Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just use a Phillips on those. Pozi is Japanese for Phillips.

This is a joke post right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes.

Sickening posted:

I haven't had an issue with the screws that have come with anything I have racked myself.
:shrug:

I personally do maybe 1% of the racking. Most of it is Other People.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

H110Hawk posted:

Yes.

I personally do maybe 1% of the racking. Most of it is Other People.

:same:

I have racked maybe 5 total things in the last 5 years and none of them were because I had to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everything should come with Dell rails

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

I have racked maybe 5 total things in the last 5 years and none of them were because I had to.

The only reason I'm doing racking right now is the people we had install these put them in backwards. And in the wrong rack.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I really like the rails from Cisco c series. I also have not racked anything for years.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I just finished racking all the poo poo in my cabinet since the move (yes I have a completely full 42u cabinet in my house. gently caress you.) and for the first time in like 15 years I did it right:

First, when I untracked everything I threw away all of the rack nuts and screws and all the spares I had. Goodbye eight different rack screw and nuts combinations that I would have to sift through to find a matching pair.

Second, I bought a metric fuckton of rack nuts and screws. A big jar of nuts and a big jar of screws and all of jar A work with all of jar B.

Third, and the best thing ever, is that I bought an industrial strength rack tool for like a million dollars. It didn’t break, notch, strip, slip or otherwise gently caress with my racking of the aforementioned poo poo. I loving love this loving tool.

How did I wait so long to buy this thing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What’s a rack tool?

I finally went out and bought a cheap power screwdriver.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The best rail kits are ones that someone else has to install.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What is in a full 42u rack at home? I am fascinated.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Haven't racked anything since 2007 but

Thanks Ants posted:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What is in a full 42u rack at home? I am fascinated.

post your networking closet

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, he's trying to get you to gently caress up your Phillips head screwdriver trying to tighten them. I bet he actually works at a hardware store and hangs out on forums like this all day giving bum advice to drum up sales. A total Pozi scheme.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

What’s a rack tool?

I finally went out and bought a cheap power screwdriver.

A cage nut insertion tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Cage-Insertion-Tool-Square-4HARCNITOOL/dp/B00DL09HPU

This and a power screwdriver make me a true racking hero.

And I’ll do a write up post of my stupid cabinet when I get home from the road on Wednesday.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CloFan posted:

post your networking closet

Not a closet. I just like posting this picture

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Channellocks are the one true cage nut removal tool.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The cloud is my home lab.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m kind of concerned with how much you put in there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Sometimes I go into /r/homelab to laugh at the idiots shoving 2950s into closets.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

The cloud is my home lab.

This is a also my answer. I miss and do not miss having a physical home lab.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone here attend WGU or any other online college? How did it turn out?

I’m thinking about going back to school despite being gainfully employed for a decade because my employer will pay and with a degree I’ll be able to pass that HR checkbox.

My main goal is getting a gig at a local or state government in the future. I’ve had enough of corporate for-profit IT positions.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I finished my homelab the Thursday before "just spin up free instances online" became the right answer. Cool.

Saving grace is that I've always treated my homelab differently than the r/homelab crowd. My "homelab" is a PC with as much memory as it can handle and a copy of VMware Workstation installed. So I have 3 overbuilt PCs throughout my house which run the VMs that make up the lab, but at least even if the homelab is useless, the PCs are still put to good use. I think the people in r/homelab who are buying rackmount servers are vastly overestimating their needs.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 11, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can’t imagine living in a house with a rack server running at full tilt. And the stuff old enough to be cheap is going to eat power.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't really have a problem with normal coarse-thread rack screws, but -- and I'm surprised this hasn't come up already this go-round -- for those quick racks with cage nuts, take a look at RackStuds instead: https://rackstuds.com/ Besides not hurting your thumbs when installing, it makes it way easier to install when it's just you installing by yourself because you can put them in and then just hang the gear on it before putting the caps on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I’m thinking about going back to school despite being gainfully employed for a decade because my employer will pay and with a degree I’ll be able to pass that HR checkbox.

My main goal is getting a gig at a local or state government in the future. I’ve had enough of corporate for-profit IT positions.

I've been thinking about WGU for a masters. I have some colleagues that got their masters from there, and they haven't had any issues when they moved jobs.

From my understanding WGU is accredited and one the few that don't look to tuition gouge (I don't *think* they're a for-profit diploma mill like U of Phoenix)

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It comes up all the time in the various IT threads, and pretty much always highly recommended.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

I'd recommend heading to the certificate thread, lots of wgu chat. Long story short, I finished my bachelor's there and jumped jobs for a 6 figure gig within a year. The certs that go with the degree compliment it really well, so you're getting the hr checkbox and industry knowledge credibility. Not just one or the other.

And the fact that you can take as many classes in a semester as you can finish is awesome. You pay for 6 months, take one class at a time at your own pace, and when you pass the final you move on to the next. I finished something like 27 credit hours my first term without paying any extra.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Jesus Christ I've heard you guys talk a lot about WGU and decided to take the dive and look into it. I was filling out a form for more information and they called me before I was even done filling it out. I don't know whether to be impressed or annoyed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a WGU grad as well, nothing bad to say at all. Quality of the education was just as good as the courses I took for my AAS and courses I took at Arizona State.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

A cage nut insertion tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Cage-Insertion-Tool-Square-4HARCNITOOL/dp/B00DL09HPU

This and a power screwdriver make me a true racking hero.

And I’ll do a write up post of my stupid cabinet when I get home from the road on Wednesday.

Agrikk, buddy, we HAD this debate. Like five years ago. I said then, and I maintain now, that those types of cage nut tools are not only awful but dangerous. The RIGHT kind of cage nut tool is this one:

https://store.cablesplususa.com/cagenuttool.html

No chance of stabbing yourself in the hand or somewhere else, and a lot less effort and fiddling required - just squeeze and insert. ( :v: ).

Also I wish I still had my 42U - it wasn't having the space for it, or having the equipment to go into it or any of that that made me get rid of it, it was the goddamn power bill. Turns out in CA running your own VMware cluster (admittedly this was in 2012 with old Dell servers and Cisco switches, all of which are powermongers) makes your power bill go through the roof and I had to downsize to one stupid VM host using a Xeon-D SOC with two 5w 10 TB hard drives (total of 45 watts but no speed and no redundancy, ugh). And it's extraordinarily silly to have a single 1U short-depth "server" in a 42U rack.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Modern Lenovo (IBM?) rails were pretty good to install. No tools, or cage nuts to deal with and you can do it one handed easily if there is at least one rail below you to rest on.

They just snapped in

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Who needs a homelab if you can use the butt for everything?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Yeah, he's trying to get you to gently caress up your Phillips head screwdriver trying to tighten them. I bet he actually works at a hardware store and hangs out on forums like this all day giving bum advice to drum up sales. A total Pozi scheme.

A+

Tab8715 posted:

WGU is good. ~$3300 per six months, pass all the classes you can manage to pass in that time. You've really gotta be somewhat disciplined, but it's an excellent deal and feels very efficient.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm doing WGU right now for IT - Security. I'm on my last class and should be graduating at the end of this year.

Like others have touched on, it's a school for people who are self-disciplined because it's all go at your own pace. You have 6 months term and can complete as many classes as you want in that term. If you're already proficient in a class you need to take you can knock it out in a couple days or weeks. You end up graduating from a non-profit, regionally accredited school and will have a handful of industry certs along with it. My course will have a bunch of CompTia certs, Security+, Linux+, CCNA and CCNA Security along with the degree. All the cert tests are included with the tuition plus up to 2 retakes if necessary. All learning material, books, CBTNuggets, Lynda.com, Pluralsight, other stuff is all included for the classes as well.

WGU's admissions are for people who either have some college experience and can transfer in classes (like AA) or already have certs that will translate into completed classes. If you have no prior school or industry experience you may be rejected. They're really catering to working professionals.

One negative I've seen is that because WGU operates on Pass/Fail basis, your GPA after graduating will be a flat 3.0. This may be an issue if you have a specific school you want to transfer to for a Masters, but WGU does keep list of schools their alumni have transferred to: https://alumni.wgu.edu/s/1110/16/site/wide.aspx?sid=1110&gid=1&pgid=1246

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FCKGW posted:

One negative I've seen is that because WGU operates on Pass/Fail basis, your GPA after graduating will be a flat 3.0. This may be an issue if you have a specific school you want to transfer to for a Masters, but WGU does keep list of schools their alumni have transferred to: https://alumni.wgu.edu/s/1110/16/site/wide.aspx?sid=1110&gid=1&pgid=1246

I forgot about this. The lack of a letter grade was an issue with work's tuition reimbursement. Got them to agree to pay out at 80% though instead of 50% since they used to do reimbursement by course grade.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Agrikk, buddy, we HAD this debate. Like five years ago. I said then, and I maintain now, that those types of cage nut tools are not only awful but dangerous. The RIGHT kind of cage nut tool is this one:

https://store.cablesplususa.com/cagenuttool.html

No chance of stabbing yourself in the hand or somewhere else, and a lot less effort and fiddling required - just squeeze and insert. ( :v: ).

I remember having this debate, but thought the tool looked like nail clippers and nail clippers squick me out. I like the tool I bought simply because pulling the tool through the nut hole is easy enough. :shrug:

I’m still on the road so no 42U pics yet. But really quick I have four 2U UPSes, a database server, a SSD SAN, a utility/backup server, 2x LTO-3 tape drives, 3 VMware hosts, a file server, a Folding@Home rig, two firewalls, a 10gig fiber switch and a gigE PoE switch.

Almost all of my servers all run platinum grade PSUs but yes, my electricity bill is high. But it’s all tax deductible against my business expenses so it isn’t that bad. But I have to have exhaust fans running 24x7 in my garage to keep temps in my garage a balmy 80-85F.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 11, 2018

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

But I have to have exhaust fans running 24x7 in my garage to keep temps in my garage a balmy 80-85F.

:stare:

This is a great reason to put your home lab in someone else's datacenter.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

nullfunction posted:

:stare:

This is a great reason to put your home lab in someone else's datacenter.

I had free data center and bandwidth for years, but that relationship ended and I still need my gear up. I’m not about to spend $600+ per month for this so the garage works just fine.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Agrikk posted:

I remember having this debate, but thought the tool looked like nail clippers and nail clippers squick me out. I like the tool I bought simply because pulling the tool through the nut hole is easy enough. :shrug:

I’m still on the road so no 42U pics yet. But really quick I have four 2U UPSes, a database server, a SSD SAN, a utility/backup server, 2x LTO-3 tape drives, 3 VMware hosts, a file server, a Folding@Home rig, two firewalls, a 10gig fiber switch and a gigE PoE switch.

Almost all of my servers all run platinum grade PSUs but yes, my electricity bill is high. But it’s all tax deductible against my business expenses so it isn’t that bad. But I have to have exhaust fans running 24x7 in my garage to keep temps in my garage a balmy 80-85F.

How ram/cpu/disk do you need? Hosting costs have dropped dramatically in the last few years. It could be cheaper than your power bill to rent what you need from OVH, Hetzner, Online.net, Leaseweb, Softlayer etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You guys know you're not going to change his mind right? If the guy's running 42U of equipment at home, he probably knows how much it would cost to run in the cloud. People have hobbies, his is turning electricity into heat.