Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I had the iOS 12 public beta installed on my iPad and after iOS 12 was released I deleted the beta profile. My iPad has no profiles now but it is prompting me up to date to public beta 12.1 and I don’t want to. Not sure what went wrong because I did the exact same thing on my iPhone and it doesn’t tell me there’s a 12.1 beta available.

Is there a way to fix? Settings tells me I am using iOS 12 16A366 which is the same build as the one that came on my new XS so it’s not that I’m on some obscure beta version still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m between trading in my Air for a 2018 iPad or a 10.5” Pro (gonna wait until after the expected update if it happens this fall) with Pencil. I’m gonna take notes, annotate PDFs, and draw some simple things with it. I played with the 2018 and current Pro in store today and I think I’m ok with the non-laminated smaller display on the regular iPad but I’m not sure if I wouldn’t appreciate a Pro in the longer term.

Anybody have any opinions? I’m sure a bigger screen with no gap would be better in a lot of ways and people seem to love the refresh rate and the better speakers are cool but it’s almost 2x as expensive.

Do you need any of the other features (faster CPU, more RAM, etc)? If not and you simply want to take notes, etc, go with the cheaper option.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I had the iOS 12 public beta installed on my iPad and after iOS 12 was released I deleted the beta profile. My iPad has no profiles now but it is prompting me up to date to public beta 12.1 and I don’t want to. Not sure what went wrong because I did the exact same thing on my iPhone and it doesn’t tell me there’s a 12.1 beta available.

Is there a way to fix? Settings tells me I am using iOS 12 16A366 which is the same build as the one that came on my new XS so it’s not that I’m on some obscure beta version still.

Have you rebooted?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow the saga continues. I cannot even reset/erase my daughter’s iPad because it requires her password and connecting to the Apple ID servers, which it still cannot do. Holy Heck.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Feenix posted:

Wow the saga continues. I cannot even reset/erase my daughter’s iPad because it requires her password and connecting to the Apple ID servers, which it still cannot do. Holy Heck.

Does apple charge for calling in for account problems? Either they can help you through the sign in process or somebody needs to know there’s something weird going on with iOS 9 devices and the App Store. Barring any general outage the App Store is supposed to work even if the OS isn’t getting updates.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’ll take it down to DA FRUIT STAND soon. Just bummed I can’t even take the nuclear option here on my own.

This isn’t a password error, right?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Exact scenario, but with my iPhone, it downloaded the payload before you deleted the profile. Rebooting will fix this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m between trading in my Air for a 2018 iPad or a 10.5” Pro (gonna wait until after the expected update if it happens this fall) with Pencil. I’m gonna take notes, annotate PDFs, and draw some simple things with it. I played with the 2018 and current Pro in store today and I think I’m ok with the non-laminated smaller display on the regular iPad but I’m not sure if I wouldn’t appreciate a Pro in the longer term.

Anybody have any opinions? I’m sure a bigger screen with no gap would be better in a lot of ways and people seem to love the refresh rate and the better speakers are cool but it’s almost 2x as expensive.

Microcenter has $200 off the iPad pros so only $449 for the 64gb. If you can find one with them in stock I would go that route.
I went with the pro over the regular for longevity's sake. It has twice the ram, a better graphics processor and better screen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Buy the iPad 2018 32GB, spring for LTE, trust me, dollar for dollar it makes such a difference for everyday use as long as you can afford the $20 a month and don’t need to store a lot of local media.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FCKGW posted:

Microcenter has $200 off the iPad pros so only $449 for the 64gb. If you can find one with them in stock I would go that route.
I went with the pro over the regular for longevity's sake. It has twice the ram, a better graphics processor and better screen.

poo poo that’s tempting, but I want whatever comes out this fall. Gimmie a giant iPhone X damnit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Buy the iPad 2018 32GB, spring for LTE, trust me, dollar for dollar it makes such a difference for everyday use as long as you can afford the $20 a month and don’t need to store a lot of local media.

No don't, that's what your phone is for

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah I mean if you get hotspot data and have a device that supports hotspot on demand, save the money.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Feenix posted:

I’ll take it down to DA FRUIT STAND soon. Just bummed I can’t even take the nuclear option here on my own.

This isn’t a password error, right?

That looks like some kind of odd connection error. Is there any kind of filtering or proxy on the WiFi that it’s connected to?

You could go nuclear and restore it from a computer, but if it still has the connection error afterwards, it may not reactivate.

And just to be safe - can you log onto the iCloud web site with that Apple ID and password? It doesn’t look like a password error, but if it has Find my iPad turned on, and the login is no good, you’d be extra screwed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that looks like it’s just having trouble connecting to the server for whatever reason. Other than stuff on the wifi, check for proxies or a host file on the iPad itself just in case. Unlikely but who knows.

Does the connection work fine otherwise like just regular browsing in Safari? Could also try logging into whatever Apple ID/iCloud site in Safari on there.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

sourdough posted:

No don't, that's what your phone is for

No, do, don't burn your hotspot data (which generally isn't unlimited) and phone battery?

I find it useful to have the iPad on it's own set of data, plus the LTE module also adds actual GPS to the iPad which important for some uses like piloting. And with AT&T you get video streaming on DirecTV Now that doesn't count against "unlimited" data quotas, but that doesn't apply to tethered video watching. Doesn't make sense for all, but it can make sense for some.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Is it still possible to do a DFU via iTunes when Find My Idevice is enabled, or is that locked away as well?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Granite Octopus posted:

Is it still possible to do a DFU via iTunes when Find My Idevice is enabled, or is that locked away as well?

It is still possible. (Though I’m not sure for the 2018 phones)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My iPad leaves my home so rarely that there's no point in spending the money on an LTE model and certainly not on an extra data plan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

My iPad leaves my home so rarely that there's no point in spending the money on an LTE model and certainly not on an extra data plan.

Plus with 10GB of high-speed hotspot that I have available on my phone, if I ever do need access I can just use that. And honestly, that's only if I need to remote into work while out and about and that's super-rare anymore. For general internet bullshit, I just use my phone these days.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Evis posted:

It is still possible. (Though I’m not sure for the 2018 phones)

No it isn't. iTunes will tell you to turn off Find My iPhone on the device and you won't be able to without authenticating.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TVs Ian posted:

That looks like some kind of odd connection error. Is there any kind of filtering or proxy on the WiFi that it’s connected to?

You could go nuclear and restore it from a computer, but if it still has the connection error afterwards, it may not reactivate.

And just to be safe - can you log onto the iCloud web site with that Apple ID and password? It doesn’t look like a password error, but if it has Find my iPad turned on, and the login is no good, you’d be extra screwed.

I can log on via icloud.com. I do have Circle by Disney stuff for my kids but it’s not affecting my son’s iPad nor is it even affecting the WiFi on my daughter’s. Just the connection to the Apple servers.

I haven’t really used any restrictions with that Circle stuff yet anyway...

So just connect it to my Mac and what? Open iTunes and wipe it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Feenix posted:

So just connect it to my Mac and what? Open iTunes and wipe it?

Open iTunes, turn off the iPad, then hold the home button while plugging in the USB cable, and keep holding it for a sec until it pops up in restore mode. iTunes will prompt you to restore, then download and install the latest image for it.

If the iPad gets out of restore mode before the download finishes, turn it off and do the home button/usb thing again.

It should be able to connect to Apple via iTunes to reactivate itself as well.

For what it’s worth, I wiped about 40 iPads today, and the bulk of them took 2-3 retries to activate, so Apple’s servers may be getting hammered by new phone activations & updates.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

~Coxy posted:

No it isn't. iTunes will tell you to turn off Find My iPhone on the device and you won't be able to without authenticating.

Interesting. I’ll have to try it later. Apologies for posting what appears to be incorrect information.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I dunno if that was aimed at me but I had an LTE iPad before the Air. Haven’t needed the LTE, I would tether from my phone when needed.

I might consider going with LTE for the next one but I’ll definitely need more than 32gb. The Air is 32gb and I have to delete poo poo and can’t fit all of my bleep bloop synth apps on it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have a pro with 32gb. I made a horrible decision and curse myself every time I have to play the app shuffle. The offloading feature doesn’t help.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Endless Mike posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

Plus with 10GB of high-speed hotspot that I have available on my phone, if I ever do need access I can just use that. And honestly, that's only if I need to remote into work while out and about and that's super-rare anymore. For general internet bullshit, I just use my phone these days.

Exactly how I feel. I can think of significantly better ways to spend $250/yr. If your use case would support it then go nuts but I've always found cellular on an iPad to be really superfluous.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can count on my hand the amount of times I wanted to use my iPad in a place that didn't have Wi-fi, and of those times hotspot has always been enough for whatever purpose.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fordan posted:

No, do, don't burn your hotspot data (which generally isn't unlimited) and phone battery?

I find it useful to have the iPad on it's own set of data, plus the LTE module also adds actual GPS to the iPad which important for some uses like piloting. And with AT&T you get video streaming on DirecTV Now that doesn't count against "unlimited" data quotas, but that doesn't apply to tethered video watching. Doesn't make sense for all, but it can make sense for some.

Depending on your carrier you might already have hotspot data included in your plan. I do with T-Mobile and don’t have a plan on my cellular iPad anymore. My next iPad won’t be cellular.

Unless for some reason you need the internal GPS on the iPad I’d forgo the cellular.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

Have you rebooted?

porktree posted:

Exact scenario, but with my iPhone, it downloaded the payload before you deleted the profile. Rebooting will fix this.

Oh yeah rebooting fixed it kinda. Now it doesn’t tell me to install the beta but in Settings it still has a red badge next to software updates. I guess I can live with that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Barry posted:

Exactly how I feel. I can think of significantly better ways to spend $250/yr. If your use case would support it then go nuts but I've always found cellular on an iPad to be really superfluous.

You American's (I'm assuming)

Get hosed so badly on this sort of thing.

I share my iPhone's Data with my iPad for $5 a month.

iPhone and iPad share 90Gb of data.

Similarly, my Apple Watch cellular connection costs $5 a month, which in US money is like - $3.85 Are there any carriers you guys have that don't gently caress you around so much to use the data you already pay for?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
T-mobile is pretty affordable with limited loving these days.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Yeah, I like them more than the alternatives. I pay a total of $85 for the ONE Plus plan (I got the "Plus" as a free add-on promo) and all taxes and "fees" are baked in to that price. Unlike ATT or Verizon where you have the plan price + fees + taxes.

That includes unlimited everything, HD video streaming, high speed hotspot (10 GB) and my LTE watch sharing.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The advertising of pre tax prices is such a loving sham in general. How does that help the consumer in any possible way? It saddens me that Japan has started doing the same thing now too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Granite Octopus posted:

The advertising of pre tax prices is such a loving sham in general. How does that help the consumer in any possible way? It saddens me that Japan has started doing the same thing now too.

“Help the consumer”

What language is that because I don’t understand.

They say they do this in the US because different things have different tax rates and a lot of our cities are aggregates of several individual cities with different tax codes so that snickers bar could in theory cost $1.09 at one gas station and $1.12 at a different gas station across the street and printing the price after tax is too difficult or whatever.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 28, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

“Help the consumer”

What language is that because I don’t understand.

They say they do this in the US because different things have different tax rates and a lot of our cities are aggregates of several individual cities with different tax codes so that snickers bar could in theory cost $1.09 at one gas station and $1.12 at a different gas station across the street and printing the price after tax is too difficult or whatever.

Not just too difficult, but also bear in mind it would probably deter people from buying in high tax areas. Tax in Philadelphia is 2% higher than anything outside the city.

Also, for phones in the US, tax can vary because Mom lives in Texas, daughter lives in Arizona, etc.

That being said, as the other poster said, it’s not just tax on the plans, they all (minus T-Mobile now) have admin fees they can arbitrarily change at any time (which, when changed, somehow seem to always just go up).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

T-Mobile is pretty great, even for foreign travel since their international rates are very affordable. But holy hell they never have service in the places we vacation.

My kids hate T-Mobile so much and will spite cancel them as soon as they’re adults.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

T-Mobile is so much cheaper and, for me at least, the same level of reliability as Verizon (and better service than AT&T).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kids hate T-Mobile so much and will spite cancel them as soon as they’re adults.
This is their future when they decide between the other big three:

https://youtu.be/w7NeRiNefO0

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Holy crap the new gesture for app overview is dogshit. A little bit up and then slowly to the right wtf is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mike12345 posted:

Holy crap the new gesture for app overview is dogshit. A little bit up and then slowly to the right wtf is this

Absolutely. It's made for a small screen, but using it on an 12.9 is completely horrible.