Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not genetic modification its just smashing their heads with metal poles for 1300 years so that they're born with skulls that are resistant to metal poles instead of having to do it as part of training

or was it not metal poles i forget how saw piang did his training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jose posted:

its not genetic modification its just smashing their heads with metal poles for 1300 years so that they're born with skulls that are resistant to metal poles instead of having to do it as part of training

or was it not metal poles i forget how saw piang did his training

Pretty sure it was just a big ole hammer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, it's really lucky that Wakatsuki is on the same side of the board as Julius. I don't even know if Setsuna could twist him, with how buff he is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://mangadex.org/chapter/454986/1

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh huh, so the Advance works the same way as Gear Second but Ohma doesn't have the luxury of being a rubber man :rip:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm excited to find out who taught him the advance and the fact he's basically being mind controlled by 2 different people lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Oh huh, so the Advance works the same way as Gear Second but Ohma doesn't have the luxury of being a rubber man :rip:

aren't fans still theorizing luffys going to also die from it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wow, every time he uses that power he's probably shaving years off his life, that's a really interesting concept that hasn't been explored nearly enough in fighting manga.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Woops

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

Wow, every time he uses that power he's probably shaving years off his life, that's a really interesting concept that hasn't been explored nearly enough in fighting manga.

I can't tell if this is being facetious

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

aren't fans still theorizing luffys going to also die from it

Please, Luffy has been fatally poisoned maybe 3 times in the entire series and bounced back. He's got so many things that have shaved off his life that I'm suprised he hasn't keeled over already

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

I take everyone at their word in the belief that everyone is speaking from the heart.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
That Setsuna reveal: leads me to believe there’s something wrong with the backstory we’ve been told thus far. When would Setsuna have been defeated by Ohma? There’s also the fact that shadow figure seems against Niko. So this may be a proxy war situation

Jose posted:

irony is dead in tyool 2018. I take everyone at face value at this point

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this fight sucks they're both just strong dudes with magic powers, at least julius is interesting

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Hate-Senpai posted:

I take everyone at their word in the belief that everyone is speaking from the heart.

That is going to shave years off their life!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wish they would focus a bit more on the siege at Kazuo's house. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing Kenzy the Siege Master show us all how he earned his nickname.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

That Setsuna reveal: leads me to believe there’s something wrong with the backstory we’ve been told thus far. When would Setsuna have been defeated by Ohma? There’s also the fact that shadow figure seems against Niko. So this may be a proxy war situation

irony is dead in tyool 2018. I take everyone at face value at this point

That's the same day that Niko was killed by setsunas master i think. We'll probably learn Niko was distracted by ohma using the advance

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
What if the shadow figure is/was Setsuna’s master? Tried to pull a Palpatine but hosed it up and Ohma went wild

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I really could've sworn they already told us that using the Advance was loving killing him.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

RareAcumen posted:

I really could've sworn they already told us that using the Advance was loving killing him.

Strongly hinted, never outright stated in the fight with Inaba

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
he yarfed blood all over the place after the inaba fight so it was pretty clear tbh

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It’s implied when he uses it in his early pre-tournament fights too, he’s in a room with a ton of candles and blows a lot of them out

Highly recommend a re-read of pre-tournament btw, it goes fast and the design changes are interesting. Also interesting was no explanation why Nogi chooses Kazzy for this job. I’m thinking some reveal that Nogi knows about his son also.

There were also design notes that stated Kazzy has glasses just to make his facial expression more varied, and I think that has been extremely successful.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The duality we're seeing with the dark figure/Niko reminds me of Bleach/Ichigo. Before the dumbass recombining of the two, it was super cool seeing them battle over Ichigo and come out at different times.

Did anyone ever read Veritas? It's a really good manhwa. The main protag reminds me of Ohma. They both have similar stories (fairly generic to be fair): his master disappears, he knows some of the technique but not enough and he practices a highly controlled martial arts that relies on skillful execution of moves. The similarities between EOTL and Niko style are really interesting.

Of course Ohma will combine the two techniques because they are clearly opposing each other. Niko style being super controlled executed moves, while the Advance technique is just a release of power. As Plutonis said, it's so similar to Gear Second. I bet Ohma will end up engaging Advance in small bursts to give him a short temporary speed/power boost then use Niko style, done over and over again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/455517/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kure Hollis is so relatable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"The Devil" is sort of a boring epithet. Taboo Descendant is so much cooler!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I guess there wont be any cool kenzo scenes since they just captured him offscreen

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Believing that a shut in is going to do something cool seems like an quick way to be disappointed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The real question is whether or not there was a fourth guy that was supposed to fight Ohma?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Take three guys who were supposed to fight Ohma and label them 1, 2, and 4...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kazzys genius getting recognised again

https://mangadex.org/chapter/456015/1

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Kazzys genius getting recognised again

https://mangadex.org/chapter/456015/1

Also, an omake chapter about the doting Kure grandpa - https://mangadex.org/chapter/456016/1

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

raian got flanked hard thinking that ohma was the real threat

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JosephWongKS posted:

Also, an omake chapter about the doting Kure grandpa - https://mangadex.org/chapter/456016/1

I love the Kures :allears:

Glad to see that Raian was actually just pulling a Jun and actually did get hurt, at least by Ohma's super mode. Fighters that are totally invincible are just boring. Also really happy that these ghost arguments are finally being settled, he should've just believed in his master from the start!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Looks like the real fight has begun. Also :3: at Niko’s pep talk

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Niko seems like a pretty nice guy.

Also threatening to murder the referee should be an instant DQ, the honor of the Kengan Association is at stake!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 28, 2018

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like how Julius and Niko have the same idea about techniques.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hypocrisy posted:

I like how Julius and Niko have the same idea about techniques.

From completely different angles, too. "Techniques are required for the weak to defeat the strong" leads to both "Therefore I'll come up with the best techniques to defeat anyone" and "Therefore I'll become so unbelievably strong that I simply don't need techniques".

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Kanos posted:

From completely different angles, too. "Techniques are required for the weak to defeat the strong" leads to both "Therefore I'll come up with the best techniques to defeat anyone" and "Therefore I'll become so unbelievably strong that I simply don't need techniques".

Reaching way back for a deep cut:

http://gunshowcomic.com/192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://mangadex.org/chapter/456378