Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
...I think it's when you murder a pony??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is DBZA Buu confirmed or not? Because I was pretty sure were going to stop after Cell because Toei was taking legal action against them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is DBZA Buu confirmed or not? Because I was pretty sure were going to stop after Cell because Toei was taking legal action against them.

Last I heard (and this was a few days ago) they basically said they'd feel irresponsible saying anything one way or another until episode 60 is done and dusted.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Was never about legal action. According to Kaiser they had a moment of crisis whether to continue because once DBZA is over, that’s pretty much it for them. They wanted other creative stuff to fall back on so they can continue as a group.

My own personal opinion on that is everything they’ve done outside of their abridged work for the series they’ve worked on is mediocre at best. They do nothing that other channels don’t do better (their lets plays, podcasts, everything really).

I get why they are worried about it, but I think unless they strike some sort of gold in the next few things they create, they should really look at Buu as their last hurrah. Probably a bitter pill to swallow and they’ll try to survive past it, but right now I don’t see them making it far past that if the material outside their abridged stuff is anything to go by.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
That was literally longer and worse than the Kai version of the same episode lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ryaomon posted:

That was literally longer and worse than the Kai version of the same episode lmao

It was not? The episode was 22 minutes and Kai was 2 episodes of about 40 minutes

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

But it wasn't especially funny and it's definitely not that abridged.

People keep saying this and I feel they are starting to forget how atrocious the original show's pacing was.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 1, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gohan stars in a million Linkin Park music videos - video description

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Petiso posted:

People keep saying this and I feel they are starting to forget how atrocious the original show's pacing was.

No, I remember how atrocious it is. There's still a lot to this episode (Part 1 of 2? 3?) and it feels kinda long. "Abridged" isn't meant to evoke that feeling.

The fact it's shorter than Z and Kai doesn't mean too much to detract from that feeling.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The abridged series has really changed mandate over time. Back in the saiyan and early freeza sagas it was about trimming it down, actually abridging the material. Somewhere mid freeza they must've realized that people actually rather liked their takes on the characters, because the whole series from that point on became more about DBZ comedy edition, that just happens to be shorter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
16's speech was pretty gross, and just because it makes sense in DBZ land doesn't really change that. Fuckin weird when 1st attempt Funimation has a more viable option.

Episode was still good, but jesus

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

16's speech was pretty gross, and just because it makes sense in DBZ land doesn't really change that. Fuckin weird when 1st attempt Funimation has a more viable option.

Episode was still good, but jesus
I agree, it was terrible. It really seemed like a terrible nerd take on the situation.

I enjoyed the episode otherwise

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I quite liked 16 calling Gohan out on his cowardice and pacifism. Not sure where he got the idea that Gohan thought he was better than everyone though, but aside from that it was a good take on the speech.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheLoneStar posted:

I quite liked 16 calling Gohan out on his cowardice and pacifism. Not sure where he got the idea that Gohan thought he was better than everyone though, but aside from that it was a good take on the speech.

He’s 11

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

He's also stronger than 99% of the world's population. And this is a Shonen series, teens and even preteens are always being thrown in horribly dangerous situations and are usually treated on-par with adults in terms of responsibility.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah 16's speech was weird except for the very end where he wanted Gohan to use his head to beat Goku to death

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I'm 6

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Wow!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think the abridged one was a slightly better speech considering anybody 16 and Gohan have never really met before now. I honestly thought they'd play the "LET YOUR RAGE FLY OUT...LIKE A BIIIIIIIIRD" or something, but it worked.

Looking forward to part 2 in about 5 years

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like, the main difference between this and the real speeches is that this one is a lot blunter.

They ultimately mean the same thing- stop letting your fear control you, stop letting your high minded ideals blind you. Some fights have to be fought.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The original wasn't just less blunt, 16 was approaching Gohan from the angle of actually empathizing with Gohan. He understood how he felt and why he didn't want to fight but nonetheless urged him on because sometimes that's just what you gotta do. That's why it worked and that's why it had to be 16 to do it because nobody else in the cast actually understands Gohan's feelings of pacifism.

In this, he's just scolding him for something that he kind of doesn't have a lot of control over. There's no empathy, there's no understanding, he's just telling a terrified 11 year old to get over himself. It turns 16 into kind of a fucker.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 1, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

VJeff posted:

The original wasn't just less blunt, 16 was approaching Gohan from the angle of actually empathizing with Gohan. He understood how he felt and why he didn't want to fight but nonetheless urged him on because sometimes that's just what you gotta do. That's why it worked and that's why it had to be 16 to do it because nobody else in the cast actually understands Gohan's feelings of pacifism.

In this, he's just scolding him for something that he kind of doesn't have a lot of control over. There's no empathy, there's no understanding, he's just telling a terrified 11 year old to get over himself. It turns 16 into kind of a fucker.

This. It's a really lovely note to end 16 on, after I've enjoyed all of his stuff up to this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah 16's speech in Abridged confuses me and I'm not sure if it's TFS doing some weird making GBS threads-on-Gohan by proxy thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah 16's speech in Abridged confuses me and I'm not sure if it's TFS doing some weird making GBS threads-on-Gohan by proxy thing.

I'm kind of wondering if he was deliberately being a dick to try and provoke Gohan into snapping.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, that all took a turn for the worst when Android 16's head gave his speech. That's the kind of poo poo Cell would say and he already did.

I also don't understand why Episode 60 has multiple parts. Just call part 2 "Episode 61" ya dinguses.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 1, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

VJeff posted:

Yeah exactly. I couldn't put my finger on it last night but lack of empathy is exactly the problem.

The more I think about it too the more the "pacifism sucks lol" thing just seems really cringey to me. Like its loving bizarre that the original DBZ is a more nuanced take on this being that its, well, DBZ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that speech felt like it was written by a tv tropes page

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It's not that pacifism in of itself is bad, it's the concept of choosing pacifism over literally saving the world when there's really no other option and how that's bad.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope DBZA pivots back to making jokes at some point

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the speech made me mad enough to go ssj2

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Star Man posted:

Yeah, that all took a turn for the worst when Android 16's head gave his speech. That's the kind of poo poo Cell would say and he already did.

I also don't understand why Episode 60 has multiple parts. Just call part 2 "Episode 61" ya dinguses.

Vegeta finale was episode 10, Frieza finale was 30, Cell is 60. If the pattern follows, then Buu finale will be 100.

Also I think they’re going to release part 2 soon and not another loving year from now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TheLoneStar posted:

It's not that pacifism in of itself is bad, it's the concept of choosing pacifism over literally saving the world when there's really no other option and how that's bad.

I mean, I get that he's not wrong. Dying with your morals intact still means you're dead. It was just more mean-spirited than I would have expected from 16. But I guess DBZA 16 is sort of a personality void other than "likes birds and Krillin" and "hates Goku", and Cell is definitely about to kill Krillin and birds, so maybe the killer robot is kind of a dick.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Remember back in the Frieza saga when they wrote Guru into a comically evil psychopath and Recoombe did Wrestlemania? Sure glad they ditched that crap so 16 could give Gohan an epic The Reason You Suck speech and everyone could feel bad.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

multijoe posted:

Remember back in the Frieza saga when they wrote Guru into a comically evil psychopath and Recoombe did Wrestlemania? Sure glad they ditched that crap so 16 could give Gohan an epic The Reason You Suck speech and everyone could feel bad.

What's weird is that everything else with 16, which I'm pretty sure was nothing interesting in actual DBZ, was really, really good in DBZA, but then they took the moment that makes people actually remember 16 as cool and good and made it suck.

Maybe 16's speech was supposed to be ironically bad?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Maybe 16's speech was supposed to be ironically bad?

So long as we all agree it was bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

multijoe posted:

They had jokes? Even 16s speech had jokes in it, to various degrees of success.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

They had jokes? Even 16s speech had jokes in it, to various degrees of success.

They mainly have quips now. DBZA still has it moments, but the Cell saga has largely just been the vanilla plot with snark.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

multijoe posted:

They mainly have quips now. DBZA still has it moments, but the Cell saga has largely just been the vanilla plot with snark.

Yeah it’s been like that since Frieza, it’s also when it stopped being unwatchable garbage.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it’s been like that since Frieza, it’s also when it stopped being unwatchable garbage.

If you want to watch vanilla Dragon Ball you are spoilt for for choices in the formats available. I thought it was quite funny when Vegeta was taunted by the ghost of Nappa as his plans came crumbling down around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

multijoe posted:

If you want to watch vanilla Dragon Ball you are spoilt for for choices in the formats available. I thought it was quite funny when Vegeta was taunted by the ghost of Nappa as his plans came crumbling down around him.

I like the more sitcom set up jokes rather than meme style humor. Either way it’s not the vanilla style either.