Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

wasn't there a recent post in this very subforum where somebody was lamenting that they never learned in english class that the narrator is sometimes a person with whom you're not always supposed to agree and sympathize?

there was, and multiple people were shocked at the idea you could figure out the concept without being told about it.

OscarDiggs posted:

As an aside, where DID you learn these things? I never went to university so if we're supposed to learn these little rules there I'm way out of luck. I'm pretty sure it was never covered at secondary school either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just loving kill me.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Tree Goat posted:

wasn't there a recent post in this very subforum where somebody was lamenting that they never learned in english class that the narrator is sometimes a person with whom you're not always supposed to agree and sympathize?

Hi there! One of them was me. Thanks again A human heart for helping me learn that, by the by.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean to be fair there are definitely novelists who try to make disagreeable things sympathetic in a misguided sort of everyman masculinity. Roth, Ford, and Updike come to mind. Like, it feels insincere to look at Rabbit and go "oh, who says you are supposed to agree with the protagonist"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean to be fair there are definitely novelists who try to make disagreeable things sympathetic in a misguided sort of everyman masculinity. Roth, Ford, and Updike come to mind. Like, it feels insincere to look at Rabbit and go "oh, who says you are supposed to agree with the protagonist"

i think there's some combination of narratorial reliability, sympathy, and perspective-taking/theory of mind that is getting conflated here

also i am sorry to keep linking new yorker articles but this one came to mind:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/scourge-relatability

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tree Goat posted:

i think there's some combination of narratorial reliability, sympathy, and perspective-taking/theory of mind that is getting conflated here

also i am sorry to keep linking new yorker articles but this one came to mind:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/scourge-relatability

Yeah, I definitely would argue against saying the protagonist has to be "relatable" or "likeable", but I still feel like, as a reader, I can sense a tangible difference between a character who is meant to be judged, a character who is meant to be observed, and a character who is meant to be sympathized with.

Like, even though Humbert Humbert is the narrator of his own story, no one would think of him sympathetically even though the sum totality of the story is from his own deeply biased perspective. I also think of Disgrace by Coatzee, where, again, the character is portrayed through internal narration and he is also a selfish piece of poo poo, but we are equally given room to judge him.

For some reason other characters like Rabbit or Frank Bascombe feel far more sympathetically portrayed even though the narration is still internal. I wish I could put my finger on it exactly.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

There's an entire caste of pseudo-intellectuals, most of them are incredibly successful op-ed writers, who claim to know what Authenticity is, and it just happens to invariably be something horribly poo poo. Our cultural climate actively rewards that kind of thing

Like you couldn't publish Ulysses today, in no small part because no publisher is willing to grant the 'average person' the richness of inner life that Joyce grants his characters.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
recommendations for books - poetry, fiction, doesn’t matter - with very (for lack of a better term) “violent” prose? not in the literal Cormac McCarthy sense; rather in the sense of language that is extremely vivid and shocking and breaks free of convention

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finnegans Wake

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Darker with the Lights on by David Hayden

actually idk if that qualifies but it's unconventional and is written with a certain clarity that I thoroughly enjoyed. not sure if it's shocking though

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 19, 2018

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Finnegans Wake

this is the real answer

but there's always Celine and Jelinek

also Tarantula by Nobel prize winner Robert Zimmerman

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
read jelinek or bernhard

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

recommendations for books - poetry, fiction, doesn’t matter - with very (for lack of a better term) “violent” prose? not in the literal Cormac McCarthy sense; rather in the sense of language that is extremely vivid and shocking and breaks free of convention

Frederick Seidel's poetry.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Criminal Minded posted:

Les fleurs du mal.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I just remembered Ron Silliman's Tjanting, which I ran into at Half Price once and didn't buy because I'm a goddamn moron. Absolutely what Criminal Minded is looking for.

The movement that Silliman was part of probably warrants a blanket recommendation as well.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 19, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Criminal Minded posted:

Clarice Lispector's The Passion According to G.H. may be for you

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Oh yeah, Lispector is a good choice

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I just remembered Ron Silliman's Tjanting, which I ran into at Half Price once and didn't buy because I'm a goddamn moron. Absolutely what Criminal Minded is looking for.

The movement that Silliman was part of probably warrants a blanket recommendation as well.

ha I actually have The Age of Huts at the top of my to-read pile right now :)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

On another occasion, Abby goes to Will to talk about her school thesis paper, and she wants to make it on the unreliable narrator, and how life is the ultimate unreliable narrator because of how tricky and surprising it can be.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahahaha

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wikipedia page for Life Itself (2018) posted:

It received negative reviews from critics, who called it "simultaneously overwrought and underwhelming".

Sounds about right.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

as soon as I saw the reviews I have been waiting for someone to post a synopsis and it turned out to be as insipid and maudlin as I dared hope

but yeah the second I saw that I had to share it with someone

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

genious

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sounds about right.

Lmao

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

im at the end of that awful mess on the w/e the italian book by gadda and it's really good they are interviewing prostitutes and i get why people say it's dense but like, the denseness is all world building or w/e that if it was some warhammer 40k book nerds would drool all over but it's about italy just as fascism starts taking root ok well bye

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
im in the middle of my comps list and i havent had time to read for pleasure in weeks and its Depressing Me

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I'm in London and buying books again send help

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

“This War and Peace thing? it’s pretty good, but Tolstoy spends way too many words on world building and he has these self-inserts that doesn’t add to the plot”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I know that wasn’t your angle at all, I just felt like posting it and now I feel bad

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The magic system in Finnegans Wake is so OP it resets the world

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've never been able to get into tolstoy even though i love russian lit, i don't know what it is. when i was in my late teens/early 20s i read a bunch of dostoevsky, bulgakov, solzhenitzyn and checkov and i got a few short stories into tolstoy but there was one about a woman who's dad dies and then she marries her dad's friend who comes around a lot and that put the project on a grinding halt. maybe it's time to try again with one of his real books.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's Chekhov. "Kh" is the Russian H: Che Hof, not Check Off

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
4exob

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ras Het posted:

prosit :mmmhmm:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Ras Het posted:

Those are equally wrong, it's a [x]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, there really isn't a "Russian H". "Х" ("Kh") and "Г" ("G") are both used as substitutes in loanwords and transliterations, but that phoneme isn't part of the language.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 23, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What a jakhoff

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Rudъ.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, there really isn't a "Russian H". "Х" ("Kh") and "Г" ("G") are both used as substitutes in loanwords and transliterations, but that phoneme isn't part of the language.

I know all of this, I just want to stop hearing about Nikita Krooshchev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
anton check off wrote some very nice stories. i'm a big fan of lady with a lap dog, ward no. 6, and peasant wives.