Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That car on fire? Looks like an intrepid to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fire or a windowed block was the eventual fate of all of them anyway.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

STR posted:

Fire or a windowed block was the eventual fate of all of them anyway.

Being a Chrysler/Dodge I would think it'd be an exploded transmission.

Or "Exploded FWD transaxle" if you're feeling snotty about it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If anyone gets snotty about that they can shove it. I bet FWD cars with separate diffs are far rarer than RWD cars with transaxles, in both absolute numbers and percent of all _WD models. The distinction is hardly worth making.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
FWD Transmissions with a separate drain and fill just for the diff are bullshit. Even if you change the transmission fluid you'll still have ancient gunk in the diff, and a lot of shops will argue you to death about whether it's necessary or not to also change the diff fluid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this math. I guess I'm comparing the the energy from a falling .22LR round versus a perfect falling screwdriver?

The number I gave for comparison was the bullet's muzzle energy, so being hit by the falling screwdriver is comparable to being shot with a .22. A falling bullet has far less energy than that, as you noted. 9.6 joules is on the order of what you'd get from a low-powered paintball gun (though the falling bullet would do more damage obviously because it's not made of gelatin)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I found my coolant leak.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sagebrush posted:

The number I gave for comparison was the bullet's muzzle energy, so being hit by the falling screwdriver is comparable to being shot with a .22. A falling bullet has far less energy than that, as you noted. 9.6 joules is on the order of what you'd get from a low-powered paintball gun (though the falling bullet would do more damage obviously because it's not made of gelatin)

Why on earth are you people assuming the bullet is at terminal velocity? You can see the angle it hit at, that it was far from falling straight down. There's a round entrance and a non round exit which is perfectly in line with a bullet that's still flying point-first, following an arcing path, and inconsistent with a fall at terminal velocity.

One of you even mentioned the Mythbusters episode where they found that a bullet fired even a few degrees from straight up comes down at bullet speed, not at terminal velocity. They talked to a doctor who told them about people dying from bullets coming down at very steep angles.

If you google for bullet holes in stuff you can see that irregular areas of knocked off paint is normal for bullet holes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wouldn't the exit hole be considerable larger than the entry?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if someone launched a screwdriver? What then, Einstein?

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

InitialDave posted:

I found my coolant leak.

A rover with a coolant leak? Surely Not!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

Wouldn't the exit hole be considerable larger than the entry?

The picture I took didn't show the profile of the exit very well, it basically splits and has two lips that bend backwards with a profile as if a screwdriver was put through it; I would liken it to the mouth of a vent worm, or that one asteroid space worm from Empire Strikes Back. I would think it would take an awful lot of force to go through two layers of sheet aluminum in one go without pushing the surrounding sheet metal downwards.

I guess what I'm trying to say is whatever made the hole was moving fairly quickly and with enough force to penetrate each layer in one go, and I don't know if you could do that with a screwdriver, but it seems difficult to explain the circumstances behind a bullet doing the same thing.

Cojawfee posted:

What if someone launched a screwdriver? What then, Einstein?

It is definitely one of the more likely possibilities that someone launched a screwdriver by transfer of kinetic energy using the big hammer

E: Or, a narrative that makes a decent amount of sense, someone was shooting pigeons and they missed.

Double Edit

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why on earth are you people assuming the bullet is at terminal velocity? You can see the angle it hit at, that it was far from falling straight down. There's a round entrance and a non round exit which is perfectly in line with a bullet that's still flying point-first, following an arcing path, and inconsistent with a fall at terminal velocity.

One of you even mentioned the Mythbusters episode where they found that a bullet fired even a few degrees from straight up comes down at bullet speed, not at terminal velocity. They talked to a doctor who told them about people dying from bullets coming down at very steep angles.

If you google for bullet holes in stuff you can see that irregular areas of knocked off paint is normal for bullet holes.
Terminal velocity is easy to math out, but you're not wrong

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 9, 2018

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

InitialDave posted:

I found my coolant leak.

I knew about total loss oiling systems but that's a new one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This has got me interested, because I've been told this before but I don't really get it. If you're firing a bullet on a steep parabolic trajectory (so gun barrel pointed a few degrees off vertical), doesn't it lose energy until it reaches the summit, at which point it basically 'stops', with just a small amount of horizontal velocity, and from there on in the fastest it can go is [terminal velocity + whatever horizontal speed it has - air resistance]? Seeing as it's just being accelerated by gravity from a stop at that point.

I have never used a gun in my life but I understand how mortars work. Please explain, I want to understand.

And don't tell me to watch mythbusters, can't stand that poo poo.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Gravity doesn't oppose the horizontal speed, the only decrease in the value of the horizontal speed is from wind resistance. Depending on the degrees off vertical that you are firing the decrease in your horizontal speed may be pretty negligible by the time that gravity has stopped the bullet from traveling upwards.

If someone fires a bullet directly upwards, the bullet will have no horizontal speed, and will fall at no more than terminal velocity. It will land on the shooter and make a *boink* noise and probably be uncomfortable
If someone is trying to shoot at a target a decent distance away they aim upwards somewhat to compensate for the force of gravity opposing the bullet's straight path. At the parabola the round's vertical speed becomes zero but the horizontal speed has been reduced by an amount you would consider negligible if you were on the receiving end.
If someone is celebrating the fourth of July on their porch in Tennessee and fires a shotgun slug with 1800 feet per second muzzle velocity at ten degrees off of vertical, it will be initially traveling at about 312 feet per second horizontally, decreased due to wind resistance by an amount I would probably consider negligible if I happen to be standing where it lands

This is an oversimplification of course, but it illustrates the math involved

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A rifle with a big, slow bullet and a trajectory resembling a rainbow at a hundred yards can be reasonably accurate at two miles, and still punch through several inches of pine boards. https://lots showing pretty much the exact angle of the projectile that made the hole in the photo in questions.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
This can be safely shown at a paintball park. If you shoot straight up, the lovely house brand balls bounce off of people when they hit the ground. A 70° arc however will still carry enough velocity to bruise the poo poo out of the poor bastards on top of the castle in the middle of the field.

I've been on the receiving end of that poo poo way too often. Generally when I've just rushed up to mid point and haven't even engaged/seen anyone yet, while I'm still behind the walls.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Kafouille posted:

I knew about total loss oiling systems but that's a new one.

Boil-off cooling has been an accepted part of ultra-high performance air racing for decades now - about time this technology trickled into road vehicles.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IPCRESS posted:

Boil-off cooling has been an accepted part of ultra-high performance air racing for decades now - about time this technology trickled into road vehicles.
It was a trickle. Then it decided to properly piss itself.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's when you install the collection scoop and coolant scavenge pump.

Like ships in the Mass Effect universe!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

I found my coolant leak.

So, what do we win for a correct diagnosis?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I gotta own this one:

Shitbox trailer that was needed to haul our shitbox boat one more loving time. Both trailer and boat were cut up and thrown in a dumpster after this tow.

The helper spring and perch fell off when I turned onto our road. My wife was following me as a debris-removal car, and picked it up.

Far spring has lost it's lower retainer and the helper spring. Near spring has split the retainer in half and the helper spring is bound up and jammed. Good riddance. Thankfully, it was spring under, not spring-over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Student complained "this bandsaw isn't cutting very well"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sagebrush posted:

At least the student noticed.

Given what I've seen as a student going through those types of classes I have to imagine the life insurance questionnaire amounts to the following:

1) Do you pilot private airplanes?
2) Do you smoke 2 packs a day?
3) Are you a shop teacher?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Gravity doesn't oppose the horizontal speed, the only decrease in the value of the horizontal speed is from wind resistance. Depending on the degrees off vertical that you are firing the decrease in your horizontal speed may be pretty negligible by the time that gravity has stopped the bullet from traveling upwards.

If someone fires a bullet directly upwards, the bullet will have no horizontal speed, and will fall at no more than terminal velocity. It will land on the shooter and make a *boink* noise and probably be uncomfortable
If someone is trying to shoot at a target a decent distance away they aim upwards somewhat to compensate for the force of gravity opposing the bullet's straight path. At the parabola the round's vertical speed becomes zero but the horizontal speed has been reduced by an amount you would consider negligible if you were on the receiving end.
If someone is celebrating the fourth of July on their porch in Tennessee and fires a shotgun slug with 1800 feet per second muzzle velocity at ten degrees off of vertical, it will be initially traveling at about 312 feet per second horizontally, decreased due to wind resistance by an amount I would probably consider negligible if I happen to be standing where it lands

This is an oversimplification of course, but it illustrates the math involved

Thanks for the explanation. I think my problem is I'm picturing a trajectory that's basically a spike shape, but in reality bullets go so fast that even only slightly off vertical sends them in a huge semicircular arc which makes sense.

Sagebrush posted:

"Fire it up, touch it and let me know if it's blunt"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sharkytm posted:

I gotta own this one:

Shitbox trailer that was needed to haul our shitbox boat one more loving time. Both trailer and boat were cut up and thrown in a dumpster after this tow.

The helper spring and perch fell off when I turned onto our road. My wife was following me as a debris-removal car, and picked it up.

Far spring has lost it's lower retainer and the helper spring. Near spring has split the retainer in half and the helper spring is bound up and jammed. Good riddance. Thankfully, it was spring under, not spring-over.

That's an impressive amount of iron oxide.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

That's an impressive amount of iron oxide.

Pffft, sitting in the upper midwest..."hold my beer."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sagebrush posted:

My retired shop teacher uncle, who once lost the tip of his index finger showing students how not to put wood thru a table saw, just shuddered involuntarily and doesn't know why.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I found my coolant leak.

Nothing a little FLEX TAPE couldn't fix!!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

I gotta own this one:

Reminds me of the rear crossbar on my boat trailer that I discovered had started to crack in two earlier this summer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah. The trailer was from 1971. The bottom of the main support bar that leads from the A-frame to the hitch coupler was completely gone on the bottom, but I wasn't worried about that nearly as much as the axle/springs. Those old trailers were made out of much thicker steel than the new stuff. I was just hoping to get through the 1981 boat's life with the trailer it came on, so mission accomplished. We're having a new boat built by a local wooden boat builder (all plywood and dimensional lumber, none of that fancy-pants cross-planked fanciness for us), and I've already got a much larger and better trailer in the yard.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
If you wait a few more years it would probably just dissolve completely on its own!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My retired shop teacher uncle, who once lost the tip of his index finger showing students how not to put wood thru a table saw

That must have been a really effective lesson.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That must have been a really effective lesson.

"Don't do this."
*eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr-snip*
:stonk:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
As you can see, there are only a few simple principles to bear in mind, while operating a sophisticated piece of machinery like this........

Table saw?

https://youtu.be/toNsPh-pxgc?t=17

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That link is staying blue.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's a clip from UHF, relax.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I always found this one interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4
It's a guy talking about kickback, and demonstrating how to avoid it

It should be cued up (Edit: it's not, go to 2:30) to the part that was really interesting though, which is where, even though he knew exactly what was going to happen, he still ended up almost losing a finger.

Table saws are dangerous if you're not careful, and I say that as someone who has had 16 stitches and 2 flayed open knuckles because of one. The only reason I still have my right pointer and middle fingers is because of dumb luck that the saw teeth never caught a ligament or bone, just flesh.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AFewBricksShy posted:

I always found this one interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4
It's a guy talking about kickback, and demonstrating how to avoid it

It should be cued up (Edit: it's not, go to 2:30) to the part that was really interesting though, which is where, even though he knew exactly what was going to happen, he still ended up almost losing a finger.

Table saws are dangerous if you're not careful, and I say that as someone who has had 16 stitches and 2 flayed open knuckles because of one. The only reason I still have my right pointer and middle fingers is because of dumb luck that the saw teeth never caught a ligament or bone, just flesh.

That dude rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:stare: Holy poo poo. As I buy more hardware for the shop, that video will definitely influence my plan. His assessment owns, too.