Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Monoma's final form is just Chrollo tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how much Monoma has improved his quirk since the Sports Festival? If I remember right, his limitations were that he can only use a quirk for 5 minutes and that he could only use one at a time.

if he could use more than 1 at a time that would make him pretty impressive

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mr. Fowl posted:

In like, a fawning teen way, or like...a serial killer way?

Yes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I hope this arc does something to resolve Monoma's conflict with 1-A, or at least advance it in some way. The same goes for Shinso's desire to get into the Heroics program. They're both plot points that've just sort of been dangling since the Sports Festival, and aside from some kicking-rad fights there's not a lot else to focus on this arc (so far). It's as good a chance as any for Monoma to learn a lesson or take things too far, and for Shinso to get his wish or alter course, so hopefully they'll take the opportunity to shake up the status quo instead of just revisiting these two in another year.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

monoma and deku are gonna kiss

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Monoma is hilarious and shouldn't change in any way

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just want Monoma to have to work together with Class A and watch him squirm.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Monoma and Deku should become good friends, but he'll still hate the rest of 1A.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hunt11 posted:

I just want Monoma to have to work together with Class A and watch him squirm.

He's going to be key in taking down the traitor.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just hope we get to see all the matches and not just the first and last.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Or at least show enough of them so that we know what all of Class B's quirks are. I doubt they'd skip over Todoroki and Bakugou's matches though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It's been dozens of chapters since we've actually got to see the class do anything. This is a great opportunity for Horikoshi to show either how far they've all come, or how much distance the class's stars are creating between themselves and their peers, and I don't think he'll pass on it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

a couple of my friends were anime only but they finally started reading the manga

they're up to around 160 and all it's done is build hype for season 4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

monoma and deku are gonna kiss

No, Monoma is not Rogue, he's a cooler version who doesn't absorb people's mental health issues when he copies their powers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

a couple of my friends were anime only but they finally started reading the manga

they're up to around 160 and all it's done is build hype for season 4

thats cool that an outside perspective liked the overhault arc

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's probably better if read all at once instead of over a year

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kild posted:

thats cool that an outside perspective liked the overhault arc

I liked the Overhaul arc too if only because I read it all at once, it was interesting to see the world get way expanded beyond UA and there's a lot to love especially when you consider the anime will clean up the pacing too

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

It's probably better if read all at once instead of over a year

Speaking as someone who did:

Yeah, it kinda rules all at once.

I can see why the pacing would be awkward week to week, though. Especially with how fast MHA handles most arcs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A big issue with the Overhaul arc wasn't just the pacing, it was also that the fights were really difficult to figure out what was actually going on. In particular Suneater vs the trash trio and then the early stages of Deku vs. Overhaul where it's an endless barrage of linework.

I have high hopes for the anime's adaptation of this arc even with my overall low opinion of the adaptation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's true, some of the fights were hard to follow. the anime could definitely fix that part at least

it wouldn't help the pacing but I wonder if the girls' fight will get more screen time in the anime

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

it wouldn't help the pacing but I wonder if the girls' fight will get more screen time in the anime

I think they definitely will. The anime, whatever its faults, has shown a strong willingness to flesh out the rest of the class and show us what the manga implied but didn't have time to show. On top of that, Ochaco and Tsuyu are two of the more popular characters, and I imagine Nejire and Ryukyuu will also be very well-received.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gonna be upset if we don't get an indulgent Kyoani tier Haruhi concert animation for the 1A concert

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Eej posted:

Gonna be upset if we don't get an indulgent Kyoani tier Haruhi concert animation for the 1A concert
I'm really curious as to how they'll handle that. Hori really handed them something kinda difficult to simply do without kinda skipping over it.

The only thing they have going for them is that Jirou's VA actually has experience as a singer.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have high hopes for the anime's adaptation of this arc even with my overall low opinion of the adaptation.

not trying to come at you, legit curious: what are your issues with the adaptation?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Patware posted:

not trying to come at you, legit curious: what are your issues with the adaptation?

not enough mina

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God dammit now I wanna play Chex Quest.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Scholtz posted:

not enough mina

There's never enough Mina.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Scholtz posted:

not enough mineta

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked the Overhaul arc, at least being able to read it all without having to wait, but it certainly did seem pretty long and I was surprised later to learn it was like 40 chapters (about a quarter of the length of the series at the time of its completion!).It might just be that it was one of the darkest periods of the story, so it being one of the longest as well was a bit jarring by weighing so heavily on the comic's overall tone. I'm sure you all discussed this to death as it was happening, though.

It sort of felt like they introduced a few too many new characters too, most of whom haven't really persisted past the arc (although that's better than trying to make them all regulars and bloat an already pretty heavy cast). Although this did raise the stakes somewhat by giving the Villain Alliance people to stunt on without suffering another Crushing Moral Victory at the hands of the heroes. The hard fight, high cost and mixed outcome did a good job of selling the idea that the post-All-Might world is struggling to keep a lid on newly-emboldened threats.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
overhaul himself was also an exceptionally awful character for how much time he took up in the story

even his Quirk was terrible - it was shigaraki's but better, with an extra helping of fullmetal alchemist on the side. no downsides, no drawbacks, he can just create anything and pop people like balloons with a touch while ceaselessly bitching about how much he hated Quirks in general

his comeuppance was satisfying but just a tiny punctuation mark in a long and dreary story

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah his power wasn't all that cool, and kind of confused me since it seems weirdly similar to Eri's - he can break anything, but apparently put it back together again, and Eri's power is to rewind people, which seems to work the same as that second part so long as she doesn't slip up and wind you too far back.

While we're at it, if she could wind Mirio back to before he was de-quirk'd, couldn't she do the same to All-Might and bring him back to pre-injury full power?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably, which is why i think the story's going to quietly put her in a cupboard for as long as possible

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't be surprised if she ended up being forced/manipulated into doing that for all for one at some point. could hurt shigaraki's arc if it happened tho

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They miiiiiight be able to get away with One For All being a special quirk, more like a mantle being passed on, so she could rewind him to pre-injury and he'd be healthy and muscular but still not have One For All's power anymore. It might fall under the "can't be taken, only given" caveat that even time manipulation can't affect it. Or it might be like some of those specualtions about All For One stealing it or Monoma copying it where the quirk would start stockpiling from the beginning again instead of having all the stored power in it.

It would make for a cool late-story moment if All-Might had some way to become combat-capable again, albeit not at his previous strength, if only to give Deku and him a chance to fight side-by-side for once. Not that it has to happen or anything, it's actually pretty interesting to see All-Might become Toshinori Yagi and try to become a good teacher rather than just falling back on punching, but there's enough possibilities open that I don't think they're written into a corner.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eri is like 6 and her seemingly uncontrollable quirk can erase people into nothingness so I don't see the good guys making use of it. Even with the idea that she can eventually gain control of her quirk and help out Mirio I doubt that time will come over the course of the story.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have you ever noticed how Toga's toothy mask kind of resembles Deku's.
That means they are going to get married.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Say Nothing posted:

Deku hasn't left his home ever since the marriage. Apparently his new life has him pretty drained.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Toga thinks they've been dating for four months now.

So they've been dating for four months.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eri is like 6 and her seemingly uncontrollable quirk can erase people into nothingness so I don't see the good guys making use of it. Even with the idea that she can eventually gain control of her quirk and help out Mirio I doubt that time will come over the course of the story.

Eri's gonna see Deku's room and start asking about all the buff guy merchandise everywhere, triggering a three hour monologue on why All Might is so amazing. Eri will then become a giant All Might fan as well and work on mastering her Quirk, which she'll be putting to use keeping Toshinori's condition stable while he's in the hospital.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

It’s shonen tradition to marry your stalker so it checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patware posted:

It's more of an issue with anime adaptations of manga in general than with BNHA's adaptation in particular, but I can't help but consistently notice all the cost-cutting and shortcuts they use to save on budgets for the fighty episodes. For example, yesterday's episode was stuffed full of extra-slow flashbacks and long shots of characters standing there with not much else other than their mouth moving. It's to the point where I watch the anime episodes at 2x speed and slow down for the fight scenes.

The anime also frequently "cheats" by having a still shot but panning over it to make it look as if there's action.

When there's actually fighting going on it's pretty good but the in-between stuff really bugs me, and sometimes they break up the fighting with the in-between stuff which kills the hype.