Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The only way I can fly in a roaming cell coverage area is by putting my phone into airplane mode first, then everything is fine. Otherwise it detects a firmware version update needed (there isn't) and the phone disconnects and won't reconnect.

I'm no photographer, I just enjoy the hardware and flight controller quality so predictably DJI to me feels like 80% fiddly confusing garbage I'll never use :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mister Sinewave posted:

The only way I can fly in a roaming cell coverage area is by putting my phone into airplane mode first, then everything is fine. Otherwise it detects a firmware version update needed (there isn't) and the phone disconnects and won't reconnect.

I'm no photographer, I just enjoy the hardware and flight controller quality so predictably DJI to me feels like 80% fiddly confusing garbage I'll never use :v:

This was also my solution to the issue, though mine happens regardless of cell status. It's happened to multiple people I know using mavics with pixel phones.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Might be worth seeing if anyone's reverse-engineered the protocol and written a third party client that is less flaky; that's already been done with the Tello and, frankly, the hacked together proof of concept Python client is way more reliable for me than the official Android client.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a friend uses an android app called Litchi to control his phantom

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Litchi is a fine alternative; stop using android phones is another solution.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

moron izzard posted:

Litchi is a fine alternative; stop using android phones is another solution.

I bought an iPad yesterday and it worked flawlessly. It's kind of awkward using such a big device but it's also nice having that much screen to look at.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Sea Duck major construction is complete- still need to build the cowlings and pontoons, then paint the thing. I wanted to use my taranis instead of digging out my spectrum stick radio so I did the jumper mod to an x4r-sb to make it into a regular 4 channel x4r, set up elevator and ailerons for servos and differential thrust for yaw control. I think installing and removing batteries through the hatch is going to be a pita so I might just do it once and leave that pack inside.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you can solder frsky makes a 6ch PWM receiver that’s :10bucks: and has decent range.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
That thing is a mighty beast! How long does assembling one of those take?

I was just finishing up on my new FT Arrow tonight, hoping to fly it tomorrow. The last one I had split in half on a bad crash, I repaired it, then it split down the other side on the next crash, so this one I built the box spar through the whole wing. There's also an F4 flight controller and GPS because I LOVE THIS poo poo. I need to get a drat smaller receiver than this FlySky business but isn't it wrong to spend $12 on a micro receiver when I don't really want to stick with flysky long-term?

The goalposts holding the motor in I call "Reflex Sticks".

What does everyone flying fixed wing do with their opposite props they have left over because they have to buy sets of CW+CCW on small sizes like 6x and 5x? I accumulated like 20 backward props while learning how to fly.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
There isn't a rule that says you can only use CCW.

E: and aren't flying wings like yours the most forgiving?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CapnBry posted:

What does everyone flying fixed wing do with their opposite props they have left over because they have to buy sets of CW+CCW on small sizes like 6x and 5x? I accumulated like 20 backward props while learning how to fly.

You change the motor direction.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
From my posting history, you likely are aware that I haven't gotten a lot of flight time in on a battery:

Picked up an RTF XK-A600 for a song and have had access to a very convenient flying location while at a friend's cabin. I'm trying to understand why sometimes the 2S battery doesn't drain more uniformly and if there is anything I can do to prevent this. I understand that discharging this low isn't good for the battery at all. It didn't have any warning sign before a sudden drop in thrust, after which I immediately landed. I had some flights lasting 20 minutes, no problem, and some 15 minute flights ending at 3.75v and 3.74v. Photo below is from a 10 minute flight under slightly more windy conditions, so I can understand increased power consumption, but I almost lost the plane in the water. Any tips/advice so I can avoid this before ruining more expensive batteries?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Corky Romanovsky posted:

From my posting history, you likely are aware that I haven't gotten a lot of flight time in on a battery:

Picked up an RTF XK-A600 for a song and have had access to a very convenient flying location while at a friend's cabin. I'm trying to understand why sometimes the 2S battery doesn't drain more uniformly and if there is anything I can do to prevent this. I understand that discharging this low isn't good for the battery at all. It didn't have any warning sign before a sudden drop in thrust, after which I immediately landed. I had some flights lasting 20 minutes, no problem, and some 15 minute flights ending at 3.75v and 3.74v. Photo below is from a 10 minute flight under slightly more windy conditions, so I can understand increased power consumption, but I almost lost the plane in the water. Any tips/advice so I can avoid this before ruining more expensive batteries?

When you over-discharge it, the first cell always seems to take the brunt of it, which is what happened here. You can get small voltage alarms that will plug into the balance lead, which is the cheapest and easiest option, as long as you fly within earshot.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You change the motor direction.
Wait what, how does the prop nut stay on then? I tried this once and the little spinner tip flew off along with the prop. Now I have have a nylock nut on there but haven't tried to run it reversed, do those just hang on better? Admittedly I do not have a lot of experience.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yes, nylock nuts are fine for either direction, assuming you don’t unscrew / screw it on too much.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CapnBry posted:

I need to get a drat smaller receiver than this FlySky business but isn't it wrong to spend $12 on a micro receiver when I don't really want to stick with flysky long-term?
Why not? They make a good micro receiver (and a p small one with telemetry) and that new UndergroundFPV controller runs OpenTX :getin:

CapnBry posted:

Swap 2 motor leads, and yes use a nylock nut.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 3, 2018

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Wrap the threads of the prop shaft with Teflon tape (like for plumbing) before putting the nut on, that will make a makeshift locknut.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Teflon, known for high coefficient of friction.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Teflon, known for high coefficient of friction.

not sure if you're joking or not but it is super thin material that shreds easily and thus jams up the thread so as to make it water-tight (or in this case, difficult to loosen)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImplicitAssembler posted:

When you over-discharge it, the first cell always seems to take the brunt of it, which is what happened here. You can get small voltage alarms that will plug into the balance lead, which is the cheapest and easiest option, as long as you fly within earshot.

Good to know. So if I have voltage telemetry, would it be better to have it wired to the first cell instead of the main leads?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

CapnBry posted:

That thing is a mighty beast! How long does assembling one of those take?

Build complete. Needs some glue sanded off, sealing tape, and then a paint job.

It's a pretty long build. Someone used to this flat poo poo would probably do it in 6-8 hours. I've probably spent 12-15 hours smearing hot glue all over everything within five feet of the table. The build video is great but I'm really tired of hearing Josh Bixler's voice. This is my first foam board plane build but I've built various r/c stuff for years including other planes. Wouldn't recommend for a first timer.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 5, 2018

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

i own every Bionicle posted:

Wrap the threads of the prop shaft with Teflon tape (like for plumbing) before putting the nut on, that will make a makeshift locknut.

I thought that stuff was PTFE, not teflon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Teflon® is a registered trademark of the DuPont corporation used for its polytetrafluoroethylene product line.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
So like Kapton (polyimide) or Delrin (acetal) and whatever else, got it

Consider me clued in about Teflon :downs:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Also notable,
Plexiglass (Perspex if you're british) = acrylic
Lexan = polycarbonate

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
This past weekend I was out flying my polaris dlg I picked up used a little while back. I saw a spot where there were a couple of birds circling without flapping their wings much. I beelined for that spot, starting slowly circling in it with the thermal mode activated hoping for the best. Holy poo poo that thing took off like a rocket! :aaa: the vario built in to my rx was maxed out and I was so stoked to have finally actually caught a thermal that I realized I was letting myself get way too high, so I dove out of it. I'm still obviously really lovely at this dlg thing and sailplanes in general but I have never been as ecstatic in all my years of screwing around with RC poo poo than I was when I finally made the dlg do the thing and ride the thermal. I'm the only one who is going to give a poo poo about this but since I don't know anyone else personally into this kind of thing I had to post it somewhere.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Isn’t that the best? So satisfying to speck out a glider that you chucked into the air yourself. I have done it a few times with a DLG and the added challenge of making it to the lift without a motor and the pressure of making sure you can get it back makes it so much more rewarding than just cruising around with a Radian until you catch a few bubbles.

DLG’s are the best, really need to finish my Go.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bullets cure cops posted:

This past weekend I was out flying my polaris dlg I picked up used a little while back. I saw a spot where there were a couple of birds circling without flapping their wings much. I beelined for that spot, starting slowly circling in it with the thermal mode activated hoping for the best. Holy poo poo that thing took off like a rocket! :aaa: the vario built in to my rx was maxed out and I was so stoked to have finally actually caught a thermal that I realized I was letting myself get way too high, so I dove out of it. I'm still obviously really lovely at this dlg thing and sailplanes in general but I have never been as ecstatic in all my years of screwing around with RC poo poo than I was when I finally made the dlg do the thing and ride the thermal. I'm the only one who is going to give a poo poo about this but since I don't know anyone else personally into this kind of thing I had to post it somewhere.

When I was learning to fly sailplanes a long time ago, I did this by accident and drat near lost the thing in a few minutes. It's kind of unforgettable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The build video is great but I'm really tired of hearing Josh Bixler's voice.

I don't know why this sentence made me laugh so hard, but it did.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The build video is great but I'm really tired of hearing Josh Bixler's voice.

#blessed

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It's nothing against him- I watched the same 2 hour video like 10 times in small build segments and hearing the same phrasing and soft tones over and over and over is tiring.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I can't watch eevblog videos for the same reason

they're always really good content, but something about that guy's voice just....eeeegghhhh

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dave sounds kinda like Kermit.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Crap, i was just given a X525 minus RX/TX amd with a broken motor plate.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

I can't watch eevblog videos for the same reason

they're always really good content, but something about that guy's voice just....eeeegghhhh

He's easier to handle when paired with Chris Gammel. Though when they start talking flying things I curl up into a ball of cringe. Same for when Embedded.fm talks flying things.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
GUYS!!

GUYS!

Guys..

It's page 262

Edit: Yay, thanks Nerobro

Mr Havafap fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 19, 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Right click, copy image location.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Well, the Eachine VR D2 Pros were a nice, cheap option for FPV goggles while they lasted. I just ordered a set to replace my current ones with assorted problems (loose battery connector, nonworking "-" button because I clipped an SMD resistor reassembling it, and most recently, I broke the lens) and the live tuner feed has taken a huge nosedive in quality:

I'm hoping this is just a case of Eachine being Eachine and using whatever random hardware they have available at the time, and that other units manufactured around the same time don't have the same problem. As lovely as that is, it's still preferable to knowing that all units from this point forward are absolute trash. Oddly enough, the DVR input is roughly the same between the two goggles. It's just the live feed that is distinctly awful.

I could get the EV800D instead since that is the closest option out there in terms of price and features, but my brother has that one, and I hated it when I tried it. The padding is too thin with no cheek support, the extra weight of the front-mounted battery makes it even worse, and the screen is heavily blue tinted. Plus, the display is really glitchy and has weird timing issues where the bottom of the screen will display entire rows of pixels out of order roughly every other time it's powered on, and the only way to work around it is to navigate deep into the menu and cycle diversity on and off (and that only works some of the time).

I used to have some HeadPlay SE V2 goggles that I really liked (IPS display, excellent reception for non-diversity, marginally more comfortable, easy to open) for about a month, but they were way too big to fit into my FPV bag, so I had to let them go.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

At some point everyone realizes there’s a good reason most people pay the money for fatshark/commanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Finally got around to trying this camera pod on a plane. In this case, my old Bixler 2. Just need to touch up the lower part so it conforms to the shape of the foam more. I was in a bit of a rush to get it printing so I could fly before dark. Barely did, could still just make out the ground enough. Set up a three flash light in a line runway just in case though. Makes landing on dark grass almost as easy as daylight.

Simple board mount camera, with a minimOSD board, and a Mach2 VTx.

Of course what I forgot, was this VTx has adjustable power output. So while my quick test of across the field (50M) was fine, it became barely flyable up in the air. Turns out, it was sitting at 25mw, not 200mw. Still gave me enough out to 200M to line up a landing though.