Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since this community quest sends us all to the same planet, seems like a good one to knock off creature completion. I've got 7/8 so far.
5 land-based (1 nocturnal)
2 water based (water-worm seen during the day, jellyfish at night, not sure if these guys are nocturnal as well or that's just for land)

E: found the last one, another diurnal land critter.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just did a missing person mission.

The person who gave me the quest and the person who was missing were the same person. Easiest quest completion ever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WhiteHowler posted:

I just did a missing person mission.

The person who gave me the quest and the person who was missing were the same person. Easiest quest completion ever.

He was just lost but didn't know how else to express it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This might be old news, but I just noticed that you can destroy base doors without alerting sentinels at all if you use the blaze javelin at a reasonable distance away

Also this community stuff seems cool, but I'm worried that means they've basically 'finished' the game, and it's just community missions and new base parts/gestures from here on

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can do that with the mining laser too. It seems they’re attracted to where the fire lands and not where they’re coming from. Haven’t tried Boltcaster yet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sentinels in general will check out the object you're harvesting/shooting and if they can't see you they'll just stand there looking around with question marks above them wondering who could possibly be doing this while somehow not seeing the bright beam leading to the culprit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In theory, prize items and quest scripts don't really take much relative dev time to make so they could still have the bulk of the team working on actual content and having a smaller team creating event stuff. But I guess we'll find out.

Anybody found the hex cores on any planet other than the original one the event mission sends you to? Doesn't seem to matter that I have the mission active, all I can find is salvaged tech.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

toiletbrush posted:

This might be old news, but I just noticed that you can destroy base doors without alerting sentinels at all if you use the blaze javelin at a reasonable distance away

Also this community stuff seems cool, but I'm worried that means they've basically 'finished' the game, and it's just community missions and new base parts/gestures from here on

Ditto bouncing a grenade up to from far away or pop it strafing, zoom off and they drop the timer when you pass about 1000u.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
has anyone else had an issue where markers for resources and your ship stop showing up? It seems to happen on the community quest planet, I'm guessing because there's a marker limit and they're all taken up with people's communication stations?

Bane
Aug 30, 2009
Heads up for anyone accessing the community event from a different galaxy. I started the event from Eissentam, and when I took the portal back it put me in Euclid. None of the teleporters work and I have no way to get back to my bases on Eissentam.

I'll probably never play this game again if they don't / can't fix this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of my goals is to find the tiniest shuttle I can with those round shield/hover thingamajigs on the side and I will name it BEEP BEEP SPACE CAR

content
Feb 13, 2014

Phy posted:

One of my goals is to find the tiniest shuttle I can with those round shield/hover thingamajigs on the side and I will name it BEEP BEEP SPACE CAR

I love the way these tiny dudes look. I've been waiting for a decent one to show up for a while.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bane posted:

Heads up for anyone accessing the community event from a different galaxy. I started the event from Eissentam, and when I took the portal back it put me in Euclid. None of the teleporters work and I have no way to get back to my bases on Eissentam.

I'll probably never play this game again if they don't / can't fix this.

I started it from Hesperius Dimension, and it put me back in the right spot when I walked back through the portal. But yeah, for a game whose entire story focus is based on "travel to another galaxy", they have real trouble integrating things like this in ways that aren't buggy as hell.

Though I've been wondering if the reason why I can't find any more hex cores is because only Euclid has been populated with them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thundarr posted:

In theory, prize items and quest scripts don't really take much relative dev time to make so they could still have the bulk of the team working on actual content and having a smaller team creating event stuff. But I guess we'll find out.

Anybody found the hex cores on any planet other than the original one the event mission sends you to? Doesn't seem to matter that I have the mission active, all I can find is salvaged tech.

I have, but both the cores and tech are coming up as singles where before it was 2-4 in every one.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Bruceski posted:

I have, but both the cores and tech are coming up as singles where before it was 2-4 in every one.

Thank God I have researched all salvage tech already.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Even joining multiplayer games set in Euclid, I have yet to see a single hex core since finishing the initial part of the mission. Guess I'll wait for next week to see what other options they add for getting Quicksilver.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy gently caress you need so much tritium now and ships are not loving landing on this station.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

Even joining multiplayer games set in Euclid, I have yet to see a single hex core since finishing the initial part of the mission. Guess I'll wait for next week to see what other options they add for getting Quicksilver.

I was pulling them out of the ground at about 1:1 ratio to Salvage Tech on a different lush world.

That said, turning in fifty is no different than turning them in one at a time: 1250 quicksilver for a set, 25 per.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Nothing that I'm hearing about this latest patch sounds good. Throttling back salvage module yields and drastically increasing both the component cost and completion time of frigate missions do nothing to make the game more fun or rewarding. Frigate missions were already tenuously worthwhile as it was.

These changes are right in line with Hello's MO of crushing any attempt to short circuit the same grind that they laid down from the very first release.

They started this reactionary bullshit from the very beginning by multiplying the distance between systems with a day 1 patch after a streamer beelined the center of the galaxy pre-release.

NEXT kicked off my third honest attempt to spend a lot of time with this game, but just reading about the latest patch changes, I know that I'm done. It's my fault, I should have known better by now. This game is tedious enough without Hello spinning the balance knobs like the steering wheels of Super Off-Road Challenge.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well this update sure is something. Sometimes my ship gets stuck inside buildings, sometimes it just refuses to land at all in an open field, and my inventories are all hosed up. Last night I had 36 slots unlocked, now there's two hidden; I can still sell the stuff that's in those slots, but I can't access it.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy gently caress you need so much tritium now and ships are not loving landing on this station.

I needed to buy some for frigate fuel and lucked out with a vendor who was selling 4k. Now to grind-refine some di-hydrogen :/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You can no longer dump stuff into storage boxes from your inventory anywhere, which made for a handy overflow.
Removing things from storage requires taking all of it. Hitting W to split the stack no longer works at all (previously you just needed an empty space in storage to put the split before transferring it).
Supply frigates giving -15 to fuel cost is a lot less useful when you're chugging 700 at a time. For 1-2 hour jaunts adding one could kick the cost down a notch pretty easily, now it doesn't even pay for itself.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
They hosed up the transfer items stuff too when transferring from refiners and such. I liked the way you could hit triangle on ps4 to send it to your suit or whatever. Now it is even more work.

There were a few other things I noticed last night but I'm at work now and cannot remember them.

As for the community quest items it told me that I could get them anywhere after I completed it but I logged off after so I don't know if that is true.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

They seriously hosed things up with 1.58 at least as regards flight system. It looks to me that they decoupled the pitch and yaw sensitivity, leaving yaw linear as it was before and making pitch logarithmic or something weird. On top of that sometimes my ship simply doesn't land. I have to gtfo in a station (or freighter or anything with the blue ray of self dock) reload the game and hope for the best.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trastion posted:

They hosed up the transfer items stuff too when transferring from refiners and such. I liked the way you could hit triangle on ps4 to send it to your suit or whatever. Now it is even more work.

This is really bugging me on PC too, don't know why they got rid of just double tapping x to deposit into the exosuit.

e: I guess what's really irking me is that when you go to put stuff in a refiner, you have to click the input slot, press x to transfer stuff into it, select your item, and it just selects it for you, and you have to move the mouse over to the refiner slot and click it again. Game, you already knew where I was going to put that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 31, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was gonna patch this on my PC copy since I'll be on a plane for 10 hours tomorrow and was going to play it to kill time, but now I think I'll hold off and play it on the last version :yikes:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Do you seriously have to hang around on the same extreme planet for like 8 real life hours without leaving for the Extreme Survival milestones?

While I'm at it, I've yet to successfully scan every animal on a planet.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, you do. Make a based, build a shed, and hang out in there while watching a movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, those are cumulative. Also you don't have to be actually exposed to extreme conditions for the timer to run so you can spend the entire time in a building or a cave.

One of the trophies, though, does require a very long continuous session on the same extreme planet (with the same loophole).

Finding all the animals requires you to not only spend a bunch of time but also to check all the possible places that might have exclusive animals: caves, deep water, and night (and don't forget to look up).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 31, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you plan to shelter in place for the survival milestones, be sure to at least move occasionally. I think progress halts until the next milestone actually triggers, which it might not do if you're 100% AFK. Basically, just walk around every 30 minutes or so to see if you get a Milestone Reached pop-up and you're good.

I suggest using moons to do animal completion, since I always seem to find every possible animal much faster there. It might be a quirk of how moons are generated, I dunno.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 31, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I haven't had too much trouble with finding animals, as long as I'm gonna be spending a bit of time legging it around on the surface. Most planets I find don't have water whatever reason, which makes it much easier. I think frozen planets are also guaranteed not to have oceans you have to find and search?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Bruceski posted:

Supply frigates giving -15 to fuel cost is a lot less useful when you're chugging 700 at a time. For 1-2 hour jaunts adding one could kick the cost down a notch pretty easily, now it doesn't even pay for itself.

Sorry I haven't played in a few days, are you saying a 1-2 hour frigate expedition costs ~700 fuel now?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Sorry I haven't played in a few days, are you saying a 1-2 hour frigate expedition costs ~700 fuel now?

I'm saying that most of the frigate expeditions are now much longer, taking 24 hours and a proportionate amount of fuel.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Thundarr posted:

If you plan to shelter in place for the survival milestones, be sure to at least move occasionally. I think progress halts until the next milestone actually triggers, which it might not do if you're 100% AFK. Basically, just walk around every 30 minutes or so to see if you get a Milestone Reached pop-up and you're good.

Can confirm this is not the case. I AFKed for like four hours and the whole thing counted. (1 "Sol" is about 15 mins realtime).

The thing is, the actual milestone popup wont trigger until you get into your ship and out again. But you'll have the time racked up in the Milestones page.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well that's good to know. I set myself up in a base and went out to mow the lawn. When I came back the milestone progress was at exactly 24.0, then I walked around and the Milestone triggered and continued to 24.1. Maybe I just happened to come back exactly at the right time.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

toiletbrush posted:

Was just going to say this. Stacked with three S upgrades and the crafted upgrade, it's only four shots to open a door and zero risk as you're up on a hillside. Then you just punch boost your way in. Plus, no separate inventory spot for ammo! 420 Blaze Javelin etc

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've been running around this ocean-less desert planet, day and night, empty caves, for like an hour and have been at 4/5 the whole time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've been running around this ocean-less desert planet, day and night, empty caves, for like an hour and have been at 4/5 the whole time.

Look up! Even if they look similar some bird creatures will be different. There are also bigger birds that appear and disappear at will it seems like.

content
Feb 13, 2014

EC posted:

Look up! Even if they look similar some bird creatures will be different. There are also bigger birds that appear and disappear at will it seems like.

I always assumed it was because they were doing more of a migration pattern instead of swarming around one spot. Not sure if this is true, or what decides which birds will do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EC posted:

There was one planet I was in where there was a 2nd air creature that would genuinely spawn, start flying away, then despawn. No chance AT ALL to scan it before it flew away.

Had no problem scanning its corpse, though. But realizing it just randomly spawned once in forever only to fly away annoyed the poo poo out of me.