Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
my gym the teacher riffs on everyone during the warm ups, bowing is optional, and we just knuckle bump our partners before we roll

I thought like half the appeal of BJJ is that is didn't have the whole culty martial arts bullshit of other styles

Freudian slippers posted:

The actual, literal entire point of jiu jitsu is to beat power with techinque. If you're getting overpowered, work on your technique. Don't go head to head. If you're gassing, especially as a white belt, it's usually because you're using strength rather than technique, tensing up and failing to relax.

Yeah, but at the same time if you have the same technique as a guy and are also stronger, you are gonna win. If BJJ was pure technique, there would be no weight classes in tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Gracie Humaita: White or blue gi only, bow on and off the mat, bow to Helio after class, rash guard according to rank or lower.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Judo - blue and white only if you can help it (we won't kick someone out for having another colour, but we'll badger them and remind them that they won't be allowed at tournament). Bow in circle at beginning/end of class to each other and to Kano, bow on/off the mat, but pretty informal in the class itself. Consider that promotions through higher kyu and into the dan ranks in judo requires kata knowledge, which requires bowing technique, and that you can be DQed for having exceptionally lovely bowing at a tournament (I've only heard of it happening once).

Jits - show up whenever we want, wear whatever we want. Helio is on the wall. I sometimes roll in a dry-fit t-shirt that has a celestial kitten eating a taco and pizza.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bow on/off mat
Start of class we get in lines by rank and bow
End of class same and we snake around bowing & shaking hands
Black belts are always refer to as Professor and any other belt is coach if they are teaching
Pretty sure any gi color is allowed but they do need the school's 2 patches on
(my reap knee for Satan patch is allowed)
No gi only the school rashguard is allowed
Gi any rashguard is allowed
Bow/clasp hands before rolling
No being on the mats in street clothes or shoes

I think it's fairly formal but not outrageous.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 5, 2018

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'd never last at a gym with a bunch of stuffy rules. Y'all can pry my Mega Man gi from my cold dead hands.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crumps Brother posted:

I'd never last at a gym with a bunch of stuffy rules. Y'all can pry my Mega Man gi from my cold dead hands.

aw yeah

Gonna finally order mine in a few days now that I comfortably fit into an A4

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

spacetoaster posted:

When I started BJJ I had been lifting heavy for a few years and that strength covers a multitude of sins.

HOWEVER, big muscles restrict your movement in a big way. Even if you constantly work on flexibility and once dudes know that you're the really strong guy they'll change it up on you to minimize that advantage.

Yah I started BJJ a few months ago after lifting for a long time and totaling about 1200 at 185lbs and strength really really helps with not getting swept or reversed. The other guy has to have perfect technique or also be really strong. Lifting also has made my shoulders so stiff and inflexible that just putting a figure four hold on my arm will get me to tap without having to crank it at all

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I like how the foundational story of BJJ is Helio getting his rear end kicked and arm broken by a bigger, stronger guy

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

- Our head instructor has us line up for warmups in rank order, other instructor doesn't
- Everyone, including black belts, are on a first-name basis, rarely is a BB referred to as professor
- End of class our head instructor has us line up to shake hands, other instructor doesn't
- Wear whatever you want, both gi and nogi. If you want to wear a school gi that's cool (mismatched colors tops / pants for our school gis are standard), and we have guys wear competitor school gis as they transition into our school and no one cares
- No bowing - to each other, the mat, to pictures etc. (we don't even have a picture of Helio)
- Wear sandals when off the mat
- No contracts, everyone is month-to-month
- The thing guys get yelled at for most is using disposable water bottles - our head instructor has a hard rule that you need to use a reusable water bottle

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought like half the appeal of BJJ is that is didn't have the whole culty martial arts bullshit of other styles

Lol no, cult of the master is very much a thing especially WRT Reneer and Ryrons branch. The big appeal to jits is that it will work regardless of your opponent wanting it to or not.

Edit: some of it may also have to do with the mcdojo set getting disillusioned with their current style or coopting bjj to get more customers and them transplanting their bs customs on it. Team branded Gi/rashguard is literally just a money grab regardless of some bullshit the owner will sell you about espirt de corps.

[ASK] Me about being trained to be a manager at a mediocre jits school inside of basically a mcdojo.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 5, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

t-shirt that has a celestial kitten eating a taco and pizza.

You gonna post a pic of this shirt or....

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

butros posted:

- The thing guys get yelled at for most is using disposable water bottles - our head instructor has a hard rule that you need to use a reusable water bottle

This is a good rule.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

yeah our instructor doesn't care at all if you wear branded stuff. Like, he recommends it, but I wear a RMNU gi like once every two weeks

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yah I started BJJ a few months ago after lifting for a long time and totaling about 1200 at 185lbs and strength really really helps with not getting swept or reversed. The other guy has to have perfect technique or also be really strong. Lifting also has made my shoulders so stiff and inflexible that just putting a figure four hold on my arm will get me to tap without having to crank it at all

I have a very hard time getting anyone in a leg triangle.

omg chael crash posted:

Pictures of Atos are hilarious because it's like a 100 person class all wearing literally the exact same rash guard, shorts, and spats. It's like he's training an army.

I'm at a Gracie Humaita school now so I'm only allowed to wear blue or white gis which cut my collection of punch clothes in half, roughly. We bow on and off the mats(probably) but we call our coaches by name. Shrug

I'm at an atos gym and you wear whatever you want (just understand that competitions may have restrictions).

No bowing, just fist bump before rolls. Also first names are fine.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

spacetoaster posted:

I have a very hard time getting anyone in a leg triangle.

I'm at an atos gym and you wear whatever you want (just understand that competitions may have restrictions).

Sorry -- I meant at the main school in SD

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry -- I meant at the main school in SD

I don't have the money to buy all that stuff. My wife, and I, share two gi's. lol

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Old school:
- White gis only
- Big team patch "required" (but never enforced)
- Line up in rank order at the start and end of class and during technique demonstrations
- Snaking handshake down the line at the end of class

New school:
- The instructor will make fun of you if you show up late

Most of the schools in the area seem to be somewhere in that range. Notably, despite the lax or nonexistent uniform requirements, a large percentage of people at both of the above schools choose to buy the school uniform because it's a nice gi (Fuji Suparaito) at a fair price and the custom design is sharp.

My favorite formal gym thing is the guys that say "OSS" all the time. I used to do a more formal TMA that used it as a sort of punctuation mark between technique demonstration and drilling the way a lot of BJJ gyms do the "1-2-3-clap" thing, so it doesn't sound weird to me on its own... but I was at an open mat a while back that had a number of people from out of town, and one guy kept saying it for literally anything that happened.

"I'm Nestharken, nice to meet you"
"I'm Bob, ossss"

[run into the wall, stop, scoot over, slap bump] "Osssss"

[land a sweep on him] "Ossss"

I had heard people joke about that kind of guy before but didn't think they actually existed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nestharken posted:

Old school:
- White gis only
- Big team patch "required" (but never enforced)
- Line up in rank order at the start and end of class and during technique demonstrations
- Snaking handshake down the line at the end of class

New school:
- The instructor will make fun of you if you show up late

Most of the schools in the area seem to be somewhere in that range. Notably, despite the lax or nonexistent uniform requirements, a large percentage of people at both of the above schools choose to buy the school uniform because it's a nice gi (Fuji Suparaito) at a fair price and the custom design is sharp.

My favorite formal gym thing is the guys that say "OSS" all the time. I used to do a more formal TMA that used it as a sort of punctuation mark between technique demonstration and drilling the way a lot of BJJ gyms do the "1-2-3-clap" thing, so it doesn't sound weird to me on its own... but I was at an open mat a while back that had a number of people from out of town, and one guy kept saying it for literally anything that happened.

"I'm Nestharken, nice to meet you"
"I'm Bob, ossss"

[run into the wall, stop, scoot over, slap bump] "Osssss"

[land a sweep on him] "Ossss"

I had heard people joke about that kind of guy before but didn't think they actually existed.

That's me except instead of "oss" I say "aiyaa" like Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Our kids BJJ does some of that stuff. They line up by rank for each class and do the snaking around high fives when it's over.

What do you guys do to clean your mats? We've got a sprayer we put clorox/water in and then a few guys mop the mats with big swiffer mop things.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

What do you guys do to clean your mats? We've got a sprayer we put clorox/water in and then a few guys mop the mats with big swiffer mop things.

We do the same. Pressure sprayer is so nice to have. We also have a Dyson vacuum to use first.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

How formal are your gyms?

Formal/Informal. Gi colors white, blue or black only. Bow on and off the mat. But I call my instructor by his first name. Make sure to introduce yourself to each person on the mat and bow to the highest ranked on the mat (usually just the black belts) before anyone else.

That last one I understand is a bigger deal in Brazil. If you dont go around and introduce yourself and say hi, its considered rude (so I've heard, from my instructor who is from Brazil). Kind of makes sense.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Old gym was a Gracie Barra so, all the rules and etiquette listed so far. Bowing, lining up, picture of Carlos, professor etc etc. Load of shite.

Current gym, literally no rules. Like, can't think of one. Just pay your money and don't be a dick. Love it there (Grip house, Glasgow, UK).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My school is tiny and run by a purple.

Gi:
No colour or affiliation restrictions for the gi
When the instructor remembers we'll line up before or after class, sometimes by rank, and bow

No-gi
Do whatever, wear whatever

Slap and bump prior to rolling
Bow on and off the mats, but this is convention and not a rule
Instructor by his first name, though he sometimes get called "coach"

I've never been to a place that had a photo of Helio, that's pretty weird imo. Overall I like a bit of formality, but I strongly dislike having to buy special gis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

You gonna post a pic of this shirt or....

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm down with tradition and respect but I always found bowing to the picture of a founder a little too much. Even if it's a guy like Kano who I fully respect.

I grew up doing traditional martial arts so when I started BJJ it also corresponded to young adult indepence and iconoclasm.

As a result I only purchased black gis and bowed to no one for a couple years. Then I got a little older and realized that was dumb too, so now I wear white gis and bow if that's what we're doing today.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

I'm down with tradition and respect but I always found bowing to the picture of a founder a little too much. Even if it's a guy like Kano who I fully respect.

I grew up doing traditional martial arts so when I started BJJ it also corresponded to young adult indepence and iconoclasm.

As a result I only purchased black gis and bowed to no one for a couple years. Then I got a little older and realized that was dumb too, so now I wear white gis and bow if that's what we're doing today.

I p.much agree with this. I like having a picture of Kano around, but I'm not big on bowing to it - though on Wednesday a kid asked who the guy is and why we bow to him, so that gave us an opportunity to teach a bit of history, which is cool.

The only bow which I really like is into the mat area, as it creates a big of a symbolic boundary around the practice space. That practice can keep people a bit focused in that area and keep people from wearing shoes &c - the practice space is a special space with special rules, which is true even if we remove lame spiritual poo poo, and that bow reinforces it.

Bow to start competition is fine too, I guess.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just ordered the CTRL x Genki Sudo Neo Samurai gi. I normally always buy the cheapest academy gi but I couldn't pass this up.
https://www.ctrlindustries.com/products/the-neo-samurai

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is awesome looking. I now also want one.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I like the formalities, it makes this thing we do, killing each other or getting killed, feel more honorable

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I train at Ultimate Fitness so everyone is shirtless even during gi classes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yuns posted:

Just ordered the CTRL x Genki Sudo Neo Samurai gi. I normally always buy the cheapest academy gi but I couldn't pass this up.
https://www.ctrlindustries.com/products/the-neo-samurai

Oh man I am always up for more Genki Sudo in my life

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, but at the same time if you have the same technique as a guy and are also stronger, you are gonna win. If BJJ was pure technique, there would be no weight classes in tournaments.

Jiu Jitsu means soft/flexible technique. If you're being overpowered, you'd do well to let your opponent smash himself into a submission or sweep. Yes, strength matters. However, technique matters much, much more. That's why Royce won the early UFCs and why Marcello would murder Haftor "The Mountain" Björnsson in a grappling contest. As you say, strength comes into it when you and your opponent are roughly within the same skill bracket. However, one hour of training technique will make you better at jiu jitsu than one hour training strength. Thus, it makes sense to focus on your technique, as it will faster put you in another skill bracket. It's literally more bang for your buck.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jiu Jitsu means soft/flexible technique. If you're being overpowered, you'd do well to let your opponent smash himself into a submission or sweep. Yes, strength matters. However, technique matters much, much more. That's why Royce won the early UFCs and why Marcello would murder Haftor "The Mountain" Björnsson in a grappling contest. As you say, strength comes into it when you and your opponent are roughly within the same skill bracket. However, one hour of training technique will make you better at jiu jitsu than one hour training strength. Thus, it makes sense to focus on your technique, as it will faster put you in another skill bracket. It's literally more bang for your buck.

As someone who has actually rolled with Marcelo, mentioning him as part of a "strength isn't important" argument is really funny. Dude is a loving miniaturized gorilla.

Sure, spending 10 hours in a week rolling is gonna make you better at grappling than spending 10 hours a week lifting. However, spending 8 hours a week rolling and 2 hours a week training strength and conditioning will make you better at grappling than just spending those 10 hours rolling.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY0PL5RYU8M

There are levels to this poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

As someone who has actually rolled with Marcelo

can you please recount how this was? i am genuinely fascinated watching marcelo tap askren like a dozen times in six minutes and just cannot imagine rolling with someone like him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

can you please recount how this was? i am genuinely fascinated watching marcelo tap askren like a dozen times in six minutes and just cannot imagine rolling with someone like him.

It felt the same as rolling with anyone else who's 1000x better than I am, so I don't think I can give too much insight. You do as much or as little as they feel like allowing you to do.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It felt the same as rolling with anyone else who's 1000x better than I am, so I don't think I can give too much insight. You do as much or as little as they feel like allowing you to do.

fair enough. i feel like that with good purple belts.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

dude, you should really lift weights

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I will say there is this one dude I roll with who is the skinniest dude I have ever seen and hes almost impossible to beat because it's like rolling with gumby. Dude is crazy flexible. One time after rolling I asked him where he learned to rubber guard and he was like "what's rubber guard". Dude just naturally does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quintet.3 is in 40mins if you forgot and decided to go out on a Friday.