting out? I'll tap and move on. Heel hook? That x1000. D'arce with no choke on but my nerves are being squashed and it hurts? gently caress it, nobody got time for that. Tapping.

For the latter I'll tap and give my partner feedback, and I'll thank people who give me the same feedback.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've gotten tired of not being able to turn my neck for 3 days after hard rounds, so any time someone has my body controlled and is digging for a choke I just call it.

Unless they're a friend specifically comp prepping then I'll fight it out to help them get used to digging for the sub. I can deal with some soreness if its to someone's real benefit.

I'll pause the roll to free fingers or toes caught in weird spots too. Both myself and others.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Tap early tap often

This should be rule #1 at most schools for white belts, the most important rule.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I strongly encourage new people to tap early and often.

On the other hand, when said new person is a house of fire on top (read: spazzy as gently caress using 100% of their strength, like they are in a life and death struggle) and then they get exhausted and reversed, then tap out to position, that's...poor? Disappointing? I'm sure there's a German word for that.

How are they ever going to learn to pace themselves without my knee in their spleen? Seriously. :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

I strongly encourage new people to tap early and often.

On the other hand, when said new person is a house of fire on top (read: spazzy as gently caress using 100% of their strength, like they are in a life and death struggle) and then they get exhausted and reversed, then tap out to position, that's...poor? Disappointing? I'm sure there's a German word for that.

How are they ever going to learn to pace themselves without my knee in their spleen? Seriously. :colbert:

I admit to tapping out to a knee once or twice mostly because I was already out of breath and I knew I didn't have enough time to get out of the hold

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I admit to tapping out to a knee once or twice mostly because I was already out of breath and I knew I didn't have enough time to get out of the hold

That's completely fine, as you build a repertoire of escapes you'll toughen yourself up when you know the guy/gal can't just stay there forever.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Since pretty much everybody at my gym good enough to tap me is a friend, I hover my hand visibly when I am about to tap, sometimes for 5+ seconds. It’s like a display of submission so they know they’re near the sweet spot and they chill out, but I don’t give the actual tap until they’re it’s ‘right’.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Anyone competing tomorrow at Gracie Worlds?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Since pretty much everybody at my gym good enough to tap me is a friend, I hover my hand visibly when I am about to tap, sometimes for 5+ seconds. It’s like a display of submission so they know they’re near the sweet spot and they chill out, but I don’t give the actual tap until they’re it’s ‘right’.

Haha I do that same thing when drilling submissions

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyone tried this stuff? With a messed up neck (from rolling on it wrong during sparring), Im wondering how well it works.

https://324brand.com/products/324-roll-on

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Has anyone tried this stuff? With a messed up neck (from rolling on it wrong during sparring), Im wondering how well it works.

https://324brand.com/products/324-roll-on

I mean I am not sure if there is any medical research to justify THC/CBD/Hemp as a topical anesthetic or muscle relaxant. My immediate gut instinct is that its snake oil. I mean even more traditional liniments are still mostly placebo effect although I use them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
If I threw a goon get together in NYC somewhere sometime in the fall, would anyone attend? It's be like a Saturday afternoon for training (maybe even a guest instructor) then grab dinner as a group. Or we could link it to Aaron Milam's 4 day camp as a get together after his camp on Saturday.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 24, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yuns posted:

If I threw a goon get together in NYC somewhere sometime in the fall, would anyone attend? It's be like a Saturday afternoon for training (maybe even a guest instructor) then grab dinner as a group.

If you don't mind a shitstorm white belt showing up I would be down

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

If I threw a goon get together in NYC somewhere sometime in the fall, would anyone attend? It's be like a Saturday afternoon for training (maybe even a guest instructor) then grab dinner as a group. Or we could link it to Aaron Milam's 4 day camp as a get together after his camp on Saturday.

I'd definitely show up.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

I'm down

e: depending on the timing I guess. I should know next week if I'll be in town the weekend of that camp or not.

butros fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 25, 2018

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My brother said he’ll go. He’s got an account but literally never posts — he’s a casual goon.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

I'd love to come but I'm rehabbing my shoulder at the moment so I can't guarantee anything at this moment. I'd do the 4 Day camp if pt Works.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol while shopping around for dumb BJJ stuff I saw there is a special edition Mega Man Gi which is so stupid/amazing I may end up getting it one day

https://www.mmawarehouse.com/products/project-002-hypnotik-x-capcom-mega-man-blue-bomber-bjj-gi

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Holy poo poo that is amazing. And I hate gi stuff.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It's times like this I wish my gym allowed us to wear cool gi's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing. And I hate gi stuff.

Its the internal lining with all the bosses that did it for me haha