Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

Is this because Georgia has a thriving first-world city (Atlanta) to influence statewide politics? I feel like North Carolina is similar because of Charlotte/Raleigh/RTP.

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia having a lot of commercial, transportation, and services corporations headquartered in Atlanta helps with regulations. As opposed to states with a lot of mining, oil, and gas production where a plethora of regulations are definitely not a thing.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of CCNAs i've interviewed who don't know how to make a serial connection in Putty

The last CCNA my boss interviewed got tripped up on a traceroute question. And here I am continually pushing back my CCENT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of CCNAs i've interviewed who don't know how to make a serial connection in Putty

Are these people who claim to have experience? Not being able to make a serial connection in PuTTY is a bit odd, since it consists entirely of clicking "Serial." CCNA students are often using something like Packet Tracer though, where they don't use a "real" terminal emulator at all, they just double-click on the device they want to access. If you put them in front of a PuTTY window I'd hope they could figure it out.

The lack of real-world stuff in the CCNA is its biggest problem. If you put someone with perfect knowledge of the CCNA curriculum and zero experience in a room with boxes of gear and told them to build the site's network they'd be completely lost at even the physical side of things, like racking gear or stacking switches. I don't know if any networking vendor offers a certification that covers that stuff, it's all stuff I was taught on the job.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When someone asks you about how traceroute works the correct answer is "windows or unix?"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I don’t know how to make a serial connection with putty.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

I don’t know how to make a serial connection with putty.

tbh I'd count it as being -10 points if someone told me they actually use putty as their terminal emulator.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

“I plug it into the out of band console server and configure it from there. We have one, right?”

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’d inform them that physical networking is prehistoric and we all use sdn now. Welcome to openvswitch

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I exist solely in the cloud where there is no networking only clod :smug:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methanar posted:

tbh I'd count it as being -10 points if someone told me they actually use putty as their terminal emulator.

Serious question: what would you use instead?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Cygwin? Windows new bash shell. Securecrt?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

There's nothing wrong with using PuTTY. There are better tools, but it does the job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agrikk posted:

I use MobaXterm, it's nice? The built-in SCP is handy sometimes.

I'm literally an babby on the command line though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I have been a network engineer for several years and use PuTTY with MTPuTTY as my everyday terminal emulator, so I'd be fascinated to know what the problem with it is. I am sure there are more full-featured alternatives but it seems to have the essentials well covered.

Also, given how rarely I connect to something that's actually on a local machine serial port I wouldn't at all be surprised by someone not knowing how to do it. I only recall that being a thing when tinkering at home or xmodeming an old bricked switch - otherwise we use terminal servers for everything.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
SecureCRT was always my goto just because it did tabs well before anyone else got close and im not sure even if anyone else is close today other than terminal.app

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Something with tabs, or search, or split pane, or profiles, or command mirroring

Putty isn't even a shell terminal. Its not even openSSH, so you can't do things with an ssh config file, like set a periodic ping so weird firewall rules don't boot you for inactivity after 60 seconds. Or use different ssh keys/usernames for hostname patterns. I'm pretty sure putty also does something really dumb like paste on right click which could be anywhere from annoying to catastrophic. I also remember putty not properly being able to skip words forwards or backwards.

If you're using putty regularly I'm going to be extremely confused as to why you're crippling yourself with garbage tools.

It also outs you as a Windowser.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 16, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Where the hell do you work where Windows isn't the workstation OS for everyone

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

My place. MacOS for life, bitch.

E: However, on the occasions I have had to endure a windows box, I just used PuTTY.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

The world is so much bigger than Windows

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

I mean, it has it's place. But for what I do, a UNIX operating system is more appropriate. And WSL is so god drat clunky.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Thanks, you literal infant. It's completely normal for a workplace workstation to be Windows, hence you're a dumbass for judging someone for using Windows at work. You need to tone down your arrogance and go back to sweeping parking lots for a bit.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Methanar posted:

Something with tabs, or search, or split pane, or profiles, or command mirroring

Putty isn't even a shell terminal. Its not even openSSH, so you can't do things with an ssh config file.

If you're using putty regularly I'm going to be extremely confused as to why you're crippling yourself with garbage tools.

I agree that tabs and split pane are great, thus the "with MTPuTTY". Rest of that doesn't come up much.

"Isn't even a shell terminal" is kind of a weird statement - I can open WSL or cmd.exe separately if I want to. I don't ever find myself needing to 'do things' with an ssh config file, and if I did I could use PuTTY to connect to a Linux server in 2 seconds and go from there.

Clearly the rest of the world doesn't all agree with you what "garbage tools" are, and you shouldn't get so wrapped up in OS choice especially without understanding the circumstances driving it - you're just coming off as a zealot here.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Still waiting for my bosses to hire more staff. Last update was they were looking at a guy whose spent the last 14 years working in the film developing department at Wal-Mart. Why not just hire a typewriter repairman or old-timey gas-lantern lighters to manage these Cisco switches.

He has his CCNA but has never worked with the hardware. :wtc:

That sounds like a guy my IT director would hire, a (potential) tinkerer.
There are 3 IT job openings on our website and the consensus is that we have to coach our director in not hiring the guy that likes to tinker with hardware/software like it's his homelab.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 16, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm tunneling on this hard because this was originally phrased as being interview questions. If I were conducting an interview for some kind of infrastructure position, I'd take voluntary putty usage as a red flag when there way better tools out there. Putty just has a negative connotation to me. Probably because that's what I first used before I knew any better.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Eletriarnation posted:

Clearly the rest of the world doesn't all agree with you what "garbage tools" are, and you shouldn't get so wrapped up in OS choice especially without understanding the circumstances driving it - you're just coming off as a zealot here.

Not a zealot, just someone who tasted FREEDOM (as in free beer) and will never go back!

On a more serious note, putty is what I used for years and it’s fine. There are applications that are more feature rich that make life a lot more pleasant compared to putty.

I wouldn’t call it a garbage tool, but I’d be genuinely surprised if you work in shells all day and use putty for that. I’d be interested in why someone would chiose putty over mobacterm/securecrt or even WSL with tmux.

Edit: beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Methanar posted:

I'm tunneling on this hard because this was originally phrased as being interview questions. If I were conducting an interview for some kind of infrastructure position, I'd take voluntary putty usage as a red flag when there way better tools out there. Putty just has a negative connotation to me. Probably because that's what I first used before I knew any better.

someone that relies on terminal emulator QoL things to do their work is probably loving up somewhere is my spicy hot take

with good automation and ci/cd the amount of time you spend in terminals should be extremely low and it should basically be "running automation commands" (unless you're a neteng ofc)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

abigserve posted:

with good automation and ci/cd the amount of time you spend in terminals should be extremely low and it should basically be "running automation commands" (unless you're a neteng ofc)

you're so cute, I like you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Putty is used because that’s what people know and it’s free! SecureCRT isn’t.

Now days I just use the Windows Bash Shell and I’m not sure if it’s even out of beta.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abigserve posted:

someone that relies on terminal emulator QoL things to do their work is probably loving up somewhere is my spicy hot take

I use vim

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

jaegerx posted:

you're so cute, I like you.

That was somewhat disingenuous, it's not like I don't still have at least one terminal window open all day every day but it feels like it's only used for running ansible commands. Gone are the days where I needed 10 windows open to troubleshoot an issue or build some new infrastructure.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Methanar posted:

I use vim

i swapped off of vim after several years using it and while it took a lot of convincing at the time it was so worth it

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

The Fool posted:

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Eh, it's not bad. Working at the reference desk in a public library support at a university public lab prepares you for the worst and a game company certainly isn't.

I can attest to that as well, trying to get students to stop using pirated versions of windows at the reference desk of a university was how I got into IT.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abigserve posted:

i swapped off of vim after several years using it and while it took a lot of convincing at the time it was so worth it

what do you use now

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Methanar posted:

what do you use now

Notepad :discourse:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Methanar posted:

what do you use now

jetbrains. Syntax highlighting out of the box for basically every format under the sun in addition to the obvious stuff

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Methanar posted:

what do you use now

Vi. Nano is a crutch.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

There are plenty of options. I don't really care for PuTTY but I've still used it plenty. For quick one-off stuff I've used PuTTY, TeraTerm, and built-in Windows telnet/ssh clients on Windows, and screen on OS X and Linux. I used minicom once on Linux too. On Windows I actually prefer TeraTerm.

For heavier-weight stuff it's nice to have something that lets you store all your hosts and manage credentials. I've used Royal for that, it's nice in a lot of ways and lets you store connections besides plain terminals, like RDP. I hate its PuTTY plugin, because it doesn't give the certificate warning window focus, which is infuriating because I have to click it with a mouse, taking my hands off the keyboard. Royal is janky in other ways too but overall it's a nice thing to have. It supports tabs etc. as well.

I've seen people here rave about SecureCRT but it seems awfully expensive for what it is. I haven't tried it myself. Friends of mine speak highly of terminator and cmder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Internet Explorer Putty is what you use to download a better browser terminal emulator.

It's probably what you were raised on. We had a hacked copy of SecureCRT at my first job, so everyone used that. Fast forward 18 years and I'm buying my own copy because I just can't handle the way Putty looks and functions. It's not bad, it's just not as good as everything else.

Terminal.app is still the best though. Then SecureCRT, then MobiXterm, then a bunch of other stuff, and finally Putty.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vSSH on macOS and Prompt2 on iPad Pro.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Methanar posted:

I use SecureCRT and cmder for quick SSH sometimes - used to use SuperPutty before. We're not going to put SecureCRT on the practical test PC though in case someone hasn't used it. Almost everyone applying for a network engineer position (senior or junior) should have used Putty at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

LochNessMonster posted:

Not a zealot, just someone who tasted FREEDOM (as in free beer) and will never go back!

On a more serious note, putty is what I used for years and it’s fine. There are applications that are more feature rich that make life a lot more pleasant compared to putty.

I wouldn’t call it a garbage tool, but I’d be genuinely surprised if you work in shells all day and use putty for that. I’d be interested in why someone would chiose putty over mobacterm/securecrt or even WSL with tmux.

Edit: beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

So I think the missing link in this conversation is that MTPuTTY adds in a lot of the quality of life features that people are complaining about PuTTY not having. I'll admit that I'm probably here because PuTTY is the first terminal emulator I ever got really used to, and so it was my starting point when I started looking for something more powerful a few years into the job.

I considered SecureCRT but I didn't have a lot of firsthand experience with it and didn't see a compelling reason to pay for a license vs. using MTPuTTY free. WSL is great but I'd have to practice with tmux some to feel like it was helping me more than just PuTTY tabs do.

MobaXterm is new to me and looks very interesting, I'll have to try it out. (e: the free tier limits you to 12 sessions? ick) With MTPuTTY no longer being actively maintained it's probably a good idea to find an alternative before my hand is forced. Still though, even when I think really hard about it I don't know if it would be much of a problem using nothing but vanilla PuTTY for my workflow. Anytime I need to do something repetitive or to multiple systems I'm generally using scripts, and everything I connect to is either a short memorized IP or in a hosts file on a jump server. The only really important features to me are things like "logs to a file" and "even column widths".

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 16, 2018