Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vegeta's gotta be at least passively interested in Gohan because he's a proof of concept for the continuation of the Saiyan race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Vegeta's gotta be at least passively interested in Gohan because he's a proof of concept for the continuation of the Saiyan race

He still believed in him and tried to get him in the 6 vs 7 Universal Tournament.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just realized DBM never just did a universe where Gohan loved fighting and academics and became the strongest, smartest being in his universe.

God DBM sucks.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Covok posted:

I just realized DBM never just did a universe where Gohan loved fighting and academics and became the strongest, smartest being in his universe.

God DBM sucks.

DBM's universes are largely precipitated by a single change causing the timeline to diverge, and Gohan being a nerd is too firm a universal standard to change.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only setup you need for that universe is to have chichi die when gohan's a baby. gohan wouldn't even know how to read if goku was a single father

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Raditz steals gohan and leaves. Kills Piccolo before he leaves and they don't learn about namek.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What the gently caress does Bulma see in Vegeta anyway?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

Well, first of all he's incredibly muscular and will remain at peak hotness until his 80s. Pretty sure the trophy husband thing is a part of it, or at least was at some point.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wanna know how that happened. Were they fans? Did someone on the staff have a connection to them? I'm not expecting like, an epic tale or anything. It's just really cool and it seems crazy that the bassist from Parliament and the guitarist from Guns n Roses wrote original music for Dragon Ball Z

Buckethead writes so many songs a year that you can probably yell at him "hey do a song about my good friend trunks" and he'd do it eventually.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Star Man posted:

He's swaggeringly confident and a strong personality but is also completely dependent on her in a weird way he would never admit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, he's a fit guy with boundless energy and strength. He's a Bad Boy, yet for all his 'badness' he never hits her or is physically abusive in any way, and he hits her Goku switch, which got flipped when she saw Goku at the 23rd and then summarily had to be de-flipped once Chi-Chi got involved.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Also Bulma has very poor taste in men.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bulma dated yamcha so it's not like she has standards

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Vegeta is a good dude

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Vegeta may have killed a civilzation or two, grilled people and eaten their flesh and murdered a few thousand people in cold blood without blinking

but when all is said and done, he is a good man

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

bulma dated yamcha so it's not like she has standards

For ten years, she dated Yamcha for a decade

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zzulu posted:

Vegeta may have killed a civilzation or two, grilled people and eaten their flesh and murdered a few thousand people in cold blood without blinking

But he’s cool, so most people don’t give a poo poo. I think he gets off too easy. His karmic debt was kind of paid off via the ToP, I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vegeta paid his debt at the end of dbz. that's why he was revived when they wished all the good people that buu killed back to life

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Goodbody posted:

For ten years, she dated Yamcha for a decade

I thought they had broken up by the last martial arts tournament which is why Bulma was all holy poo poo Goku got hot

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Manatee Cannon posted:

vegeta paid his debt at the end of dbz. that's why he was revived when they wished all the good people that buu killed back to life

Ehhhh, I don’t think saving one planet makes up for dozens or hundreds in his lifetime, but it set him on the right path, anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I thought they had broken up by the last martial arts tournament which is why Bulma was all holy poo poo Goku got hot

TBH I’m pretty sure they’re an on again/off again thing for like the entirety of DB, until Z when he fucks up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Ehhhh, I don’t think saving one planet makes up for dozens or hundreds in his lifetime, but it set him on the right path, anyway.

Good justice systems are about rehabilitation and Vegeta has definitely been rehabilitated by the end of Z

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RBX posted:

Vegeta is a good dude

Now he is

He wasn't for a very long time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nanigans posted:

Uhhhhh except the universe itself forgave him and acknowledged that he was a good person now when he was revived with the bring back every good person Buu killed

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

more importantly vegeta is a good... at fighting!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Calaveron posted:

Uhhhhh except the universe itself forgave him and acknowledged that he was a good person now when he was revived with the bring back every good person Buu killed

I’m not arguing with you. I’m saying he was on the path to becoming a good person, so he got revived. But being a truly good person, as stated, is about rehabilitation and repentance and I don’t think helping to save Earth alone is enough. It took him doing some real soul searching, repairing his relationship with his family, and eventually saving the multiverse to put him in the camp of “formerly bad person trying to do good” to “good person.”

It’s semantics, I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nanigans posted:

that's not how redemption works

he was literally by definition a good person at the end of z. it's factually what happened

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zedd posted:

I always got the idea that while Vegeta didn't like and wanted to kill him (until he mellowed out) he always did sort of respect Gohan after the Vegeta vs Goku fight.
Vegeta and Gohan fought together on Namek: this would enables Vegeta to claim partial credit for his development. Gohan is the next generation so it's more of an indirect competition of power, and Vegeta ultimately does respect pure strength up to that point so he would give credit where it is due when he wasn't angry.

Goku blows past Vegeta all the time but Gohan actually ended up dealing not one but two of the biggest blows to Vegeta in that fight and the second one actually took him down.

For all the hype surrounding Goku and Vegeta's beam clash it basically amounted to Vegeta getting a few scratches.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Calaveron posted:

The wish wasn't for good people to be revived, it was for everyone, except the really bad, to be revived. Vegeta just made the cutoff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also I've been thinking about it recently and the real reason Gohan isn't the strongest in the universe is simply that he doesn't get pissed like he used to.

Set him off good and proper like the old days and away he'll go

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's not how redemption works

he was literally by definition a good person at the end of z. it's factually what happened

Like I said, it’s semantics. We’re talking degrees here, not a binary good/bad switch. I don’t think the guy who gleefully murdered millions/billions? in his lifetime and just that same day killed a quarter stadium of innocent people was now all of a sudden Mr. Rogers.

He realizes the error of his way and makes a conscious decision to be better, which =/= being better. But you go ahead and believe what you want. At the end of the day, we all agree he’s good now as of Super, so who cares?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Like I said, it’s semantics. We’re talking degrees here, not a binary good/bad switch. I don’t think the guy who gleefully murdered millions/billions? in his lifetime and just that same day killed a quarter stadium of innocent people was now all of a sudden Mr. Rogers.

He realizes the error of his way and makes a conscious decision to be better, which =/= being better. But you go ahead and believe what you want. At the end of the day, we all agree he’s good now as of Super, so who cares?

The universe of dragon ball disagrees with you

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Redemption isn't reparation.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Andrast posted:

The universe of dragon ball disagrees with you

Rudoku posted:

The wish wasn't for good people to be revived, it was for everyone, except the really bad, to be revived. Vegeta just made the cutoff.

I mean, there you go. It doesn’t.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I mean, there you go.

So he’s literally not a bad guy anymore. Redemption successful :toot:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if the idea that he has to save an equal or greater number of people to be redeemed held any water, that wish wouldn't have brought him back to life because he would still be unequivocally evil

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I think you should also add up the power levels of everyone he killed or saved to really understand Dragon Ball. Now, whats the power level of an average Namekian?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On that subject I liked the part in the early U6 vs U7 arc when Goku was all hey Vegeta remember when you tried to destroy earth and Vegeta acts all embarrassed about it like it was a youthful indiscretion in the same vein as a bad haircut or lovely facial hair.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zzulu posted:

On the whole, Vegeta is a man of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

vegeta is cool, do not attack his character