Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Welp I looked into weathering without an airbrush and bought some weathering powders... Then before they got here I bought an airbrush.

So much for that idea.

After one throw-away car to learn what I was doing, this is my first serious attempt. I have to say it came out better than I expected.

Use both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ijyt posted:

Use both!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 60

We continue second planking the belt armour in the middle of the ship

We also test fit the barrels in the last main gun. Below all 3 turrets are pictured, as you an see, each a little bit different than the other.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

ijyt posted:

Use both!

Oh, I did, I just originally intended to try the weathering powders in combination with washes instead of an airbrush. The airbrush is substantially easier to use than I thought it would be, the hardest part is just keeping it clean but I've already gotten a lot better at that.

It took me about 3 hours to do this car because I was paranoid about overdoing it and so I took it very slowly. I imagine I could do it a lot faster with a bit more practice which is good because I have 38 more cars to do, plus like 7 locomotives.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Have some more progress pics on the Chieftains, going to wash and highlight the details next then probably matt and weather I think.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Applied the decals without a gloss coat.

I like to live dangerously.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Little more done on the bike. Steps 14, 15, and 16 finished.

Little bit more to do on the front end, then it's on to the bodywork.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I finished weathering a second car and took them down to the model railroad club layout to see how they look under the lighting. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The lettering fade looks great.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The lettering fade looks great.

That was one of the most obvious effects in the reference photos I used. The rust streaks don't match the photos but I like how they look.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I finished weathering a second car and took them down to the model railroad club layout to see how they look under the lighting. I'm pretty happy with the results.

One thing I've always found neat in model RR is how at normal height the trees in backgrounds don't look anything special, but when you get down track level, holy hell do they make the back scene

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Pretty much finished with everything except the bodywork. Steps 16 and 17 finished up minus the front fender. Front calipers, brake lines, and steering damper.

Weather's been super humid and rainy so it's not very conducive to spray paint. Should be able to get some laid down next weekend. Shifting gears back to the truck to get that thing off the bench and into the case.

Edit: Done. Whatever

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 30, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Not the same, I know, but thank you for that truck- it reminded me of Mooecow's milk truck restoration(s) that I had forgotten about from years ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104932&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, it needs some Ferndale decals :)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

...The rust streaks don't match the photos but I like how they look.

I say stuff like this a lot. "That's rear end backwards but it looks cool do gently caress it."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm trying to locate a cheap source of flat plastic panels to build some structures for a terrain piece. Home depot has plastic wall panels, but I'm looking for something more like the plywood panels I can buy, but plastic.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
How big and how cheap are you looking for? Plastruct and Evergreen make lots of sheets of plastic, or you could try to scavenge stuff (e.g. I think a lot of political campaign signs are plastic and you could probably reuse them and just paint over the text).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

How big and how cheap are you looking for? Plastruct and Evergreen make lots of sheets of plastic, or you could try to scavenge stuff (e.g. I think a lot of political campaign signs are plastic and you could probably reuse them and just paint over the text).

Thanks, Plastruct seems to have a lot of stuff I could use and I'll check out Evergreen later.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Evergreen is loving expensive thougg, at least here in EU.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Molentik posted:

Evergreen is loving expensive thougg, at least here in EU.
If you just want large sheets of polystyrene, and aren't picky about thickness, try the hardware store. They sell signs like "no trespassing" made out of the stuff for a couple bucks. They might even have thick corrugated ones.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
If you live in the US grab some political lawn signs over the next couple months, they're almost uniformly made of coroplast :ssh:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

SO I work with a dude that saw some of my builds and asked me if I'd build a kit he had laying around. I said sure, so this morning he drops off Tamiya's 1/100 Space Shuttle kit and a case of his family's small batch hot sauce as payment. Anyone ever built this thing?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ben Nerevarine posted:

If you live in the US grab some political lawn signs over the next couple months, they're almost uniformly made of coroplast :ssh:

Alternatively, ask candidates for signs. If you're lucky you can even score one or more of the larger 4x3 foot ones, or bigger!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EdsTeioh posted:

SO I work with a dude that saw some of my builds and asked me if I'd build a kit he had laying around. I said sure, so this morning he drops off Tamiya's 1/100 Space Shuttle kit and a case of his family's small batch hot sauce as payment. Anyone ever built this thing?

Just burn all the pieces and scatter them across a map of Texas and give it back to him.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Locator posted:

Just burn all the pieces and scatter them across a map of Texas and give it back to him.

I knew this was coming. I was ready.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Probably will be picky about thickness, and Plastruct prices don't seem that bad. Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a vendor of 1:144 to 1:160 scenery pieces? I'm looking primarily for railings, armored doors, and industrial fittings.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Scalelink has a lot: https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_152_160__N____Echelle_1_160__N_-p1.html

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Probably will be picky about thickness, and Plastruct prices don't seem that bad. Thanks.

You might want to check McMaster-Carr, too. They aren't as cheap as free political signs, but are probably going to be a lot cheaper than any model supply store.

https://www.mcmaster.com/polystyrene-sheets

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do Plastruct or Evergreen sell "grab bags" of mismatched or damaged product at all? Would be a perfect sell for people looking for material for "junked" scenes.

One of the model brass companies sell grab bags of their brass sheet/rod/tubing/etc, and it's a ridiculously good value. It's something like $10 for a bag of random pieces, that if you had to buy them new and separately would be worth something like $500.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do Plastruct or Evergreen sell "grab bags" of mismatched or damaged product at all? Would be a perfect sell for people looking for material for "junked" scenes.

I don't know if it's "damaged" or how much of a discount you get, but I have a bag of miscellany from Evergreen that I bought years ago and which has lots of little bits of whatever.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
And here's the Alfa done minus decals.

I've got the white basecoat down on the bike bodywork, but I'm waiting on the local hobby joint to restock so I can get a can of pearl clear. I'll get that on, give it a couple days, mask it off and then hit it with the blue. Couple days after that, I'll start on decals there.

Now what else is in the closet...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One of the model brass companies sell grab bags of their brass sheet/rod/tubing/etc, and it's a ridiculously good value. It's something like $10 for a bag of random pieces, that if you had to buy them new and separately would be worth something like $500.

Do you recall which one that is? It sounds like a very useful thing to have on hand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fearless posted:

Do you recall which one that is? It sounds like a very useful thing to have on hand.

If you scroll down a bit on the following link, it's the package with the blue label that says "Sizes & Shapes".

http://www.ksmetals.com/accessories.html

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you scroll down a bit on the following link, it's the package with the blue label that says "Sizes & Shapes".

http://www.ksmetals.com/accessories.html

That's perfect, thank you. When I was still playing Warhammer regularly, I picked up a bag of assorted bits for conversions and kitbashes. One of the most useful purchases I ever made in that hobby, and I bet the same could be said here.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Started to work on the weathering to the lower hulls of the Cheiftains tonight. Quite happy with how they are coming out so far. Let me know what you think.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, Revell has finally re-released its 1/72 He 177. Talking with my comic store guy, he said he can order it, but he has no idea when it will show up, as things are still chaotic.

e:

https://twitter.com/TKvirtualworld/status/1032810236615176197

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 7, 2018

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've been quietly puttering away on the Bluenose over the past month. Starting about two months ago, I made a conscious decision to deviate a little bit from the historical record on this model-- normally, I'd be doing a shitload of research to make sure that everything was exactly as it was supposed to be to represent this schooner at a specific point in her career. I've opted to go in a different direction, but one that is really rewarding and that I am enjoying immensely. I was born and grew up in Nova Scotia and part of my family has been in the province since the middle of the eighteenth century-- apparently, they were Jacobites chased out of Scotland during the first rounds of the Highland Clearances. So a sense of place and heritage was a pretty big part of my formative experience, mainly through stories and history imparted by my parents and grandparents. Bluenose, famous as she is, was something that I became aware of at a very young age and I remember daydreaming in elementary school about what it would be like to be on her deck as she heeled under a full press of sail. So what I've been doing with this model is bringing to reality what I imagined she'd look like as a boy.

I made four sets of five chainplates and deadeyes. These are the vertical straps with three-eyed wooden blocks on the top featured in the above images and their purpose is to provide anchoring points for the shrouds. These are lines that run up the masts of the vessel and provide a lot of structural support. These were made from strips of brass, mild steel wire and wooden components. On a lot of models, these are installed over the railing of the ship, but in reality they actually cut through these rails. I preferred the more authentic look and so that is what I opted to do. It was nerve wracking but worth it. In the second picture, also visible are some wooden blocks added in the rail gap. These are in place to allow dories being raised alongside the hull to skid over them, rather than getting caught on the rail edge and dumping their contents into the sea or onto the deck. Also visible in this photo is the large, white boom crutch that supports the forward jumbo boom (a long wooden spar that runs horizontally near the base of the foremast and which stiffens the bottom edge of the main staysail). It also houses some of the gearing that would connect the windlass further forward with a hoisting engine. I will not be installing most of this machinery as it was typically removed when racing, as were the anchors, dories and a number of other things.

This is the bowsprit, a spar that projects from the front of the ship and provides additional support for the forestays (lines that keep the masts from falling backwards). On Bluenose this is rather oddly tapered-- it is actually flat on the bottom and so does not taper to the center. The ironwork up at the tip was made from brass strips that were blackened with acid rather than painted.

Another shot of the bow, with the various bits of furniture and woodwork that support the bowsprit installed. Tomorrow I intend to mark out all of the locations for eyebolts, shackles, staples and belaying pins and install these features.

So right now I am running out of things to do before I start building the masts, making the sails and doing the rigging. Lots to do yet, but it's coming along well.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Hello thread. My dad told me about something this weekend which sounded interesting and having watched it, I thought you guys may find it interesting too. A television series in the UK (Channel 5) started this week called, "The Great Model Railway Challenge". In short, its Bake Off but with model railways. Three teams each week are given three days to build a model railway following a set theme. There are some rules to follow such as no more than six pre-built items are allowed (Which has already had a very creative interpretation in the first episode) and on day 2 teams have to nominate a member to tackle a scratch build challenge. For UK goons the first episode is available on My5. Worth a watch. It also has a grown man crying

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Hello thread. My dad told me about something this weekend which sounded interesting and having watched it, I thought you guys may find it interesting too. A television series in the UK (Channel 5) started this week called, "The Great Model Railway Challenge". In short, its Bake Off but with model railways. Three teams each week are given three days to build a model railway following a set theme. There are some rules to follow such as no more than six pre-built items are allowed (Which has already had a very creative interpretation in the first episode) and on day 2 teams have to nominate a member to tackle a scratch build challenge. For UK goons the first episode is available on My5. Worth a watch. It also has a grown man crying

I really hope Rod Stewart makes a guest appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Finished the weathering to the lower hulls tonight and added some cammo netting. I am pleased with it. It's still wet but when it dries it will be detailed, washed and drybrushed. Then nearly done!