Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, that’s fishy. If you’re lucky, they had some fuckup where they wound up with a huge excess and hit up everyone in the area with a worn roof to see if they could score a quick profit.

I’d keep an eye on the police blotter to see if any nearby job sites were lightened.

Did he watch any part of the job to see if they at least performed vaguely competent work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Another neighbor watched and says they seemed to do good work. They did reinstall the gutter helmet not very even.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A crew asked my mom if she wanted the driveway asphalted for a couple hundred bucks because they had leftover. It has survived over thirty Western Pennsylvania winters, never seal coated.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

I kinda like it, but am disinclined to deal with all of the leaking windows and skylights and their resultant water damage.

Hard to tell if the kitchen and bathrooms were never completed, or being remodeled.

Which pro athlete’s home was this? Looks like a set-piece from the original Rollerball.

Since the yard looks like the sod wasn't finished, I'm going with parts of the house never were. I don't think any pro athletes live out in Stone Mountain; I could be wrong but they usually prefer richer burbs further in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a sunroof on a car I bought brand new fail after 6 years and start leaking.

It was definitely not worth the aggravation. Never again.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hey, do you guys want to see a house specifically designed to hate and loathe disabled people and people who use walkers / wheelchairs? That's marketed to lengthen your lifespan? Oh boy! It's call the Bioscleave house, and some of you probably have heard of it already. Have some pictures.

https://bhshamptons.com/east-hampton-ny-4-bedroom-home-for-sale-106534-10411122/

quote:

Arakawa and Gins both passed away in recent years. In a 2008 New York Times interview, Gins said, “They ought to build hospitals like this.”

This has the floor plan in it:
https://architizer.com/projects/bioscleave-house-lifespan-extending-villa/

This is the kitchen btw:

You have to walk over bumpy concrete(?) to get to it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

value-brand cereal posted:

Hey, do you guys want to see a house specifically designed to hate and loathe disabled people and people who use walkers / wheelchairs? That's marketed to lengthen your lifespan? Oh boy! It's call the Bioscleave house, and some of you probably have heard of it already. Have some pictures.

https://bhshamptons.com/east-hampton-ny-4-bedroom-home-for-sale-106534-10411122/

This is the kitchen btw:

If McMansions stress exist happens when you leave architects out of the design process entirely, this must be what happens when you let them control the process entirely.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That house looks like BIM modeling.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

value-brand cereal posted:

This is the kitchen btw:

Having to scramble over uneven surfaces to get from room to room probably is good for the body in the same way as using a balance ball instead of a computer chair. Keep your muscles and sense of balance tuned up. It still looks really uncomfortable though.

Not sure about the kitchen pit though. If the bathroom floods the shitwater is going to flow down right into the kitchen pit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Didn't know Discovery Zone started building houses

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My car doesn't have a sun/moon roof, and in a stiff rainstorm (THANKS, PNW RAINFOREST), I wake up to standing water on the carpets.

poo poo happens.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My car doesn't have a sun/moon roof, and in a stiff rainstorm (THANKS, PNW RAINFOREST), I wake up to standing water on the carpets.

poo poo happens.

y'all need to blow out your drainage channels

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cars can break you guys really shouldn't buy them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

try a trombone cleaner first, because compressed air can detach the little pipes inside from their mountings

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all need to take this poo poo to AI.

more

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Javid posted:

It sounds like it does leak, just not into the cabin.

Took it through a drive through carwash today, and checked, just for the hell of it. Dry as a bone.

There was ONE time, and I'm pretty sure its what caused the frame around the glass to start rusting. Years ago, I took it through a wash that seemed to have retardedly powerful jets and it leaked a bit.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jaded Burnout posted:

y'all need to blow out your drainage channels

At this point, I need to do a lot of things to a car that's nearly 20 years old.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

Cars can break you guys really shouldn't buy them.

This isn't the argument and you should know better.

Don't add unnecessary features to things (especially life-important things like your car) unless you really like the benefits they offer.

I don't care about sunroofs overmuch. It's just like the fancy rear end cars that can be bricked by a bad software update now and even trap you inside!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

What is a car but a small house

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

more

That house seems pretty unremarkable, what am I looking for? Like, I can see my aunt living there.

Oh, that listing is something though.

quote:

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THE HOME
Warning! See: https://www.mrcooperdeutsch.com breached contract committed 4 of 5 illegal acts others had to settle for $25B to US Government. Then Illegally foreclosed while in federal court!!! Case 1:17-CV-022294-RWS Class Action case. Do NOT do NOT use Nationstar/Deutsche. We are prevailing and will own this home I built with foreclosure vacated.
Okay then.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

That house seems pretty unremarkable, what am I looking for? Like, I can see my aunt living there.

Oh, that listing is something though.

Okay then.

It was the kind of ugly house and the batshit listing which I totally forgot to post. Thanks for pulling that quote out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Mr. cooper can juggle like a motherfucker.

https://www.mrcooper.com/

https://casetext.com/case/hunt-v-nationstar-mortg-llc-2

I guess nation star decided to change his name to mr cooper. Presumably so we can hang with him...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jaded Burnout posted:

What is a car but a small house cottage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzDdaApunI

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hence why I turned around, stopped, and got out to shoot it. The houses across the street are...more modest
Oh, that was a beautiful picture!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yup, that's rural east coast af.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My partner and I bought a house a few months ago and there have been some very terrible things discovered along the way- so many half assed fixes, or trying to cover up broken poo poo rather than actually fixing it. So many loving holes in the wall. This weekend's project is tearing out the hosed up drywall in the garage, installing new outlets in the wall, and then adding insulation before we put new drywall in and fix other holes. The garage is wired but only has one outlet in a pretty inconvenient place. A little bit ago, I hear my name being called and wander out to the garage, where he's proudly standing next to this. "I finally got into the previous owner's head! This is why he knocked a hole in the wall!" :cripes:

(Please excuse the dirt and janky mudroom, it's next on the list to get fixed)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Pulaski house of horrors I posted a couple years ago is still for sale. They cut the price in half to $25k. The Death Stairs are still as deathy as ever.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

The Pulaski house of horrors I posted a couple years ago is still for sale. They cut the price in half to $25k. The Death Stairs are still as deathy as ever.

I feel kind of like Queen Combat did for the lost Scientology compound. For $25,000 I'd do it. Gut the whole thing, or just level the house completely and start over. Pulaski must be fairly remote for that not to be on the table for a lot buyers.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah for $25k you could spend another $25k on doing the interior in a super basic-rear end style, and have something that (checking Zillow for the area prices per square foot) around $100k. Or just remove the stairs of death and live in it for the next 10 years while spending the money you'd otherwise spend on a mortgage investing in literally any market. Then sell it to the next sucker (with basic drywall and other livability fixes inside) for $40k and move one.

quote:

Zillow estimated mortgage: $105/month
:laffo:

poo poo, or just spend $25k on a nice small cottage-style house and do the same thing. gently caress, Pulaski must suck for these house prices.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

25K is too much, I pass through that area on the way to visit family and the nearest large towns are Beckley WV, Winston Salem NC, and Roanoke VA.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

25K is too much, I pass through that area on the way to visit family and the nearest large towns are Beckley WV, Winston Salem NC, and Roanoke VA.

So a good stopping point on your way to become a forest witch.

Speaking of forest, am I crazy for kind of liking this?

It's like a tree house in the middle of the city.

more

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No that owns.

I just had my own fence built almost identical to that one so I might be biased though.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah that's pretty loving dope except for the blue angled tile shower stall (I'd rip it out and replace it with one of those semicircular space age corner shower stalls with like eighteen jets and a personal butler to clean it every day).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's stopping the trees chewing up the house from underneath? I've seen a handful of little cabins that have been abandoned in the woods after root growth caused them to go out of level, and I'm wondering if construction has found a good answer for that problem?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure, release termites.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah for $25k you could spend another $25k on doing the interior in a super basic-rear end style, and have something that (checking Zillow for the area prices per square foot) around $100k. Or just remove the stairs of death and live in it for the next 10 years while spending the money you'd otherwise spend on a mortgage investing in literally any market. Then sell it to the next sucker (with basic drywall and other livability fixes inside) for $40k and move one.

:laffo:

poo poo, or just spend $25k on a nice small cottage-style house and do the same thing. gently caress, Pulaski must suck for these house prices.

Pulaski is just a blighted old coal town in southwest VA, pretty scenery but there's no industry or anything there now. See also Wytheville, Tazewell, Galax, and Bluefield.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

What's stopping the trees chewing up the house from underneath? I've seen a handful of little cabins that have been abandoned in the woods after root growth caused them to go out of level, and I'm wondering if construction has found a good answer for that problem?

Most of these 'treehouse homes' sit on concrete pilings, so root growth won't be an immediate threat. You could easily inspect every 2 or 3 years and manage it with some root and overhang trimming.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

shame on an IGA posted:

Youth Decay posted:

Pulaski is just a blighted old coal town in southwest VA, pretty scenery but there's no industry or anything there now. See also Wytheville, Tazewell, Galax, and Bluefield.

I've lived in Wytheville and Galax long ago. Pretty, but yeah, basically dead. Roanoke always seemed like a relatively nice place, though?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I would love to live in the elf palace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

Pilings and packed soil. Also none of those trees are actually all that close to the house when you look at it. It's probably got at least 15-foot buffer of patios and decks which puts the foundation out of reach of the tree's roots. Some sprawling 100 year-old oak might be a concern, but nothing there looks older than the house.