Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a general rule for how a typed page of text in A4 correlates, on average, to a page of a B-format (129 mm x 198 mm) paperback or a mass market paperback with the same text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there a general rule for how a typed page of text in A4 correlates, on average, to a page of a B-format (129 mm x 198 mm) paperback or a mass market paperback with the same text?

Mass market paperbacks tend to run somewhere between 250-500 words per page (yes, I know, that's a wide range).

If you are doublespacing A4, usually 250 words per page with a 12 point font. Singlespacing, around 500.

So a typed page of A4 is roughly correlated with a page of a mass market paperback, but there's a massive room for variance.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can anybody recommend a good translation of the Iliad and the odyssey that keeps the Greek names of the gods? I started on the Pope version and it was really well written but the Roman names just threw me right out

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

RandomFerret posted:

Can anybody recommend a good translation of the Iliad and the odyssey that keeps the Greek names of the gods? I started on the Pope version and it was really well written but the Roman names just threw me right out

all of the modern ones should use the greek names. afaik this forum is pretty evenly split on preferring the translation by Lattimore vs the one by Fagles, but neither one will do you wrong. here's a good New Yorker article on the differences between some of the major translations if you want to get into the weeds about it

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 16, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just started Wild Cards and its my first fiction book i've read since sophomore year of highschool. Are enough people aware of this book in this subforum to make a thread for it? I just wanna hear the goons' hottest takes on this apparently super-long series.

also the sex bits are really weird and I wish they'd stop.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I just started Wild Cards and its my first fiction book i've read since sophomore year of highschool. Are enough people aware of this book in this subforum to make a thread for it? I just wanna hear the goons' hottest takes on this apparently super-long series.

also the sex bits are really weird and I wish they'd stop.

There has already been a long and weird thread for that series. I'd be surprised if it's gone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

There has already been a long and weird thread for that series. I'd be surprised if it's gone.

thanks! i used Search the Forums and couldn't find anything.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

thanks! i used Search the Forums and couldn't find anything.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501532

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
"James Frey's 'Katerina' May Be the Worst Novel of the Year"

here's a quote from another review

quote:

In one of my favourite passages he tells a woman: “Your pussy is the sweetest most delicious most magnificent most delirious most peaceful calming inviting exciting incredible absolutely awesome and amazing pussy that has ever been on this earth in the entire history of existence.” To which she bafflingly responds: “You are definitely going to be a famous writer someday.”

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 19, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are there any goon-lead Goodreads groups? I'm surprised how....rough...the community is on this website.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Book Barn Goons. It’s pretty much dead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Book Barn Goons. It’s pretty much dead.

=(

Unfortunately due to fears of doxxing it's hard to get a SA + Goodreads thing rolling.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

=(

Unfortunately due to fears of doxxing it's hard to get a SA + Goodreads thing rolling.

If it helps, it's very easy to change your name, pic and info so as to keep it doxx-free.

Though I posted in it with my real name for over a year without issue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

If it helps, it's very easy to change your name, pic and info so as to keep it doxx-free.

Though I posted in it with my real name for over a year without issue.

Yeah, the issue is more that most people seem to use real names on Goodreads so there's a natural barrier to connecting up with an anonymous and controversial platform like SA. We don't see much of the doxxing problem in book barn because, lol, who reads books, but it's still a concern.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Made me snicker on the book barn goon page.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Non-fic scares me more than fiction. The Best and The Brightest - the book about the Kennedy and Johnson people that bungled Vietnam, Private Empire - about Exxon Mobil, pretty much everything I’ve ever read about colonialism...

e: wrong thread
ee: returned post here because there are replies

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 25, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I actually came to this subforum looking for fiction because I've read too much nonfiction lately. After a while, the plausible modern day horror and politics burnt me out hard. Like I'd rather have the implausible fear of some goat-bat swamp-monster killing random folks in a sleepy village instead of seeing war history repeat itself with jingo-nationalists at the helm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

buglord posted:

I actually came to this subforum looking for fiction because I've read too much nonfiction lately. After a while, the plausible modern day horror and politics burnt me out hard. Like I'd rather have the implausible fear of some goat-bat swamp-monster killing random folks in a sleepy village instead of seeing war history repeat itself with jingo-nationalists at the helm.

Well, you should read Blackwater then. Except maybe the monster is families?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I mean everyone should read Blackwater because it loving owns

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

For a second I thought you meant the Jeremy Scahill book and I was like “how in God’s name would that help”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
speaking of I need October suggestions

and no we can't do Blackwater again

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The Elementals obvs

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Elementals obvs

This is an excellent suggestion. It's more spooky than Blackwater and quite a bit shorter but still excellent. I'd be very down for re-reading this because I went through it too fast last time and would like to digest it a little more.

I wish there was an ebook version of A Night in the Lonesome October, I think that would be a decent BotM.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

I wish there was an ebook version of A Night in the Lonesome October, I think that would be a decent BotM.

Oh, we did that back in like 2014: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669218&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I can't exactly spam a thread in the archive with posts about how great Snuff is.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

the elementals

ray bradbury's something wicked this way comes

e: night in the lonesome october

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 26, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Found a picture of this subforum :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Right now I'm leaning towards I'll be Gone in the Dark

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

do it

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Found a picture of this subforum :v:

im reading poetry downloaded off of a russian botnet using a rooted kindle bought using bitcoin but the sentiment is the same

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jagstag posted:

im reading poetry downloaded off of a russian botnet using a rooted kindle bought using bitcoin but the sentiment is the same

ugh dad nobody cares

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Do it, I would love to read it and discuss with TBB

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Who are the Shakespeares of other languages? That is, a writer who had a profound effect on the very language itself and whose works are still read, discussed, and performed (in the case of playwrites) today?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Who are the Shakespeares of other languages? That is, a writer who had a profound effect on the very language itself and whose works are still read, discussed, and performed (in the case of playwrites) today?

Dante
Cervantes

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Rabindranath Tagore?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

For Denmark it's Ludvig Holberg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludvig_Holberg

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I have a multi-part question/thoughts about characters in general.
What elements make a strong protagonist?
And when we typically refer to "strong" are we simply referring to the character's ability to be believable (which I would take to mean that they are well realized as human)? Or does the character's ability to entertain/engage the audience also have a role in this qualification? That would be kind of meta wouldn't it? Since it doesn't have to do with the actual creation but rather the perception of the creation.

Furthermore, is there any value in adding an additional qualifier such as "What makes a strong female protagonist?" Are there appreciable differences in gender that the previous qualities would impose on a character? Does that depend on whether or not it's relevant to the character's story or development?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Razzled posted:

And when we typically refer to "strong" are we simply referring to the character's ability to be believable (which I would take to mean that they are well realized as human)?

yes

quote:

Or does the character's ability to entertain/engage the audience also have a role in this qualification?

no

quote:

Furthermore, is there any value in adding an additional qualifier such as "What makes a strong female protagonist?" Are there appreciable differences in gender that the previous qualities would impose on a character?

yes

quote:

Does that depend on whether or not it's relevant to the character's story or development?

no

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Razzled posted:

I have a multi-part question/thoughts about characters in general.
What elements make a strong protagonist?
And when we typically refer to "strong" are we simply referring to the character's ability to be believable (which I would take to mean that they are well realized as human)? Or does the character's ability to entertain/engage the audience also have a role in this qualification? That would be kind of meta wouldn't it? Since it doesn't have to do with the actual creation but rather the perception of the creation.

Furthermore, is there any value in adding an additional qualifier such as "What makes a strong female protagonist?" Are there appreciable differences in gender that the previous qualities would impose on a character? Does that depend on whether or not it's relevant to the character's story or development?

a 'strong protagonist' is a made up concept from the people who brought you sci fi books and tvtropes.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

a 'strong protagonist' is a made up concept from the people who brought you sci fi books and tvtropes.com

no that's the people who co-opted "strong female protagonist" to mean "woman who acts like man"