Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Although it's good to be cautious, keep in mind that cockatiels are dusty birds, and may have simply had some dander in his nostril. My experience with parakeets and Ivan told me that sometimes they just got stuff stuck in their noses, they'd sneeze 1-5 times and/or pick their nose, and that'd generally be the end of that. If the sneezing continues through the day, has lots of discharge, is in a specific area or over time (like sneezing first thing in the morning) I'd be concerned, but a couple smatterings of bird snot doesn't exactly mean that something is wrong.

If it is an air circulation thing, what I did was use one of those magnetic air vent deflectors in the room that Ivan had, so they weren't blowing on him when we ran the A/C.

Oof, bad snipe. Uhhh, have a digital Ivan I made for my mom?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Didn't notice any discharge or anything and he stopped after engulfing himself in the foodbowl. Have an air purifier that picks up dander and stuff near his cage, but it shouldn't be blowing into the cage. I'll pay attention and see if it continues.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chaosfeather posted:

Oof, bad snipe. Uhhh, have a digital Ivan I made for my mom?

is that a parrot or a raptor

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

is that a parrot or a raptor

Yes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So cockatiels are cats apparently.

https://twitter.com/BoringEnormous/status/1041791530103726085

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1dwgc-oIs

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
GCCs are so god dang cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvpx9SWltqU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
https://i.imgur.com/4UNAnZv.mp4

It's better with sound.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QgbpbMh

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spu32SLIdlU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Had an IVIG infusion today and another tomorrow. It feels like getting injected with the flu.

What makes it all better?

Coming home, laying in bed, and letting Serra the cockatiel groom my beard and run around like a doofus. :3:

I love birbs, and I quite like you all too. Stay strong, err'body!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Captain Log, for your infusions do they do it via a regular IV line, or do you have something like a PICC or Hickman Line inserted?

Trying to stop a conure from chewing on a PICC is good times let me tell you.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Should I be worried if Shimi is spending a lot of time on the bottom of her cage when I'm near it? I know its a sign of sickness if they are trying to be low, but she'll climb down when I'm near the cage. If I leave and come back, she'll be up on a perch but climb back down. I think she might have just decided she likes being low? The other day when I did a full cage clean, I took the grill out after cleaning and replacing the tray, and she climbed down to play in the fresh newspaper. Today when I uncovered their cage, she grabbed the newspaper through the grill and now several hours later its all shredded. But she's just sitting on the bottom all fluffed up like a sick bird when I'm near her cage and not actively paying her attention, which screams sick bird behaviour to me.

I don't really know what her normal behaviour is anymore because she's figuring out that I'm not a big scary thing and the only way she knows how to behave around humans is aggressively. She hasn't figured out how to act like a normal friendly bird yet, so its hard to tell if shes sick or if shes just being a weirdo.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 19, 2018

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Big preen

A bit more sneezing today and a huge yawning marathon (apparently this is normal?), but he seems very active and chill.

Big tunnelwork project going on nearby with daily detonations. He got a big scare after a detonation made the whole building shake earlier... Took me 20 mins of sweettalking to get him to calm down again :/ this will go on for like a year, hopefully he'll get used to it or something

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 19, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

underage at the vape shop posted:

Should I be worried if Shimi is spending a lot of time on the bottom of her cage when I'm near it? I know its a sign of sickness if they are trying to be low, but she'll climb down when I'm near the cage. If I leave and come back, she'll be up on a perch but climb back down. I think she might have just decided she likes being low? The other day when I did a full cage clean, I took the grill out after cleaning and replacing the tray, and she climbed down to play in the fresh newspaper. Today when I uncovered their cage, she grabbed the newspaper through the grill and now several hours later its all shredded. But she's just sitting on the bottom all fluffed up like a sick bird when I'm near her cage and not actively paying her attention, which screams sick bird behaviour to me.

I don't really know what her normal behaviour is anymore because she's figuring out that I'm not a big scary thing and the only way she knows how to behave around humans is aggressively. She hasn't figured out how to act like a normal friendly bird yet, so its hard to tell if shes sick or if shes just being a weirdo.

If she was sick enough to be showing symptoms of illness, she would be fluffed up and listless almost constantly.

Can we get some pictures? If she is indeed sick then the faster you get her to a vet, the better.

Also Truck Stop Daddy, that is one big preen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The budgie girls, Bean and Miss Lady have reached the intensely romance stage of their usual soap-operaish cycle of fighting/not on Speaking Terms/madly in love and have started experimenting with trying to mate.

They are both quite elderly and Miss Lady has a wonky wing so this is proving a little difficult, but fortunately Bean is large and Miss Lady, (who is doing the climbing) is quite small so she's not finding it extremely difficult to stay on board.

I hope it works out for them :3:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pookah posted:

The budgie girls, Bean and Miss Lady have reached the intensely romance stage of their usual soap-operaish cycle of fighting/not on Speaking Terms/madly in love and have started experimenting with trying to mate.

They are both quite elderly and Miss Lady has a wonky wing so this is proving a little difficult, but fortunately Bean is large and Miss Lady, (who is doing the climbing) is quite small so she's not finding it extremely difficult to stay on board.

I hope it works out for them :3:

This is adorable. :kimchi:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Some of this guy's schtick is irritating, but it's a pretty good look at what it's like with a baby Grey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6qyeGE7ZE&t=1340s

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

Captain Log, for your infusions do they do it via a regular IV line, or do you have something like a PICC or Hickman Line inserted?

Trying to stop a conure from chewing on a PICC is good times let me tell you.

It’s just IV, but I’ve had a PICC line before.

If I ever have one again, I’m sure my cockatiel will inadvertently kill me. I’m fine with it. :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My stepdad spent a few days at home recently with a Hickman Line when he was back from chemo at the hospital and I felt so bad for him. poo poo looks like a massive pain in the rear end and he couldn't really take a proper shower because he had to basically cover the entire side of his torso with it in saran wrap so it couldn't get wet. Worst I've ever had to put up with was the phlebotomist during a hospital stay being totally unable to get a vein to the point they said gently caress it and went for my foot instead.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

My stepdad spent a few days at home recently with a Hickman Line when he was back from chemo at the hospital and I felt so bad for him. poo poo looks like a massive pain in the rear end and he couldn't really take a proper shower because he had to basically cover the entire side of his torso with it in saran wrap so it couldn't get wet. Worst I've ever had to put up with was the phlebotomist during a hospital stay being totally unable to get a vein to the point they said gently caress it and went for my foot instead.

Just be glad they didn't bust out the ultrasound machine and an 18 gauge needle.

Just...be glad. :)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Or fluroscopy and whatever they use to re-install a PEG tube. :v:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lady budgie lovin' update: After they were done trying to mate, Bean sat there looking like a smug potato and Miss Lady got all tall and chesty and made heartwings at her. :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Just be glad they didn't bust out the ultrasound machine and an 18 gauge needle.

Just...be glad. :)

:gibs:

Pookah posted:

Lady budgie lovin' update: After they were done trying to mate, Bean sat there looking like a smug potato and Miss Lady got all tall and chesty and made heartwings at her. :3:

Adorable lesbians

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Pic of Tito back in 2014, helping make some winter stout chili.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Your sous chef is very handsome :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

He's missin' the little chef hat.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Hi bird crazies!

Kepler has discovered an incredible love for hoodie pockets and bathrobes. He gets really good traction with the bathrobe, so he's taken to zooming around like it's a goddamn racetrack. His favorite game lately is to yell, "Love you!" and immediately munch fingats.

Trouble is, lately he's displaying all the signs that I would associate with a hormonal bird. I believe he's only about 6 or 7 months old but he definitely gave my knuckles an intense experimental hump yesterday. He's been nippy enough to bruise and somewhat cage aggressive lately, but I feel like he could just be cranky about his first molt.

Is it possible for a gcc to start puberty so early? I'm really hoping I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I can't help but be concerned.

I'm definitely going to make him a vet appointment today to make sure he's doing well. I'm also thinking I'll reach out to the people that raised him and try to get an accurate hatch date.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
This is what a Grey bite looks like, one week after the fact.

Not a big deal, but look at the circumference of the bruise!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Captain Log posted:

This is what a Grey bite looks like, one week after the fact.

Not a big deal, but look at the circumference of the bruise!

Omg you’ll end up looking like a bloody meatball, if you don’t manage befriend those birds

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Omg you’ll end up looking like a bloody meatball, if you don’t manage befriend those birds

Most of the birds love me.

Apparently, Kito is "The Favourite Store Bird" of my lady friend. She actually thinks he got jealous of my having her attention.

These birbs are smart.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
The local shop has two baby Greys.

They don't know how to be terrifying yet!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera decided last night that my lady friend is okay. He sat briefly on her knee. She was delighted and also a little bit unnerved when he flew across the room to look at us from a high point in the room. But mostly delighted.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

Most of the birds love me.

Apparently, Kito is "The Favourite Store Bird" of my lady friend. She actually thinks he got jealous of my having her attention.

These birbs are smart.

Yeah, he was probably putting the moves on her (pinning, showing off his beautiful tail, saying 'urrrr') until you came in, all smiles and friendliness, and flock-blocked him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

Yeah, he was probably putting the moves on her (pinning, showing off his beautiful tail, saying 'urrrr') until you came in, all smiles and friendliness, and flock-blocked him.

:golfclap:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pookah posted:

LOL!!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Pookah posted:

Is there a mic drop emote? There needs to be a mic drop. I just laughed hard enough to startle my parrots. :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You're all too kind about my shameful punning :)

but you really should help that grey out - maybe bring him to a few bars and help him meet some nice ladies; be his wingman basically.

:haw:

I apologise for nothing

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Anyone knows if there is any significance to a quaker parrot starting to go "squee SQUAW SQUAW" really loudly anytime they see some kind of... alcove of fabric? It's hard to describe. Exemples: being in my bathrobe, he likes to go on my knee under the table and start squawking like crazy. He has a cord that goes over his perch, and it makes a bit of an inverted V from where it's hanged up where he goes in between and also does that behavior. I don't think it's him being angry since he usually has a bit of a different sounding whistle when he's annoyed. I tried finding videos of Quaker behaviors but couldn't find anything worthwhile.

/edit/I'll see if I can take a video at some point. This is very hard to describe.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Also what’s the general opinion on having a mirror in the cage? My Quaker hasn’t bonded one bit with my budgies and I’m wondering if it would help him feeling less lonely when I’m out the house.