Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've been running around this ocean-less desert planet, day and night, empty caves, for like an hour and have been at 4/5 the whole time.

I've found what I presume are unscannable insects before. I still wonder if they count. I've left so many planets with one species left to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's possible to scan the tiny moths but the game is extremely picky about them. Some worlds have moths that are big enough to actually see and those are bad enough. The birds that fly in a straight line and vanish are the worst though since they're always at least a little rare and you're unlikely to even notice them until they are already overhead and flying away from you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've seen that spawn in > disappear > spawn in loop on water creatures too. Extremely annoying.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PittTheElder posted:

I think frozen planets are also guaranteed not to have oceans you have to find and search?

This planet had some very large bodies of water with sea creatures.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:v:

I guess hydrocarbon lakes are a thing?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've seen open bodies of water on all planet types other than dead and exotic (mega exotic can have water). Moons never seem to have water though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't played in a few days, since a bit before the patch or so, but it looks like the expeditions are more lucrative now. A 4000 lightyear 2* industrial expedition I sent 3 industrials and a support on came back with 2 million units of cash and about 7 million units of loot. Similar expeditions used to bring back barely 2 million all told.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
So with these community events and this quicksilver, are the cosmetics unlocks applied across all characters? It seems they have 8 weeks worth of these community events initially planned, if we do the stuff and unlock a bunch of cosmetics will they be unlocked for future characters too? If it's just on the character you actual do the event with, it sort of doesn't seem worth it...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Can you load a single player game as multiplayer to participate?

Do I need all the glyphs to get to this one planet?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Can you load a single player game as multiplayer to participate?

Do I need all the glyphs to get to this one planet?

Yes.

No.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Killing transferring items from the freighter to base storage is bonkers to me.

It's hilarious that a game that is like, 75% crafting they haven't managed to work out a decent inventory system yet.

Edit: it's also hilarious that despite my issues with this game I probably have over 200 hours into it.

EC fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 1, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't played in a few days, since a bit before the patch or so, but it looks like the expeditions are more lucrative now. A 4000 lightyear 2* industrial expedition I sent 3 industrials and a support on came back with 2 million units of cash and about 7 million units of loot. Similar expeditions used to bring back barely 2 million all told.
My freighters are all apparently crewed by morons. I send them on a 2-star expedition and my rating is 3 or 4, they get blowed up halfway through and have to come home :argh:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has the performance on PS4 been cleaned up? I heard that when NEXT came out it was causing some crashing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

Has the performance on PS4 been cleaned up? I heard that when NEXT came out it was causing some crashing.

It's been a while since I actually crashed (other than my adventures on Broken Hell Death Planet) but my framerate goes to poo poo regularly on a no-pro PS4.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Captain Beans posted:

Not really. I’m taking a break for a few months, I’ll come back if I hear bugs/fps has improved

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Phy posted:

One of my goals is to find the tiniest shuttle I can with those round shield/hover thingamajigs on the side and I will name it BEEP BEEP SPACE CAR

I did not buy it, but I might have said aloud "omigod, the spacecar poster..."

Edit: a second, slightly better one landed in front of it, then the game crashed.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 1, 2018

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Captain Beans posted:

I played fresh with Next on an old style PS4 and it crashed only once but long distance travel always stuttered and there where occasions where it would start to slog and I'd quit to menu and it would be fine. Only did that a handful of times myself so it wasn't a cause for concern for me. Don't expect a smooth frame rate though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Several patches later and the Ghosts in the machine quest still doesn't work, it is rather annoying.

Also, how do you find predatory animals?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Oasx posted:

Several patches later and the Ghosts in the machine quest still doesn't work, it is rather annoying.

Also, how do you find predatory animals?

It is deceptive. Any animal should register regardless of their diet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blindeye posted:

It is deceptive. Any animal should register regardless of their diet.

uh, no? "Kill X creatures" and "kill X predators" are different. Predators are the ones chasing other creatures around and making them dead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One of two predators usually pop up when you have a large group of herbivores, which is maybe 1 in 10 encounters with animals

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Predators are almost always either raptor-looking things or cat-looking things (rarely they can have other appearances though), are basically always solitary, and will not run away if you approach. They'll also chase non-predator animals and kill them. I don't think I've ever found a flying or swimming critter that counted as a predator.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Bruceski posted:

uh, no? "Kill X creatures" and "kill X predators" are different. Predators are the ones chasing other creatures around and making them dead.

Oh, must be a bug with me. I get a kill predators mission and was thinking that byt then I killed some random herbivore in a herd and it claimed I killed a predator lol.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

Predators are almost always either raptor-looking things or cat-looking things (rarely they can have other appearances though), are basically always solitary, and will not run away if you approach. They'll also chase non-predator animals and kill them. I don't think I've ever found a flying or swimming critter that counted as a predator.

I had been wondering if there were any coded pack predators. I think I've seen at most two predators together and they probably weren't so much together as in the same general area wandering toward each other.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Thundarr posted:

I don't think I've ever found a flying or swimming critter that counted as a predator.

I think this guy did.

But I can't be bothered to find him in my pokedex to look at his behaviour.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Damnit. Finally tried out the pulse spitter, decided I kind of like it, and then find out its S class upgrades also add ricochet.

E: actually, never mind. Somehow the ricochet on the pulse splitter doesn't prevent it from damaging armor so it's not actually a downgrade like the boltcaster ricochet. So... why does the boltcaster one work the way it does? :psyduck:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2018

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I think my inventory is bugged. I've got two s class movement modules installed but adding anymore overloads them. Does the jetpack itself count as the third? I don't see anything else that would be conflicting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's more than three total purchased ones that overload it I think? I picked up a free B class upgrade to my boltcaster today, and when I installed it the total 2S +2B was overloading it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I found my first portal, but it only allows me to go on that scavenger hunt event, to do i need to find all the glyps before i can use it as a normal portal?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Oasx posted:

I found my first portal, but it only allows me to go on that scavenger hunt event, to do i need to find all the glyps before i can use it as a normal portal?

The artemis/apollo quest will teach you all the glyphs eventually.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone have a line on an easy to get S class experimental multitool? I finally got all the glyphs and am hoping to find a portal address.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EC posted:

Anyone have a line on an easy to get S class experimental multitool? I finally got all the glyphs and am hoping to find a portal address.

Take your pick:

Or

Sabilli-Rishi XI System // G3 Region: Iguromo Band 678,507 LY from the core
Signal Booster Coordinates: ADCL:0B95:007E:026C:00D9
The multi tool is found in the space station of the system. You will have to go to the planet closest to the station (Daceyle) and place a manual save point on the ground. Save your game with the save point and then reload your manual save.
The Alien Multi-Tool should now be at the station!

Both of these are in Euclid. The experimental is the one I went to and I left a beacon by the store that sells it if I recall correctly. You may need to reload the game once you reach the store for the right gun to show up.

Also, once you have all glyphs: NMS Coordinate Exchange. There's a ton of good looking poo poo there for multiple galaxies and systems though the system generation should work across consoles and PC.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 2, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man after nearly 200 hours I only just found an actual S rank 24 slot rifle. I think in that entire time I have seen a single experimental multi-tool and it was a C class pistol-size junker.

The only portal addresses I've found are pre-NEXT and the tools aren't there any more.

e: ^^^ well poo poo. I guess I'll fire up a multiplayer game and steal one from some unsuspecting Euclid person! Thanks for this.

And maybe I'm an idiot, but how do I actually use signal booster coordinates? I've always assumed they're just a random jumble of numbers.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 2, 2018

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Sweet, going for that experimental one I think.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

How much does it cost? I lucked into an A24 multitool thinking it'd be ages before I saw better. Still building my farm base so I only have 11m credits.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Those portal glyphs led me to a totally different system, so I guess that was a pre-NEXT thing or I hosed it up. :/

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Based on the slotted upgrades, the experimental tool in the picture above is pre-NEXT.

This one seems like it might be a winner though:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/comments/9ahvkb/euclid_s24_experimental_multi_tool_xb1ps4_normal/

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thundarr posted:

Based on the slotted upgrades, the experimental tool in the picture above is pre-NEXT.

This one seems like it might be a winner though:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/comments/9ahvkb/euclid_s24_experimental_multi_tool_xb1ps4_normal/

Yep that one worked perfectly. Thanks!

Now time to spend an hour warping from place to place to find upgrade modules 😂

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EC posted:

Yep that one worked perfectly. Thanks!

Now time to spend an hour warping from place to place to find upgrade modules 😂

Tip for this: Once you find a module you want multiple of, remember the system it's in. Once you go somewhere else (and buy another module) that first store will restock so you can go back and buy the same module again. So you can jump back and forth between a few systems to grab the 3 modules you'll need of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can also just hop in your ship, save, and reload. The upgrade will restock.

My main issue right now is that I am 100% out of nanites after doing fiddly upgrades on my ships (and new S class rifle multi-tool :negative:). I guess I'll just have to buy up all the runaway mold in three star systems to restock.