Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Haven’t watched it yet but I feel like they missed a chance for 16 to bond with Gohan over their current mutual desire to kill Gohan’s dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheKingofSprings posted:

Haven’t watched it yet but I feel like they missed a chance for 16 to bond with Gohan over their current mutual desire to kill Gohan’s dad

16 requests that if everyone makes it out of this, that Gohan beat Goku to death with his head.

Gohan would probably go through with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kild posted:

how exactly is he participating tho? he essentially stood there and got beat up until cell got bored of beating him up and then made children to go beat up gohan's friends instead.

gohan does fight back. cell's just stronger than gohan until he goes ss2. it's not that he's not trying to fight; cell's just dunking on the poor kid

(I didn't try that hard but it seems tough to find decent scans of this segment of the manga)

e: check out ch 406-407

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 2, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

He literally says as much in this episode. Unless you're talking about Gohan in the original series, which, far as I'm concerned, is an entirely different character from the one in DBZA.

yeah he says that, but the rest of the series (the abridged one) doesnt really support it. hes just been the subject of several dumb nerd jokes. its like they wanted to write the conclusion to this weird sort of...um....batman-gohan, but forgot that they never set any of this up

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan does fight back. cell's just stronger than gohan until he goes ss2. it's not that he's not trying to fight; cell's just dunking on the poor kid

(I didn't try that hard but it seems tough to find decent scans of this segment of the manga)

e: check out ch 406-407

Gohan's said to be stronger than Goku (or at least as strong) before SS2 and his fight isn't even close to being on the same level. But yeah I forgot he got a few good hits in.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Funky Valentine posted:

I liked that the Cell Jr.s were all named after Cell's voice actors (and Vegeta Jr.).

Bad Dameon, don't break Yamcha's arm.

It's because Dameon Clarke is the best Cell so of course he gets to beat up Yamcha.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

KaiserNeko has said on the TFS subreddit that they're gonna explain the whole coward thing more in part 2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kild posted:

Gohan's said to be stronger than Goku (or at least as strong) before SS2 and his fight isn't even close to being on the same level. But yeah I forgot he got a few good hits in.

goku was also weaker than cell and a much better fighter than gohan. the fight basically goes cell immediately kicks gohan into a mountain->gohan talks to cell about why goku sent him out->cell's way into that poo poo and says he's gonna try really hard to piss him off->cell kicks the poo poo out of gohan until he gets bored. gohan is entirely on the defensive for the whole fight, not because he's not trying but because cell's kicking his rear end. yea he was holding back because he was afraid but that's not the same thing as being a pacifist

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Akett posted:

KaiserNeko has said on the TFS subreddit that they're gonna explain the whole coward thing more in part 2.

Yeah well I also think splitting this into three parts after making us wait a year was a bad idea. :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gohan basically says "look, I become a psycho when I get mad and I kinda hate that so...can we please don't do it?"

and then poo poo proceeds into gohan becoming a psycho because he's mad and almost loving up real bad because he hates it

edit: 16's speech goes from "look, I know you hate that you lose control but sometimes you need to tap into that poo poo and murder a fool" to "you's a bitch stop being a bitch just assassinate them all...bitch i love bird". It's basically a "you can't tolerate intolerants" speech originally.

Dias fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 2, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

“Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel, Gohan. You are gentle; you do not like to hurt. I know because I, too, have learned these feelings, but it is because you cherish life, that you must protect it. Please, drop your restraints. Protect the life I loved. You have the strength. My scanners sensed it. Just let it go.”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Akett posted:

hopefully they don't just dig themselves a deeper hole by committing to the schtick

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The excuse that Gohan's 11 lost all validity when he was willingly travelling across the galaxy at 5 to punch nazis in space.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

The excuse that Gohan's 11 lost all validity when he was willingly travelling across the galaxy at 5 to punch nazis in space.

as if you wouldn't have been willing to go on a space trip when you were 11

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

he willingly traveled across the galaxy to bring back the guy who sacrificed his own life to save him

and then it turned out space nazis were also there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

16’s speech was kinda dumb but otherwise great third-of-an-episode

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Weirdly enough the part that stuck out as worst for me was the repeating "That's how you sound like" gag. It just went on one or two times too much for me.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I just watched the part of the tournament of power when gohan goes out with dispo via frieza, and man frieza is so happy to blow him up. Pretty great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

bobjr posted:

Weirdly enough the part that stuck out as worst for me was the repeating "That's how you sound like" gag. It just went on one or two times too much for me.

They've been trying to do the snappy repeating jokes that you hear in (what immediately comes to mind for me) Archer, where a single joke somehow spreads throughout the cast in the span of an episode. Sometimes it works, sometimes it annoys the hell out of you. I think the wait had a lot to do with how that joke was received, honestly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

VJeff posted:

Yeah well I also think splitting this into three parts after making us wait a year was a bad idea. :v:

They had 2000+ twitch subs during the live stream. Of course they're going to milk this cash cow twice more before its over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

serious gaylord posted:

They had 2000+ twitch subs during the live stream. Of course they're going to milk this cash cow twice more before its over.

They always split the finale in three, both the Saiyan and Frieza saga ended that way. This isn’t new and predates twitch by a long time.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Brother Entropy posted:

he willingly traveled across the galaxy to bring back his dad

and then it turned out space nazis were also there

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I didn't know where the 16 speech was gojng at first and it was weird and bad, but then I realized what TFS was actually trying to do there and it owned

they're using the Gohan thing as an extended metaphor for people who don't want to punch Nazis. 16's speech is basically just TFS laying it on the table that they think taking a "moral stance" against punching Nazis is the dumbest thing ever. this is why the language sounds so weird for him to be talking about Gohan: because he's basically not talking to Gohan, he's talking to you.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's a bit of a reach, innit.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Even Mr. Fantastic couldn't reach that far.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Actually 16s speech was a slam against Quakers.

Fight the Kaiser you assholes!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not even Piccolo wielding the Power Pole could reach enough to make that take.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Dude even Kaiser said it wasn't that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Someone named Kaiser would say that

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I considered that possibility too and I'm glad that's not the case because that'd be so much loving worse than it just being bad writing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh the thought had crossed my mind as well.

Even if it wasn't intentional I think it just goes to show that perhaps Kaiser doesn't really get how his own scene could be received.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As a person that sides with the Punch Nazis team, I think reading that scene as a commentary on that is a sign of strong D&D poisoning.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly I didn't know where the 16 speech was gojng at first and it was weird and bad, but then I realized what TFS was actually trying to do there and it owned

they're using the Gohan thing as an extended metaphor for people who don't want to punch Nazis. 16's speech is basically just TFS laying it on the table that they think taking a "moral stance" against punching Nazis is the dumbest thing ever. this is why the language sounds so weird for him to be talking about Gohan: because he's basically not talking to Gohan, he's talking to you.

Raxivace posted:

Even if it wasn't intentional I think it just goes to show that perhaps Kaiser doesn't really get how his own scene could be received.

Yeah, I'm going to third this. But, I agree it wasn't intentional. Especially because...

Shindragon posted:

Dude even Kaiser said it wasn't that.

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1036261534559870976

Not that I knew that, until Shindragon mention it. But, it does speak a lot of a few things. Like, how speech can be interpreted in a political context or how public discourse and public perceptions have changed in a short time.

Dias posted:

As a person that sides with the Punch Nazis team, I think reading that scene as a commentary on that is a sign of strong D&D poisoning.

No, I don't think so. The fact that Kaiserneko had to clarify it wasn't means this isn't a local phenomenon. Enough must have heard it and took that away from it for Kaiser to feel the need to personally respond. There is a clear and present shift in how people take the old philosophical debate of "do not tolerate intolerance" or the "paradox of tolerance" that it immediately takes them to a current event in the media. And it is interesting how even a relatively benign parody of a cartoon series about laser and aliens can get thrown into a political context so easy due to how hyper-politically focused people's perceptions currently are.

It is interesting for content creators. People are quick to politicize what you say and it's something that you do need to be mindful of. This isn't too weird. Everything is political. But, there does be this quickness to "own" something that is vaguely political. Personally, I blame Nazis as they have been doing the "once of us" poo poo for years on twitter for the same kind of poo poo.

But, even then, there is no way to escape political interpretation of you work in any time period. We live in a political world. Everything is a form of politics. When you view something, you bring your bias. If you are seeing on the news that Nazis are running over and killing women in cars and beating black people with boards and standing around statues with torches screaming "Jews will not replace us" while the President blames the valiant counter-protesters fighting the Nazis and the so-called "liberal" politicians sit there and wag their finger at the valiant counter-protesters fighting the Nazis and the so-called "liberal" politicians are saying we should do nothing till the Nazis get bored of killing people and leave on their own, it isn't shocking to think they would be quick to reinterpret a generic "don't tolerate intolerance" speech to "this is about current events," especially if they never heard such a speech before.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 2, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Raxivace posted:

This is a little bit the most cosmic brain post I've read.

"I had a nuclear take that everyone shat on, therefore the author of that scene is wrong since it allowed me to make that hot take."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I mean Death to the Author and all that but eventually you go out so far that you're just projecting completely.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Akett posted:

wonder when android 16 read the script for that part

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is a little bit the most cosmic brain post I've read.

"I had a nuclear take that everyone shat on, therefore the author of that scene is wrong since it allowed me to make that hot take."

I think you are misinterpreting Raxviace. What Raxviace is saying, in less words than I did, isn't "Kaiser is wrong what his scene was about" but "Kaiser must have not realized how it could be perceived by audiences." Raxviace is not saying "Kaiser is wrong what the scene is about" or that "Kaiser intended this", but "Kaiser words could easily be interpreted this way and it clearly was by some people and Kaiser must not have considered this possibility when writing it."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oh oh, I wanna have a hot take on 16's speech! It's just more nerd whinging over Gohan becoming a peaceful bookwarm in the Buu Saga and beyond. The first part was just throwing out whatabouts to make Gohan's trials seem insignificant and then a weak justification at the end. Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged's newest episode had better speeches and one of them was in Elmer Fudd's voice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

16's speech has always been a '(rocket) punch nazis' speech anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

multijoe posted:

16's speech has always been a '(rocket) punch nazis' speech anyways

Yeah, that's why it's a reach because the underlying message has ALWAYS been "sometimes force is the only solution" anyway. It's not like Cell or Gohan were written as a metaphor for anything in DBZA, Gohan wasn't going "look, Cell might wanna kill all inferior beings but we really should let him speak", the tone was the same as the original, "I don't like hurting people, don't make me do it".