Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I believe there's a code to enable it and it might even work with certain headsets IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Milkman posted:

rest in nintendo power

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The details came from a Iwata Asks:

Iwata: To go back a little further, the Nintendo GameCube system actually had 3D-compatible circuitry built in.

Itoi: Huh?

Iwata: It had the potential for such functions.

Itoi: Nintendo GameCube did? And all the Nintendo GameCubes systems around the world?

Iwata: Yeah. If you fit it with a certain accessory, it could display 3D images.

Itoi: What a secret!

Iwata: Nintendo GameCube was released in 2001, exactly ten years ago. We’d been thinking about 3D for a long time even back then.

Itoi: Why didn’t anyone ever know?

Iwata: The liquid crystal for it was still expensive. Simply put, Nintendo GameCube could display 3D images if you attached a special LCD, but that special liquid crystal was really expensive back then.

Itoi: Yeah, we’re talking about ten years ago.

Iwata: We couldn’t have done it without selling it for a price far above that of the Nintendo GameCube system, itself! We already had a game for it, though—Luigi’s Mansion, simultaneously released with Nintendo GameCube.

Itoi: The one in which Luigi shoulders a vacuum cleaner?

Iwata: Yeah, that one. We had a functional version of that in 3D.

Itoi: That was 3D?

Miyamoto: It would jump out at you pretty nicely.

Iwata: Even without special glasses, the 3D looked pretty good. But we considered how much the liquid crystal would cost, and it was just too expensive. We figured the market just wasn’t there for it.

Itoi: So you gave up. Whew! And now you’ve done it. I see! You never give up!

Iwata: Yeah. We never give up. (laughs)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Holy poo poo that's amazing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Iwata ftw

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Smash kid died today 😔

They made it just in time. RIP

rip. thats brutal, im glad they got to play it before they passed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
F

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yeah the reason im kind of excited about luigis mansion 3ds is because its sorta like theyre finally putting out the original vision for that game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

why was it made for 3d, how were they gonna use that on a gamecube launch title

They had multiple plans for stereoscopic 3D back then, the president Yamauchi kept wanting to make it happen even after the Virtual Boy. There was a GBA-era handheld design that used it, a planned GC attachment, even a plan to integrate it directly into the side of the GC case. From memory, that's where the handle came from, they wanted to encourage people to take the console places so they could show their friends the 3D effect and make them all run out and buy their own.

Sega said Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 was meant to be a 3D game, that's why they turned it into a turn-based thing out of nowhere, it was them rushing to figure out 3D and the easiest course of action was to make a 3D model diorama and graft a game to it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Smash kid died today 😔

They made it just in time. RIP

This happened with BOTW too. Nintendo claims another life

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

This happened with BOTW too. Nintendo claims another life
The last thing they heard was Miyamoto whispering to them "Climb the tree."

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

did anyone try the dark souls network test for switch?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I did not.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
im like 15hrs into okami. its sooooo slow and boring

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my understanding of okami was always "if you played twilight princess and skyward sword and want more of that for some reason, there's also this"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What the gently caress.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Okami isn't really a Zelda, reminds me more of Dragon Quest than anything. It's like my favorite game but if you're not into the story by 15h it's okay to stop lol.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

saltyslug posted:

It sucks. I tried to warn you.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Okami has been on my backlog since it came out but they keep remaking it and my enthusiasm restarts from day 1

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Okami has been on my backlog since it came out but they keep remaking it and my enthusiasm restarts from day 1

Same tbh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Okami is good but it is insanely slow and doesn't give you any options to speed things up. Either you play the game on its terms or not at all. I loved it but it's not a game I ever find myself replaying.

I definitely get the Dragon Quest comparisons. I don't have a ton of DQ experience but Okami has that same episodic go-around-helping-people sort of structure that DQ8 and DQ11 have.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

saltyslug posted:

thats about as far as i got

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I loved okami when I first played it but getting through the first bit is a slog. It’s a pretty slow game overall but i think that was somewhat intentional.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I've always been interested in okami but I don't know anymore

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

you guys aren't selling it very well. did it age like poo poo?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've never made it past the excruciatingly long-winded tutorial.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

its mind numbingly easy and the combat sux. but its a hideki kamiya game so its funny

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I'm not like good at describing why a game is good but I'm gonna try: it's a game that sells being this wolf character while also selling that you're a god, and you keep shifting perspectives in both combat and puzzles in a way that's very distinctive and isn't really matched in any other game I've played. All of the games systems and the story reflect on one another and build in a way that's funny and entertaining and has a lot of heart.

Yea it's easy and game is a little too worried that you won't get it, but it's so low key that I can just kinda let all that wash over me and get to the stuff that I really love. There's some extra depth in combat that the game doesn't really explain, where if you defeat enemies in certain ways you get special items that unlock powerful stuff, and that was enough to keep me occupied even when the combat wasn't enough on it's own.

I've replayed it a few times and each time I notice something cool that it does. I'm probably biased cause I played it at just the right time for it to really get under my skin but it's not like I'm just remembering that it's good I still like playing. Anyway thank you for reading.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

an actual dog posted:

I played it at just the right time for it to really get under my skin

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

okami is really hard to get through for me, its super pretty of course (and the hdmake is gorgeous) but its a super slow easy game that feels like an endless tutorial

i think i also gave it a fair 8-10 hours or so before i got tired of waiting for it to get better and quit.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

How is the calligraphy gimmick in that game? I seem to remember that being a big sticking point for people

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

How is the calligraphy gimmick in that game? I seem to remember that being a big sticking point for people

It's definitely its best on the Switch in portable mode

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's a really cool concept and makes things very interesting but it's sometimes a hit or a miss if it's actually going to work, especially with shapes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i played it on the wii which turned that stuff into easy quick wand motions and i still got sick of it lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it doesn't really work in any configuration lol

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Over There posted:

It's a really cool concept and makes things very interesting but it's sometimes a hit or a miss if it's actually going to work, especially with shapes.

Counterpoint: shapes are hilarious

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pumprag posted:

Counterpoint: shapes are hilarious

gently caress yeah, shapes!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gonna have to side with my boy Pumprag on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Okami is the easiest game ever made but it's packed to the brim with things to collect and people to save using your god powers. It's 60 hours long but split neatly into three different story arcs, and I think the middle section is definitely the strongest part of the game. The music is godlike, the art style was unmatched at the time, the game is brimming with personality and cool characters and as easy as the combat can be, it can be very fun to mix brush powers into your combos as you learn them. I've only played the game on PS2 but I feel like the stick controls for using the brush were really good, using the wii remote or a touch screen sounds slower and more annoying.

It came out around the same time as Twilight Princess so there were a lot of comparisons at the time. Personally I found Okami to be way more compelling.